S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

130 MPH Top Speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 10:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 S 560 Cabriolet -2023 Demon 170 - 1961 Cadillac -2014 Cayman
S560 top speed is limited to 130 miles per hour.

Confirmed on the autobahn during European delivery November 2019. Car felt great at this speed.

Of course I was also driving hands free.
The following users liked this post:
Glowering (04-02-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 232 Posts
S600
Back when Texas World Speedway was still operational, I would go into Turn 1 off the front straight and down towards the radio tower entering at 162 MPH ! But this was in my Ferrari--a car setup to travel that fast with a modicum of stability and great control (and not overheat either). You had to setup the turn carefully to avoid the bump at the outside transition from the straight to the shoot which could throw you into the mowed area !!
Glowering (04-02-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic
Well, years ago when I posted this thread, I updated my ECU with Weistec programming which updated the hp to 540 and 715 lb-ft. Car already had ZR rated tires and I was able to hit a little past 190. I also changed my cluster to the S65 cluster. The car has long been sold and replaced with a W222

Glowering (04-02-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Where did you safely drive that speed?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:54 AM

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts
63 Falcon vert
Speed is fine till you lose control. While these cars can get you down the road in a hurry, they are not "purpose built" for that. Have I done it...yep. Dumb...yes. Do it again...?

As great as these cars are, there is no race seat, body harness, arm restrains, roll cage, fire suppression, fuel cell.....the list goes on. An S class can hug the road in style but off the road at speed you are likely history.

Not a lecture, friends. Just know your odds when you up the throttle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Donnymac:
DaveW68 (03-23-2021), Glowering (04-02-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Some of these comments are getting to be downright silly.

A regular S550/S560 is build for 155-160mph and can drive 150mph all day long without any risk whatsoever. You have more frequent trips to the gas station and have to check oil more often but this is what these cars are build for. Recognize that even the non-AMG versions can go faster as they are restricted to that speed. The S63 will go at least 186mph until it hits the limiter, which again is just a restriction, not the max speed of the car.
None of this is dangerous or risky if the streets are designed for it and the traffic laws allow it. Which means the Autobahn in Germany.

All restrictions to top speed limits are self-imposed by the manufacturer and not set by any agencies or laws. Sports car or niche manufacturers don't bother because it fits into their reputation or selling model. US manufacturers don't care because their cars are not ending up in those situations and it helps with bragging rights.
The restrictions in the US for the S-Class are selected arbitrarily and simply offer the widest choice of tires, keep service costs in check and should likely never be exceeded because there is no street environment in the US where this should matter due to low speed limits.

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-21-2021 at 03:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wolfman:
C280 Sport (03-22-2021), Glowering (04-02-2021), MBNUT1 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:25 AM

Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Some of these comments are getting to be downright silly.

A regular S550/S560 is build for 155-160mph and can drive 150mph all day long without any risk whatsoever. You have more frequent trips to the gas station and have to check oil more often but this is what these cars are build for. Recognize that even the non-AMG versions can go faster as they are restricted to that speed. The S63 will go at least 186mph until it hits the limiter, which again is just a restriction, not the max speed of the car.
None of this is dangerous or risky if the streets are designed for it and the traffic laws allow it. Which means the Autobahn in Germany.

All restrictions to top speed limits are self-imposed by the manufacturer and not set by any agencies or laws. Sports car or niche manufacturers don't bother because it fits into their reputation or selling model. US manufacturers don't care because their cars are not ending up in those situations and it helps with bragging rights.
The restrictions in the US for the S-Class are selected arbitrarily and simply offer the widest choice of tires, keep service costs in check and should likely never be exceeded because there is no street environment in the US where this should matter due to low speed limits.
i am afraid of being accosted ....BUT ... the cars are stable, tractable?, dont wander, or do anything frightening at any speed you drive it... to do it in traffic is insane, but on a "known" empty straight good road, I can assure you it is a "serene" experience...
the cars seem to be in their element at speed.. after the exhaust note of acceleration, is no longer needed... it is a smooth and serene ....and actually seems more quiet in the cabin... just my opinion as someone that has done albeit on very rare occasions
Glowering (04-02-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kafklatsch
i am afraid of being accosted ....BUT ... the cars are stable, tractable?, dont wander, or do anything frightening at any speed you drive it... to do it in traffic is insane, but on a "known" empty straight good road, I can assure you it is a "serene" experience...
the cars seem to be in their element at speed.. after the exhaust note of acceleration, is no longer needed... it is a smooth and serene ....and actually seems more quiet in the cabin... just my opinion as someone that has done albeit on very rare occasions
Empty roads or traffic makes no difference as long as the speeds are legal IMO. I have to differentiate between driving in the US (making a quick run on an empty road, rolling race) which is inherently more dangerous as you have inattentive drivers that may not check their mirrors or understanding how fast can car approach at speed and the roads are not build for the speed. Different at a race track but the S-Class have no business there.
We have driven well over 100,000 miles on the Autobahn, mostly for business travel, and driving 130 mph isn't particularly fast. Times have changed in Germany as well; traffic is denser and people are less disciplined than they used to and there are large sections of the autobahn with speed limits. But then there are also plenty of stretches that are wicked fun and one can go top speed until you get bored.

I recently saw a video on youtube which shows a guy driving his S-Class on the Autobahn. While some of the chatter/comments are questionable it shows of how easy the car navigates at speed in normal traffic....

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-22-2021 at 01:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Glowering (04-02-2021), MBNUT1 (03-22-2021), seamus2154 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 232 Posts
S600
But then there are also plenty of stretches that are wicked fun and one can go top speed until you get bored.
That is THE problem with high speed going in a straight line--it gets boring fast.

On the other hand, doing 162 MPH down into turn 1 never gets boring.......
Old 03-22-2021, 03:08 PM

All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
That is THE problem with high speed going in a straight line--it gets boring fast.

On the other hand, doing 162 MPH down into turn 1 never gets boring.......
one day my friend... one day...
Old 03-22-2021, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
Fun thread! It should be renamed "the race to kill yourself or other drivers on the road by driving like a selfish moron." Did anybody else happen to notice how fast those cars were blowing past the other cars on the road? If I were just paying attention to the road ahead and somebody blew by me going 80 MPH or more faster than I was, I think my heart would jump right out of my chest. And imagine looking over to your left and seeing a car that appears to be plenty far back, so you merge into the left lane not realizing that they are going that much faster than you. The speeder either drives their car up your **** or they try to make an evasive move and end up flipping their car into the oncoming lane of traffic.

The amount of stupid I see on the internet is pretty astounding.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DaveW68
Fun thread! It should be renamed "the race to kill yourself or other drivers on the road by driving like a selfish moron." Did anybody else happen to notice how fast those cars were blowing past the other cars on the road? If I were just paying attention to the road ahead and somebody blew by me going 80 MPH or more faster than I was, I think my heart would jump right out of my chest. And imagine looking over to your left and seeing a car that appears to be plenty far back, so you merge into the left lane not realizing that they are going that much faster than you. The speeder either drives their car up your **** or they try to make an evasive move and end up flipping their car into the oncoming lane of traffic.

yeah... especially politics...... ohhh... did I type that out loud ???
Old 03-22-2021, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
yeah... especially politics...... ohhh... did I type that out loud ???
You sure got that right! Have you tried to watch CNN, PMSNBC, and almost every other source of media in the last 4 years? You'd think that they were the mouthpieces of the CCP purposely spreading lies and false propaganda. I'm shocked and saddened that half of the country has no bit of common sense left to figure out that none of it makes any sense.
seamus2154 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

??? This is normal (light) traffic in Germany. Not only that, the video is an example of normal, non-aggressive driving that a typical S-Class driver would engage in. There are no speeders here as there is no speed limit. People move to the right lane after passing too (there is also a strict rule about passing on the left only).
The streets are also certified to more than 200mph (banking of curves, etc) and accident rates are lower in Germany than in the US as are the fatality rates. Lowest rates are on the Autobahn, btw. Driver education is also not comparable to the US.

No need to judge just because it's unfamiliar territory to you and your driving habits...

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-22-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
??? This is normal (light) traffic in Germany. Not only that, the video is an example of normal, non-aggressive driving that a typical S-Class driver would engage in. There are no speeders here as there is no speed limit. People move to the right lane after passing too (there is also a strict rule about passing on the left only).
The streets are also certified to more than 200mph (banking of curves, etc) and accident rates are lower in Germany than in the US as are the fatality rates. Lowest rates are on the Autobahn, btw. Driver education is also not comparable to the US.

No need to judge just because it's unfamiliar territory to you and your driving habits...
I don't care if that section of the Autobahn (if it even is the Autobahn) had speed limits or not. It was a 3 lane road with no shoulders and these guys were going up to 160 mph, perhaps faster blowing past other drivers like they were standing still. There was absolutely no room for error. And God forbid they have a tire blowout or something goes flying off their car at those speeds. They were endangering their own lives, not to mention the other drivers who were just minding their own business. I highly doubt that 160 mph or the more than 200 as you state above are "normal" speeds on those roads. I love high speeds. But it belongs on a track in a controlled environment where all drivers know what everybody else is doing. BTW, the maximum "recommended" speed on the sections of the Autobahn without speed limits is 80 MPH.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

I don't care if that section of the Autobahn (if it even is the Autobahn) had speed limits or not. It was a 3 lane road with no shoulders and these guys were going up to 160 mph, perhaps faster blowing past other drivers like they were standing still. There was absolutely no room for error. And God forbid they have a tire blowout or something goes flying off their car at those speeds. They were endangering their own lives, not to mention the other drivers who were just minding their own business. I highly doubt that 160 mph or the more than 200 as you state above are "normal" speeds on those roads. I love high speeds. But it belongs on a track in a controlled environment where all drivers know what everybody else is doing. BTW, the maximum "recommended" speed on the sections of the Autobahn without speed limits is 80 MPH.
It's OK for you don't understand driving in Germany. If it's not for you, there is always the right lane or taking a train.
Also, I don't recall saying that people drive 200mph, just that the streets are certified for the streets.
Here is a review of the new W223 S500 (in the rain)
and a S63

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-22-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 299 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I found it kind of funny that my Maybach tires are speed rated to 180 something and the car pulls really hard to 130 and then that is it.

Now on my AMG GTC it pulls hard to 143 and that was IT for me. I do not know if they put a limiter on that car.

At 130 in the Maybach you really dont know your going fast. In the GTc you do but then the convertible roof probably lets in the noise a lot at that speed.

These runs were done in the presence of no other drivers in remote areas and for BRIEF moments in time. I am not a speed demon crazy girl.
DaveW68 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:41 AM

DaveW68, maybe not as bad as it may seem buddy
below are statistics easily found online, i have no way of confirming their accuracy.

SPEED "LIMIT?" STATS FROM 2017 (wiki)
A 2017 report by the Federal Road Research Institute reported that in 2015 70.4% of the autobahn network had only the advisory speed limit, 6.2% had temporary speed limits due to weather or traffic conditions, and 23.4% had permanent speed limits.[2] Measurements from the German State of Brandenburg in 2006 showed average speeds of 142 km/h (88 mph) on a 6-lane section of autobahn in free-flowing conditions
MY COMMENT: advisory speed limits are not enforceable but instead are used as follows (wiki): Being involved in an accident driving at higher speeds can lead to the driver being deemed at least partially responsible due to "increased operating danger" ... this is the primary use of the "advisory speed"

ACCIDENT PROBABILITY (wiki)
For example, a person yearly traversing 15,000 kilometres (9,300 mi) on regular roads and 10,000 kilometres (6,200 mi) on motorways has an approximately 1 in 11,000 chance of dying in a car accident on a German road in any particular year (1 in 57,000 on an autobahn), compared to 1 in 3,800 in Czech Republic, 1 in 17,000 in Denmark, or 1 in 7,200 in the United States.
MY COMMENT: 1 IN 57,000 chance of dying on the autobahn at "mommy i'm so scared speeds" VS a 1 IN 7200 chance just motoring to the grocery store in the US

ACCIDENT STATISTICS (wiki)
In 2014, autobahns carried 31% of motorized road traffic while accounting for 11% of Germany's traffic deaths. The autobahn fatality rate of 1.6 deaths per billion travel-kilometres compared favorably with the 4.6 rate on urban streets and 6.5 rate on rural roads.
Between 1970 and 2010, overall German road
fatalities decreased by almost 80% from 19,193 to 3,648; over the same time period, autobahn deaths halved from 945 to 430 deaths. Statistics for 2013 show total German traffic deaths had declined to the lowest count ever recorded: 3,340 (428 on autobahns);

Germany accident stat table. BEST chance of living is on the "mommy in so scared Autobahn"

i dont condone high speed driving, but I personally did not by a 600HP car to drive it at 1mph to 70mph for its entire life. I also think I would do more harm in 0-60 in 4 seconds scants than I do by attaining a higher than advised speed once every year or two for 10 seconds. so i NEVER nail it...but may briskly merge into traffic...
remember...... some are better advised to stay out of the kitchen...

Last edited by kafklatsch; 03-23-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-23-2021, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
If the avg speed on the Autobahn is 88 mph, then that means it's very rare to have guys weaving in an out of traffic at 160 mph like the guys in the video posted above. The reason the accident rate on the Autobahn is lower is because there aren't any intersections in the areas with no posted speed limits. The vast majority of all accidents are collisions in intersections. I bet if you looked up the stats in the US, the accident rate would be substantially lower on open freeways and interstate highways.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:37 AM

If the avg speed on the Autobahn is 88 mph, then that means it's very rare to have guys weaving in an out of traffic at 160 mph like the guys in the video posted above. The reason the accident rate on the Autobahn is lower is because there aren't any intersections in the areas with no posted speed limits. The vast majority of all accidents are collisions in intersections. I bet if you looked up the stats in the US, the accident rate would be substantially lower on open freeways and interstate highways.
according to statista site for 2016, the US had 1.18 highway fatilities per 100,000,000 miles ( 1.18 per 100 million)
this equals 1.18 per 160,934,400 kilometers (1mile = 1.609344 km)

the conversion multiple vs Germany stats is 1,000,000,000km / 160,934,400km or 6.2137 multiple
so the USA equivalent for 1,000,000,000 km is 1.18 X 6.2137 ( = 7.33... wow)

comparison

7.33 deaths per 1,000,000,000 km USA
versus
1.6 deaths per 1,000,000,000 km GERMANY

i personally do not believe this, but the stats are online...and math is math... i believe the US is higher, but 5x higher is questionable... my math maybe?

according to stats and math, the autobahn is significantly safer.. also the stats for the autobahn do include ALL of the autobahn, urban and rural just as the US stats would

morbidity is uncool topic.... done

Last edited by kafklatsch; 03-23-2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-23-2021, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
according to statista site for 2016, the US had 1.18 highway fatilities per 100,000,000 miles ( 1.18 per 100 million)
this equal 1.18 per 160,934,400 kilometers (1mile = 1.609344 km)

the conversion multiple vs Germany stats is 1,000,000,000km / 160934400km or 6.2137 multiple
so the USA equivalent for 1,000,000,000 km is 1.18 X 6.2137 ( = 7.33... wow)

comparison

7.33 deaths per 1,000,000,000 km USA
versus
1.6 deaths per 1,000,000,000 km GERMANY

i personally do not believe this, but the stats are online...and math is math... i believe the US is higher, but 5x higher is questionable... my math maybe?

according to stats and math, the autobahn is significantly safer.. also the stats for the autobahn do include ALL of the autobahn, urban and rural just as the US stats would

morbidity is uncool topic.... done

Old 03-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

A quick google search does not replace actual knowledge and you appear to have insufficient information to draw your conclusions...
Old 03-23-2021, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
A quick google search does not replace actual knowledge and you appear to have insufficient information to draw your conclusions...
Hey Mr Moderator, how about you stop taking shots at me and concentrate on being a safe driver. Common sense seems to be a lost art.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
The original post of this thread from over 7 years ago was the OP complaining about a 130 mph speed limiter in the US. Then somehow, over 7 years later, Autobahn driving got introduced into the topic, which has absolutely nothing to do with topic, US speed limits, and driving conditions. How about we all try to put our eyes back on the ball. None of our US cars will likely ever spend one day on European soil again, so the Autobahn stats are completely moot to this topic.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:06 AM

Hey Mr Moderator, how about you stop taking shots at me and concentrate on being a safe driver. Common sense seems to be a lost art.
its going south guys...

safe driving is THEE goal
DaveW68 (03-23-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 130 MPH Top Speed