S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

My New Car Withdrawal Symtoms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 12:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My New Car Withdrawal Symtoms

My 2019 S560 is on a vessel, the Morning Chant which is somewhere in the Indian Ocean. En route from the last port Durban to Fremantle Western Australia and then on to the Port of Melbourne for me. I have lost all contact from the 21st Oct, and no live updates to ship position, using Marine Traffic.com. I suspect this is the case due to the vast expanse of the Indian Ocean.
I hope that it is just the case that the AIS system is offline .... although in today's digital world and satellite tracking capabilities etc. this should not be the case. ??

Expected ETA Fremantle - 4th November.
Expected ETA Melbourne - 9th November.
Expected Customs clearance, Compliance paperwork, PDI etc........ ??

Excruciating #4@5^& but a great opportunity to practice patience

Last edited by Joshua; 10-28-2019 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I had a similar experience with a trans-Atlantic shipment from Europe to the US. Good ship status updates until leaving the last European port, then nothing until the ship was approached the US port.

marinetraffic and vesselfinder appear to offer pay services for real time vessel position information.

Do you have a bill of lading? Try tracking it here: https://www.eukor.com/ek/homepage/02...rgoTracking.do

Last edited by chassis; 10-27-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:12 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've really been noticing the large increase of folks that start sentences with the word SO.........I know I know.......I'm not the grammar police but it's still really annoying to see on MB forum. I had to say something, can't ignore it anymore.

Yeah, waiting sux......
Old 10-28-2019, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by chassis
I had a similar experience with a trans-Atlantic shipment from Europe to the US. Good ship status updates until leaving the last European port, then nothing until the ship was approached the US port.

marinetraffic and vesselfinder appear to offer pay services for real time vessel position information.

Do you have a bill of lading? Try tracking it here: https://www.eukor.com/ek/homepage/02...rgoTracking.do
thanks but I don't have a Bill of Lading. Don't even know what that is. I just have my VIN from the dealership and a screen shot of the Dealers Computer system showing my car is on the Morning Chant Vessel.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:00 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I've really been noticing the large increase of folks that start sentences with the word SO.........I know I know.......I'm not the grammar police but it's still really annoying to see on MB forum. I had to say something, can't ignore it anymore.

Yeah, waiting sux......
So now removed

Sux

The following users liked this post:
stever500 (11-19-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 03:04 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Joshua
thanks but I don't have a Bill of Lading. Don't even know what that is. I just have my VIN from the dealership and a screen shot of the Dealers Computer system showing my car is on the Morning Chant Vessel.
Ok, So, I looked up bill of lading. I definitely don't have one.
It was a minor feat just to tease my VIN out of the dealer.
In 3 days the Morning Chant will be close enough to the Port of Fremantle to get an AIS signal / update.

Like I said ... great test of patience .... makes the actual delivery day that much sweeter ......
Old 11-19-2019, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667

Yeah, waiting sux......
Its finally here and Thursday 21st Nov is delivery date.
I got a call from the dealership that my new S560 is in pre-delivery inspection and preparation for delivery.

I also got a call from the "lifestyle coordinator" - Yes. That's what her title actually is. She did the hard sell for paint protection (Permagard), Tinting, Scratch and Dent Protection / pre-paid repairs, interior protection etc. A princely sum of $5500 AUD (apparently discounted from the original value of $7,700 AUD).

What do you good folks in the forum think ? Did any of you take up some of the dealership's offering or did you not bother or did you get your own independent suppliers to put in such post delivery options / accessories ??
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
I purchased the wheel warranty from the dealer since I have the 20 inch wheels and am concerned about pot hole damage. I purchased from an independent dealer XPEL (clear bra) forward of the front window and mirrors and a nano paint coating for scratch and bird droppings resistance.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 613 Likes on 405 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
I got a call from the dealership that my new S560 is in pre-delivery inspection and preparation for delivery.

I also got a call from the "lifestyle coordinator" - Yes. That's what her title actually is. She did the hard sell for paint protection (Permagard), Tinting, Scratch and Dent Protection / pre-paid repairs, interior protection etc. A princely sum of $5500 AUD (apparently discounted from the original value of $7,700 AUD).

What do you good folks in the forum think ? Did any of you take up some of the dealership's offering or did you not bother or did you get your own independent suppliers to put in such post delivery options / accessories ??
I recommend that you remove the dent protection and interior protection and keep all others. Read through the details they give you after signing the document, you would find that they cover dents within certain size only and it's only a cold work (no paint) fix (meaning it's only dings you get when someone hits your door with his door too). This is basically useless as the likelihood that you get a dent is too small depending on when you part it, and also, it cost LESS THAN $50 to fix a dent. I was able to save and reduce the total cost of this protection plan by $1,300 USD by removing the dent protection. Do same for paint protection because you insurance covers scratches normally due to anything, humans, hail, falling trees ( it's cheaper to add same type of protection to you car insurance). I saved another $800 USD by doing that by the way it was already covered by my car insurance. for $2,100 USD total savings there is much more you can do for your car or anything else. Rims and tire protection is worth it by the way.

Last edited by S_W222; 11-19-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)

All high profit items for the dealer...
Old 11-19-2019, 02:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
I just researched Permagard - it's just a polymer, don't get it. You want a physical barrier if keeping the car long term. Something like an Xpel film offers much, much better protection and has a 10 year warranty.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by aypues
I just researched Permagard - it's just a polymer, don't get it. You want a physical barrier if keeping the car long term. Something like an Xpel film offers much, much better protection and has a 10 year warranty.
Thank you all for your helpful responses.

It turns out my delivery is not going ahead tomorrow as my car did not arrive last night from the car preparation and Australian Compliance Authority.
I am in short term limbo.

I will re-look at the RIMS and Tire protection option - as I too have 20" wheels ....