S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

DEALER SWAPPED OUT MY RUN FLAT TIRES!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
DEALER SWAPPED OUT MY RUN FLAT TIRES!!

A week ago today, I took delivery of my new S550, which I had special ordered several weeks prior. I ordered it with the 18" wheels. I drove it off the lot with the factory installed run flat tires, but today the dealer swapped them for the Bridgestone Serenity Plus conventional tires I had specified, which were part of the deal. As I pretty much knew, the ride quality has improved dramatically.

Just for the record, I will say that the car rode well on the 18" wheels with the original RFT. I was actually amazed at how good it rode, compared to run flats I have had on other cars. I could have lived with the car just as delivered, but now I am SOOOOO happy that I didn't.

The difference is in smoothness over road imperfections, hitting intersection dips, going in and out of parking lots, etc. You still feel the imperfections, but the feel and sound is much more muted. In addition, the biggest difference is in how quiet these new tires ride on the highway. I would pretty much call that a "day & night" difference.

Now, I just have to get a TireFit kit for around town and a compact spare for trips out of town. I'll also need a jack, lug wrench, etc., but that's not a problem.

The interesting thing to me, is that the dealer did not ask me to sign any sort of wavier, they just swapped the tires and sent me on my way. I just can't believe that MB is not leaving themselves open to law suits. They send you out into the world with no jack or spare and simply wave adios? Oh well.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
I would like to swap out my RFT's to conventional tires also, please post which option you find for the compact spare tire. As far as I know, there isn't anything available from MB.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by 13pauls
I would like to swap out my RFT's to conventional tires also, please post which option you find for the compact spare tire. As far as I know, there isn't anything available from MB.
On ebay, from Germany, I have purchased a brand new W222 jack & tool kit. Also on ebay, I have purchased a never mounted W221 compact spare, which, according to the dealer, will fit my W222. As soon as these items arrive, I plan on testing them to make sure they work. I'll keep the jack & tools in the trunk and have decided to just leave the spare in the trunk as well. Should I be making a run to Home Depot or something, I can always leave it in the garage. Obviously, this is not a perfect solution. This is what I can do if I want this particular car, with conventional tires and the peace of mind in knowing I am prepared for a flat. I'm not thrilled with it, but it's the best I can do with what the idiots in Stuttgart have given--I mean SOLD me. I will post photos when these items arrive.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:31 AM

S500 2015
Nice experience.

so you are suggesting for everyone to move to conventional tires ? right ?

How can I chose the best tires for my car should I buy the same size exactly but conventional tires of course ?

does is it really worth and it makes a huge difference ?

Have you tried driving a rolls royce or a bentley ? if yes how would you compare the S-Class ride quality to them.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Alishami
Nice experience.

so you are suggesting for everyone to move to conventional tires ? right ?

How can I chose the best tires for my car should I buy the same size exactly but conventional tires of course ?

does is it really worth and it makes a huge difference ?

Have you tried driving a rolls royce or a bentley ? if yes how would you compare the S-Class ride quality to them.

Thanks!
Well, I am not suggesting anything, I am only relating my own experience.

As for tire size, I went with the exact same size the car came with. I feel that's the best way to go as I generally don't like to alter my cars from the way they were delivered from the factory.

The conventional tires made a huge difference to ME, but then I will admit that I am quite critical of ride quality characteristics and that many folks out there might not notice any difference. My car has 18" wheels and Magic Body Control, so the ride quality was very good to begin with, but now it is reasonably better. The biggest difference is the noise factor. The conventional tires are MUCH quieter at highway speeds. I believe that if I had 19" or 20" wheels, the difference would be even more pronounced.

I had a new Rolls, but that was pre-BMW ownership and have not driven the recent cars from Rolls or Bentley. That said, neither of those makes are "me" anymore. I live in an area where those cars are not an unusual sight, but I just know that I would not feel comfortable driving one as they are just too ostentatious. In addition, I happen to believe that the S Class is THE best sedan on the planet, RFT/no jack or spare notwithstanding.

Anyway, best of luck in what you do. If you do change tires, I know we would all love to hear the details of your experience.

Last edited by Streamliner; 01-08-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 AM

S500 2015
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, I am not suggesting anything, I am only relating my own experience.

As for tire size, I went with the exact same size the car came with. I feel that's the best way to go as I generally don't like to alter my cars from the way they were delivered from the factory.

The conventional tires made a huge difference to ME, but then I will admit that I am quite critical of ride quality characteristics and that many folks out there might not notice any difference. My car has 18" wheels and Magic Body Control, so the ride quality was very good to begin with, but now it is reasonably better. The biggest difference is the noise factor. The conventional tires are MUCH quieter at highway speeds. I believe that if I had 19" or 20" wheels, the difference would be even more pronounced.

I had a new Rolls, but that was pre-BMW ownership and have not driven the recent cars from Rolls or Bentley. That said, neither of those makes are "me" anymore. I live in an area where those cars are not an unusual sight, but I just know that I would not feel comfortable driving one as they are just too ostentatious. In addition, I happen to believe that the S Class is THE best sedan on the planet, RFT/no jack or spare notwithstanding.

Anyway, best of luck in what you do. If you do change tires, I know we would all love to hear the details of your experience.
Thanks for you reply

I will change to conventional tires but not now maybe after the factory run flats get a bit old.

My car doesn't have MBC and I'm amazed with ride quality with 20in rims. I wonder how conventional tires will be!

I just can't understand why the manufacturers are using Run flats and promoting them as The modern tires and new technology.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:26 PM

S550
I've switched to non-run flats on most every German car I have ever owned. 4 BMW's and I have never regretted it. Now, thats hard when sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow and I have done that too. The difference is striking, I agree "night and day" difference.

I've ordered a 2015 S550 that just completed production, has not been assigned to a ship yet. This will be my first Mercedes. Now, I'll wait till the tires wear out but I will change them.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
Originally Posted by Streamliner
On ebay, from Germany, I have purchased a brand new W222 jack & tool kit. Also on ebay, I have purchased a never mounted W221 compact spare, which, according to the dealer, will fit my W222. As soon as these items arrive, I plan on testing them to make sure they work. I'll keep the jack & tools in the trunk and have decided to just leave the spare in the trunk as well. Should I be making a run to Home Depot or something, I can always leave it in the garage. Obviously, this is not a perfect solution. This is what I can do if I want this particular car, with conventional tires and the peace of mind in knowing I am prepared for a flat. I'm not thrilled with it, but it's the best I can do with what the idiots in Stuttgart have given--I mean SOLD me. I will post photos when these items arrive.
Hey Streamliner...did you move forward with these, if so, how have they worked out...i would like to do the same...thanks