Anyone else annoyed by this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 W222 S550 / 2008 E90 328i
Anyone else annoyed by this?

Hey guys.

My parents have had their W222 for almost three months now. However, I still can't get over the fact that the panoramic roof does not extend all the way down the roof. I am honestly very surprised and pretty confused to say the least as to why MB decided to do this for the W222? Why does the pano roof on the W205 and W212 cover the entire roof, but it's not the same for the W222? Even the pano roof on the previous W221 would cover the entire roof.

With all this being said, what do you guys think the real reason for this was and does it bother you in any way?

BTW I know that there are a few threads on here about this already, but they're mostly from two years ago. Interested in seeing what current W222 owners have to say.

Last edited by Iridium222; 05-21-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:47 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
I think my CLS opens more but I'd have to measure......but I agree with your thoughts......it's a small one haha
Old 05-21-2016, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Not a fan of pano roofs and I think perhaps the novelty vs. the practicality is beginning to show. For the S it may be related to a longer pano not really needed so the people in back can look up at stars?
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I think my CLS opens more but I'd have to measure......but I agree with your thoughts......it's a small one haha
I think the pano roof on the CLS also covers the entire roof.
Originally Posted by El Cid
Not a fan of pano roofs and I think perhaps the novelty vs. the practicality is beginning to show. For the S it may be related to a longer pano not really needed so the people in back can look up at stars?
Well this option is definitely very subjective just like most options on these cars. Also, the people sitting in the back already have a sunroof that opens up.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:33 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by El Cid
funny you mention stars ElCid, when I was a kid that was THE thing I liked to do during dark time: was look up at the stars.....maybe I'm just weird?
Originally Posted by Iridium222
I think the pano roof on the CLS also covers the entire roof.

Well this option is definitely very subjective just like most options on these cars. Also, the people sitting in the back already have a sunroof that opens up.
don't have pano on my CLS.....just a regular one
Old 05-21-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
funny you mention stars ElCid, when I was a kid that was THE thing I liked to do during dark time: was look up at the stars.....maybe I'm just weird?

don't have pano on my CLS.....just a regular one
Lol no you're not weird. I think all of us have looked up at the stars when we were a kid. I don't even see stars anymore here in LA 'cause of all the light pollution. However, since your in NC I beleive you guys still are able to right?
Old 05-21-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Maybe they needed the roof space for electronics
Old 05-21-2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jenz
Maybe they needed the roof space for electronics
That could be a possibility as well.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550
Could it be for extra frame support? Since it's a heavier car, maybe they needed stronger frame support in that section. I'm only guessing.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Personally love the pano roof as it bring more light into the cabin.

I prefer the full glass roof look as well, but it's important to note that the actual glass roof openings of the pano are the same between the W221 and W222. It's just an exterior design.

Has been discussed here before, but I assume this design has evolved this way for weight/noise/strength reasons.
Interesting that the W213 has the full glass treatment again.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by lightninhopkins
Could it be for extra frame support? Since it's a heavier car, maybe they needed stronger frame support in that section. I'm only guessing.
Yes it could possibly be because of strength reasons, but then again who knows?
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Personally love the pano roof as it bring more light into the cabin.

I prefer the full glass roof look as well, but it's important to note that the actual glass roof openings of the pano are the same between the W221 and W222. It's just an exterior design.

Has been discussed here before, but I assume this design has evolved this way for weight/noise/strength reasons.
Interesting that the W213 has the full glass treatment again.
Yes I know that the roof openings are the same for the 221 and 222, but why didn't MB do the same exterior design for the W222?! Is the W222 really that much heavier than the W221 was?
Also, I'm not surprised that the W213 has the full glass again, 'cause the W212 has it right now.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Be glad it opens at all!

I am getting an S63 Coupe (C217) this fall, and the non-optional / fixed pano roof is one of the two major complaints I have with the car (other being the steering column gear selector). While I rarely open the sunroof on my CLS63, and the shade won't stay closed under hard acceleration, I do frequently tilt it up when parked to vent excess heat; interior temps can easily hit 150+ degrees after baking in the Arizona summer sun for hours.

The MY17 C Coupe has a proper opening pano roof. Perhaps there is a structural reason why the S Coupe pano roof must be fixed, but more likely they did it to sell more cabriolets... I'd consider a cab but the roofline of the pillar-less coupe is my favorite design aspect of the car.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,691 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If ONLY it had remained a frigging OPTION! No, somewhere along the line, the tightwad bean counters in Germany decided that if they made the W222 with just one roof choice, that production costs could be lowered. Making the Panorama Roof a standard equipment "feature," they could up the base MSRP and still appear to be magnanimous, as if they were giving us something for free.

The bottom line with that FUCxING roof is that MB wins and we the customers lose.

Luxury is having the OPTION to have things exactly as you want them. The fewer the options, the less luxurious the ownership experience. The Pano Roof should be available to those who want it. To those who do not, we should have the OPTION of not ordering it.

For decades, I was the exclusive U.S. importer and distributor for a very prestigious German company. I love the Germans. My ancestry is part German. That said, I have NEVER found a group of people who are as stubborn and pigheaded as the Germans. It's their way or the highway and they ALWAYS know what's best. Question their judgement and two big guys in black trench coats will ask you for your papers!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it could possibly be because of strength reasons, but then again who knows?

Yes I know that the roof openings are the same for the 221 and 222, but why didn't MB do the same exterior design for the W222?! Is the W222 really that much heavier than the W221 was?
Also, I'm not surprised that the W213 has the full glass again, 'cause the W212 has it right now.
I suppose only the engineers will know that. My personal opinion is that this has to do with the overall platform design of the W222. Unlike any other MB, this one was designed from the get-go for four different car lengths (SWB, LWB, Maybach, Pullmann) with seat configurations also not available in any other MB's. Seats have some impact on the cabin design into the trunk.

They may have wanted to section to be quieter (more noise damping options with steel than glass) and stronger. Plus it may have been easier to stretch the bodies.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,691 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
They may have wanted to section to be quieter (more noise damping options with steel than glass) and stronger. Plus it may have been easier to stretch the bodies.
Yes, and how much I would love it if my car were quieter and stronger--while probably being much lighter, with an ALL steel roof. I know that it's probably a one in a million chance that one of these cars rolls over in an accident, but I can't help but feel that if such a thing did happen, why would anyone want a glass roof?
Hate to beat a dead horse, but the Pano Roof should have remained OPTIONAL!
Old 05-22-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Heisenberg
Be glad it opens at all!

I am getting an S63 Coupe (C217) this fall, and the non-optional / fixed pano roof is one of the two major complaints I have with the car (other being the steering column gear selector). While I rarely open the sunroof on my CLS63, and the shade won't stay closed under hard acceleration, I do frequently tilt it up when parked to vent excess heat; interior temps can easily hit 150+ degrees after baking in the Arizona summer sun for hours.

The MY17 C Coupe has a proper opening pano roof. Perhaps there is a structural reason why the S Coupe pano roof must be fixed, but more likely they did it to sell more cabriolets... I'd consider a cab but the roofline of the pillar-less coupe is my favorite design aspect of the car.
Alright I see, but does the glass roof on the C217 also cover the entire roof? I can't remember if it does or not lol.
Originally Posted by Streamliner
If ONLY it had remained a frigging OPTION! No, somewhere along the line, the tightwad bean counters in Germany decided that if they made the W222 with just one roof choice, that production costs could be lowered. Making the Panorama Roof a standard equipment "feature," they could up the base MSRP and still appear to be magnanimous, as if they were giving us something for free.

The bottom line with that FUCxING roof is that MB wins and we the customers lose.

Luxury is having the OPTION to have things exactly as you want them. The fewer the options, the less luxurious the ownership experience. The Pano Roof should be available to those who want it. To those who do not, we should have the OPTION of not ordering it.

For decades, I was the exclusive U.S. importer and distributor for a very prestigious German company. I love the Germans. My ancestry is part German. That said, I have NEVER found a group of people who are as stubborn and pigheaded as the Germans. It's their way or the highway and they ALWAYS know what's best. Question their judgement and two big guys in black trench coats will ask you for your papers!
My bad, I don't know why I typed "option" lol. I do agree with you tho. This would have been better for consumers had it been left as an option 'cause these glass roofs increase the price of these cars a lot which a lot of people hate. Personally I've always liked the way it looked but back to the point of this thread, I just wish it covered the entire roof!
I suppose only the engineers will know that. My personal opinion is that this has to do with the overall platform design of the W222. Unlike any other MB, this one was designed from the get-go for four different car lengths (SWB, LWB, Maybach, Pullmann) with seat configurations also not available in any other MB's. Seats have some impact on the cabin design into the trunk.

I Did not know this?! Thanks for the insight.
Yes, and how much I would love it if my car were quieter and stronger--while probably being much lighter, with an ALL steel roof. I know that it's probably a one in a million chance that one of these cars rolls over in an accident, but I can't help but feel that if such a thing did happen, why would anyone want a glass roof?
Well it is tempered glass isn't it lol?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Can't argue much with logic and practicality mentioned in the above posts. However, I think those that like it are for less practical reasons.

Last edited by SClassGal; 05-23-2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

You killed that horse a year ago. Stop beating it!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SClassGal
Can't argue much with logic and practicality mentioned in the above posts. However, I think those that like it are for less practical reasons.
Sure this could be true as well. IMO tho, I don't really mind having the car less practical. To each their own I guess.
You killed that horse a year ago. Stop beating it!
Lol!