S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Problem Bluetooth/ HANDS-FREE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221/ s350 4-matic
Problem Bluetooth/ HANDS-FREE

Hello, I'm from Germany and my English is bad.
I'm trying google translate.
My S350 from 2008 has an NTG3.0. Now I have bought a puck B67880000. Use it with an Iphone 8. I understand everything very well in the car, but the person I called understands me very, very quietly or very poorly, as if I were whispering. I also have the problem with an old Nokia E51, a Samsung SGH-900 and also with an original cradle for an Iphone 4 if I put an old Iphone 4s in there too. Everything else works great. A new microphone did not help.

Now I suspect there is a problem with the car. I can't find any help in German forums, but maybe from you.
Since it is difficult to search in the forum as a German, I look forward to direct information or links to read.
Thanks and Best regards

Last edited by Schnitzler; 12-17-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 12-16-2020, 11:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
S350 2008
You need to press a buton on the bluetooth cradle until the blue led is flashing, it mean the bluetooth device is under discovery and pairing mode and then you pairing with your smart phone with password MBUSA
Old 12-17-2020, 01:13 AM

w221/ s350 4-matic
I don't know if I expressed myself badly. I have no problems connecting my phones. My problem is the poor quality of the voice from the car to the telephone partner
Old 12-17-2020, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
there are about 4 different versions of that device. I don't know which is newest

On the back of it is a label with info about its age. Merc NEVER bothered to issue Firmware updates to bug fix these. Another one B67876168 with HW 19.06 (HW for hardware which suggests is a 2019 version), with SW 10.10 (SW for its internal FIRMWARE but Mercedes use the wrong naming conventions - Which suggests they last updated the way it works in 2010). If that's the case thats' terrible as the world of Bluetooth had a major overhaul in Q2 2012. Virtually all BT devices worth using had updates to the way they function.

Some people do seem to have issues with BT on the S class I don't know why.

Is the car running the last iteration of software for the in car entertainment? (about 4 bits get flashed in one round - called a telematics update). And did you fix the time and date. The time bit has nothing to do with the BT but may as well have as much running last versions available.

I run a Viseeo MB-3 they all do the same (with the MB-3, the MB-4 and MB-4+) doing what the Merc bit you bought does but via a third party bit of kit. But its more configurable and runs a more modern software set up (when its running the last Firmware / Software versions) they even do siri. If you try one of these will help you know if its the car or your Merc BT adapter. Worth knowing as its not in the manual - for the W221, these viseeo devices need to run the hidden dip switch settings in NTG 4 mode or the thing acts all strange.

There's also a third choice which is an SAP BT device but apple doesn't support BT protocol. And they seem to work funny on the S class.

The only other thought I had was these early 221 in Europe (I think with option 388, rather than 386) it can support BT on its own.... BUT its not to connect a mobile phone. Its a silly idea for a BT dumb handset in the rear seats. If you've connected to this BT connection it almost works, but is all rather odd and unsuccessful, it rings and they hear you, but you will never hear them.

FYI viseeo firmware info

MB-3

21 Jun 2011 MB-3 CPU Software Ver.027 released
Fixes not sending phonebook to COMAND system when receiving more than 2000 entries from a single handset

21 Jul 2011 MB-3 CPU Software Ver.031 released
Corrects the Windows Phone 7's compatibility issues

6 Jan 2012 MB-3 CPU Software Ver.032 released
Correct iPhone's phonebook issue on MB-3

7 Mar 2012 MB-3 CPU Software Ver.043 released - Major Updates! - After updates you will be able to enjoy three major extra features not found previously:
1. SIRI Activation from Mercedes console keypads
2. Phonebook Type Selection function which allows you to choose which types of phonebook contacts to be uploaded into your Mercedes head unit.
3. Bluetooth PIN Selection which is designed for changing pairing code to 0000 in order to pair successfully with Android Phone (including Samsung Galaxy phones W, R, S2, etc) with OS Version 2.3.4 or over.

27 September 2013 MB-3 CPU Software Ver.048 released
1. The paired devices were not cleared after master reset.
2. There was no response when pressing previous track from the wired remote control.

This Update also clears a few bugs and improves the overall usability. It is highly recommended that you update your MB-3 as soon as possible....

MB-4

17 Feb 2012 MB-4 CPU Software Ver.4.2 released
Enjoy SIRI activation, Phonebook Type Selection for Sync, and Mercedes Keypad Control of MB-4's Functions...

6 Mar 2012 MB-4 CPU Ver.4.5 released
This version has improved SIRI usability and also corrected two minor issues. If you are a heavy user of SIRI we suggest you update to this version.

7 May 2012 MB-4 CPU Ver.4.8 released
This version of software adds Dutch and French menu on your MB-4. It also corrects phonebook auto sync issues occurred on D2B version of UHI (2004 Mercedes)

13 Jun 2012 MB-4 CPU Update Ver.4.9 released
This version of update improves the phonebook sync function that occasionally does not automatically start when switch between paired phones using the Quick Switch Button function.

xx xxx 201x MB-4 CPU Update Ver.5.1 released
1. Improve the SIRI activation function when using iPhone's SIRI to call out from the phonebook.
2. Improve the Caller-ID function

18 Sep 2013 MB-4 CPU Update Ver.5.2 released - IMPORTANT!!! Please update the software and master rest the unit.
1.Solve the issue that the paired devices are not cleared after mastered reset.

MB-4+

4 August 2014 MB-4+ CPU Update Ver.1.019 released

Last edited by BOTUS; 12-17-2020 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:51 AM

w221/ s350 4-matic
Thank you for your feedback.
At first I thought the bluetooth puck was broken. But there was still an old and original Iphone 4 cradle in the car. I borrowed an old Iphone 4s and put it in the cradle. But since everything works, only the person called understands me very quietly. So I tested the puck with 3 different phones and a fourth phone (iphone 4s) with the original cradle, where you can plug in the iphone 4 and use the external antenna. The error remains unchanged, even with a new microphone.
Now I think it's not the puck or the cradle or the microphone. Is there a control unit or amplifier for the telephone or microphone? Everything works very well. Telephoning also works. The called party hears me too, but much too quietly. I've read several posts with this problem but never found a solution. I fixed the problem with the analog clock myself with new software from mbworld.org and also installed the last maps for navigation. I don't know if the phone was without any issues before the updates.
I hope, google translate makes it good :-)
Old 12-17-2020, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
there is a phone module buried somewhere... seldom heard they fail (but of course possible) - I was looking at mine in a call the other day and I think I saw the phone menus on the comand screen showed a microphone off menu option (seemed a bit mad - worth a check ???)

the early bugs in the comand software should have been removed by the time they made yours if its 2008?
however there was one BIG update to the telematics after the early bugs that was really the facelift update.... your car could just fall in the earlier car and might never have had the major update? The easiest way to see if that update is on your car is to check in the navigation options, to see if in the map view you have 3d maps option - called Bird's-eye in Merc world. If that's missing then it could well be worth an hours labour at a main dealer to get the last update... and whilst there they can fix the clock for time and data bug due to WNRO event on the satellite's time change in 2019

P-B-82.85/512a SEPT06 – Telematics System software update.

SYSTEM CONDITIONS:
- Sporadic resets of the COMAND head unit, system will power off then on
- During start up the system is not readily available and Central Controller cannot be operated
- When attempting to change the multi-contour seat preferences the Central Controller does not respond or the system cannot be accessed; and/or when the user has multiple entries in the Address and/or Telephone Books the system may incorrectly display only one entry.

AUDIO CONDITIONS:
- No sound during start up and Instrument Cluster displays “Audio off” until the user cycles the ignition
- Head unit does not display the last used Entertainment Mode (DVD Audio, FM, and AM) used prior to ignition off or system off for over 6 hours
- MP3 Audio CD/DVD tracks skip and/or interrupt especially at the beginning stages of the track
- Intermittent Audio CD/DVD not recognized by the player

NAVIGATION CONDITIONS:
- Blue route missing after the user scrolls over the map during active route guidance
- Intermittently the Head Unit does not display the map
- Inaccurate navigation visual or voice recommendations during active route guidance
- Incorrect navigation position that lasts for more than 5 minutes

Campaign 2006110005 NOV06, Note: not every vehicle in the VIN range affected, call your dealer to check VMI. Install software for Navigation System – Dealers will update the navigation disc in the affected vehicles as required. Approximately 12,559 vehicles are affected. VIN range:

221.171 A002624 – A100038
221.176 A022878 – A099920
221.179 A067424 – A099727
221.186 A083850 – A100125
Navigation DVD part # A 221 827 30 59 (v3.0)

P-B-82.85/512g SEPT08 COMAND and Telematics system having any of the conditions below the COMAND Head Unit and Telematics Ring software is to be updated with DAS and Telematics disc A221 827 63 59 ES2: 0002 (or newer).

- Intermittently, head unit does not display radio station name, artist and track (RDS) info
- During a multi-line telephone call in navigation screen, the COMAND display may turn dark
- Audio source volume not lowering during a navigation announcement in route guidance
- Intermittently, vehicle shows incorrect position even with more than three satellites visible
- Wrong navigation compass indicator
- Intermittently, back up camera image not shown on the COMAND display
- User’s cellular telephone phonebook entries are not completely down loaded
- COMAND display swivels left-right on its own and may not stop until driver turns ignition off
- Intermittent resets of the COMAND head unit
- During an active telephone call user tries to reject it by pressing REJECT both calls terminate
- Intermittently, head unit does not correctly toggle between name and # in telephone book
- No sound on startup with empty play field on head unit
- Incorrect GPS coordinates displayed in status line
- Inaccurate navigation voice or visual announcements during active route guidance

P-B-82.85/512P Jan20 – Telematics System software update

The following complaints may be noted by the customer:
- The analog clock time cannot be set/changed
- The date is shown incorrectly
- A change to the time in COMAND is not accepted by the analog clock

Last edited by BOTUS; 12-17-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:01 AM

w221/ s350 4-matic
Many Thanks.
Your help and expertise is really great. My car doesn't show any of the faults mentioned. I made the new software with the clock problem and the latest maps myself. Since/After this work I have discovered the 3D "Vogelperspektive" for the first time. But what I noticed is that my music doesn't get quieter when the navigation is talking. I think I'll have to go to Mercedes someday. Thank you again and everyone stays healthy.
Greetings from near Cologne
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
….hummm The radio (or any other source) not fading back when Nav instruction plays is a BUG Mercedes don't know they introduced

I believe it comes from a Rear SAM update that breaks it.

Rear SAM updated via SCN

From 2214421300

To 2219024903 SW09.43 and then mute feature is broken, I believe 2214422600 SW07/20 would be more suitable for the car, but Mercedes think they know better

there is a secondary fade for >75 vol where it will mute if you have the source very loud
additionally there appears to be a bit of software they gave up with and left bits behind !!! when a nav instruction is playing, press down the comand knob and you have a 5 position click setting - (you can still feel the haptic feedback during this Nav overlay instruction but nothing changes) I believe this is supposed to be the level of fade but either it was NEVER on the cars, or one of the software updated wiped it out and they never realised
Old 12-17-2020, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
3d maps might have come from a Map update, early cars didn't have it, the fix was the big software update and new mapping
the clock fix only resolved the time and date.... its a small cut down update (unless after adopting it Mercedes released a complete update). It was developed by an enthusiast here and some colleagues
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...me-issues.html
Old 12-17-2020, 11:39 AM

w221/ s350 4-matic
It's more difficult for me with old English skills and google translate, but much more informative.
I will contact you when I, a friend with a star diagnosis or Mercedes have found the cause.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
no one ever found the cure

the car takes noise info from a microphone (possibly the phone mic?) via the upper control module (or overhead control module - not sure which) to the rear SAM, together with road speed data from the ABS module again processed in the rear SAM, it works out what to do and changes the way the speed dependant volume on the radio works, the traffic message overlay or indeed the Navigation instruction overlay

Audio fadeout Audio-Fadeout Audio Ausblendung
speed-dependent volume control geschwindigkeitsabhängige Lautstärkeregelung
Navigation mute Navigationsstummschaltung
Mute the sound Schalten Sie den Ton stumm (Audio-) Stummschaltung
reduction die Ermäßigung Reduzieren / die Reduktion
read aloud traffic messages Verkehrsmeldungen vorlesen Verkehrsmeldungen (laut) vorlesen
speed assists Geschwindigkeit hilft Geschwindigkeitsassistent
noise reduction Lärmminderung Geräuschreduzierung
Fade radio with message overlay Radio mit Nachrichtenüberlagerung ausblenden Radio (-lautstärke) reduzieren (ausblenden) bei Nachrichtenüberlagerung
Old 12-18-2020, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
even the technical documentation lists features for the driver to adjust that's not in the owners manual and worse still not even fitted to the car, so is it any wonder they break things ? I'm not allowed to say it here but they are clueless fools

the software they put in the Rear SAM under SCN these days is from cars that originally had this menu choice in the later NTG3.5 head unit. I suspect its disabled in the rear SAM. Thus it no longer functions and the user has NO menu to re-enable on a car with the earlier NTG3.0 system so its just broken.

check for GF82.85-P-0003-06SX

claims: The volume of voice output for navigation can be changed during voice output. A certain difference in volume (adjustable in the "System settings" menu) between the audio signal and the voice output is maintained automatically.

which is untrue

Old 12-18-2020, 12:57 PM

w221/ s350 4-matic
It's unbelievable and sad for Mercedes.
But I can come to terms with it. Let's see how long I have fun with this car. ;-)
My problem is, whenever I've fixed everything and it's perfect for me, it gets boring
But the W221 makes it difficult for me to repair and improve everything.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Schnitzler
It's unbelievable and sad for Mercedes.
But I can come to terms with it. Let's see how long I have fun with this car. ;-)
My problem is, whenever I've fixed everything and it's perfect for me, it gets boring
But the W221 makes it difficult for me to repair and improve everything.
Just one very basic thing. I don’t know if your car has this setting but in my 2013 model there is an audio reception and transmit volume setting under the Bluetooth phones. I can change how loud my speaking is going out. I think there is Hi, Normal and Minimum settings available.

I assume you have already checked this but in case you have not...

P.S. I like ALT...😊
Old 12-21-2020, 01:46 PM

w221/ s350 4-matic
Unfortunately, the old W221 does not have this option.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 S550, 2004 G500, 2020 Cayenne
I had the same issue, and the issue was the voice command module.
I've got he used one for $80.00 and it took me less than a hour to replace it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tion-help.html