S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Going to buy 2013 W221, a few simple questions for current owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W12 Phaeton
Going to buy 2013 W221, a few simple questions for current owners

I downloaded the 2013 S Class brochure and was reading through it so I can learn about what the car can do, and given how old it is, I have a few questions that should be really easy for those who currently have one:
1. The car has active blind spot assist, can the active part be turned off so it will still alert me (flash or sound) but not auto correct be away from the blindspot? I'd like to make it "passive" if that's possible in the settings.
2. Can Attention Assist and Lane Keep Assist be turned off completely?
3. What's the best way to stream bluetooth music? I've heard use the ipod cord with a bluetooth adapter, since I've heard the MB head unit doesn't have BT streaming as a feature-just phone calls. Is this true/the best way to do it?
4. The brochure talks about mbrace having features of locking/unlocking your car via an app and also finding your car via an app if it's stolen. Are these features still available if I sign up?
5. Can you have the digital speed displayed at all time since I never look at the analog gauge and would live digital mph to be always on display
Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Silver 2013 S500 AMG. 4.7 litre V8 Bi Turbo 7 Speed Gearbox
Hello,
I have had my 2013 S500 since October 2021. It had 78,000km on it when I bought it and is now close to 110,000.
I do a lot of work and recreational driving !

In that time I have fixed,

leaking vacumn bottle for dynamic seats
Central Gateway Module replaced
steering pump
Minor Oil Leak
Minor ATF leak
Horns replaced

While it looks like a lot of work, I think it fair for a near on 10 year old car, that has been well maintained by its prior owner.

In answer to your questions.
1:
I don't think my active blind spot 'steers' me away from a collision ? It only flashes in the outside mirror and has a loud tone inside the car.
Perhaps I have never diverted into enough danger for it to take over the steering ??

2:
Yes, both can be turned off quickly and easily by the dashboard menu options.

3:
I had a Limcet box installed by an audio shop. I think these units are sold under a variety of trade names.
It is hidden behind the command unit and sits between the Command and rest of the system
Now, with a long press of the Tel/Navi button I can toggle between command and Apple Play or Android at will.
I use all the MB knobs and dials for both systems. Very happy with it and I am using the one screen for both systems.

I tried other options, but wasn't happy with any of the other cables or bluetooth options. They were too fiddly and none of them worked
with the screen in the dashboard.

4:
Lots of different 3rd party apps that are probably much cheaper than anything MB supplies to remotely start your car.
Look around and find something you are happy with. I have not really spent any time researching this option.
Also consider an AirTag or similar 3rd party tracking app to locate your car if stolen. The AirTags are cheap, work for at least
12 months without needing battery change and a stolen car may have a thief with an iphone in it sending you the locations!

5:
Yes, I have Dig speed on ALL the time. very easy to toggle between mileage / trip counters with a single push on the steering wheel buttons.

Enjoy....
Old 10-08-2022, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
blind spot assist it just a nagging light in the mirrors - where its audio too, there's a lot of people with earlier cars saying interference from other brands using the same frequency does their head in, after-market parking sensors, renault, nissan, jag and ford use the same frequencies and the merc picks it up and goes crazy - later tech was adopted on newer cars using frequencies that are less problematic

steer assist became an option in the last iterations that had distronic plus (active cruise control) - bit like tesla auto pilot - not sure anyone ever said they had a car with it fitted

security tech on older brands and keyfobs that stay awake, allows scum with a laptop to scan outside you home for the key and to re-radiate this back to his mate who opens the doors and starts the cars as if he has the physical key and drives off no questions asked - in general ANY keyless car has this issue - at home later keys from 2018 on Ford and a few other go to sleep if its static (35k BWM motorbikes are still live 24 7 !!!) the issue is they just have to grab the signal as you walk off at the shopping centre and its a free car - GPS tackers are just a sales gimmicks - all the thieves know where the manu fit them and u just cut one wire and its off - the others u either scan and throw them away, or just park in another shopping centre for 2 days, if its still there its yours... its all intentional - more car theft = higher vehicle sales - so its all good
Old 10-09-2022, 11:06 AM

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz S550
Hi, it’s unfortunate about the Bluetooth music streaming, I didn’t even consider that to not be a possibility when buying mine.

I also have a question for someone with more knowledge. How do I turn on climate “sync”? Basically I only want to adjust the temperature on my side and have it change both sides. Right now I have to do my side and the passenger side, which is annoying.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2022, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the idea of the system is its so sophisticated u set the temp and it stays there to the best of its ability (based on the amount of energy available from the system and the ambient conditions), you should never have to touch the temp once set for the rest of the cars life

for people that don't understand physics or what a thermostat does, AKA to accommodate the poor education / wrong thinking / or peculiarities of some humans (usual the wife), they build in a part way version of what you want - if you go to the extremes of the setpoint on either side of the car - it forces the other side of the car to match

but when I explain how the system works, you should realise its shouldn't make any difference to waste your time fiddling with the setpoint like its a pin-ball machine - if you set it at 70F when its 120F outside the system will provide just as much cooling capacity, as if you wind it to the Min setpoint - (exact same situation with heating) - the thermostat tells the controls system to give best possible heat or cooling energy output to best maintain or when a long way from setpoint to give max available energy output !!! and ONLY as the temp closes in on the setpoint will it ease off so it doesn't overshoot the setpoint - it uses full knowledge of the capability of the heating and cooling systems output under given conditions, engine temp etc. the exterior conditions, including factoring the wind chill from the vehicle's speed, solar gain from the windows and bodywork, and on mine the interior temp at 9 locations inside to manage the heating or cooling output required to hit asap or maintain that set temperature

the ONLY time where you believe this not to be the case, will be when you force high heat or cooling settings and tolerate going way past your setpoint

Last edited by BOTUS; 10-09-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:20 PM

2012 Mercedes-Benz S550
So you can’t sync the climate together to adjust both at the same time?
Old 10-09-2022, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the feature you are asking about its NOT a feature of the car - which is why I just wrote this section repeated below, in my earlier reply

accommodating the poor education / wrong thinking / or peculiarities of some humans (usual the wife), they build in a part way version of what you want - if you go to the extremes of the setpoint on either side of the car - it forces the other side of the car to match

the simple approach - put it as 70 and never touch it again

Last edited by BOTUS; 10-09-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:37 PM

2012 Mercedes-Benz S550
Okay, thanks. I don’t want it at 70 (or any temperature for that matter) all the time. I like it at 80+ in the mornings and less than 65 in the afternoons.

While I understand the want to automate things like this, I don’t like not having the option to do it myself. But oh well, I was sort of used to it in my CLS too.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
S 350 Petrol
Originally Posted by cruiser02
Basically I only want to adjust the temperature on my side and have it change both sides. Right now I have to do my side and the passenger side, which is annoying.

Thanks!
On my 2006 car there is a "tick box" in the a/c menu labelled "mono" - if this is ticked the temperature goes up/down at the same rate on both sides.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lotus GT:
cruiser02 (10-10-2022), vettebk (10-12-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 10:59 AM

2012 Mercedes-Benz S550
Originally Posted by Lotus GT
On my 2006 car there is a "tick box" in the a/c menu labelled "mono" - if this is ticked the temperature goes up/down at the same rate on both sides.
Yes! This is perfect, thank you very much!