S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W222 Homelink Short Range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec / 2014 s550
W222 Homelink Short Range

Has anyone had problems with 2014 S-550 Homelink feature. I am experiencing very short range it's disappointing how a car loaded with so much technology will screw up on a simple homelink feature. I am certain I followed the procedure on programming but it's still the same.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I don't think this is just common to the W222. Every car I have driven has had this issue. I have even tried some aftermarket clickers but nothing I tried activates the garage door unless the car is a few feet from the garage door.

Is there something intrinsic about the design of the garage door transmitted that make then only work at very close range?

I do have a solution if you really want to get this to work definitely. There are home automation add-ons you can get that can control the garage door and you can trigger them with an app in your phone. This would allow you to operate the garage door from anywhere in the country albeit not using the Home Link button.

The other solution might be in case the range of your opener is severely hampered due to the insulation or shielding of the garage door itself. Perhaps this video would help as it shows how you can extend the actual antenna of the garage door opener...

I think the problem in this case is not the W222 but the opener and its poor reception.

You could also check an antenna extension kit like the ones found at: http://www.sears.com/search=garage%2...e=CAT_REC_PRED

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 06-03-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 AM

2012 e350 bluetec / 2014 s550
Thanks WEBSRFR. I will explore the antenna extension option this weekend.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
The issue is the S-Class' UV absorbing windshield which is metallized. This greatly reduces the distance that homelink will operate.

My R-Class has the same UV windshield and my garage door opener range sucks- I have to be within ~20 feet to get it to work. However, on my other MB without the UV windshield it'll work a house or two away from me. I've noticed if I roll down the side window and activate the garage door while perpendicular to the door, it'll have better range. (Or if you use a remote control, you can roll down the window and open the door with the remote pointed outside of the window)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:17 AM

S 550
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
The issue is the S-Class' UV absorbing windshield which is metallized. This greatly reduces the distance that homelink will operate.

My R-Class has the same UV windshield and my garage door opener range sucks- I have to be within ~20 feet to get it to work. However, on my other MB without the UV windshield it'll work a house or two away from me. I've noticed if I roll down the side window and activate the garage door while perpendicular to the door, it'll have better range. (Or if you use a remote control, you can roll down the window and open the door with the remote pointed outside of the window)
I agree that the glass in the car is causing the issue. There is a spot in the glass right behind the rear view mirror where MB removed the special treatment but I placed my Florida Sunpass toll transponder there so it slightly blocks the Homelink function. I have found, in my case, that the range is slightly worsened or made better depending on the cars direction as I approach the garage.

This special glass treatment is very effective at blocking both IR and other nearby radio frequencies - in order to open my neighborhood gate with the remote I have to open the window of the car while driving towards the gate.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
I do not at all have this problem with my car (2014 S550). The garage door can open from a distance of at least 100 feet away. I read stories prior to getting my car that this would be an issue, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I believe there are several others here that also do not have this issue.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by DaveVY
I agree that the glass in the car is causing the issue. There is a spot in the glass right behind the rear view mirror where MB removed the special treatment but I placed my Florida Sunpass toll transponder there so it slightly blocks the Homelink function. I have found, in my case, that the range is slightly worsened or made better depending on the cars direction as I approach the garage.

This special glass treatment is very effective at blocking both IR and other nearby radio frequencies - in order to open my neighborhood gate with the remote I have to open the window of the car while driving towards the gate.
Wouldn't the HomeLink antenna be placed out of the range of the "shielded" glass interference? I thought the garage opener antenna would be placed along with the XM, 3G/phone antennas in the little antenna pod.

Since the opener works well for BeanTrader could it be a reception issue with the opener itself? I know when I pull into my garage and close the garage door I loose cellphone reception because once that metal door shuts few radio waves get in there and conversely the antenna of the garage door opener is also going to have a hard time detecting the opener signals.

In any case I think the opener antenna extension should help.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Fairly certain antenna is in the mirror.

Even those openings in the windshield are 50/50. I've got a toll pass thing as well and it doesn't read through the MB opening and my radar detector only works some of the time on the lower opening.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
Some issues with the opener are due to the driver holding the button in too long. If you are holding the button until the door moves, try depressing the button for a shorter amount of time.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:02 PM

s class
I've the exact same problem and the you tube video is spot on...and I added a second receiver which interfaces with my first receiver. The second receiver has an F connector.

So far, I've had no improvement by placing my antenna nearer to the door. It works with the door up/not the door down.

My next step is to go external in the placement of the antenna.

It's definitely the window, as even the provided remote is only happy if it's in a certain position on the window.

MB needs an external transmit for the homelink.