S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

CarPlay/Android Auto working on 2014 S-Class for less than $300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2020 | 07:38 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
Originally Posted by Mandingo
Thanks - what kind of issues? Muffled or echo or ...?
I don’t remember. It just didn’t work well, and when I discovered I could use the OEM Bluetooth system for calls I didn’t bother troubleshooting because it works great. Why use a cheap chinese mic when you can utilize the MB system that was designed for the car?
Old 06-14-2020 | 10:36 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Ok, system arrived this morning, arrived in just under a week. Installation went smoothly but I had a few issues. First was the screen was very noisy with "interference" lines across it even with recommended dip switch settings. Joyeauto tech support managed to solve that one - turns out the dip switch setting required for my screen were different from the ones in the manual (I needed 2, 3 and 8 ON, all others OFF) and now the screen looks great.

Second issue was no Siri button - he explained for my setup (and daviper maybe yours?) it is the TEL button - one quick press to activate Siri:-

Third issue and a bit of a biggie - I have no audio. From any source. Even from the original COMAND system. I broke my audio . I worked on the fiber optic cable for a long while but no luck, I reset COMAND and the Joyeauto box a few times too. I'll sit on it for a few days but if I can't solve it I think i'll need MB to run diagnostics and see if I broke the fiber optic cable or blew a fuse or something. It was all going so well!

Last edited by Mandingo; 06-14-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2020 | 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Third issue and a bit of a biggie - I have no audio. From any source. Even from the original COMAND system. I broke my audio . I worked on the fiber optic cable for a long while but no luck, I reset COMAND and the Joyeauto box a few times too. I'll sit on it for a few days but if I can't solve it I think i'll need MB to run diagnostics and see if I broke the fiber optic cable or blew a fuse or something. It was all going so well!
Regarding the auto issue... oh my god.... am expecting my unit to arrive very soon and now you got me really concerned with the audio issue...
Old 06-14-2020 | 10:42 PM

W222 S63 AMG
One way to look at it is a professional installer would have charged me several hundred dollars to get this installed, it cost me zero.

I am hopeful I haven't broken anything expensive but MB will probably charge me a few hundred bucks to diagnose and fix.

So I'm probably going to come out even!
Old 06-16-2020 | 09:46 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
Thank you for the update about Siri. I worked with support and got my unit’s software updated to the most recent version and it DOES fix Siri. Siri is now activated by pressing the TEL button like Mandingo mentioned. Everything now seems to be working perfectly.
Old 06-17-2020 | 12:06 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by daviper
Thank you for the update about Siri. I worked with support and got my unit’s software updated to the most recent version and it DOES fix Siri. Siri is now activated by pressing the TEL button like Mandingo mentioned. Everything now seems to be working perfectly.
Glad everything is working. How well does the Glo 2 improve the GPS? I have started driving around and I have noticed the GPS accuracy through the CarPlay box isn’t great compared to the regular iPhone. Any tricks to getting it set up reliably?
Old 06-18-2020 | 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by daviper
@daviper can you share the details of the software update and how you did it? If there is a file, can you share a copy of it? I am expecting my unit to arrive very soon and would also like to have the most recent version of the software updated.
Old 06-19-2020 | 06:06 AM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
Originally Posted by S_W222
@daviper can you share the details of the software update and how you did it? If there is a file, can you share a copy of it? I am expecting my unit to arrive very soon and would also like to have the most recent version of the software updated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MB...ature=youtu.be

Software updates are on their website - pw is joyedow
Old 06-19-2020 | 06:13 AM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
Glad everything is working. How well does the Glo 2 improve the GPS? I have started driving around and I have noticed the GPS accuracy through the CarPlay box isn’t great compared to the regular iPhone. Any tricks to getting it set up reliably?
It worked well for getting a signal (had it on the rear decklid) - the only issue is every once in a while you have to disconnect/reconnect to it in the bluetooth menu for your phone to remember to use that device for GPS signal. It's not a Glo 2 issue - more an iphone thing for it not wanting to get gps signal from an external antenna. Either way, it was the only solution that worked well in my S63 coupe. My phone gets a GPS signal in my S550 sedan so I didn't reinstall the Glo 2 in this car.
Old 06-20-2020 | 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I installed the apple Carplay system today. Works perfect except for the Bluetooth not sure why I couldn’t get it to work via Bluetooth
has any of you been able to get it to work with Bluetooth instead of usb connectivity?
Old 06-20-2020 | 12:46 AM

W222 S63 AMG
I got my audio fixed, it was a connector in the back of the center console. Phew.

Anyhoo, yes, wireless CarPlay works - the instructions are a little funky - you set up bluetooth from the Settings menu on the box and it then sets up the WiFi connection - don't connect to the WiFi network directly. You might have to set Visibility to ON from the BT Settings option on the box then join the bluetooth connection "Joyeauto" with your iPhone.

I have noticed GPS accuracy is worse with wireless CarPlay so I'm sticking with wired for now. I *believe* in wireless CarPlay mode the iPhone totally relies on the Joyeauto box for GPS location and for me that will always be worse than my iPhone GPS because of where the box is located. In USB tethered mode it uses the iPhone GPS which for me is better.
Old 10-05-2020 | 03:07 PM

2017 S550 Sedan W222
If anyone is interested, I just listed my Joyeauto setup for sale here (for $250):
https://mbworld.org/forums/market/796036

I traded in my W222 and pulled it back out before selling. Works great!
Old 02-08-2022 | 08:12 AM

S400 W222
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-play-kit.html
@S_W222@e55phil
I realise the post was posted back in 2020 and hope your thread can help my inquiry for 2014 W222.
I have also found an interesting post from @daviper with pictures of the installation on his 2015 W222
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...han-300-a.html

I have a W222 import from Japan. Wondering if anyone managed to have a current version of the joyeauto apple car kit working on a MY14 W222 even though the product description states the kit supports W222 manufactured between 2015 and 2018.

Hopeful the joyeauto or there are similar add on apple car kits that can
  • unlock the (JAP) Digital EPG TV module to receive AUS digital signal
  • unlock/extend frequency FM range from 88 to 108MHz
  • unlock/update the map region to AUS/NZ if required - a quirk described by @e55phil , let MB command map do its own thing before using the car play kit
  • have wifi connection to my iphone / portable device
  • full functionality of controls on steering wheel and touchpad
Cheers

Originally Posted by S_W222
Hey All, please make sure to use this promo code that i found to get a discount (it works for unlimited number of times, so everyone can use it):
Promo Code: merc222
Link: https://www.joyeauto.com/product/mer...lay-interface/
Originally Posted by e55phil
Forgive me but let me answer both of you at the same time.

It took me 2 1/2 hours but I'm not a technical guy and I'm also very careful. Honestly probably 30 minutes was figuring out how to set the dip switch settings. I had to monkey around with that to get it to work.

I hate to get rid of this car and I'm going to keep it for a while as a second car and I want to have Apple car play.

As for quirks:

1. When you turn the car on its best to let the Mercedes navigation system run its course before you plug in the phone. I find it when I plug it in before hand it doesn't work.

2. The system has either Wi-Fi and if you turn that on then it will connect on its own. I haven't used this very much but it seems to work.

3. When you install the system you have to use one of the USB ports in the center console. It becomes dedicated to the Joyeauto device. In order for the phone and the device to work together you have to press the media button and select whichever USB port you're using. I use USB port 2.

If you don't press the media button and if the media button is not set to media interface 2 than the Joyeauto system won't work correctly.

4. If you long press the back button on the center console you'll switch between Mercedes and Joyeauto. You can go back-and-forth at will.

Sometimes I would long press the back button so that I could listen to a local radio station or satellite radio. While listening to satellite radio or a local radio station I would then long press the back button so that I could use Google maps.

If a phone call comes in and the Mercedes interface is not connected to media port 2, you can still see Google maps and you can still hear the radio station but when you try to answer the phone using car play it doesn't work. The caller can hear you but you cannot hear the caller or sometimes vice versa.

You have to have the presence of mind when the phone rings to long press the back button, press the media button, then long press the back button and answer the phone. However as I recall you can get around this by pressing the answer phone button on the steering wheel.

5. Also keep in mind that unless you're in an urban area Apple maps doesn't work. Neither do Google maps. And for that matter if you don't have a strong signal Siri doesn't work.

I bought my car in 2015 thinking the S class would come out a year earlier than it's going to. I don't want to be the first buyer of an S class in its first year so I'm going to buy an e class station wagon which will accommodate my country house. I'm buying the so-called all-terrain which a lot of people are making fun of the looks but it has the latest and greatest MB UX and the E class has been out for a few years so they've worked out the bugs. In 2022 I plan to buy a new S class after they've work through the problems.

If you live in an urban area where there is a lot of Internet signal it's worth the time and energy to install this unit. I live in New York City and I find the system to be great.

The main things I like about it are as follows:

If I short press the phone button I get Siri and all of the benefits of Siri. Call this person, tell me the weather here, tell me the time there, navigate to this location or that location. All of those things are really valuable to me.

Also I can send a text. Using Siri I can send a text to my wife or my broker or whomever. I never have to take my eyes off the road or monkey with my phone.

If you or anyone sends me a text Siri will read it to me.

There is the obvious benefit of using either Apple maps or Google maps.

If you have satellite radio you can install the satellite radio app on your phone and listen to satellite radio for free. This allows you to switch to the next song if you don't like the song is playing or even go back as I recall.

So as I say it has little quirks that you have to get used to but once you get used to it it's no problem. If you're old enough to remember DOS where you did things at the command prompt you just remember these little quirks and it's easy to deal with.

As for your question about the Internet, I don't have any sort of Internet in my car. I experimented with that and it was completely bogus. Also I was afraid that it allows bad guys to access my car while I'm driving. In my case I rely on the telephone Internet for my Internet.

I hope this answers all of your questions. I'm glad I bought the Joyeauto product and I would recommend it

I took some video of my installation but I just haven't got around to posting it but the guy Barron from Joyeauto will send it.

I am a desk jockey and if I can do it anybody can
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​