S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 09:09 PM

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by yovenim
Well, it has happened. A rock hit my windshield and cracked it. Do I go to a normal windshield replacement service or the dealership? Thanks!
When I had a replacement, my insurance wanted me to use the local Safelight shop but they actually did the work at the dealer with dealer techs assisting with trim, etc. I would start with your insurer to see what/how they will pay.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
My windshield was replaced by Safelite last week (paid by insurance) after a large crack crossed the windshield.

They verified all options & supplied correct windshield (IR rejecting, required cut-outs for drivers assist, ILS+, auto-wiper sensors). Received a recalibration certificate for whatever needed to be recalibrated. All systems are working properly after the new windshield.

They were very easy to work with, and did a great job. The only sketchy thing was on their pre-work inspection they noted “scratches on hood and roof. I had just washed/waxed the car, so I know there were no blemishes on the hood or the roof. I inspected both upon picking up the car and both were undamaged. It almost seems like they were setting the stage in the event that they scratched something during installation (which was NOT the case).

I would definitely use them again.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 967 Likes on 742 Posts
G550
Living in a rural region, the only local Safelight franchise is a mobile unit that can't replace windshields requiring ADAS calibration. There are several smaller indy shops with calibration facilities, and I had my glass replaced a year ago by one of them -- OEM glass and a perfect install. It's too bad all the ADAS design engineers could not figure out a way to implement their technology without increasing the cost of windshield glass by a factor of 10.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 518 Likes on 386 Posts
222 S-65
I need to replace the window in my S-65 for the third time in two years. After replacing it twice it got cracked within two-three weeks. Pissed about it, I have let it continue to catch rocks as happens. Currently with eight separate cracks.

Commuting in Phoenix with high average speeds and never ending dirt truck season + landscaping trucks/trailers forever dropping presents on the freeways doesn’t help. What will help is my cutting the commute to ten minutes (total) daily from 70-90 minutes. That happens April one.

Thankfully I have an in with an MB dealership. Insurance won’t cover glass anymore after the first pair of windshields. Ahhh.