S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Trying to decide...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Tesla model s
Trying to decide...

Hello all, here is my story...when I retired from the military, I bought myself a 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ as my fun, luxury, daily driver, toy. It is a “meh” car. I’m looking something different. My comparisons right now are between the 2015 s550 4matic or 2019 Dodge Ram Laramie. I like space. The Tesla does not provide that cabin wise. I have a wife and two young kids (and all of the oversized toys they bring). I am considering both because of the size they provide and the amount of luxury they have. I live in NC, it does not snow that offered but when it does, it sucks because they do not have have the equipment necessary to keep the roads safe. Hence the all-wheel/ 4 wheel need. I don’t tow or hunt, so really would have no need for the truck other than it is an amazing truck. I test drove both, I so wish I could afford both but one daily plus what the wife drives (she is looking for a new vehicle also, trying to dupe her into a suv which would make my decision a little easier!). I am looking to purchase in the next 3-6 months so I have a little time to decide. Have any of you been in a similar situation and what made you go the way you decided?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
With two little kids and snow as much a is hate them you need an SUV or the dreaded mini van. G wagon prices have dropped considerably. Otherwise a GL550 or 63 and give Renntech a call and you will have all the power the Tesla had without the plug in leash.

There is no beating a G wagon for fun but it isn't a great highway cruiser. Plus you can use it for for a year and sell it for what you bought it for. I loved mine it just sucked for long road travels.
The following users liked this post:
chief holley (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Owning a truck or SUV makes life so much easier in many instances for sure. However, if you want fun, space, luxury, a good winter driver and to own an super bad *** car then look no further.

Congrats on your retirement, I'm an O-4, 15 years and counting.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:36 PM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by DABRONX
With two little kids and snow as much a is hate them you need an SUV or the dreaded mini van. G wagon prices have dropped considerably. Otherwise a GL550 or 63 and give Renntech a call and you will have all the power the Tesla had without the plug in leash.

There is no beating a G wagon for fun but it isn't a great highway cruiser. Plus you can use it for for a year and sell it for what you bought it for. I loved mine it just sucked for long road travels.

Hello DABRONX, I'm actually from Brooklyn! I think in part, that's what makes me want a Merc so bad as well. Plus, whenever driving back to see my parents, the truck will have no parking whatsoever there. Things definitely keep on inching towards the truck for sure.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:47 PM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by tkelley.EClass
Owning a truck or SUV makes life so much easier in many instances for sure. However, if you want fun, space, luxury, a good winter driver and to own an super bad *** car then look no further.

Congrats on your retirement, I'm an O-4, 15 years and counting.
Hey Major! Please don't do what I did and rush to get out. It's the "readjustment" phase and it can be difficult at times to portray your military experiences and make it relatable. I have test driven them both, the truck is definitely more versatile in what you can do, but I swear, everytime I drive down the street, I almost crash my drive looking at an S Class pass by! I am a little gun shy on foreign luxury cars right now, that is what's making me very cautious, had a bad experience with my wife's BMW. The engine cracked and of course, just after the extended warranty ran out. We paid $9,800 for a replacement, and that was after the military discount! I test drove the Lincoln Continental and the BMW 750 and rule them both out; the Lincoln feeling too old school for me and the BMW because it is a BMW.. How reliable has your merc been for you? I know there are so many factors that come into play and may be that people here just do not discuss fully what is going wrong with their car but I just don't see that many problems. Yes, $250 wipers is funny, but it's like you have to replace them every 6 months. I am also big into modding. I see that the S550 does not have a big aftermarket market, I guess you guys (and gals) are too busy making big time decisions to mod, I like personalization!
Old 06-21-2019, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
go get a gl550, best of both.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1bad540:
chief holley (06-22-2019), declo2000 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 PM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by 1bad540
go get a gl550, best of both.

Great idea! I really thought about that as well, I’ve never had a Mercedes, wasn’t too fond of the looks but the S class has caught my eye. I am going to try to keep choices between either the S550 or the Ram, hell, it’s taken me 4 months just to narrow those choices...
Old 06-22-2019, 06:46 AM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by chief holley
Hey Major! Please don't do what I did and rush to get out. It's the "readjustment" phase and it can be difficult at times to portray your military experiences and make it relatable. I have test driven them both, the truck is definitely more versatile in what you can do, but I swear, everytime I drive down the street, I almost crash my drive looking at an S Class pass by! I am a little gun shy on foreign luxury cars right now, that is what's making me very cautious, had a bad experience with my wife's BMW. The engine cracked and of course, just after the extended warranty ran out. We paid $9,800 for a replacement, and that was after the military discount! I test drove the Lincoln Continental and the BMW 750 and rule them both out; the Lincoln feeling too old school for me and the BMW because it is a BMW.. How reliable has your merc been for you? I know there are so many factors that come into play and may be that people here just do not discuss fully what is going wrong with their car but I just don't see that many problems. Yes, $250 wipers is funny, but it's like you have to replace them every 6 months. I am also big into modding. I see that the S550 does not have a big aftermarket market, I guess you guys (and gals) are too busy making big time decisions to mod, I like personalization!
I wouldnt get scared by any car brand, I mean every company has a bad engine or transmission here and there. My 2014 X5 was a beast for 2 years with zero issues. I've also had my wifes 2014 E350 for 4 years with no issues. As for the S class, so far so good. 6+ months and nothing but amazing driving every day.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Get a Dodge Grand Caravan for hauling the kids and all of their stuff. With the remaining amount of money get a S Class. One nice car one toss around car.
chief holley (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 10:19 AM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Get a Dodge Grand Caravan for hauling the kids and all of their stuff. With the remaining amount of money get a S Class. One nice car one toss around car.
If I do decide to get the S class, that would probably be my plan. If the wife gets a suv, that puts me at 75% closer to getting the Mercedes. The only problem with that is is that I will probably get my vehicle first, getting rid of the Tesla because it is the bigger of the car bills. I do solely believe in getting a car to drive it though. I understand the concept of the weekend driver, but why show off only on the weekend? I’m sure the kids would love to watch the headrest tv screens now that they both have transitioned to forward facing car seats.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:31 AM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by tkelley.EClass
I wouldnt get scared by any car brand, I mean every company has a bad engine or transmission here and there. My 2014 X5 was a beast for 2 years with zero issues. I've also had my wifes 2014 E350 for 4 years with no issues. As for the S class, so far so good. 6+ months and nothing but amazing driving every day.
It is gamble, I know. There will always be that one out of 10 cars that is a lemon. I had to research why there were so many cheap S550 in the market. At first I assumed it was because people were having issues with them and off loaded them. That is not the case. Many people purchase them as leases and once their term is up, they turn them back in and just get something else. 7 series are cheaper because they try to make their prices more attractive to lure in Mercedes owners. Mercedes sell twice as many cars then bmw, that tells you a lot and reading all of your post here definitely gives me a sense that the car is pretty sound.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I love my S560 sedan and it’s great for my wife and I. That said, with two kids, I would not think it nearly big enough. I feel the trunk is not nearly big enough and nowhere close to “cavernous” like an older Lincoln Town Car, etc. Our two, grown kids now each have three kids of their own and both families have GL450’s, which they love. Big, solid and very safe, which is what I would want if still hauling kids around. Gee, retired military with two small kids: MY MAN! Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Streamliner; 06-22-2019 at 10:41 AM.
chief holley (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:04 AM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I love my S560 sedan and it’s great for my wife and I. That said, with two kids, I would not think it nearly big enough. I feel the trunk is not nearly big enough and nowhere close to “cavernous” like an older Lincoln Town Car, etc. Our two, grown kids now each have three kids of their own and both families have GL450’s, which they love. Big, solid and very safe, which is what I would want if still hauling kids around. Gee, retired military with two small kids: MY MAN! Best of luck to you.
Thanks for putting into perspective, I may have to wait they are a little older. I’m 40 now, I joined right out of high school and my wife and I decided to enjoy ourselves first before bringing kids into the picture. Sometimes I wish we would have had them sooner because it sucks running behind little ones when your old and your body aches. Army put a lot of wear and tear on my knees and back.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
That is the biggest downside of the S550 is lack of trunk space. When i had the G550 we just packed and went now i have to make sure it will fit. I have to kids also but older. Also confirm options as 3d stereo and rear seat package also eat up even more trunk space t where it is useless.

Also rear seat entertainment set ups age very quickly. I had a 16 750i with the rear seat package that had the center console, reclining seats and tv's. My kids never used the TV's they just used their phones and I Pads. If they are under 10 yes, throwing on a movie is like giving them a sleeping pill.

GL550 and get a tune and you will be happy.

Honestly I just picked my car up from service today and I could not distinguish between an S, E or C. Its crazy when you see them all in a line. I am going to probably sell mine as it just has no character to it. I would get an E63 over an S if I did it over again. In all honesty it does everything right but it is a boring car for a younger buyer. Don't get caught up into the who S class deal drive and sit in them and buy what you like. I actually love the Chrylser 300M and wish they put the big motors back in them. Zero comparison in quality but a beautiful distinctive car.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
That is the biggest downside of the S550 is lack of trunk space. When i had the G550 we just packed and went now i have to make sure it will fit. I have to kids also but older. Also confirm options as 3d stereo and rear seat package also eat up even more trunk space t where it is useless.

Also rear seat entertainment set ups age very quickly. I had a 16 750i with the rear seat package that had the center console, reclining seats and tv's. My kids never used the TV's they just used their phones and I Pads. If they are under 10 yes, throwing on a movie is like giving them a sleeping pill.

Honestly I just picked my car up from service today and I could not distinguish between an S, E or C. Its crazy when you see them all in a line. I am going to probably sell mine as it just has no character to it. I would get an E63 over an S if I did it over again. In all honesty it does everything right but it is a boring car for a younger buyer. Don't get caught up into the who S class deal drive and sit in them and buy what you like. I actually love the Chrylser 300M and wish they put the big motors back in them. Zero comparison in quality but a beautiful distinctive car.
As much as I love my S560, I agree with you and can definitely understand how a younger buyer would find it boring. It is a very smooth, quiet, composed luxury sedan. Not much drama with an S Class. That said, I do not agree that the car needs a “tune.” These cars are amazingly quick and very fast, with their twin turbos and the 9-speed trans. If I didn’t care about the smoothness of the V8 with all its torque, I’m sure I’d be quite satisfied—as many here are—with an S450. If someone really needs more power than a stock S560, then they should step up to an S63 and get all the suspension and brakes needed to safely handle all that torque and power.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 991 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
As much as I love my S560, I agree with you and can definitely understand how a younger buyer would find it boring. It is a very smooth, quiet, composed luxury sedan. Not much drama with an S Class. That said, I do not agree that the car needs a “tune.” These cars are amazingly quick and very fast, with their twin turbos and the 9-speed trans. If I didn’t care about the smoothness of the V8 with all its torque, I’m sure I’d be quite satisfied—as many here are—with an S450. If someone really needs more power than a stock S560, then they should step up to an S63 and get all the suspension and brakes needed to safely handle all that torque and power.
He was saying get a tune on a GL550
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
He was saying get a tune on a GL550
Yes, my mistake, but I believe my words are even more relevant to the GL550. This is a huge, heavy, behemoth of a vehicle. A truck actually. It should be driven like a cruise ship, not like a sports car. Make it faster and faster without upgrading the suspension & brakes and I believe one is really asking for trouble.
Dyeelitt (06-29-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:00 AM

2013 Tesla model s

Whatever I decide to get will definitely be tuned. The Tesla’s may be very simple but the power is addictive! I’m still on the fence about a GL, not really a SUV guy. The truck will look more rugged, but I can put the tough guy exterior aside and let the S Class pamper me!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Get the S, and talk your wife into what it seems a third of the folks in NC (at least the Asheville area) drive--a Subaru. Get her a Forester or Ascent. Plenty of room and they will go anywhere.
Or, we have some friends in Asheville that just bought a 19 Acura RDX sh-awd, and love it. That or the larger MDX would work as well (we have had 4 of those).
chief holley (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just received a review on the brand new GLS from Automobile Magazine. Here is what they say about the six & eight cylinder versions:

You might think that the GLS580’s potent V-8 would be the no-brainer, with its stonking 483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque, but we actually preferred the GLS450’s inline-six despite it making “just” 362 horsepower and 369 lb-ft. Why? Because the six-cylinder’s interaction with the 9G-Tronic nine-speed automatic transmission was far smoother, more refined, and more consistent across all types of driving.

While the 580’s power is certainly impressive, the 450 is never left feeling slow or balky despite the GLS’s likely 5,500-ish-pound curb weight (Mercedes has yet to release final weights for the vehicle). That fact is reflected in the marque’s claimed zero-to-60-mph times: The 580 is quoted at 5.2 seconds, while the 450 is very close behind at 5.9. Will you ever miss that three-quarters of a second in the real world? Not likely. But you will appreciate the regal smoothness of the GLS450’s engine/transmission combo every time you drive.

Some folks appreciate smoothness and refinement, while others seem to always need more power. Kind of like the Harley guys who make so much noise and think they are so bad, when most any mid-range rice burner can blow their handlebars off, with hardly a sound. Oh well.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:34 AM

2013 Tesla model s
Just received a review on the brand new GLS from Automobile Magazine. Here is what they say about the six & eight cylinder versions:

You might think that the GLS580’s potent V-8 would be the no-brainer, with its stonking 483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque, but we actually preferred the GLS450’s inline-six despite it making “just” 362 horsepower and 369 lb-ft. Why? Because the six-cylinder’s interaction with the 9G-Tronic nine-speed automatic transmission was far smoother, more refined, and more consistent across all types of driving.

While the 580’s power is certainly impressive, the 450 is never left feeling slow or balky despite the GLS’s likely 5,500-ish-pound curb weight (Mercedes has yet to release final weights for the vehicle). That fact is reflected in the marque’s claimed zero-to-60-mph times: The 580 is quoted at 5.2 seconds, while the 450 is very close behind at 5.9. Will you ever miss that three-quarters of a second in the real world? Not likely. But you will appreciate the regal smoothness of the GLS450’s engine/transmission combo every time you drive.

Some folks appreciate smoothness and refinement, while others seem to always need more power. Kind of like the Harley guys who make so much noise and think they are so bad, when most any mid-range rice burner can blow their handlebars off, with hardly a sound. Oh well.
Wow, maybe now I will have to do some more looking into a GLS! You can’t beat the growl of a v-8, the S does not have any growl (that you can hear at least). My backside has been a lot more sensitive and refinement does sound really well. I do like a little sportiness, I turned 40 yesterday so I’m not that old. I have to enjoy my ride and have never believed in a trailer queen so she will be driven!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 AM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by TNS550
Get the S, and talk your wife into what it seems a third of the folks in NC (at least the Asheville area) drive--a Subaru. Get her a Forester or Ascent. Plenty of room and they will go anywhere.
Or, we have some friends in Asheville that just bought a 19 Acura RDX sh-awd, and love it. That or the larger MDX would work as well (we have had 4 of those).
This is amazing because these are both vehicles we have looked at for her! The Subaru Ascent was surprisingly stout for a 4 cyclinder and we have an appointment to test drive the MDX. We need something that can tote oversized toys, two kids and a grandmother. As for me, I am using the excuse of needing one family hauler and riding in style when needed. The choice is incredibly difficult now because everything is going to SUV/ trucks and the three row SUV and truck market are incredibly competitive now. Lots of repairs for the Acura’s versus the S? Of course I’m sure the S warrants a higher repair cost but have you suffered any significant repair cost? I know everyone will say just get a extended warranty, but I will running close to the time where I cannot get a extended warranty on a 2015 S and again, had a horrible experience (I know it’s really hard to compare a S class to a bmw 550i GT) but definitely enough to make you a little weary. Paying almost 10k in repairs tends to do that. Our extended warranty ran out 250 miles before the engine cracked and we stuck doing “stay or go” dance. Either way, we would lose.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Originally Posted by chief holley
This is amazing because these are both vehicles we have looked at for her! The Subaru Ascent was surprisingly stout for a 4 cyclinder and we have an appointment to test drive the MDX. We need something that can tote oversized toys, two kids and a grandmother. As for me, I am using the excuse of needing one family hauler and riding in style when needed. The choice is incredibly difficult now because everything is going to SUV/ trucks and the three row SUV and truck market are incredibly competitive now. Lots of repairs for the Acura’s versus the S? Of course I’m sure the S warrants a higher repair cost but have you suffered any significant repair cost? I know everyone will say just get a extended warranty, but I will running close to the time where I cannot get a extended warranty on a 2015 S and again, had a horrible experience (I know it’s really hard to compare a S class to a bmw 550i GT) but definitely enough to make you a little weary. Paying almost 10k in repairs tends to do that. Our extended warranty ran out 250 miles before the engine cracked and we stuck doing “stay or go” dance. Either way, we would lose.
I have had four MDXs (01, 05, 11, & 17). Until about 18 months ago the MDX was my daily driver. Each time I say it is my last MDX (just for something different), but I believe it is the best all around value in the group. I just don’t believe the Q7, X5, etc are worth the price differential. I have had no issues outside warranty with any of the four MDXs.

Re the S550, you mentioned an extended warranty. I recently purchased my 2015 from a friend/client in his mid 80s. When I bought it in April it had 6,200 miles. He had it serviced annually but had bought it in September 2014 so it was out of warranty, and I was unable to buy a MB extended warranty. I spoke with the two MB dealerships primarily mentioned on this site and both recommended the Fidelity Platinum as a third-party warranty. These can be bought from any dealer in Fidelity’s network and pricing is principally based on current mileage. I was able to buy an 8yr/80,000 mi warranty from a local MB dealer cheaper than offered by the two MB dealers on this site.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 AM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
So we own a 16 Maybach, a 18 AMG GTC, and finally a 06 Ford E150 cargo van.

We use the van when we go to the gym since were all sweaty on the way home. The van gets driven on rainy days. Basically the van is the workhorse of the house if it gets dirty its NO big deal. The cars get driven on nice days, and on road trips.
chief holley (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM

2013 Tesla model s
Originally Posted by TNS550
I have had four MDXs (01, 05, 11, & 17). Until about 18 months ago the MDX was my daily driver. Each time I say it is my last MDX (just for something different), but I believe it is the best all around value in the group. I just don’t believe the Q7, X5, etc are worth the price differential. I have had no issues outside warranty with any of the four MDXs.

Re the S550, you mentioned an extended warranty. I recently purchased my 2015 from a friend/client in his mid 80s. When I bought it in April it had 6,200 miles. He had it serviced annually but had bought it in September 2014 so it was out of warranty, and I was unable to buy a MB extended warranty. I spoke with the two MB dealerships primarily mentioned on this site and both recommended the Fidelity Platinum as a third-party warranty. These can be bought from any dealer in Fidelity’s network and pricing is principally based on current mileage. I was able to buy an 8yr/80,000 mi warranty from a local MB dealer cheaper than offered by the two MB dealers on this site.
Great advice, thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide...