S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

MB Dealer service Labor Rates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 12:19 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
Originally Posted by JohnLane
You have a hoist and let MB abuse you for anything but the most unpleasant repairs?!

That sure looks a lot like my 124-036 500E from decades ago in the background. I gave it the same monoblocks. Loved that car.
That's my 2002 E55, wish I had bought a 500E when I had an oppurtunity of buying one few years ago with 10K miles for 55K.

With everything on YT nowadays, there's really no reason for bringing your car to a mechanic for work like oil changes, brake work (fluid and replace pads/rotors) and transmission fluid changes to name few

Recently wife's BMW needed brakes so I looked up YT, felt confortable enough and did the job myself.

My E55 was choking up when stomped on the gas, trouble shot the problem to fuel system (fuel pump vs filter), looked it up on YT, replaced the filter and bingo, car runs like a banshee now

Don't let the car intmidate you.

Garage lyft really helps tremendiously.

Last edited by Faast; 08-18-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:28 PM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by Faast
That's my 2002 E55, wish I had bought a 500E when I had an oppurtunity of buying one few years ago with 10K miles for 55K.

With everything on YT nowadays, there's really no reason for bringing your car to a mechanic for work like oil changes, brake work (fluid and replace pads/rotors) and transmission fluid changes to name few

Recently wife's BMW needed brakes so I looked up YT, felt confortable enough and did the job myself.

My E55 was choking up when stomped on the gas, trouble shot the problem to fuel system (fuel pump vs filter), looked it up on YT, replaced the filter and bingo, car runs like a banshee now

Garage lyft really helps tremendiously.

“With everything on YT nowadays, there's really no reason for bringing your car to a mechanic for work like oil changes, brake work (fluid and replace pads/rotors) and transmission fluid changes to name few…”

You’re completely overlooking those of us who have neither the skills nor the desires to do our own car work.

Way too late. Scared me off 75 years ago.

Last edited by Newbyloub; 08-18-2024 at 02:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
badq45t (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Newbyloub

You’re completely overlooking those of us who have neither the skills nor the desires to do our own car work.

Way too late. Scared me off 75 years ago.
I had zero skills up until few years ago and i am still at 3 on a scale of 1-10, but honestly there's nothing a human mind can't do. I will not tackle anything that I don't feel comfortable doing so I would watch the YT step by step until i feel sure I can do it and then game on

I just changed oil on my E63s first time and to be quite honest, it's way simpler than my kids camry, seriously. Gave me confidence to tackle the engine solenoid wiring harnesses and on to taking air tubes out on to changing the air filters etc.

The key is to have a lyft, makes things so much eaiser.

But I do understand where you are coming from.
Old 08-19-2024, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,774 Posts
2024 S580
With everything on YT nowadays, there's really no reason for bringing your car to a mechanic for work like oil changes, brake work (fluid and replace pads/rotors) and transmission fluid changes to name a few

It doesn’t intimidate me. I have no doubt that if I wanted to, I could do the work myself. Just like I could build a house…if I wanted to.

But…I don’t want to lol. I have lots of things to do that quite frankly earn me enough to pay people to do stuff like that for me.
Old 08-19-2024, 05:15 PM

Received 262 Likes on 179 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
I had zero skills up until few years ago and i am still at 3 on a scale of 1-10, but honestly there's nothing a human mind can't do. I will not tackle anything that I don't feel comfortable doing so I would watch the YT step by step until i feel sure I can do it and then game on

I just changed oil on my E63s first time and to be quite honest, it's way simpler than my kids camry, seriously. Gave me confidence to tackle the engine solenoid wiring harnesses and on to taking air tubes out on to changing the air filters etc.

The key is to have a lyft, makes things so much eaiser.

But I do understand where you are coming from.
I'm jealous!!! I wish I had a lift like that in my garage, but not possible. I had a scissor lift but sold it almost a decade ago. It was great for swapping summer snd winter wheel sets for my wife and me. I also did brakes and few other thi9ngs, but when I went to leasing new cars for a period of time, I decided to sell it. Now I wish I still had it, even for washing the lower and underside of the car. Maybe I'll find another one day.
You are blessed to have that in yoru garage.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by SW20S
It doesn’t intimidate me. I have no doubt that if I wanted to, I could do the work myself. Just like I could build a house…if I wanted to.

But…I don’t want to lol. I have lots of things to do that quite frankly earn me enough to pay people to do stuff like that for me.
Funny you say that. I can buy any car I want to Porsche, Ferrari, lambo you name it but I feel more pleasure spending time in the garage learning ever so slow sorting out the cars I have.

The pixels in my E55 dash have gone bad, could easily send it out for repair but what fun would that be.
Some love driving their cars and some love working on them, I am the second kind but at the end of the day, we are all car nuts enjoying our cars.

Having said that, If i had a good local Indy shop I probably would not have started working on my cars either

I needed to buy new lenses for my E55 but then I thought what would people do in other countries where they can't afford new pair of lenses--- watched few YT channels and here we go

Step by step I am gaining confidence in doing varying degrees of car challenges knowing if I screw it, I can always buy new items or take it to the shop.

Please don't take me wrong, I am not bragging about myself. All i am saying is with YT, we all can enjoy the DIY part of the car ownership too.

God Bless

This is how the headlights looked prior to refnishing them

Step 1--sanding process (nervous as hell)

Step 2-- continue the sanding process --Oh my!

Final product--- Love it

Last edited by Faast; 08-19-2024 at 10:32 PM.
TexaS560 (08-19-2024)
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,774 Posts
2024 S580
If you enjoy that, thats great...I just don't have any interest in that.
Lou B (Yesterday)