S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Options and negotiations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Question Surround View, HUD and Negotiations

I have been looking on local (Central Florida) lots for a new S. I haven't seen any with exactly what I want. Most are missing the Surround View cameras and/or HUD.

For those of you with HUD and the surround view cameras, do you use them? I have HUD in my Audi, and I use it. I've never had surround view. Does it come on automatically when parking? Do you think this is an important option?

Do you think it's reasonable for me to expect a 6% discount off of an in-stock car? My trade muddles the negotiations a bit.

I see a car at Mercedes of Tampa that is almost perfect in stock. It's a bit far for me, but I might try to work out the details by email. It's just missing HUD.

Last edited by Ormond2004; 07-07-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
There is a thread started by me which has someone getting 6% off on an "in stock" car I believe somewhere in Texas.

But at the end of the day a lot of factors come into play into someones advertised discount .. cash buyer? finance? lease? MB makes money off lease and finance so those buyers generally get better deals.

In stock or Custom Order? If it is custom order, on a 2015 S550, you might get something off sticker, but I doubt it will be 6%.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:39 PM

Mercedes S550
I normally buy in stock cars. With the S, thee are some many different options, I can see why people place a custom order.

Last edited by Ormond2004; 08-08-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550 4matic palladium silver, '12 CLS550 Iridium Silver
The dealer should be able to look in the system and find a car that has what you want and swap them for one of their cars. My dealer did that to get me the car I wanted from about 400 miles away.

Surround view isn't worth it in my opinion. You have the backup camera, and the front and rear sensors which are sufficient. There's a button to activate it if you have it.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:38 PM

2015 S550, 2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon, 2014 Audi RS7,2013 SL550, & 2011 CL550
Originally Posted by Ormond2004
I have been looking on local (Central Florida) lots for a new S. I haven't seen any with exactly what I want. Most are missing the Surround View cameras and/or HUD.

For those of you with HUD and the surround view cameras, do you use them? I have HUD in my Audi, and I use it. I've never had surround view. Does it come on automatically when parking? Do you think this is an important option?

Do you think it's reasonable for me to expect a 6% discount off of an in-stock car? My trade muddles the negotiations a bit.

I see a car at Audi of Tampa that is almost perfect in stock. It's a bit far for me, but I might try to work out the details by email. It's just missing HUD.
When I got my car, I thought that I would never use the HUD. I initially thought it was annoying, but after a while, I found it very beneficial and I don't glance at the speedometer anymore. I initially thought surround view was a gimmick and would never use it. After last year's winter and have to repairing my front bumper on the CL and replacing the mesh screen. I used my new E63 wagon and loved the surround view on my E wagon, that made me much more comfortable parking head in and not scraping my front bumper. I specially ordered the surround view for the S and with the sport bumper so that I can be relieved that I won't scratch the front bumper and can be very precise and have the additional view when parking. I will not get a car without it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Golden Lover; 07-04-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
360 camera is very helpful for not scraping the car on a parking stop or curb as Golden Lover just mentioned.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 AM

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Vik888
There is a thread started by me which has someone getting 6% off on an "in stock" car I believe somewhere in Texas.

But at the end of the day a lot of factors come into play into someones advertised discount .. cash buyer? finance? lease? MB makes money off lease and finance so those buyers generally get better deals.

In stock or Custom Order? If it is custom order, on a 2015 S550, you might get something off sticker, but I doubt it will be 6%.
That Guy Claiming he got 6% from MB Of Austin is BS. Ive had this confirmed by the GM of MB Of Austin that he Got 6% off due to The Vehicle having some undercarriage Damage to it. Many Dealers do not have very many in stock to begin with. Special orders are going to be very tough to negotiate since they want to sell in stock units. Instock cars their is some room but many are at 2-3% off. Not the 6% claimed on here. I even Sent a PM to the guy and asked openly on the forum for the Sales Representative he worked with and he gives some BS excuse that he doesn't want to do the Work for me. :roll eyes:

He may have got the 6% off but he is not telling the full story. The Vehicle had some undercarriage damage from Transport.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Mercedes S550
A dealer with a nice black/black car "waived" the add ons and dealer fee totaling $2,200 for me. it's a beautiful car, but it doesn't have surround view cameras or HUD.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 AM

'14 SL550
Those two options are "nice to have" but the S550 is dynamic without them. If you like the color, and it is a good deal, get it, you will enjoy the car.

I went from A8 to S550 and no looking back, great upgrade.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Lex09
That Guy Claiming he got 6% from MB Of Austin is BS. Ive had this confirmed by the GM of MB Of Austin that he Got 6% off due to The Vehicle having some undercarriage Damage to it. Many Dealers do not have very many in stock to begin with. Special orders are going to be very tough to negotiate since they want to sell in stock units. Instock cars their is some room but many are at 2-3% off. Not the 6% claimed on here. I even Sent a PM to the guy and asked openly on the forum for the Sales Representative he worked with and he gives some BS excuse that he doesn't want to do the Work for me. :roll eyes:

He may have got the 6% off but he is not telling the full story. The Vehicle had some undercarriage damage from Transport.

Not sure why you want to beat up on the guy who said he got 6% off.

I got 5.57% off on my 2014 S550 4Matic in December when dealers could not get them (MSRP was $115,265 with all the options I wanted). I worked to get this discount since my dealer offered all existing client's a 3% discount at that time. I have a long standing relationship with my dealer. So it is possible to get 6% off but most dealers probably will not discount this far. As far as inventory goes, if you are willing to shop the entire US for a car, you could probably find what you want at this point. I have purchased MBs from different parts of the US but mostly buy from my local dealer. My local dealer also knows that if I do not get a good deal I will buy from another dealer since I have done that in the past and they were not happy when I have purchased from other dealers.

This discount would have applied to this car or any other ordered S550 4matic.

My full story on my purchased car is this--some dealers have been given special allocations of European Delivery cars since they were having a difficult time, beginning in November, to meet their demand for 4matics. The Euro Delivery cars were cars that were set to be picked up by US customers or as part of the Euro Delivery pool (people who want Euro Delivery on short term notice). MB decided to ship all these cars to the US instead of having them sit in Germany. My dealer picked up my car and 7 others in Stuttgart in December and drove them 1 mile to BLG Logistics (the old EH Harms) in Stuttgart. My dealer also went back in January and picked up another 8 4matics. This dealer paid the same as they normally do (I am told) for the autos minus the $925 shipping fee.

So it is possible to get a 6% discount without car damage but it will not be easy.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
If you don't mind me asking, was the 5.57% off a car already on the lot and did you lease/finance through MB?

Originally Posted by MTrauman
Not sure why you want to beat up on the guy who said he got 6% off.

I got 5.57% off on my 2014 S550 4Matic in December when dealers could not get them (MSRP was $115,265 with all the options I wanted). I worked to get this discount since my dealer offered all existing client's a 3% discount at that time. I have a long standing relationship with my dealer. So it is possible to get 6% off but most dealers probably will not discount this far. As far as inventory goes, if you are willing to shop the entire US for a car, you could probably find what you want at this point. I have purchased MBs from different parts of the US but mostly buy from my local dealer. My local dealer also knows that if I do not get a good deal I will buy from another dealer since I have done that in the past and they were not happy when I have purchased from other dealers.

This discount would have applied to this car or any other ordered S550 4matic.

My full story on my purchased car is this--some dealers have been given special allocations of European Delivery cars since they were having a difficult time, beginning in November, to meet their demand for 4matics. The Euro Delivery cars were cars that were set to be picked up by US customers or as part of the Euro Delivery pool (people who want Euro Delivery on short term notice). MB decided to ship all these cars to the US instead of having them sit in Germany. My dealer picked up my car and 7 others in Stuttgart in December and drove them 1 mile to BLG Logistics (the old EH Harms) in Stuttgart. My dealer also went back in January and picked up another 8 4matics. This dealer paid the same as they normally do (I am told) for the autos minus the $925 shipping fee.

So it is possible to get a 6% discount without car damage but it will not be easy.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I personally wouldn't settle for something off a lot at this price point, these cars need configuration to be good
Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Vik888
If you don't mind me asking, was the 5.57% off a car already on the lot and did you lease/finance through MB?

It was not on the lot.

From my standpoint this was no different then configuring a car and ordering it. In fact, I had been working with the dealer to configure a car and order it while at the same time the dealer brought up the cars they could commit to that were already built that were virtually identical to my build of the car.

It was built in November and the dealer had the potential of buying and paying for the car while it was at the factory (my understanding is that the dealer normally does not pay for the car until it is released from the VPC--of course there might be "floor planning" financing involved after leaving the VPC). I put my deposit down in December just like a configured car to be built and picked up the car in early February.

No I did not finance through MB. They quoted 2.99% for a top tier credit rating. Too high of a rate in my opinion. I then asked the dealer to see if they could do better or I would pay cash or finance at my local bank for less then the 2.99%.

I could have either paid cash or have the dealer compete for better financing options. My dealer submitted my credit app to three different well known national banks and came back with 1.94% for 60 months with about 70% of the vehicle financed (these days banks like atleast 20% down with the best rates). Since I am in the investment/finance field, I knew I could do better then the MB rate of 2.99% for 60 months. The dealer may be making a small margin on the bank financing but not much. I can do much better with my money invested then the 1.94% financed especially since that is what I do for a living.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 PM

2015 S550
Picked up my S550 two days ago.

As far as options...the surround view is taking some getting used to, but I can already tell it was worth the money. The HUD is barely noticeable after driving for awhile...you kind of look "thru" it with peripheral vision...cute option but not a necessity.

On weak negotiations, I was able to get the MSRP of $122650 down to $120,000 with the 5-year maintenance contract included. Since I picked up the car June 30, and had to renew my old lease (non MB) on June 29, I also got them to reimburse my last lease payment of $689.

Extras--I purchased an MB interior and exterior coverage that allows me to have the car detailed approx. every 3-4 months for 60 months for $740. If an interior item cannot be properly cleaned, it will be replaced. Also purchased MB wheel and tire insurance for $2400 for 60 months, considering the stories of tire and wheel damage on this forum. So, I basically gave them back the amount I negotiated off MSRP.

I was able to secure 1.99% financing with no money down which they arranged thru a major bank.

No matter how good a deal you think you worked, you always feel like you got hosed.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:25 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I'm currently trying to buy a Honda Pilot for my wife.........and they've got ALL their hoses out!!!

Does anyone consider a car with 158 miles on it USED?????? it's a 2014........
sorry for of topic, but this is consuming me
Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I'm currently trying to buy a Honda Pilot for my wife.........and they've got ALL their hoses out!!!

Does anyone consider a car with 158 miles on it USED?????? it's a 2014........
sorry for of topic, but this is consuming me

I do but the dealers don't. If I remember correctly, anything under 1000 miles could be consider new atleast in PA in the year 2000.

In 2000 I purchased a 2000 ML320 with about 650 miles on it. The dealer sold it as new but I got a little bigger discount (so I thought). That is of course until the motor started to fail at 27,000 miles and MB replaced the motor at 37,000 miles. So was it the 650 miles that made the motor fail or is it due to the motor not being "beefy" enough for the ML320 frame? The answer is___. MB had many problems with the ML320 motors in the early years so it was not the 650 miles.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:29 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
thanx for the reply and sorry to muck up the thread OP: I HAD to have another opinion...

I've never tried to buy anything new besides MB: so that is my only point of reference......I had NO idea Honda was so slack on service and professionalism IMO

told them they could keep the Pilot, there are about 10 within a 100 miles radius anyway LOL

thanx again MT!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
If I remember correctly, anything under 1000 miles could be consider new atleast in PA in the year 2000.
I think from a legal point of view the term "new" means that the car has never been titled before.

I didn't think it has to do with mileage although from a practical point of view, I would never consider a car new with 650 miles on it. As stated, I am sure dealers think cars are new with far more miles on it.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:02 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
I think from a legal point of view the term "new" means that the car has never been titled before.

I didn't think it has to do with mileage although from a practical point of view, I would never consider a car new with 650 miles on it. As stated, I am sure dealers think cars are new with far more miles on it.
that is what I have also come to understand: not 'used' until already titled.......

I have also read many others saying they wouldn't be pleased
Old 07-04-2014, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Actually in PA miles do determine whether the car is new or used under the law.

Under the PA Code Section/Chapter 301 here is the definition (The provisions of this Chapter 301 issued under section 3.1 of the Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law (73 P. S. § 201-3.1):

Used motor vehicle—A motor vehicle which has been sold, bargained, exchanged or given away; which has had title transferred from the person who first acquired it from the manufacturer or dealer; or which has an odometer reading of 500 miles or more, not including mileage incurred in delivery from the manufacturer or in transporting the vehicle between dealers for sale.

So the question is where did the miles come from. I remember some of my miles of my 2000 ML320 came from a test track the local dealer had used for the demonstration of the abilities of the ML. I remember having this discussion as to how many of those miles of the 650 were for transportation and how many were from the "test track".

I guess my law degree does come in handy sometimes!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
should have just gone to Mercedes Benz in the first place.......it's just the wife wanted something different
Old 07-04-2014, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Actually in PA miles do determine whether the car is new or used under the law.

Under the PA Code Section/Chapter 301 here is the definition (The provisions of this Chapter 301 issued under section 3.1 of the Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law (73 P. S. § 201-3.1):

Used motor vehicle—A motor vehicle which has been sold, bargained, exchanged or given away; which has had title transferred from the person who first acquired it from the manufacturer or dealer; or which has an odometer reading of 500 miles or more, not including mileage incurred in delivery from the manufacturer or in transporting the vehicle between dealers for sale.

So the question is where did the miles come from. I remember some of my miles of my 2000 ML320 came from a test track the local dealer had used for the demonstration of the abilities of the ML. I remember having this discussion as to how many of those miles of the 650 were for transportation and how many were from the "test track".

I guess my law degree does come in handy sometimes!
I wonder if California has a mileage component to it's law.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 07-04-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
I wonder if California has a law like this, in addition to the title transfer.

I assume in PA, if the title was transferred and the car had only 250 miles on it that is would still be a used car. Is this correct?

Not sure about CA law.

You are correct atleast to PA. Once the title gets transferred with the MCO (manufacturers certificate of origin) it will be considered used after that even with 250 miles.

I believe the mileage comes into play so that dealers cannot pass off cars they drive for their business (such as demo cars) as new cars--this puts a numerical mileage limit on what dealers can and cannot do.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by hyperion667
should have just gone to Mercedes Benz in the first place.......it's just the wife wanted something different

My wife picks her cars (to keep the peace I do not override her picks but I try to influence a bit).

In my house, my wife has been driving Acura MDXs since we had bad luck with her 2000 ML320. So far her decisions have cost us less money then the MBs. She has 98000 miles on her 2008 Acura MDX and loves it. So I say--happy wife happy life. She test drove the GL450 in 2007 but she wanted the MDX instead. Now she is "hooked" on the MDX. Not sure what her next pick will be since I might let my 15 year old son drive the MDX when he gets his license in the next year while my wife buys a new vehicle.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
I've delivered a few Ferraris to dealers that had a couple hundred miles on them straight from the factory. They have a special sticker attached to the inside of the windshield saying that the car was randomly selected at the factory for additional on-road testing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Options and negotiations