S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

keyfob & carjackings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
keyfob & carjackings

So there has been a string of "bump" and "run" carjackings in my area the last few weeks. One guy rear-ends your car and when you exit to check the damage another guy jumps in and drives off with the car. As a S-class driver, obviously its something we need to be concerned with.

The S550 comes with keyless Go keyfob. How far/long can the car go without the keyfob being present in the car. Or if i keep the keyfob with me and then press the panic button...will that shut the car down?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by cheapbrass
So there has been a string of "bump" and "run" carjackings in my area the last few weeks. One guy rear-ends your car and when you exit to check the damage another guy jumps in and drives off with the car. As a S-class driver, obviously its something we need to be concerned with.

The S550 comes with keyless Go keyfob. How far/long can the car go without the keyfob being present in the car. Or if i keep the keyfob with me and then press the panic button...will that shut the car down?
Unless something changed, the car will warn of the key not being in the car but will continue to operate normally. Once turned off, the car won't start anymore, of course.

Mbrace can track the car for the authorities in real-time but nothing will shut off the car, as it should be.

Remote shutdown would likely kill people in traffic in the process...
Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
I remember seeing a video/news report years ago and I think it was about a vehicle with OnStar. They demonstrated how if someone were to steal a car with OnStar the police could call OnStar and have them remotely shut the engine off on the stolen car, which would be helpful if the cops were following the stolen car and didn't want a high speed chase.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 AM

S350d AMG Line Premium Plus
Originally Posted by cheapbrass

You could find a large piece of private land and test this with your car? I'm tempted to with mine.

I'm glad you raised the carjacking threat as it's not instinctively the first thing that comes to mind if rear ended. Especially those that put the key on the console like me. Away from the car I do put it in a jamming pouch, so at least they can't get it remotely by abiding my keys signal.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Always have my key in the pocket, always shut the engine when exiting the car at gas station or fender bender.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Remote shutdown would likely kill people in traffic in the process...
It's my understanding that OnStar has the ability to slowly lower the speed of a vehicle (down to zero,IIRC) thus allowing for a safe (or comparatively safe,at least) resolution to a stolen car scenario.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/security.html

Stolen Vehicle Assistance4
If your vehicle is stolen, OnStar can use GPS to pinpoint it and help authorities quickly recover it. On many models, an Advisor can send a signal to slow the vehicle or prevent it from restarting.
Remote Ignition Block™
Thieves won't get far with Remote Ignition Block.™ Once a vehicle has been reported stolen, OnStar can send a remote signal that blocks the engine from starting. When a thief tries to restart it, he may think he's made a clean getaway, but he’s not going anywhere.
Stolen Vehicle Slowdown®
OnStar can send a Stolen Vehicle Slowdown® signal to help authorities recover your vehicle and reduce high- speed pursuits. Once the police confirm that conditions are safe, we can send a signal that gradually slows the vehicle. The police can move in quickly, and it won’t be long before you’re headed out in your recovered car.
Theft Alarm Notification26
This new feature gives you extra peace of mind every time you lock* your vehicle’s doors. If your car alarm sounds, OnStar will notify you immediately by text27, email, or phone call (your choice) to quickly and safely recover your vehicle. After you report your vehicle as stolen, contact an OnStar Advisor for Stolen Vehicle Assistance.
Want to learn more about Theft Alarm Notification?
Theft Alarm Notifications are sent only to you. OnStar does not notify police of a Theft Alarm Notification; that is up to you in your discretion. The Theft Alarm Notification service may alert you to a theft in progress. Always use caution and good judgment. Do not approach the vehicle unless you are certain the situation is safe. Your vehicle’s electrical systems and your smartphone (or other device) must be operative and sending/receiving data via wireless services and GPS satellite signals for the Theft Alarm Notification service to function properly. OnStar is not responsible for the acts of third-parties. This service is subject to OnStar Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement. Not available for fleet and rental account vehicles.
Theft Alarm Notification is available for most vehicles 2014 and newer. Check your vehicle capability here.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
Will confirm it will keep running until you turn the engine off.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG P30, CLS550, and S550
Originally Posted by lsdreem
Will confirm it will keep running until you turn the engine off.
You are exactly correct. I've tested it.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Keyless go used to be a real POS in this regard. Once I was flying out of town and jumped out of the car to catch my plane with the key in my pocket and left my girlfriend with the car to go home with. I recognized that I had taken the key when I went through security but she hadn't brought her cell phone with her. I called Mercedes and they said it would keep running unless she shut it off. BS... She had to slow down to a stop on the highway and it shut off on her and when she put down the window to talk to a cop it wouldn't go back up and of course it was raining. The only saving grace in the whole situation was the kindness of the cop who felt sorry for her predicament and ordered a flatbed and had it taken to the impound lot. He also fastened a bag over the open window. Since her name wasn't on the title I had to fax a notarized affidavit giving her permission to take the car home.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Keyless go used to be a real POS in this regard. Once I was flying out of town and jumped out of the car to catch my plane with the key in my pocket and left my girlfriend with the car to go home with. I recognized that I had taken the key when I went through security but she hadn't brought her cell phone with her. I called Mercedes and they said it would keep running unless she shut it off. BS... She had to slow down to a stop on the highway and it shut off on her and when she put down the window to talk to a cop it wouldn't go back up and of course it was raining. The only saving grace in the whole situation was the kindness of the cop who felt sorry for her predicament and ordered a flatbed and had it taken to the impound lot. He also fastened a bag over the open window. Since her name wasn't on the title I had to fax a notarized affidavit giving her permission to take the car home.
What model year was that? Maybe there was an issue with the car also because the behavior is as MB describes it.

I had this a couple of times (dropped off wife just to find out I took the key for another MB along so she had the only working one). Drove home and got the key, including sops and intersections, etc.
Extremely annoying as the constant alerts couldn't be masked by the radio as the audio volume is locked at low volume while the alert is present.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
That's a hell of a story! Good to hear it.....worked out.....still frustrating!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 613 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Glad , you got it sorted out . I assumed this thread title was about to warn the keyless go owners against car thefts who uses radio signals to decode the cars' frequency to break in with their tools
Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM

S350d AMG Line Premium Plus
I'm pretty sure the signals aren't decoded for the majority of electronic attacks. There are a number of types:

* wireless bridge between your key (at home, in shop or restaurant, etc) and your car. Requires two wireless locked devices to amplify and relay the key and car wireless traffic (at 433.92 MHz iirc). This file the car into thinking the key is right outside the door or even inside the car, once access is gained. No decoding needed. W222 stolen by this method.

* Mercedes Me / MBrace app man-in-the-middle attack, where an attacker uses your apps credentials to fool the MB serves into unlocking the car doors. Was a proven vulnerability for these type of apps in early versions, due to weak security. Not heard of a W222 accessed this way. Presumed fixed.

* Access via the W222 GSM data connection. Only a matter of time before a vulnerability is found in the system, to enable remote access to an attacker, rather than just MB.

Personally I'd prefer it if the OS they used was hardened with a powerful, secure access environment, eg restricted SSH key + two factor auth + read-only user access to read logs and faults + read-write access to an upload space for routes,, POIs, etc. and a read only API for 3rd party app integration.