S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Can't open center console - top section

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 S63
Can't open center console - top section

Worked fine one minute and then it didn't. The buttons won't depress on either side and I can't open the top cover. I can still access the large bottom section just fine.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Leo

Old 05-21-2020, 09:42 AM

2009 S63
I wanted to follow up on this post in case anyone else has the same problem.

For me the problem was created when I had the car in the shop to have the hazard lights switch replaced. This repair necessitated the disassembly of the center console and upon reassembly something didn't go back together quite right. The service advisor acknowledged the problem and fixed it for me.

The service advisor did note that the "console tabs were jamming up but may need replacement in the future due to wear".

Leo
Old 05-21-2020, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 863 Likes on 721 Posts
S500
make sure nothing is jammed round the edges.... then press or thump each corner firmly …. its probably just not correctly closed

if is FUBAR'd ...hard to believe but entirely true. The rear ash tray or heater module can just be pulled off by hand (get the top and peel back towards the rear armrest in the direction of the floor - its tight help on with metal spring clips).... with some fun, once that's out of the way, you'll see its hinged the whole thing folds up from the front up to the back of the car.... but to get it apart there are two torx screws holding the hinges.... a small bit of plastic trim needs to be tweaked to get clearance...

all a little fiddly and there are THREE types with a big tray or a smaller tray where its got the rear AC unit and for some reason another, I guess for a market somewhere. there are three video on youtube all doing the wrong thing... one guy from india almost getting it right...
The following users liked this post:
bajaleo (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments for a basic understanding of assembly, CLS but should be the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CLS front console cover.pdf (270.5 KB, 187 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:01 PM

2009 S63
Problem has returned

My non opening top console problem is back and I can see what's happening. On the front of the cover there are two small spring loaded tabs that get pushed upward when the cover closes.

They are moved by the corresponding feature on the inside of the console.

My problem is that the front of the top cover and the rear of the padded area aft of the hand rest are too far apart. The tabs on the cover and their counterpart never come into contact. Unless these tabs are moved upward the top console cover will not open.

It appears that either the cover must move forward a bit or the padded area in front needs to move aft a bit.

I have the factory manual so I have instructions to take the console apart. But if I don't have to take everything apart I'd rather not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Leo
Old 07-17-2020, 06:35 PM

2009 S63
Originally Posted by BOTUS
The rear ash tray or heater module can just be pulled off by hand (get the top and peel back towards the rear armrest in the direction of the floor - its tight help on with metal spring clips).... with some fun, once that's out of the way, you'll see its hinged the whole thing folds up from the front up to the back of the car.... but to get it apart there are two torx screws holding the hinges.... a small bit of plastic trim needs to be tweaked to get clearance.
Botus, you were correct. I pulled off the module behind the center console and was able to see the hinge for the console cover and the two torx screws and the slots they ride in. You can see in the picture that mine were adjusted so that the cover was in it's most rearward position. I loosened them both and pushed the cover forward and tightened them.

My cover now works fine.

Thanks Botus.