S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Shattered pano roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes & BMW
Shattered pano roof

Thinking about getting a new S class however not sure I want an all glass pano roof. I assumed the roof glass would be laminated until seeing one today with what looks like shattered tempered glass (see attached photos). For you that have been around pano roofs how often do you see them break?
Old 03-04-2018, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 642 Likes on 481 Posts
W212 FL
That's horrid , not just pano roof but also a ordinary sunroof with glass then would shatter then , ouch
The following users liked this post:
Dship (03-30-2020)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
It’s a complete non-issue. We have had MB’s with Pano roofs for 16 years.
There are no safety issues afaik and I would actually prefer them to shatter instead of being laminated. It provides an exit point from the car in case of accident.

I have read of some incidences reported a while back of the front section of the pano roofs breaking on GL SUV’s. This is the section above the windshield and it covers the steel roof for a uniform look.

The pics ice you showed looks like somebody just smashed the roof in.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,729 Likes on 2,130 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by vars
Thinking about getting a new S class however not sure I want an all glass pano roof. I assumed the roof glass would be laminated until seeing one today with what looks like shattered tempered glass (see attached photos). For you that have been around pano roofs how often do you see them break?
Well, I don’t know where you live, but if you are in the USA, MB feels that you and every other American customer are not capable of choosing the options each of us might want, so in perfect German fashion, they have concluded that THEY know best and have decided that every S Class customer MUST want their Panorama Roof, making it standard equipment and, in effect, shoving it down the throats of all S Class customers, whether they want it or not. I happen to HATE the frigging roof. IMO, it is ugly, it squeaks, creaks and has the potential of being a danger in an accident. In addition, as infrequent as it may be, these glass roofs have been known to explode, showering the occupants with broken glass. I feel that these glass roofs should be optional in the USA as they now are in Germany, but I’m not holding my breath.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Here in Texas with our heat and high sunlight most of the year any type of Pano roof is a waste....
Old 03-04-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by Streamliner
it squeaks, creaks
Agreed, dont like that. Had this on my last W212, and am getting it on my S560, but i have to admit it looks good, and give a feeling of luxury. Much more than most other brands, it looks good, and operates like it should. On other brands, i mostly find fault with them. In the latest facelift it looks even better, surrounded by the 4 speakers. But i will not use it much, i think. And it will probably squeak.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes & BMW
Wonder why S class side windows are laminated safety glass but the pano roof is tempered glass?

Some safety info in this article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/b...of-safety.html

Also an excerpt from a Tesla article.
Tesla’s safety leadership, this time in panoramic sunroof design, has again been proven. The Model S panoramic roof has always been made of Lamisafe, a windshield-grade laminated glass, while other makers have equipped their panoramic roofs with tempered glass—a cheaper but hazardous substitute.

Unlike large panoramic roofs of tempered glass, which can literally “explode” without warning, the laminated glass used in Tesla Model S panoramic roofs can break but cannot explode. When tempered glass panoramic roofs explode, they scatter thousands of sharp glass fragments down on the unprepared motorist.

Last edited by vars; 03-04-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Wonder why S class side windows are laminated safety glass but the pano roof is tempered glass?

Tesla’s safety leadership, this time in panoramic sunroof design, has again been proven. The Model S panoramic roof has always been made of Lamisafe, a windshield-grade laminated glass, while other makers have equipped their panoramic roofs with tempered glass—a cheaper but hazardous substitute.

Unlike large panoramic roofs of tempered glass, which can literally “explode” without warning, the laminated glass used in Tesla Model S panoramic roofs can break but cannot explode. When tempered glass panoramic roofs explode, they scatter thousands of sharp glass fragments down on the unprepared motorist.
I guess no S-Class for you then (as Streamliner pointed out). Personally i wouldn’t buy a car without a panorama roof anymore unless not available. This maybe difficult to understand for anyone living in Florida, Texas or California but wherewe live we have snow 4-5 months on the ground. Nothing nicer than having light coming into the cabin on a dreary day

Here is some info on panorama roof’s breaking: https://jalopnik.com/here-are-all-th...roo-1819815183
Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by G55K
I have a GL550 with approx 14,000 miles on it. I was driving from Moab to Lake Powell and the panoramic rough literally exploded. Scared the crap out of me! It wasn't a rock as there were no cars around us. We were in the middle of no where when it happened. It was about 105F outside so my guess is that it was caused by the heat.

The dealership is refusing to cover this under warranty. They admit that it does't look like anything hit it and that it might be heat related. I plan on escalating this to MBUSA.

Has anyone else had this happen to their GL?

Seems to be a little more common than we think maybe.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
This is when you go to the dealer and this big, tall blond guy comes out wearing a white doctor’s coat and says: “Zeerr kut nat be anyzing vrong mit dis werry fine Medsaidss! YOU muz be doing sumsig vrong!” Then you notice two other guys standing just behind you, wearing long, black leather trench coats and the blond guy says “TAKE HIM! TAKE HIM!”

Seriously though, here we have yet another incident where a glass roof has failed. If MB doesn’t cover it, then you are stuck using your comprehensive insurance. I don’t know about you, but my deductible is $1,000.00 and I would not be happy going that route. Also, depending on how **** one might be about their vehicles, having this thing replaced isn’t going to be a walk in the park. Your vehicle will be going through a traumatic experience and may never be 100% again, with all that work being done with the interior all opened up, etc. Now, just imagine that you, your wife, two kids, all your gear AND your dog are in the vehicle on a two week vacation to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone when the roof fails. WHAT THEN??? “We’re very sorry, but since this is not covered under our Comprehensive New Vehicle Warranty, we must inform you that you are UP SHxT CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE!” Make the frigging Panorama Roofs OPTIONAL! (Which I believe it was on the GL, but we, poor W222 drivers are not given the option—but WE SHOULD BE!) No worries, I’ll add the dead horse myself.

Last edited by Streamliner; 03-19-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
"poor W222 drivers" seems like an oxymoron.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550

It does not matter. I am still not going to buy a Tesla!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
ALL glass is subject to breakage. Regular plate-glass will crack & split if exposed to unequal stresses/unequal thermal expansion. Tempered glass will shatter into tiny pebbles (like you see here) rather than into sharp shards which can cause injury. (Remember, the side windows of most of the cars on the road today are tempered). The fragments of tempered glass aren't overly sharp. I spent many years working at an arena, trust me, I've seen plenty of shattered glass. I even have a few chunks of it I salvaged and use as drink coasters on my coffee table. If any of this bothers you, get a window tinting place to put "hurricane laminate" on the glass. It's cheap and will give you peace of mind. Just realize that you're also screwing yourself over in an emergency -- you're not going to be able to get through that hurricane laminate.

I remember being in the service drive at the dealership where they'd just taken a brand new SL off the truck. Within minutes, the roof shattered. Brand new car.

Being able to NOT have a pano roof was one of the reasons I chose the W213 E-Class over the S-Class. In Florida, between the heat & hurricanes, there's no good reason for a glass roof.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
I remember being in the service drive at the dealership where they'd just taken a brand new SL off the truck. Within minutes, the roof shattered. Brand new car. Being able to NOT have a pano roof was one of the reasons I chose the W213 E-Class over the S-Class. In Florida, between the heat & hurricanes, there's no good reason for a glass roof.
I’ll apologize in advance to those who have heard this from me way too many times before, but the S Class, along with the Maybach is supposed to be MB’s ultra luxury car. True luxury, is being able to have something the way YOU want it, not the way some bean counter in Stuttgart decides how you SHOULD have it. If you order most any MB sedan below the W222, you have the OPTION of having a traditional moon roof OR the all glass Paborama Roof. However, if you are willing to step up and plunk down over 100 large for an S Class, MB takes this option AWAY from you. Does this make any sense to anyone here?

For some the glass roof is a “must have,” while others like myself, especially many who live in areas where it can get very hot, would prefer not to have a glass roof. MB needs to make this huge, expensive and somewhat controversial feature OPTIONAL on all models, especially on the W222 and other high end cars. Send MBUSA an email and tell them so. While you’re at it, tell them you also want the jack & spare returned as well.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
That's not Stuttgart's decision, that's MBUSA. Completely different animal we're discussing here. They're the same asshats who sold us out by signing an exclusive with Verizon Telematics so we get a crippled and barely-functional MercedesMe and mBrace instead of: NFC locking/unlocking of the car, ability to use MB Apps without a subscription (Euro models use your phone's data), Remote Parking, etc.

Keep in mind our neighbors to the north (Canada) can order both short & long wheelbase versions of the S, while our Germany counterparts even get 4 different key style choices, and yes, at least on the smaller-engine'd S-Classes, panoramic roof is optional. MBUSA makes these decisions. Remember the 1980s with all the gray market MBs? I even had a gray market 280CE. Why was that? Because of the ignorance and arrogance of MBUSA.

WE, the drivers, are not MBUSA's customers -- that privilege belongs to the dealerships. MBUSA could give a rat's rectum about you or me. That's why MBUSA pushed for legislation which effectively blocked the importing of gray-market cars. It's also why MB dealerships are, as a whole, worse than a Lexus or Infiniti dealership when it comes to service, and why MBUSA doesn't stand behind their products as well as Lexus does.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’ll apologize in advance to those who have heard this from me way too many times before, but the S Class, along with the Maybach is supposed to be MB’s ultra luxury car. True luxury, is being able to have something the way YOU want it, not the way some bean counter in Stuttgart decides how you SHOULD have it. If you order most any MB sedan below the W222, you have the OPTION of having a traditional moon roof OR the all glass Paborama Roof. However, if you are willing to step up and plunk down over 100 large for an S Class, MB takes this option AWAY from you. Does this make any sense to anyone here?

For some the glass roof is a “must have,” while others like myself, especially many who live in areas where it can get very hot, would prefer not to have a glass roof. MB needs to make this huge, expensive and somewhat controversial feature OPTIONAL on all models, especially on the W222 and other high end cars. Send MBUSA an email and tell them so. While you’re at it, tell them you also want the jack & spare returned as well.
Do you know how was it was to find a w221 with a pano roof? Virtually impossible to find a sport package W221 in white with a pano roof and black leather. But just the pano in general, super rare. Guess many didn't care to have it, but I did.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jason B
Do you know how was it was to find a w221 with a pano roof? Virtually impossible to find a sport package W221 in white with a pano roof and black leather. But just the pano in general, super rare. Guess many didn't care to have it, but I did.
.........and I am SO glad you have it and are enjoying it. So, a comparative handful of W221’s are ordered with the Panorama Roof, but MB decides that ALL W222 drivers MUST have it. Honestly, WTF are they drinking/smoking/ingesting over there?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

.........and I am SO glad you have it and are enjoying it. So, a comparative handful of W221’s are ordered with the Panorama Roof, but MB decides that ALL W222 drivers MUST have it. Honestly, WTF are they drinking/smoking/ingesting over there?
Correct. Again, very few had it, which was also kinda neat to have a car with that rare option that very few had. Now every w222 has them standard, and I'm not as special. LOL.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jason B
Correct. Again, very few had it, which was also kinda neat to have a car with that rare option that very few had. Now every w222 has them standard, and I'm not as special. LOL.
Yet another very good point: So many of us think of our cars as an extension of our personality. I want mine to look one way, you want yours to look another. Allowing customers to have many choices is attractive and allows us to tailor our car just the way we like it. MB, or MBUSA should be more accommodating, especially on their high end vehicles.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 485 Likes on 337 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

Yet another very good point: So many of us think of our cars as an extension of our personality. I want mine to look one way, you want yours to look another. Allowing customers to have many choices is attractive and allows us to tailor our car just the way we like it. MB, or MBUSA should be more accommodating, especially on their high end vehicles.
Just asking, but do you not want any sunroof at all? Or is it just the panoramic roof you don't like? The reason I'm asking is we had a tremendous amount of hail in Alabama last night and I got to thinking about how awful it would be to get caught in a baseball size hail storm with a sunroof.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
Just asking, but do you not want any sunroof at all? Or is it just the panoramic roof you don't like? The reason I'm asking is we had a tremendous amount of hail in Alabama last night and I got to thinking about how awful it would be to get caught in a baseball size hail storm with a sunroof.
Actually, I thought Tesla had it right, up until about a year or two ago. You could order the Model S with an all glass roof, or a moon roof or with a solid metal roof. They have since changed that and only the all glass roof is now offered. I would probably go for a moon roof, as I always liked the tilt feature, which was great for quickly ventilating a hot car. The least MB could do, if they shove the glass down our throats, is to make accidental roof breakage—not by being struck by an object—covered under warranty.