S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Headlight Condensation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 309 Likes on 232 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Headlight Condensation

I know this subject has been discussed before (can't find the thread) but has anyone experienced condensation in the headlight enclosures? Noticed it this afternoon in one of mine. Is this a defect? It appeared along the bottom edge and is about two inches wide. Only drove the car for a short distance without headlights so don't know if it will clear itself.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
It's considered normal. I've had it and it is mentioned in the manual. Personally, I think it's BS that a $100k car gets condensation in its headlights....
Old 03-09-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 309 Likes on 232 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Thanks...I agree it does make you wonder.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X253 GLC300 4M, W212 E200, W222 S400, G12 730Li, Tesla Model S, Toyota Vellfire
You can use toothpaste to clear the headlamps, if I'm not wrong.
I read it somewhere.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by W222S
You can use toothpaste to clear the headlamps, if I'm not wrong.
I read it somewhere.
Yes but it is a bit difficult to reach the inside with a toothbrush.

Actually the toothpaste solution is for the case when the outside surface of the headlamp is worn out and dimmed. This was about condensation inside the headlight, it is just the moisture that would need to be removed.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by emilner
It's considered normal. I've had it and it is mentioned in the manual. Personally, I think it's BS that a $100k car gets condensation in its headlights....
+1
Old 10-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550 4matic, 1960 Chevy Impala Conv, (Previously 2002 S500, 2008 S550 4Matic)
I picked up my new 2015 S550 2days ago and noticed the condensation just as everyone is complaining. I took the car to the dealer and complained about it and was told that Mercedes has a new solution and I have to leave the car as parts have to be ordered from Germany. I asked what the solution is and was told that the headlights have to be opened and some kind of a gel has to be inserted which will absorb the condensation.

I called today and was told the parts arrived and they have to open the headlights from the front and also remove the front bumpers to do this as they are following the instructions given by Mercedes.

I will get the car back tomorrow or on Thursday and see if this will work to remedy the condensation.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by wows500
I picked up my new 2015 S550 2days ago and noticed the condensation just as everyone is complaining. I took the car to the dealer and complained about it and was told that Mercedes has a new solution and I have to leave the car as parts have to be ordered from Germany. I asked what the solution is and was told that the headlights have to be opened and some kind of a gel has to be inserted which will absorb the condensation.

I called today and was told the parts arrived and they have to open the headlights from the front and also remove the front bumpers to do this as they are following the instructions given by Mercedes.

I will get the car back tomorrow or on Thursday and see if this will work to remedy the condensation.
No thanks.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
No thanks.
My Panorama Roof creaks sometimes. To "TRY" and remedy the problem, they say they need to remove the headliner. Being very particular, I foresee "messiness" with such a procedure, so I told them to forget it.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Streamliner
My Panorama Roof creaks sometimes. To "TRY" and remedy the problem, they say they need to remove the headliner. Being very particular, I foresee "messiness" with such a procedure, so I told them to forget it.

"Messiness"? WOW you are politically correct. My point is the same but not politically correct. Every time I take my car to the dealer--being particular--the dealer screws something up. So my policy is take it to the dealer minimally for the very important things.

When I took my '14 S550 to the dealer to get the seat leather replaced due to a defect, they scratched the rear quarter panel.

So when I picked up my '16 S550 about 4 weeks ago and got it home with 32 miles on the odometer I noticed the condensation in the headlights. I will live with condensation--period. Recall that MB does say this is "normal". Not sure I agree with that but I will live with it.

I don't want to just pick on MB dealers. I have a 2012 Ford F150. The last time I took it to the dealer for a warranty item, they put a nice door ding in the door.

Bottom line--keep the cars away from the dealers as much as you can or suffer the issues that seem to occur when you have people handling your expensive cars that don't really give a "rip".

Last edited by MTrauman; 10-14-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
20 GLE450, 16 C450, 15 GLK350
Here's some insight. We make LED lighting for a variety of applications (but not for Mercedes). These S550 headlights are, by design, not a sealed unit. The LED unit generates heat, and as a result of not being sealed, as they cool the air inside the headlamp cannot hold moisture and the result is water condensation. This is more noticeable because of the way the reflectors and lenses in an LED headlamp assembly are produced (simply put, much higher clarity and surface prep). There is no optical or electrical downside to the condensation.

I can look at my headlamps and see condensation at times. I choose not to look for it. ;-) And I've never had anyone else point it out to me.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by MTrauman
"Messiness"? WOW you are politically correct. My point is the same but not politically correct. Every time I take my car to the dealer--being particular--the dealer screws something up. So my policy is take it to the dealer minimally for the very important things.

When I took my '14 S550 to the dealer to get the seat leather replaced due to a defect, they scratched the rear quarter panel.

So when I picked up my '16 S550 about 4 weeks ago and got it home with 32 miles on the odometer I noticed the condensation in the headlights. I will live with condensation--period. Recall that MB does say this is "normal". Not sure I agree with that but I will live with it.

I don't want to just pick on MB dealers. I have a 2012 Ford F150. The last time I took it to the dealer for a warranty item, they put a nice door ding in the door.

Bottom line--keep the cars away from the dealers as much as you can or suffer the issues that seem to occur when you have people handling your expensive cars that don't really give a "rip".

We certainly agree. Just about the only marks on my 2004 SL500 came from dealer servicing. As for "messiness," I've been doing a lot of ranting & raving as of late, so I was trying to be nice.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We certainly agree. Just about the only marks on my 2004 SL500 came from dealer servicing. As for "messiness," I've been doing a lot of ranting & raving as of late, so I was trying to be nice.
When I had an issue with one of my cars, and had to take it to a body shop, I saw several cars from the nearby MB dealership.

They told me one would not believe how much money they get on an annual basis to fix the brand new cars from the MB dealer.

If they don't care about their own cars, I can imagine how little they car about others.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by MTrauman

So, what did you do about the door ding, or the scratched quarter panel. Did the dealer take responsibility when you told them, and did they fix it?

Mine just dented my driver side lighted door sill. It's not a band dent, but the point is, it wasn't there when I dropped it off.

Originally Posted by tommyr
Here's some insight. We make LED lighting for a variety of applications (but not for Mercedes). These S550 headlights are, by design, not a sealed unit. The LED unit generates heat, and as a result of not being sealed, as they cool the air inside the headlamp cannot hold moisture and the result is water condensation. This is more noticeable because of the way the reflectors and lenses in an LED headlamp assembly are produced (simply put, much higher clarity and surface prep). There is no optical or electrical downside to the condensation.

I can look at my headlamps and see condensation at times. I choose not to look for it. ;-) And I've never had anyone else point it out to me.
BUT, doesn't that condensation, over time, make the lights look spotty on the inside? Like a window that was rained on, over and over?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Jason B
So, what did you do about the door ding, or the scratched quarter panel. Did the dealer take responsibility when you told them, and did they fix it?

Mine just dented my driver side lighted door sill. It's not a band dent, but the point is, it wasn't there when I dropped it off.

BUT, doesn't that condensation, over time, make the lights look spotty on the inside? Like a window that was rained on, over and over?

Door Ding at Ford Dealer--Did not tell them. Very long story to this situation but here goes.

Purchased new 2012 Ford F150 in 2012. Rear Window Defogger never worked from day 1. Took it in for seemingly an easy fix--atleast one would think. Ford denied the warranty claim because they said I damaged it--BULL___! I figured out the dealer damaged the rear window and the dealer and Ford denied the warranty claim. I was so PISSED OFF because either the dealer or Ford damaged it and did not stand behind their vehicle. Two months after the dealer and Ford denied the warranty claim with less then 100 miles on the odometer, the dealership was sold to a new owner--I wonder why. Well the dealership was a A hole (sorry for the French words). So just before the warranty was up at 36 months, the new dealer got the window fixed under warranty (new dealer was better even though I dealt with the exact same employees). So I thought the dealer was great but I got the truck home and they dented the door in their parking lot. I had a new rear window with an operable window defogger but a dent in the door.

I then proceeded to take it to Dent Wizard myself and got the door ding fixed for $150. I did not want this dealer touching my car after that three year BS on the rear window defogger. Still have the truck and the dealership is a good dealer after they purchased the dealership from the prior A hole dealer.

MB dealer scratching the rear quarter panel. I decided to take care of this myself with the MB touch up paint and my mechanical orbital buffer. These dealerships do not even know how to use a buffer on a new car since my '14 and my '16 S550 came brand new with swirl marks in the paint. So when I buy a new car I buff it myself with my orbital buffer to get their swirl mark scratches out of the paint of the brand new cars. Again, do not want anyone touching my car that gets paid $7.50 per hour to simply scratch my paint with their buffer equipment they do not know how to operate. With all that said, I love my MB dealer but I want to keep the car out of their hands since their lot people do not give a Sh-- about their customer cars.

Last edited by MTrauman; 10-14-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Had condensation on only my wife's car. Took headlight off. Blow dried the inside then installed glue all the way around the seam. Then applied clear silicone caulk around the seam. Have not had a problem since.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dbldpr
Had condensation on only my wife's car. Took headlight off. Blow dried the inside then installed glue all the way around the seam. Then applied clear silicone caulk around the seam. Have not had a problem since.
This is probably a bad idea as I have been told you can't block the seams as the lights need to breathe.

Don't know for sure, but I was told that by someone that should know.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
This is probably a bad idea as I have been told you can't block the seams as the lights need to breathe.

Don't know for sure, but I was told that by someone that should know.
This was done 4 years ago and no problem so far
Old 10-14-2015, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dbldpr
This was done 4 years ago and no problem so far
When I was speaking to the MB tech we were talking about post 2014 headlamps, so maybe something has changed.

Like I said, I really don't know.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:13 PM

2015 S550 4matic, 1960 Chevy Impala Conv, (Previously 2002 S500, 2008 S550 4Matic)
I got my car back on Wednesday and today is Saturday. So for the last 3 days I have not noticed any condensation. Inserted pictures took today and the headlights are clear. They installed folding baskets W/Desiccant packs and also installed Membrane which was supplied W/Baskets.
Will wait and see if the condensation comes back or not but for the time being it seems it is working.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:49 PM

Thumbs up Update on condensation

Well it is almost two weeks now and I have not noticed any condensation on the headlights. Today it rained and I was wondering if it will come back NO it did not happen. So the folding baskets W/Desiccant packs and the Membrane worked .

I am happy with the outcome as it was more of an eyesore and did not like the look of the gleaming headlights with the foggy appearance.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I've had issues with the panorama roof creaking and I suggest that you let the dealer fix this for you while the car is still under warranty. Whatever they take out, they will put back in and if it introduces new creaks (which I doubt) they will address that. The panorama roof creaking is horrible to deal with if you have sensitive hearing and they can fix it and completely make it go away.

Second time I developed this noise, they were able to fix it with a special lubricating solution that did not require they dismantle anything.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 146 Posts
Well it is almost two weeks now and I have not noticed any condensation on the headlights. Today it rained and I was wondering if it will come back NO it did not happen. So the folding baskets W/Desiccant packs and the Membrane worked .

I am happy with the outcome as it was more of an eyesore and did not like the look of the gleaming headlights with the foggy appearance.
Glad to hear this.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
I got my car back on Wednesday and today is Saturday. So for the last 3 days I have not noticed any condensation. Inserted pictures took today and the headlights are clear. They installed folding baskets W/Desiccant packs and also installed Membrane which was supplied W/Baskets.
Will wait and see if the condensation comes back or not but for the time being it seems it is working.

Can you see the folding baskets or modifications from looking into the light assembly? For a second I saw 2 black boxes in the lower portions of both lights, then realized it was your Leg reflection in the photo. What was the build date of your car?
Old 12-11-2016, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by tommyr

But, doesn't this condensation over time cause water marks inside? Like when rain dries on windows???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight Condensation