S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Options - most favorite least favorite

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus LS
Options - most favorite least favorite

I have a s550 4matic ordered for December delivery and am curious as to what others who have got their cars already think about the options they got.
I have time to add/subtract from my order and will consider what others think.
Right now I have ordered it in ruby black with
standard silk beige/espresso brown leather
premium 1
rear refrigerator
surround view camera
myrtle w/exclusive trim
burmester high-end 3d
heated rear seats
driver assistance package
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
my car has the same interior: I think you'll be quite pleased
3D sound is great......makes the HK in my CLS sound so puny lol....

considered night vision? splitview is cool. Rear spoiler?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 S550v4 2014 E350 Cabrio
I have the surround view on my Cabriolet and find it useful; and have ordered it on my S550.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
‘23 Rivian R1S, ‘22 Maybach S, ‘24 RR Autobiography, ‘22 Tesla X, & ‘9
Keep in mind you lose trunk space with 3D sound. I wouldn't get Splitview again.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Keep in mind that you have the exclusive nappa and he is ordering the standard interior. There is a difference between the two.

The standard is nice but your interior really goes that extra mile.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Lexus LS
3D sound is great......makes the HK in my CLS sound so puny lol....

considered night vision? splitview is cool. Rear spoiler?
sti

Thanks all for the input. My biggest quandary is with the interior - whether to get the nappa or not, although I do have it in my Lexus. Massachusetts doesn't allow splitview so that is not an option. I am looking forward to a good car music system, the Mark Levinson in my LS sucks.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Tomshop
Keep in mind you lose trunk space with 3D sound. I wouldn't get Splitview again.
not that much space........
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Keep in mind that you have the exclusive nappa and he is ordering the standard interior. There is a difference between the two.

The standard is nice but your interior really goes that extra mile.
oh, didn't realize........I just meant the same color scheme......
Originally Posted by rusty104
sti

Thanks all for the input. My biggest quandary is with the interior - whether to get the nappa or not, although I do have it in my Lexus. Massachusetts doesn't allow splitview so that is not an option. I am looking forward to a good car music system, the Mark Levinson in my LS sucks.
what? another state that forbids splitview? how odd.....guessing it's for safety?
what is the cell phone rule there?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I think these states may not fully understand what it is. It was created to be legal, that's the whole reason for it. I think they probably read a press sheet and saw, "allows DVD while driving" and they said, "heck no!", but it doesn't impact the driver at all. I blame these states fur jumping the gun and not really knowing how it works!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
I have a s550 4matic ordered for December delivery and am curious as to what others who have got their cars already think about the options they got.
I have time to add/subtract from my order and will consider what others think.
Right now I have ordered it in ruby black with
standard silk beige/espresso brown leather
premium 1
rear refrigerator
surround view camera
myrtle w/exclusive trim
burmester high-end 3d
heated rear seats
driver assistance package

My Build was as follows:

2014 S5504matic
Obsidian Black
Silk Beige/Espresso Nappa Leather
Prem 1 Package
321 Sports Package
Warmth & Comfort Package
Air Balance (now std for 2015)
Burl Walnut Wood Trim
Driver Assistance Package

If re-ordering for 2015 model I would have added Head Up Display and the Heated Windshield (this assumes you live in a cold winter climate).

You might consider doing the Sports Package, dropping the $6400 high end stereo (the standard system is really a kick *** system and $6400 is a big cost for the upgrade--but then again the Sports Package is $5,900--all personal preference). I will tell you that the standard system is 100 times better then my '08 S550 4matic Harmon Kardon system. The new std Burmester system is simply awesome. I want to drive my car just to listen to the music come out of the stereo system. Caveat--I have not heard the sound from the High End $6400 system. In my mind I just don't know how $6,400 really could upgrade the system much--all personal preference I guess.

The one thing I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND is the Nappa or Exclusive Nappa. These two interiors are well worth the extra money. I even wish I would have gone for the Exclusive Nappa but my Nappa is a great upgrade from the Std leather as well.

I also would recommend that if you are getting heated rear seats you go to the Warmth and Comfort Package. You get the heated steering wheel, heated door panels and center armrests, and the rear seats are the adjustable bucket type seats--well worth the extra dollars if you are planning on getting heated rear seats.

This is all personal preference stuff--so just take the above as my 2 cents.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
not that much space........

oh, didn't realize........I just meant the same color scheme......

what? another state that forbids splitview? how odd.....guessing it's for safety?
what is the cell phone rule there?
I live in PA and my dealer told me that they can't turn on Splitview...but I ordered the option anyway. The production date for my order is scheduled for end of June. I figure I will get another out of state dealership to enable that for me. Our legal system failed to catch up with technologies.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:28 AM

'14 SL550
I have the same color interior, it is beautiful. But I did upgrade to the Nappa Exclusive, it is expensive but worth it. The car looks great with this option, I also added some other exclusive trim option (and the Myrtle wood color) as well that adds a bit more wood to the car. If cost is a concern, drop something else, the S550 looks best with Nappa Exclusive in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Lexus LS
finalized order

Originally Posted by clembo
I have the same color interior, it is beautiful. But I did upgrade to the Nappa Exclusive, it is expensive but worth it. The car looks great with this option, I also added some other exclusive trim option (and the Myrtle wood color) as well that adds a bit more wood to the car. If cost is a concern, drop something else, the S550 looks best with Nappa Exclusive in my opinion.

Thanks to all for their input. I did add the Nappa after reading everyone's input. Although I added rear seat heater, this is not my winter ride so I didn't add any of the other winter features. I thought the rear heaters should be standard and might be needed on a colder night.

I like the 20" rims the best but as I travel in areas where there are potholes big enough to swallow Mini Coopers whole, I decided to keep the wheels that give me the most rubber between the road and the rim.

The Burmester upgrade is probably overkill but I said screw it.

Attached is the order for my European delivery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2015s550.PDF (755.7 KB, 286 views)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Thanks to all for their input. I did add the Nappa after reading everyone's input. Although I added rear seat heater, this is not my winter ride so I didn't add any of the other winter features. I thought the rear heaters should be standard and might be needed on a colder night.

I like the 20" rims the best but as I travel in areas where there are potholes big enough to swallow Mini Coopers whole, I decided to keep the wheels that give me the most rubber between the road and the rim.

6 month wait????
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Looks like Herbert is your salesman based on those arrows...good choice!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Lexus LS
my choice

Originally Posted by texex91
6 month wait????

I wanted to go to the Christmas markets in December and travel through Switzerland in the winter.

If I had ordered other than what Mercedes calls "special order" I could have flown in to Stuttgart picked up the car and driven to Paris where I am going next month. But not enough lead time.

Herbert has been super!!! I highly recommend using him.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
sti

That's a bit surprising that you say the LS Mark Levinson "sucks". I had an LS with it and I thought it was pretty good. But, I agree that the standard Burmester system on this LS is better.

If I were to order the 2015 S now, I would definitely get the HUD and heated windshield.

The one option that I am still debating to this day is the Warmth and Comfort package. Like you, I just ordered it with the heated rear seats and heated steering wheel, but I did not order the package and perhaps I should have for a few more $bucks. The one thing that made clinched my decision was when I read that this option slightly reduces trunk space due to the reclining rear seats I guess. I wanted the trunk to be as big as possible since I was use to the 18 cubic foot trunk on my LS.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 AM

2005 Honda Odyssey, 2012 GTR
Wonder how good the A/C seats work??
Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
That's a bit surprising that you say the LS Mark Levinson "sucks". I had an LS with it and I thought it was pretty good. But, I agree that the standard Burmester system on this LS is better.

Wait, you mean the standard system on the S is better than the Mark Levinson on the LS? You said "LS is better" but did you mean to say "S"?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by jdmmbz
Wonder how good the A/C seats work??
I don't think they're cooled as much as ventilated......but I may be wrong, they do provide a nice cool spot
Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Lexus LS
Mark Levinson

Originally Posted by BeanTrader

If I were to order the 2015 S now, I would definitely get the HUD and heated windshield.

The one option that I am still debating to this day is the Warmth and Comfort package. Like you, I just ordered it with the heated rear seats and heated steering wheel, but I did not order the package and perhaps I should have for a few more $bucks. The one thing that made clinched my decision was when I read that this option slightly reduces trunk space due to the reclining rear seats I guess. I wanted the trunk to be as big as possible since I was use to the 18 cubic foot trunk on my LS.

The Mark Levinson is made by Harman so maybe it's comparable to the prior MB one. Not much bass in mine. My Grand Cherokee SRT8 has the optional sound system and sounds much better than the ML one. I drove a vette with a HUD and personally found it distracting but a lot of people like it.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
I don't think they're cooled as much as ventilated......but I may be wrong, they do provide a nice cool spot

The A/C seats are not designed to blow air out of the seats.

I must have complained to the local MB dealer on my '01 S550, my '06 S550 4matic, and my '08 S550 4matic. This old dog takes awhile to learn that they are not designed to blow air. A friend of mine buys Cadillac cars. His seats blow air out of the seats like a fast moving fan. MB's are designed just to cool the seat. In my opinion the MB ventilated part of the seats are really not worth much. And yes my '14 S550 4matic A/C seats works the same as my previous S class cars--they don't do much! Atlest compared to my friend's Cadillac.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Jason B
Wait, you mean the standard system on the S is better than the Mark Levinson on the LS? You said "LS is better" but did you mean to say "S"?
I swear that I thought I had typed "S" and not "LS". Maybe the auto correct pulled a fast one on me. Yes, the system on the S is better than the Mark Levinson on the LS.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I personally think the stereo upgrade was worth it
Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 AM

2014SLK, 2012 E550
I have ordered the following for September overseas delivery;
Designo Diamond White
Porcelain/Black exclusive Nappa
Designo brown sunburst myrtle wood trim
Premium 1 Package
20" Multispoke AMG wheels
Sport Package
Head up display
Surround view camera
Night view assist plus
Exclusive trim
Driver assistance Package
Splitview

I picked up a 2014 S Class last September. It had limited options and I therefore did not keep it.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
I personally think the stereo upgrade was worth it
I drove one for a day with 3D--certainly not worth $6500 to me. Use that for other options that make a difference. The 'base' Burmester is nothing short of amazing. Get executive leather package or something else...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Options - most favorite least favorite