Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
W222 Vs 7-Series Vs A8 (Autobild Pic)

I'm not sure if this is a fully edited pic or at least based on an actual pic, but I've been wondering through all these super glossy, ultra edited, majestically lit pics, how much of *MY* positive taste toward the W222 is due to trickery. I think the headlights are shaped and mated with the design appallingly with no flow whatsoever, I think the side dropping line makes no sense with the rest of the design and finishes nowhere, and the proportions/dimensions are identical to the W221 which is a car I like but point is it's not different in that regard, yet somehow I feel an emotional connection & allure to the car in how M-B marketing has presented it to me. Now I see it next to its competitors, and I gotta say I think the other two look more favorable at this angle. Curious to know what others who are favorable to the S, but not committed to it, think:

Last edited by K-A; 05-22-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
I'm not sure if this is a fully edited pic or at least based on an actual pic, but I've been wondering through all these super glossy, ultra edited, majestically lit pics, how much of *MY* positive taste toward the W222 is due to trickery. I think the headlights are shaped and mated with the design appallingly with no flow whatsoever, I think the side dropping line makes no sense with the rest of the design and finishes nowhere, and the proportions/dimensions are identical to the W221 which is a car I like but point is it's not different in that regard, yet somehow I feel an emotional connection & allure to the car in how M-B marketing has presented it to me. Now I see it next to its competitors, and I gotta say I think the other two look more favorable at this angle. Curious to know what others who are favorable to the S, but not committed to it, think:

I personally prefer the new S-Class over the same 7 Series in the pic, which is the car I have. People complain about the gigantic grill, yet I think that Audi is still the master of the big grills, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I personally think that Audi's look extremely boring.

That said, Mercedes is making a broad move to their front facia and more curved designs across all their models. The new C-class will look similar and even the GL & ML have similar "design language".

In short, you may not like any MB's moving forward...

While it takes time to get used to MB's new designs (I am still not fully sold on the new SL front) they do look much more modern and flowing. I was surprised to see how "aged" our old SL600 (2005) looked standing next to the new one.

I for one like the new S and E class better than the prior ones. Never cared for the wheel arches on either or the prior edgy E-class front facia. Too "Cadillac"

In the end, it's all a matter of taste.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
I also prefer the new S to either the 7 or the Audi. All Audi's look alike to me, just different sizes, and the grill looks like a cow-catcher. The Mercedes is the most modern design to my eye. Of course, the real test will be to see the cars in person.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
It is literally mindblowing how many times K-A can rehash the same topic and continue to beat a dead horse with his inane musings on design.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM

Maybe it's separation anxiety? The F10 is actually pretty unattractive but we've all been too nice to go there.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
This is the internet. Dead horses are beat constantly here. Keep on trucking K-A. Whip it. Whip it good.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
LOL @ K-A. It's obvious that his training and qualifications in automotive design are light years ahead of everyone else.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Glad to entertain.

Originally Posted by boylston
Maybe it's separation anxiety? The F10 is actually pretty unattractive but we've all been too nice to go there.

This coming from a guy with a GLK and Panamera.

.... Actually I love the Panamera. Maybe I am crazy after all.

Originally Posted by ImInPA
This is the internet. Dead horses are beat constantly here. Keep on trucking K-A. Whip it. Whip it good.
Ain't that the truth. I didn't help make the W212 Forum one of the most active on MBWorld by not riling up a team of dead horses. Oddly enough, since I dragged them away, that Forum seems to be a yawnfest.

Last edited by K-A; 05-22-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I personally prefer the new S-Class over the same 7 Series in the pic, which is the car I have. People complain about the gigantic grill, yet I think that Audi is still the master of the big grills, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I personally think that Audi's look extremely boring.

That said, Mercedes is making a broad move to their front facia and more curved designs across all their models. The new C-class will look similar and even the GL & ML have similar "design language".

In short, you may not like any MB's moving forward...

While it takes time to get used to MB's new designs (I am still not fully sold on the new SL front) they do look much more modern and flowing. I was surprised to see how "aged" our old SL600 (2005) looked standing next to the new one.

I for one like the new S and E class better than the prior ones. Never cared for the wheel arches on either or the prior edgy E-class front facia. Too "Cadillac"

In the end, it's all a matter of taste.
Well said. I too am not big on Audi's. Even though BMW shares the "same sausage, different length" idiom, I feel each car carries its own distinct presence. The A8 on the other hand does look nice and sometimes holds a nice presence on the road.... but the vast majority of time it really has not much more "oomph" or changeability from the A4 to me.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, I am optimistic about the W205. The reason being - once the MB stylists remove all the defining design elements from the E and S (front lights on the E, side profile of the S), the car at the bottom of the sausage chain becomes the most attractive based on price. Look at the facelifted E - it looks like a stretched W204, its lost all its identify as an E. Who is going to buy it when a new larger W205 C, with an S class looking rear end, comes to market? Not me. And the E is the bread and butter car for MB.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by nyca
Actually, I am optimistic about the W205. The reason being - once the MB stylists remove all the defining design elements from the E and S (front lights on the E, side profile of the S), the car at the bottom of the sausage chain becomes the most attractive based on price. Look at the facelifted E - it looks like a stretched W204, its lost all its identify as an E. Who is going to buy it when a new larger W205 C, with an S class looking rear end, comes to market? Not me. And the E is the bread and butter car for MB.
Yeah, I can't believe what M-B did to the E. Astoundingly, surprisingly juvenile and disgraceful "update", if you ask me.... being someone who's been a staunch E Class fan for years.

M-B said that the W205 will be the model to truly fully introduce the "next design language" as the W222 is perhaps the first ever S-Class not to do so (though they said it would introduce an all new interior design language which we see is the case), so what you say is probably true in regards to the C being the one to completely drop any remnants of the W221 generation (which got chaotic as the W212 and CLS, etc. started already deviating from its identity).
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
It is literally mindblowing how many times K-A can rehash the same topic and continue to beat a dead horse with his inane musings on design.
+1
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by aypues
+1
+2
Old 05-23-2013, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, I can't believe what M-B did to the E. Astoundingly, surprisingly juvenile and disgraceful "update", if you ask me.... being someone who's been a staunch E Class fan for years.

M-B said that the W205 will be the model to truly fully introduce the "next design language" as the W222 is perhaps the first ever S-Class not to do so (though they said it would introduce an all new interior design language which we see is the case), so what you say is probably true in regards to the C being the one to completely drop any remnants of the W221 generation (which got chaotic as the W212 and CLS, etc. started already deviating from its identity).
Not sure about your statement about the W205. Seeing the latest pics, it's a watered down W222 design with a semi CLA interior.

My readings on your comments are that these new designs are just not your cup of tea but in the case of the S-Class or even the C-Class they are long planned, very deliberate design ideas. So, get used to them or stay with BMW

I do agree with you on the E-class; it is half-baked as it is just a facelift. Some old, some new. I felt the same way about the 2009+ SL...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Not sure about your statement about the W205. Seeing the latest pics, it's a watered down W222 design with a semi CLA interior.

My readings on your comments are that these new designs are just not your cup of tea but in the case of the S-Class or even the C-Class they are long planned, very deliberate design ideas. So, get used to them or stay with BMW

I do agree with you on the E-class; it is half-baked as it is just a facelift. Some old, some new. I felt the same way about the 2009+ SL...
I read an interview with Gordon Wagener or someone from the M-B design team who states that the W205 would get the "full next generation design language". Though via spy pics it does look like a mix of C204 evolutionary proportions and W222 details so not sure what that was about. Perhaps they were talking about it being the first car on the MRA platform which confused me.... but pretty sure I remember it right. And your readings are certainly correct.

I at least sure hope the E facelift wasn't long and deliberate in design planning. I'll have more faith in the team if they can at least admit it was a last minute "Oh Sh*t"er.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
+1
+2
Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
+2
+4
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM

"Juvenile and disgraceful" wow- never heard those words used to describe a new car design before, or do you use that to describe all of MB management? Let's check in a year and see how many are sold, I bet it will be plenty. Maybe it's time for you to migrate back to a BMW forum and trash the MB there? I for one am tired of seeing it here.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by boylston
"Juvenile and disgraceful" wow- never heard those words used to describe a new car design before, or do you use that to describe all of MB management? Let's check in a year and see how many are sold, I bet it will be plenty. Maybe it's time for you to migrate back to a BMW forum and trash the MB there? I for one am tired of seeing it here.
Sales are meaningless when discussing how good or bad a car of a caliber brand looks. Joe & Jane Housewife will Lease E's in droves as long as they get blowout discounts and a Star emblem on the car (and yes, the same goes for BMW).

The pre-facelift E certainly sold well (in the U.S) and M-B deemed it incapable of running a full production cycle looking as it did. I find the facelift design juvenile as it makes no sense whatsoever and looks like a "W212 kit car" and the way they treated a hallmark nameplate being the E Class disgraceful. As for M-B management, I left the brand so that obviously speaks for how I view them in that regard.

My opinions rile up fanboys, yes. The fact that I can articulate and explain them makes it even more frustrating, I'll bet. Fact is, these are just cars, and you throwing your angst at me "personally" is more uncalled for then me explaining why those who don't have a marriage to the Star might not like the direction they're going in.

Some people here are so sensitive. BMW forums are full of guys who trash BMW, and people respect their constant rants as long as they come from a place of passion.... why? Because BMW is a brand of passionate followers who will love or hate that of which they're passionate in. Some on the MB Forums get xenophobic towards that as they clinically follow whatever direction Daimler Corp takes them in.

Last edited by K-A; 05-23-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Hahaha. I just realized who this is. OliverS, you changed your name because your pessimistic, antagonizing, valueless contributions tarnished said name too much? At least I don't use my time here to simply go and jealously bash users of all types for expressing lively sentiments/opinions of all types.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by K-A
Hahaha. I just realized who this is. OliverS, you changed your name because your pessimistic, antagonizing, valueless contributions tarnished said name too much? At least I don't use my time here to simply go and jealously bash users of all types for expressing lively sentiments/opinions of all types.
there's trolls on every forum. sad but true.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

there's trolls on every forum. sad but true.
Very true. Oliver S aka "Quadcammer" has been trying to E-ride me for years now. The fact that he had to CHANGE HIS NAME shows just how lowly regarded he was. Yes, people may be bothered by me riling perceptions or opinions up.... even if they be my own, however with him, they simply wouldn't pay attention.

I've messed around with people on Forums, but believe it or not, on M-B World, even my controversial views or posts are at least coming from a genuine place, and I'm not here to antagonize members.... maybe their perceptions.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by K-A
Putting a lot of weight into a name change huh? perhaps i did it for consistency with other forums. Considering I changed absolutely nothing else except for the name, which is easily searchable for anyone willing to care, sure seems like I care about my "reputation". I write up DIYs for my model and assist people with technical problems. You spend paragraph after paragraph rehashing your inane thoughts on vehicle design. Dare we go through your 211, 212, f10 transition and the massive contradictions and hypocrisy?

Originally Posted by K-A
Very true. Oliver S aka "Quadcammer" has been trying to E-ride me for years now. The fact that he had to CHANGE HIS NAME shows just how lowly regarded he was. Yes, people may be bothered by me riling perceptions or opinions up.... even if they be my own, however with him, they simply wouldn't pay attention.

I've messed around with people on Forums, but believe it or not, on M-B World, even my controversial views or posts are at least coming from a genuine place, and I'm not here to antagonize members.... maybe their perceptions.
E-ride you? There is nothing to E-ride. You are a joke. A little boy who likes to feel special. I don't need you to provide flowery soliloquies on vehicle design. Seriously, time for you to run along.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 SL550
Originally Posted by K-A

I think the W222 looks good, need to see it in person, I may get one. I used to drive BMW's, I think they lost their way, now they are the German GM. Have had 3 A8's, great cars but want a change, I hope the new S drives nice, a bit concerned that the platform is a carryover but if it performs well, I will probably get it.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
How big is the % of people who cross shop the S class with the 7 series and the A8? The latter two seem alot sportier than the former. I would cross shop the S with like Range Rover.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W222 Vs 7-Series Vs A8 (Autobild Pic)