S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2014 S-class

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Germancar1
So in other words nothing. The car used was all Black inside right? A Ghost would look the same way. Do you think there is MB Tex is a U.S. market S-Class? Really, think about that.

So far you haven't given anything specific other than "look at it". The press has clearly stated that this S-Class can compete with Bentley and Rolls in the interior department. They've been in the car, you haven't. Until I get to see it for myself I think I'll go with that.

That said, compete with isn't the same thing as being = to or better. Keep that in mind.

M
I know my M-B interiors well enough to see the headliner the W222 is using seems very close to the E-Class, the bare plastics the same as possibly any volume M-B, and the design much less physically adorned than a Ghost. The lower center console looks extremely plain with a plastic-y kind of flat look whereas in the Ghost you have more wood and "glitz" for lack of a better word. I can almost promise that when you feel around, especially if you know how a Ghost feels inside (I've sat in one), you'll feel an instant aura of less plushness in about every material aspect. I'm also close to positive that all S550's use M-B tex for their stitched surfaces along the doors, consoles and dash (NOT talking about the seats, I assume those are still Nappa), which someone with a W221 can confirm either way. The RR's will use full blown real hand crafted leather everywhere, and instead of M-B's thin standard grade carpeting and headliner, you'll have plush, higher quality, rare materials in both those places.

Of course we won't know this until everyone gets their hands on one and actually has been in a Ghost to compare and can give an objective review, but I don't think there will be any doubts, personally. Now I definitely agree with you in that RR knows how to build *PERCEPTION*, it's all fluff, an attack on your senses. The *FUNDAMENTAL* build quality of the interior is another story, and the S very well can be ahead for all I know.

SHOULD the S Class be expected to compete with a Ghost? Hell no, but the M-B loyalists and M-B themselves are the ones who had alluded to a comparison, hence the comparison.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

The S's interior simply doesn't compare, IMO.

Last edited by K-A; 08-15-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
FYI

There is no MB tex available in the US on the S550.

The progression is:

Leather

Nappa $2290

Exclusive Nappa (quilting on the dash and seats, dinamica headliner) TBD (which also requires exclusive trim) Prob: 5-7K

Designo
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by LETO
FYI

There is no MB tex available in the US on the S550.

The progression is:

Leather

Nappa $2290

Exclusive Nappa (quilting on the dash and seats, dinamica headliner) TBD (which also requires exclusive trim) Prob: 5-7K

Designo
True, I need to clarify: I was talking about the dash and other stitched surfaces in the S that ARE NOT the seats (the seats are real leather). Aside from I assume the door inserts, I believe the dash leather and accompanying surfaces like that use M-B Tex? I'm almost positive the W221 does in those areas and the W222 won't change from that, if that is indeed the case about the W221.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Exhibit A:

That ostrich interior is custom. You should know that. It may not be even RR made.

Tarted up 7 series interior with better grade finishes but horrible ergonimics as everything is super upright. It looks like a chest of drawers!

Exhibit B:

The S's interior simply doesn't compare, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Of course it does not. This is the most boring configuration possible all black

The
Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by K-A
I know my M-B interiors well enough to see the headliner the W222 is using seems very close to the E-Class, the bare plastics the same as possibly any volume M-B, and the design much less physically adorned than a Ghost. The lower center console looks extremely plain with a plastic-y kind of flat look whereas in the Ghost you have more wood and "glitz" for lack of a better word. I can almost promise that when you feel around, especially if you know how a Ghost feels inside (I've sat in one), you'll feel an instant aura of less plushness in about every material aspect. I'm also close to positive that all S550's use M-B tex for their stitched surfaces along the doors, consoles and dash (NOT talking about the seats, I assume those are still Nappa), which someone with a W221 can confirm either way. The RR's will use full blown real hand crafted leather everywhere, and instead of M-B's thin standard grade carpeting and headliner, you'll have plush, higher quality, rare materials in both those places.

Of course we won't know this until everyone gets their hands on one and actually has been in a Ghost to compare and can give an objective review, but I don't think there will be any doubts, personally. Now I definitely agree with you in that RR knows how to build *PERCEPTION*, it's all fluff, an attack on your senses. The *FUNDAMENTAL* build quality of the interior is another story, and the S very well can be ahead for all I know.

SHOULD the S Class be expected to compete with a Ghost? Hell no, but the M-B loyalists and M-B themselves are the ones who had alluded to a comparison, hence the comparison.

The S's interior simply doesn't compare, IMO.

Now that is the more like it, some actual substance. Yes the Rolls has more glitz but the S can be optioned up to a point very close to that. To say that the S just doesn't compare is just not so IMO. It is at least in the conversation and again this is the S550 we're talking about so far. Also, you're not comparing the best S550s that we've seen so far. The Rolls really only has more metal and padding on and in the dashboard to give it that look.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 08-15-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Tarted up 7 series interior with better grade finishes but horrible ergonimics as everything is super upright. It looks like a chest of drawers!

"The S's interior simply doesn't compare, IMO."

Of course it does not. This is the most boring configuration possible all black
That's my "case" if you will. All black is my favorite interior combo (and why I used it on a Ghost). IMO the reason the S interior has allowed people to perceive it as comparable to cars selling for 3 times more is because M-B used ridiculously glammy press pics with very wild color combos.

The truth comes out in all black, the rest is just superfluous and "extra", IMO. If the S interior looks that "bland" in all black, IMO the interior was overstated by M-B marketing to begin with. That's not to say it's "bad" by any means (far from it), simply "overstated" hence the exuberant comparisons.

The Rolls' interior is definitely more clunky and less streamlined, but it looks more upscale and special to me.

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Now that is the more like it, some actual substance. Yes the Rolls has more glitz but the S can be optioned up to a point very close to that. To say that the S just doesn't compare is just not so IMO. It is at least in the conversation and again this is the S550 we're talking about so far. Also, you're not comparing the best S550s that we've seen so far. The Rolls really only has more metal and padding on and in the dashboard to give it that look.

M
Yes, I agree in many ways and fully acknowledge that the Rolls is all about the fine details and materials to give it that more premium "look", but IMO it does the job compared to the W222 I showed above. As for why I used that particular combo, see my reply to LETO above, which is the very reason I started this topic back up (have been trying to find examples of the more "normal equipped" W222 interiors for some time and that video had it).
Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
True, I need to clarify: I was talking about the dash and other stitched surfaces in the S that ARE NOT the seats (the seats are real leather). Aside from I assume the door inserts, I believe the dash leather and accompanying surfaces like that use M-B Tex? I'm almost positive the W221 does in those areas and the W222 won't change from that, if that is indeed the case about the W221.
After the facelift, the lower dash & doors in the W221 was the same leather as the seats when nappa was chosen. The top dash in the W221 was always cheap.

In the W222: the order guide provides three distinctive color zones. I am pretty certain with exclusive nappa the center & top of the dash are nappa. On regular leather it is prob some tex like stuff. On Nappa, I don't know will have to touch and see.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
By default, all S-Class Designo, S600 and S65 have nappa leather on all dash and all door and interior surfaces. The headliner is Alcantara...

I am not sure though, the S550 exclusive napa may also have the leather dash on the W222.
But I even had leather on the on dash etc. on our CL500 and SL55 as well. Not MB-tex.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
To K-A: Nor sure that I agree with your description of the glitzy press pics. This is simply the same leather you'll find in the Edition 1 launch series. Nothing more.

Plus I have the same color combo in our Sl550 (Porcellain white/black napa leather with black ash) as shown in many of the photos and it looks just as stunning

I have only have 3 LED colors in the car but the effect is outstanding at night.

Our 750li I sapphire black with black napa leather and black ash and I can vouch that while cool looking, it is the most boring color combo even on the BMW
Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 986 Likes on 722 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I would love to be able comfortably afford to buy a black on black base interior W222 and even if I had the money to pick a RR or Bentley it wouldn't even be a consideration. With an S Class you get something for your money. The only thing that and RR or Bentley does is scream that you have money. People know that you aren't some E -Class leaser.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 08-15-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

After the facelift, the lower dash & doors in the W221 was the same leather as the seats when nappa was chosen. The top dash in the W221 was always cheap.

In the W222: the order guide provides three distinctive color zones. I am pretty certain with exclusive nappa the center & top of the dash are nappa. On regular leather it is prob some tex like stuff. On Nappa, I don't know will have to touch and see.
Ah, that makes sense. Tex on the regular S's and assumedly Nappa surfaces on the Nappa package. How much is the Nappa package? I honestly would probably have tex if it were me buying, because I'm always paranoid about longevity, and I'd wonder how Nappa on the dash and stuff would age with the exposure to sunlight, etc. it gets. Nappa is a beautiful leather but isn't known so well for its aging abilities. With M-B tex you're essentially getting "padded and stitched plastic" on the dash and door trims on the S, but that stuff usually lasts a lifetime.

Originally Posted by Wolfman
To K-A: Nor sure that I agree with your description of the glitzy press pics. This is simply the same leather you'll find in the Edition 1 launch series. Nothing more.

Plus I have the same color combo in our Sl550 (Porcellain white/black napa leather with black ash) as shown in many of the photos and it looks just as stunning

I have only have 3 LED colors in the car but the effect is outstanding at night.

Our 750li I sapphire black with black napa leather and black ash and I can vouch that while cool looking, it is the most boring color combo even on the BMW
Yeah, black/black is always gonna look more "plain", but it's usually the first color combo I choose. IMO black/black can still look ritzy and standout in its understated way.

But come to think of it, black/black compliments a more sporty setup. I.e I'd get black black in a 911, but more colors in a Panamera. Or I'd get black/black in a 5 Series but in a 7 I'd imagine I'd want some tan and more tones in there, or with a Benz I'd go black/black on a C Class or sportier Coupe offering but would go with the black/porcelain or whatever gives the lighter color seats on the S. I think black/black looks a little too awkwardly simple on the S because the interior really wants to harken a more true-to-form-classic-luxury theme and black/black being a little too "sporty" may clash with that. The interior begs to be dressed up with colors and surfaces, IMO.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
S-Class mule spotted in LA by my eagle eyed friend this afternoon:
Attached Thumbnails 2014 S-class-img953512.jpg   2014 S-class-img957169.png  
Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
2 more in LA today
Attached Thumbnails 2014 S-class-img959065.jpg   2014 S-class-img952786.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM

KA - Nappa is $2290. Exclusive Nappa. i.e. Nappa with quilting and more range of colors is not priced yet. It also requires the extended trim package that gives you more wood in places like the top back part of the two front seats. Also, it looks like trhe exclusive nappa gives you the dinamica headliner. I would assume 5K+ for this. It is nice that this option exists at a lower price point that designo.

If I remember correctly W221 had IR resistant glass. I assume W222 should have the same. I have never had any issues with leather wear in an MB. Although, the longest I have kept an MB is 3 years
Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
seems to me, that interior deserves the best it can get: designo seems to be the only way to go
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
KA - Nappa is $2290. Exclusive Nappa. i.e. Nappa with quilting and more range of colors is not priced yet. It also requires the extended trim package that gives you more wood in places like the top back part of the two front seats. Also, it looks like trhe exclusive nappa gives you the dinamica headliner. I would assume 5K+ for this. It is nice that this option exists at a lower price point that designo.

If I remember correctly W221 had IR resistant glass. I assume W222 should have the same. I have never had any issues with leather wear in an MB. Although, the longest I have kept an MB is 3 years

The exclusive nappa is the only price I'm waiting on.

So far I'm ordering S550 black exterior, 505 exclusive nappa silk beige interior, 421 sport package plus, P01 premium 1 package, 997 driver assistance package, 525 air balance package, and possibly 308 refrigerator (waiting on pricing and if it requires co-existing package).

Just got a budget increase I wasn't expecting, so I'm not gonna be so bare-bone anymore....
Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Exhibit A:

It has less in common with a 7 series then most people think.
Besides the powertrain based (but not identical) on 760 V12 and redesigned floor pan there is nothing else really.
Ghost has not just exquisite interior,it is the refinement and total isolation from outside world that differs it from "common" cars like S-Class or 7 series.
You really have to drive it for more then customary 15 min test drive to truly appreciate it.
I see a lot of negative and disparaging comments from folks who probably know there is no possibility of them ever owning one so they try to convince themselves and everyone else that they really don't like it ,because it's "just another 7".
I am looking forward to see the new S,if only to see how much they narrowed the gap to Ghost or Mulsanne.
Now,waiting for the usual barking.....
Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I walked by a Ghost tonight with some sort of speciality body kit (seemed OEM, reminded me of those racy-looking OEM packages that come on the Continental GT) and the windows were down. I think a lot of people truly "want" the more attainable S Class to challenge it in these respects, but in this particular outfit the Ghost was simply jaw dropping, and the smell coming out of it was intoxicating to a degree where a mass market S Class with lots more interior plastics will have a touch time being able to muster. The gap will have been narrowed, but IMO clearly not fulfilled.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
The exclusive nappa is the only price I'm waiting on.

So far I'm ordering S550 black exterior, 505 exclusive nappa silk beige interior, 421 sport package plus, P01 premium 1 package, 997 driver assistance package, 525 air balance package, and possibly 308 refrigerator (waiting on pricing and if it requires co-existing package).

Just got a budget increase I wasn't expecting, so I'm not gonna be so bare-bone anymore....
Now that's more like it. Cheers!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by absent
It has less in common with a 7 series then most people think.
Besides the powertrain based (but not identical) on 760 V12 and redesigned floor pan there is nothing else really.
Ghost has not just exquisite interior,it is the refinement and total isolation from outside world that differs it from "common" cars like S-Class or 7 series.
You really have to drive it for more then customary 15 min test drive to truly appreciate it.
I see a lot of negative and disparaging comments from folks who probably know there is no possibility of them ever owning one so they try to convince themselves and everyone else that they really don't like it ,because it's "just another 7".
I am looking forward to see the new S,if only to see how much they narrowed the gap to Ghost or Mulsanne.
Now,waiting for the usual barking.....
I am absolutely not criticizing the ghost for it's quality. I just do not care for it's aesthetics. If you love Louis XV style furniture you would probably appreciate the ghost. I totally agree on it's isolating characteristics. That has always been a RR breed standard.

Not all remarks stem from people who don't have the possibility of owning a particular car. Albeit if you scan through this forum you can chalk up the critique of the W222 "ordinary" or not to the logic that you mention.

For the record. Ghost v. Flying Spur. The Spur for me every time.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
For the record. Ghost v. "NEW" Flying Spur. The "NEW" Spur for me every time.
Fixed.
Agree.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Now that's more like it. Cheers!!!

Yeah, I thought I was gonna have only 10 grand for upgrades. But that just recently got changed....

So excited.....gonna place my order in this week.....finally.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
21" rims?

Last edited by dav461; 08-18-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
It's something about this car......it seems the bigger the rims, the better this car looks. This is why I'm ordering the 20" multispoke AMG wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 S-class