S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Mercedes stops development of all ICE engines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C 300
Originally Posted by syswei
I think you're right that EV makes it "easier" for a company, even a startup with no experience in cars, to make a fast car. We definitely have a greater number of companies in the car business for the near term, partly as a result. You know that when Dyson, which made your vacuum, pours money into EV development (their car is due in 2021). Or when a startup like Rivian gets an order for 100,000 units of a delivery van from Amazon.

But there is still plenty of differentiation between a Taycan and a Model S, for instance, starting with interiors, even if you get the Taycan without leather.
Rivian is a company that I'm really paying close attention to. They seem to be ticking off all the boxes when it comes to the design, specs, and the financial backing. It now comes down to execution and here's hoping they can pull it off.
The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
LS400
Originally Posted by JohnDoeMB
I think we need a gas turbine - hybrid electric Maybach. 0-60 in 3.2 seconds...
I like how some people know nothing about turbines and fuel consumption. This guy shows the fuel flow of one of many fuel nozzles in a jet engine, it all depends on the combustion chamber design.
If I remember the shown flow is just above what idle would be. Fuel flow in a turbine is just like flushing a toilet.

I saw the mention of grease etc for a piston engine? EV's will still need it, and if truly the mineral fuel and oil company's go down the tube from the rush of electrics and all the political bs, can you imagine what that will all do to the cost of petroleum related products? Simple stuff like the eye lube, Vaseline, all plastics, clothes, shoes, and that oil or grease for bearings etc, and then there are things that the uneducated knows nothing about. In all of manufacturing oil products are king. The big windmill transmissions are full of it, hydro electric generators use it, and the wires have insulation??
All the machinery needs it, something has to keep the CNC machines lubed, as well as the coolants that are used. Metal forming presses have to have the dies lubed, if the lube is sub par then the dies wear out too fast, all gear cutting machines use oil as coolant and cutting lube, all to help add to the price of the end products. So really be very careful what all you EV'ers wish for.

Last edited by exhaustgases; 11-19-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
I like how some people know nothing about turbines and fuel consumption. This guy shows the fuel flow of one of many fuel nozzles in a jet engine, it all depends on the combustion chamber design.
If I remember the shown flow is just above what idle would be. Fuel flow in a turbine is just like flushing a toilet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fRBOkXvAK0

I saw the mention of grease etc for a piston engine? EV's will still need it, and if truly the mineral fuel and oil company's go down the tube from the rush of electrics and all the political bs, can you imagine what that will all do to the cost of petroleum related products? Simple stuff like the eye lube, Vaseline, all plastics, clothes, shoes, and that oil or grease for bearings etc, and then there are things that the uneducated knows nothing about. In all of manufacturing oil products are king. The big windmill transmissions are full of it, hydro electric generators use it, and the wires have insulation??
All the machinery needs it, something has to keep the CNC machines lubed, as well as the coolants that are used. Metal forming presses have to have the dies lubed, if the lube is sub par then the dies wear out too fast, all gear cutting machines use oil as coolant and cutting lube, all to help add to the price of the end products. So really be very careful what all you EV'ers wish for.
Haha perhaps your video documents the fuel flow required for a classic 737 with JT8Ds. And in which scenario, required to be run from gate to gate.

Perhaps a more thought out approach instead of thick skulled passive aggression should be applied.

Using a small gas turbine engine, is highly efficient as well meeting the more stringent and ridiculous emission standards.

Taking this approach of having a gas turbine engine almost as a range extending device, in addition to a 40KWh battery is certainly mechanically viable. To turn on and run at high RPMs and efficiency only occasionally to top off the battery. There is plenty of electricy and torque availble to start the turbine and keep the compressor chamber warm.

Costly? Yes.
Suitable for mass scale? No.

After all I'm sure 99% of us will never own a Maybach.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 S560
Amen to those facts. And the next-gen will sit on their asses and live off parents that are living off their parents. And when a light bulb doesn't light anymore they'll call an electrician until all the money is gone. At that point, the government will own them, their property, and their children's future.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 S560
After reading all your non-disputable facts about saving the planet and the wonderful use of electricity to save us all from the doomsday bomb, I asked myself what car does this guy have? Sure enough a Tesla and maybe a Prius for the wife, I didn't wonder about the "car he drives" because he never experienced the joys of driving.

B.T.W. Jesus Christ doesn't have a thing to do with any of this! That comment is so out of place you should be banned from the forum.