S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Low beam out , xenon,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s550 4matic
Low beam out , xenon,

2007 s550 any suggestions that won’t break the bank
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
S500
could try the LED versions of a DS1 bulb double check thats the right type

whiter and use same energy
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

2007 s550 4matic
Low beam out -Bi xenon

my s550 has bi xenon active headlights , so I believe it’s a ds2 bulb.

Is this correct for Bi xenon , the left low beam is out message
Old Today, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I would have accepted I might have got muddled on the name - only remember its same ones as one of my old BMW bikes which is a D1R 12V 35W - which is the big square box behind the bulb - so if your saying a DS2 whats going on, a DS2 is a silly round bulb holder ? DR1 is now superseded by a DS1 I belive

.... someone here went LED just after I ordered a set of posh Philips upgrade xenon's (that had just smashed a win on a comparison review by autoexpress) - then had a fight about out of stock ...

but then winter ended before I got them, and only fitted 3 months back - it all kicked of with me having a go at autoexpress for recommending a supplier that let me down, they were great and said it was Philips that recco that supplier... and pushed me to Philips who rang me back and kicked **** to get the bulbs double quick....

but what has turned up is horrible... the old bulbs were much better (I will either put them back or try LED versions !!!! ) these are all packaged as Philips and look well made - but seem more yellow and dimmer with a very patchy beam spread - the real ones are allegedly much more white, brighter and meant to have a perfect spread of evenly lit light that reaches off the record books for distance...

disappointing doesn't touch it - what I have been given are shockingly horrible

Old Today, 05:20 AM

2007 s550 4matic
D1S low beam Bi xenon

So D1S is correct and try LED perhaps ? Not sure ho I got this d2 incorrect info
Old Today, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
now studying those pictures ... there's some sort of shade on a D1R that's the difference on DS1... (in all DR vs DS bulbs) but no one seems to sell DR1 type any more and don't recollect the bit on the ones I removed

maybe the bike is different and its always on DR1 without the mechanical blind bi-xenon's use to toggle low high beam ?

yep...

DR1 the r is for reflector lamp units with s for projector light units..... DC1 is a budget mess that can fit in either but the beam is wrong for reflector lamp units
the bike brings on other bulbs for main beam..... so its an always on boring xenon that does nothing interesting between low and main beam

https://lumenshpl.com/pages/oe-xenon_hid

Last edited by BOTUS; Today at 05:35 AM.
Old Today, 05:45 AM

Received 340 Likes on 212 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Mandomin
2007 s550 any suggestions that won’t break the bank
I have been looking at bulbs as of late. My headlights were not very good when I got my car a few years ago. I had a BMW 7 Series w/ Xenon years back, and they were awesome. So I figured my bulbs were tired and could use a fresh set. Nope, the new Phillips I bought were just as lame. I watched a few reviews on YouTube, but none seem to be obviously a great choice. So bought a cheap set on Amazon of the 6000k variety...I'll report back here after I install them if they are better. But basically, I don't think there are any great options in D1S.
Old Today, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the square box of tricks often known as the igniter to get 85V for the DS1 bulbs is why they cost too much - novsight who make great LEDs have a new range but want you to chop off the plug and bodge it (no thank you)

they have done it so they can make one LED xenon type replacement of all the DS1 DS2 DS3 and DS4fittments - why didn't they just make adapter for the OEM looms !

https://www.novsights.com/en-int/pro...-plug-and-play
Old Today, 06:05 AM

2007 s550 4matic
Bi xenon

So to clarify is the DS1 is the correct bulb to use for 2007 s550 w/bi xenon lamps
Old Today, 06:20 AM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
Originally Posted by Mandomin
my s550 has bi xenon active headlights , so I believe it’s a ds2 bulb.

Is this correct for Bi xenon , the left low beam is out message
You're looking at the wrong car. This is for a W220, but you have a W221.
Old Today, 06:28 AM

2007 s550 4matic
W221 bi xenon

Just noticed that 🤦‍♂️
Old Today, 06:50 AM

2006 W221 S500L
Just look it up in your owner's guide.
Mine are D1S but ymmv.
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (Today)
Old Today, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by nath_h
I have been looking at bulbs as of late. My headlights were not very good when I got my car a few years ago. I had a BMW 7 Series w/ Xenon years back, and they were awesome. So I figured my bulbs were tired and could use a fresh set. Nope,
do you have night vision and or maybe answer the question no one bothered to help me with in 8 years being on this forum...

if you have night vision option - the mainbeam is a sick joke of glow worm nothingness with single light unit per side and is frankly deadly
if you don't have night vision please pop on main beam and let me know if you have one bulb lit per side or two per side...

my omega had what I now have plus 2 x 55w halogens on main beam and was barley safe
my BMW had all 4 - but only lit 2 on main beam - yet were somehow far less pathetic than my 221
her focus gets 4 x 55w halogens and after fitting LEDs on the dip beam, it has far better light on low beam than my 221 has on main beam...

Last edited by BOTUS; Today at 02:42 PM.
Old Today, 02:50 PM

2006 W221 S500L
Originally Posted by BOTUS
if you don't have night vision please pop on main beam and let me know if you have one bulb lit per side or two per side...
I don't have nightvision and when i put on the high beams (is that what you mean?) the flap in front of the xenons flaps down and the halogen inner high beams light up.

The following users liked this post:
BOTUS (Today)
Old Today, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
thanks !!!

dip / dipped / low beam
high / main beam / full beam

so you get 4 x bulbs on main beam ? not just flashing the lights -
wow so night vision really is a deadly option - as they use your further main beam light units for the IR bulbs
so I only get 2 - plus a feature you use once to show your mates

Last edited by BOTUS; Today at 03:23 PM.