S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S Class Plug In Hybrid due in Sep.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65
S Class Plug In Hybrid due in Sep.

According to Autocar magazine, quoting Thomas Weber of MB, the S class plug in hybrid will be available in Sep.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...brid-push-2020

This is a lot earlier than expected. Maybe that's the date for Europe.

Last edited by cymro; 05-27-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Clear explanation of Autocar magazine
Old 05-27-2014, 06:22 PM

cls500 and cls55
who the hell wants a ****ing hybrid?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by luger
who the hell wants a ****ing hybrid?
Yup. Hybrids are selling very poorly in the upper end segment of cars sold in the US. Few want to pay $60-100K and end up having to carry around 2 drivetrains along with all the complexities of maintaining both drivetrains.

The current E400 hybrid is Mercedes' worst selling car and last month it is the second worst selling car model of any manufacturer. It's interesting to see the vehicles that actually sold better than the E class hybrid.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobi...tml/?a=viewall

Mercedes should put the technology from the SLS AMG Electric with a larger battery pack and offer a premium no compromise EV with about a 300 mile range that can accelerate to 60 in < 5 seconds. Hopefully they will start doing that after they get done building nonsense hybrids that apparently no one is interested in buying, especially if it has similar specs to the current S class hybrid.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Yup. Hybrids are selling very poorly in the upper end segment of cars sold in the US. Few want to pay $60-100K and end up having to carry around 2 drivetrains along with all the complexities of maintaining both drivetrains.

The current E400 hybrid is Mercedes' worst selling car and last month it is the second worst selling car model of any manufacturer. It's interesting to see the vehicles that actually sold better than the E class hybrid.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobi...tml/?a=viewall

Mercedes should put the technology from the SLS AMG Electric with a larger battery pack and offer a premium no compromise EV with about a 300 mile range that can accelerate to 60 in < 5 seconds. Hopefully they will start doing that after they get done building nonsense hybrids that apparently no one is interested in buying, especially if it has similar specs to the current S class hybrid.
Please stop pitching your EV for a while. It's getting really tiresome.

This is a W222 forum and this is W222 info. Others may like to discuss this car.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Please stop pitching your EV for a while. It's getting really tiresome.

This is a W222 forum and this is W222 info. Others may like to discuss this car.
Pitching *MY* EV? I did not mention any specific EV in my post. This thread is about the upcoming S class hybrid plugin and I concurred with someone else's assertion that Mercedes hybrids are not selling and that they'd be better of putting the existing SLS AMG electric technology in a vehicle rather than a hybrid drivetrain that few seem to want.

And yes, I'm discussing the hybrid this thread is about and it seems you are allergic to any reaction, however grounded in facts, that Mercedes' efforts thus far with hybrids in the E and S class models have been rejected en masse by potential buyers.

Just so I understand where you are coming from are you expecting to hear nothing about how Mercedes hybrids are not selling and why that might be the case? And you do realize that a plug-in hybrid is a partial EV right? It seems you don't want to hear anything about EVs when discussing a new vehicle coming out that is partially an EV.

I would really like to know what is different about this upcoming S class plug in hybrid compared to the current generation E and S class hybrids that are selling poorly.

Does anyone know the capacity of the battery pack of the plug-in S class hybrid and what its EV-only range and performance is expected to be? I believe these factors will determine how desirable this car would be to a potential buyer. If the EV only range is high enough and the performance is good enough, I might actually consider it.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 AM

S65
The range is said to be about 18 miles for the S Class plug in hybrid.

And, the thread is not about hybrids, but about plugin hybrids.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Pitching *MY* EV? I did not mention any specific EV in my post. This thread is about the upcoming S class hybrid plugin and I concurred with someone else's assertion that Mercedes hybrids are not selling and that they'd be better of putting the existing SLS AMG electric technology in a vehicle rather than a hybrid drivetrain that few seem to want.

And yes, I'm discussing the hybrid this thread is about and it seems you are allergic to any reaction, however grounded in facts, that Mercedes' efforts thus far with hybrids in the E and S class models have been rejected en masse by potential buyers.

Just so I understand where you are coming from are you expecting to hear nothing about how Mercedes hybrids are not selling and why that might be the case? And you do realize that a plug-in hybrid is a partial EV right? It seems you don't want to hear anything about EVs when discussing a new vehicle coming out that is partially an EV.

I would really like to know what is different about this upcoming S class plug in hybrid compared to the current generation E and S class hybrids that are selling poorly.

Does anyone know the capacity of the battery pack of the plug-in S class hybrid and what its EV-only range and performance is expected to be? I believe these factors will determine how desirable this car would be to a potential buyer. If the EV only range is high enough and the performance is good enough, I might actually consider it.
I guess you missed my point. Certainly am not allergic to facts, but to your assumptions that sales figures or EV's (including the EV-SLS) have anything to do with the thread topic.

It's a new car with a different hybrid tech and we'll see how people like it in time...
Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM

S65
Combined Electric & Gas Engine horsepower is said to be just over 400HP; combined torque just over 400 lb.ft

Acceleration in pure EV mode, I believe I read somewhere is 0 - 60 in less than 9 seconds.

Acceleration using both Electric Motor & Gasoline Biturbo Engine is 0- 60 in just over 5 seconds.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
Could I renew my request to stop quoting the trolls? KA and WEBSRFR are obviously trolling simply trying to illicit reactions. Since they are on many Ignore lists (I suspect), it would be nice to not have to read their trolls but folks keep quoting them.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by TomS
Could I renew my request to stop quoting the trolls? KA and WEBSRFR are obviously trolling simply trying to illicit reactions. Since they are on many Ignore lists (I suspect), it would be nice to not have to read their trolls but folks keep quoting them.

Thanks
That's rich. The guy who joined in 2013 has now proclaimed I am a troll, after I've been on this forum and contributed to discussions for over 8+ years. Yes, feel free to ignore any discussion you don't want to be a part of as the world gets smaller around you.

I am genuinely curious about this upcoming W222 plug in hybrid to see what they have done differently but -- oh no -- god forbid anyone have something less than glowing to say about Mercedes' current strategy or have questions about an upcoming model and how it differs from the current hybrids.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 05-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by cymro
Combined Electric & Gas Engine horsepower is said to be just over 400HP; combined torque just over 400 lb.ft

Acceleration in pure EV mode, I believe I read somewhere is 0 - 60 in less than 9 seconds.

Acceleration using both Electric Motor & Gasoline Biturbo Engine is 0- 60 in just over 5 seconds.
Any news about the battery capacity in kWh? I searched but could not find it anywhere and I'm also curious about how many miles you can drive it in pure EV mode along with at what speed the gasoline engine kicks in. I assume the gasoline engine kicks in under heavy acceleration and if it can deliver a a 0-60 around 5 seconds with both drive-trains combined that is actually pretty decent.

Are they doing an AWD setup like the i8 where the front wheels are electric and the rear wheels are gasoline or is it all RWD?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Again, this is a plug-in Hybrid, so there is no focus on EV-only driving. The battery is 8,7 kWh and coupled with a 333HP turbo and a 109HP electric motor.

I am interested in this car because it has dramatically better fuel economy than prior MB hybrids (nearly twice the mileage at 78.4mpg). That would give the car an effective range of over 1700 miles per tank if the gas tank has the same dimensions as in the $550.

0-60 is spec'd to be within half a second of the S550 acceleration. Not a speed demon, but decent for that kind of car.

Btw, there are 4 selectable driving modes:
- HYBRID
- E-MODUS: electric only
- E-SAVE: drive on gas with a fully charged battery for future EV use
- CHARGE: Battery is being charged while driving

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-28-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
MBUSA should bring the S400 to the US, like they have in Canada. That would sell in the US and the V6 would improve their CAFE levels.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by nyca
MBUSA should bring the S400 to the US, like they have in Canada. That would sell in the US and the V6 would improve their CAFE levels.
It may or may not sell. MB has brought the V6 SWB S Class to the US before with the W220 S350 (facelift), and prior to that the W140 300SE/S320, and some more before then. The W220 was not a sales success and the W221 S350 Bluetec and S400 Hybrid has not been selling well in the US either. It doesn't seem like the US market really needs the S400.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:37 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
That's rich. The guy who joined in 2013 has now proclaimed I am a troll, after I've been on this forum and contributed to discussions for over 8+ years. Yes, feel free to ignore any discussion you don't want to be a part of as the world gets smaller around you.

I am genuinely curious about this upcoming W222 plug in hybrid to see what they have done differently but -- oh no -- god forbid anyone have something less than glowing to say about Mercedes' current strategy or have questions about an upcoming model and how it differs from the current hybrids.
Didn't you get the memo? Worshipping at the altar of Mercedes is all that one must do to gain credence here. If Mercedes started putting their badges on Hyundai's tomorrow, and calling them "Mercedes-Benz", and you aren't 100% salving over it, then NEIN to you!

But really, Mercedes are wasting precious recourses and R&D with this half-a$$ed plug-in Hybrid stuff. It simply won't sell, just as the worst-selling car not the automotive market a'la E400 Hybrid. Get going, into full blown EV's! I don't know why Mercedes is so slow to react to major changing trends so often. In due time, after more EV's pop up then sustain, you'll have M-B going so head-on into it that you'll think that they think they invented the segment. Mark my words.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by nyca
I'd love a SWB S Class in the U.S. A 6 cylinder model would be a little sketchy in terms of maintaining the cachet of the S Class in the States, especially since the C Class already looks (literally) like a SSWB S Class (i.e with both sitting next to each other with drivetrains that can be identical to each other, the S Class maintaining its "crown factor" might blur a bit much for comfort to MBUSA), but I'd strongly consider cross shopping an SWB 9G tronic S400 or whatever they call their new TT V6 (S450?). An S350 would be too much of a dog to me as that motor is already a bit of a laggard in the E350, and isn't the smoothest and most refined 6 cylinder on the market so might not fit the especially American ideals of the S Class.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:59 AM

E350 Coupe
Well K-A you have finally found a place on my ignore list. Although you think that everyone hangs on your every word. I find you a complete a**hole you post only to impress yourself and show how smart and informed your are. Your really pathetic. Now I will never have to read another of your bullsh*it posts.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by TomS

Thanks
They are both on my ignore list and have been there for a long time.
As soon as the rest of the forum gains the ability to recognize trolls and how to treat them, then this forum will be able to return back to an enjoyable place to learn, share, and discuss our cars.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by steelgrey
Well K-A you have finally found a place on my ignore list. Although you think that everyone hangs on your every word. I find you a complete a**hole you post only to impress yourself and show how smart and informed your are. Your really pathetic. Now I will never have to read another of your bullsh*it posts.
Bingo. We have a winner. He is one of the most misinformed people here and a constant fountain of misinformation.

M
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol. The only reason why anyone would get in such a tizzy is because you know what I say is true, and it's perhaps more informed than what you're willing to deal with. Simple psychology. Someone needs to say it or else everyone would just eat up whatever Mercedes threw at them.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 PM

S65
K-A etc., have long been on my ignore list. It is a pleasure to see that people are no longer quoting them, so they can make posts to the vast echo chamber in the sky without contaminating any threads.

Just remember:

Don't quote the trolls!

Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It is unbelievable how stupid people can be yet they press on and on with rubbish.

M
Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Again, this is a plug-in Hybrid, so there is no focus on EV-only driving. The battery is 8,7 kWh and coupled with a 333HP turbo and a 109HP electric motor.

I am interested in this car because it has dramatically better fuel economy than prior MB hybrids (nearly twice the mileage at 78.4mpg). That would give the car an effective range of over 1700 miles per tank if the gas tank has the same dimensions as in the $550.

0-60 is spec'd to be within half a second of the S550 acceleration. Not a speed demon, but decent for that kind of car.

Btw, there are 4 selectable driving modes:
- HYBRID
- E-MODUS: electric only
- E-SAVE: drive on gas with a fully charged battery for future EV use
- CHARGE: Battery is being charged while driving
I bet 95% of people would leave the car in Hybrid mode and let the car manage switching the drivetrains. If you drive around town normally in hybrid mode (10-45 mph) at what speed threshold does the car switch to battery mode or gasoline engine mode?

The specs are certainly better than their current generation hybrids and the mileage rates are certainly impressive. I feel the reason the current E class and S class Hybrids are not selling that well is because the fuel economy does not mean much to people shopping in this price segment and performance matters more to them than mileage. But this upcoming hybrid offers much better performance than other Mercedes Hybrids and that's a good thing.

Are the front wheels powered via an electric motor and the rear wheels via the gasoline motor or do they both power the rear wheels?