S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Auto-dimming electrochromic mirror dirver-side only?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 07:59 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
Auto-dimming electrochromic mirror dirver-side only?

My 2007 S500 has two different mirror glasses left/right:

driver/left

passenger/right

i guess the left has auto-dimming (electrochromatic) and the right doesn't.
Is that normal?
Since the auto-dimming requires 2 extra wires (and a plug) that my passenger mirror does not have, could i get a complete RHD right side mirror with auto dimming?

Last edited by Jaap; 06-16-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2024, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 870 Likes on 626 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Jaap
My 2007 S500 has two different mirror glasses left/right:

driver/left

passenger/right

i guess the left has auto-dimming (electrochromatic) and the right doesn't.
Is that normal?
Since the auto-dimming requires 2 extra wires (and a plug) that my passenger mirror does not have, could i get a complete RHD right side mirror with auto dimming?
Only the driver side mirror is auto dimming in these cars in US market. Passenger side is not as it is convex glass and sends way less light in your eyes than the straight glass driver side mirror does.

Wonder if cars in England of Australia or other left hand traffic country have the auto dimming function at all as in Europe both mirrors are convex? I would think they do and would not be surprised if both side mirrors are auto dimming.

US market area cars are built cheap and miss lots of features, like sound insulation, compared to European cars as selling prices here are a lot lower than in Europe.

If you find auto dimming mirror for the passenger side you may still be missing wiring for it but I don’t know. I have not opened my side mirrors yet in either of my MBs.
Old 06-16-2024, 11:11 AM

2006 W221 S500L
Yeah my passenger side IS missing the wiring inside the mirror, i checked.
But if i get one with the extra wires/connectors, i'm afraid it might still not work because the passenger-side door module may not send the signal at all.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 870 Likes on 626 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Jaap
Yeah my passenger side IS missing the wiring inside the mirror, i checked.
But if i get one with the extra wires/connectors, i'm afraid it might still not work because the passenger-side door module may not send the signal at all.
If there is no wiring, I would not even think about trying to do it.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by Arrie
If there is no wiring, I would not even think about trying to do it.
This I checked for a price just for the passenger side mirror from the Benz dealer as I thought the same as you and wanted both my mirrors to match and they wanted a kidney AND liver for payment so i left.
vettebk (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 833 Likes on 699 Posts
S500
if you buy a BMW you get two proper outside mirrors
if you get a Merc you get a budget one that dies, and one real one

as suggested if you drive on the wrong side of the road and want to make the car driveable at night - get an Oz or UK door mirror from the drivers side - its PLUG and PLAY the door module knows what to do and it just works

same for RHD get a mirror from Germany - off you go

my car has 3 dimming mirrors (the old 211 E class door module works the same way) - the whole idea can be done with NO effort without touching the door card - the silly black semi circle that vanishes with the door closed gets you to the wiring plugs on the door module

Opps edited muddled RHD and LHD above

Last edited by BOTUS; 06-17-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Jaap (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:36 PM

Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by BOTUS
if you buy a BMW you get two proper outside mirrors
if you get a Merc you get a budget one that dies, and one real one

as suggested if you drive on the wrong side of the road and want to make the car driveable at night - get an Oz or UK door mirror from the drivers side - its PLUG and PLAY the door module knows what to do and it just works

same for LHD get a mirror from Germany - off you go

my car has 3 dimming mirrors (the old 211 E class door module work the same way - the whole idea can be done with NO effort without touching the door card - the silly black semi circle that vanishes with the door mirror closed gets you to the wiring plugs on the door module
So being in the US, if I get a driver side mirror from Germany, I can put it on my passenger side and there are wires already there to receive the new mirror and I'm golden??? If I understood this correctly, this site bout to cost me some money, cuz I'm about to mod this bus like nobodys business!!!

Last edited by Ultrakla$$ic; 06-17-2024 at 02:37 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-17-2024, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by Ultrakla$$ic
So being in the US, if I get a driver side mirror from Germany, I can put it on my passenger side and there are wires already there to receive the new mirror and I'm golden??? If I understood this correctly, this site bout to cost me some money, cuz I'm about to mod this bus like nobodys business!!!
NO, corrected my post above - got muddled we drive on the left in RHD cars - so UK, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Southern Africa, India, Thailand and LOTS of others have the correct drivers mirror for SOME markets where the steering wheel is on the wrong side

the only possible fly in the ointment can be the mirror tint colour and the degree of size reduction in the image (and if fitted blind-spot warning) - I did the same on my fathers E class but my first attempt getting the mirror from the USA went wrong - and it was unusable due to the weird size image it created - at one point USA drivers couldn't understand a small car image with lots of critical info in the field of view was really useful - and mandated the image was the real size, so you got an utterly pointless 1/2 a headlamp in the mirror, instead of the 17 cars behind you !!!!!

Last edited by BOTUS; 06-17-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:56 PM

Benz w221 s550
.............. so you got an utterly pointless 1/2 a headlamp in the mirror, instead of the 17 cars behind you !!!!!

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

2006 W221 S500L
I received a RHD mirror from the UK.
Notes so far:
0. My car does not have the 2 extra wires for the electrochrome function on the passenger side.
1. Pry the mirrorglass off very very gently. I did each (reachable) little plastic tab separately first (allowing them to spring back) before i tried to pull the mirrorglass off completely.
2. The mirror base is a different shape, physically, so it needs to be swapped.
3. Getting the rubber boot on the car-side of the mirror base off is a pain. It's held on with one of those push-on nuts that will not release :-(
4. The electric connector to the blinker is very fragile and you can barely reach it.

Push-on nut

Last edited by Jaap; Yesterday at 08:26 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
????

you need the drivers mirror from an opposite hand drive car (as std only drivers side gets the real mirror)
the 211 is a pain to get off due to the three 5 point torx screws you can't reach
the 221 is simple as - 20 mins start to finish swapping the whole mirror

the other method of stripping and adding wires is fun and games - the 221 mirror is insane to strip down - threading wires is time consuming, the sheath is so tight, all in to add the 2 wires u need and rebuild took me 4 hrs

Last edited by BOTUS; Yesterday at 02:56 PM.
Old Today, 07:22 AM

2006 W221 S500L
????
you need the drivers mirror from an opposite hand drive car (as std only drivers side gets the real mirror)
Yes i have an LHD car. Bought an RHD right mirror.
The angle of the mirror to the car is different (which is logical, it was driver's side and will now be used as a pasenger mirror)