S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why did MB so obviously ruin the new S Class? After watching this review, NEVER!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 07:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 S560 4MATIC
I finally got around to watching the Autogefühl review. I gotta say that I was really shocked to watch him press the steering wheel "capacitive" controls, and I saw the entire set of buttons depress! That is insane. And there is really no volume knob at all?? More insantity. Even the Tesla Model S has a roller control that can be used for volume.

I am really excited by all the driving tech and especially the rear-wheel steering, but I am so disgusted by the interior design. The best move I made was to buy the 2020 S560, so now I can enjoy the best S Class, while waiting for the mid-cycle redesign, in which hopefully they will completely redo those awful interior choices.

Whenever they do the redesign, I hope they implement that super-wide screen design that was unveiled in the past week and ditch the separate mini driver and tablet screens. They can take those 4 vents adorning the top of the dash, where they look really bad, and move them someplace less conspicuous. Add hard buttons for major functions, like volume control, media back/forward, and climate. Put the hard buttons back on the steering wheel. Reinstate actual moving (tactile) seat buttons.

Overall, Mercedes needs to continue pushing technology forward, as the S Class has always done, but don't forget that it is made for actual human beings to control.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speednet:
Donnymac (01-11-2021), superangrypenguin (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:41 PM

2020 S560 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DABRONX
On You tube there is a video were someone super imposes the w222 and w223 over each other and besides for the tail lights they are very similar. There is a camp of people who feel they didnt change it enough vs changing too much.

I am in process of buying new car and was going Bentley but have held off pending seeing the w223 in the flesh. I get the lack of buttons but its just a sign of the times and what the younger buyers want.

There seams to be a shift of wealth or should i say false sense of wealth. Look anywhere and luxury goods are in fashion with younger people. Lamborghini can even keep up with the demand.It used to be you worked hard and succeeded and now its you get 72-100 months of payments and live in your parents basement.

Seeing a luxury car like a BMW or Mercedes was a finger pointing moment now you cant drive a block without seeing one. They are going for a younger buyer and it isnt changing anytime soon. Look at BMW doubling down on what everybody in every forum swore was the end of BMW with the big grilles.

Its a nice looking car and I will wait till I sit in one to pass judgement.
Not really, you're watching too much YouTube. The actual younger generation still buys cheap cars. And you're seeing more BMW and Mercedes because now they make cheaper models that they never did in the past. Certainly you remember what life was like before a thing called the C Class, right?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:22 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
63 Falcon vert
For safety, control and situation awareness, I keep my eyes on the road ahead. Changing settings on the road using memorized knobs and buttons does not compromise mine or others safety. Force a driver to take his eyes off the road for a setting change on a glass panel.....I pass.

I'm sure there is a happy medium, but chasing sales revenue matters most and I get it.
The following users liked this post:
KellyP (11-06-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Donnymac
For safety, control and situation awareness, I keep my eyes on the road ahead. Changing settings on the road using memorized knobs and buttons does not compromise mine or others safety. Force a driver to take his eyes off the road for a setting change on a glass panel.....I pass.

I'm sure there is a happy medium, but chasing sales revenue matters most and I get it.

The whole thing reminds me of discussions when the first iPhone came out. There were so many fervent supporters of buttons on a cell phone. People swore they never move away from their Blackberries
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
emilner (01-11-2021), UrBusted (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:22 AM

2020 S560 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The whole thing reminds me of discussions when the first iPhone came out. There were so many fervent supporters of buttons on a cell phone. People swore they never move away from their Blackberries
The problem with your argument is that the buttons did not go away. They were converted into capacitive touch "pretend" buttons that offer no improvement over hard buttons. They make everything about using them worse. Or can you provide an argument for how the capacitive buttons are better?
Donnymac (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,713 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Speednet
Not really, you're watching too much YouTube. The actual younger generation still buys cheap cars. And you're seeing more BMW and Mercedes because now they make cheaper models that they never did in the past. Certainly you remember what life was like before a thing called the C Class, right?
There are plenty of younger people who buy expensive luxury cars
Old 01-11-2021, 09:27 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by SW20S
There are plenty of younger people who buy expensive luxury cars
The ones not living within their means you mean? For appearances only LOL!! We are a society of facebook in that I mean, 'may your life be a great as you pretend it is on fakebook'
Old 01-11-2021, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by hyperion667
The ones not living within their means you mean? For appearances only LOL!! We are a society of facebook in that I mean, 'may your life be a great as you pretend it is on fakebook'
It depends on what your definition of "younger" is, when most people say "younger" they're talking about millennials. Plenty of high earning millennials
Old 01-11-2021, 09:56 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
It depends on what your definition of "younger" is, when most people say "younger" they're talking about millennials. Plenty of high earning millennials
I may have to google millennials haha. You always hear and read about 'them' though. I was born in '75........1975 that is I am now considered old; how did this happen?!
Old 01-11-2021, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
What you find is that as millennials get older, their buying behavior looks a lot more like older generations.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
I may have to google millennials haha. You always hear and read about 'them' though. I was born in '75........1975 that is I am now considered old; how did this happen?!
I'm a '76er myself and I swear all of a sudden the word old is creeping more and more into my life. Maybe it's the pandemic- I've felt old for a bit now (I have not been kind to my body!) but only recently has my mentality more closely aligned with old lol. A great day is one where I get to spend extra time on the couch...
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by emilner
I'm a '76er myself and I swear all of a sudden the word old is creeping more and more into my life. Maybe it's the pandemic- I've felt old for a bit now (I have not been kind to my body!) but only recently has my mentality more closely aligned with old lol. A great day is one where I get to spend extra time on the couch...
That's a bit sad honestly...haha. I was born in 73 and I don't feel at all old. Perhaps it's because I never wore myself out with trying to raise children. We are what's known as Generation X (1965-1980) and the Millennials are the generation that came after us. Gen X grew up with technology entering our lives. We still learned how to do things the old fashioned way, but over time adopted technology as a tool. The Millennials on the other hand grew up with technology in the first place. I agree with some of the things said in this thread that to some extent things are done for the sake of change, but don't necessarily improve the experience. I still think touchscreens are a bad idea in cars, but they are getting better in terms of ergonomics. I don't see the fuss about the new S Class. Maybe I'm thinking more like a Millennial, because I am in technology, but then again, one of my business partners is age 65 and still codes and keeps up with modern technology. He drives a Tesla and has no issues with the touchscreen. "Old" is a state of mind, mind over body and all, but yes eventually our biology gives in, so there isn't much we can do about physical aging other than regular exercise to keep our bodies as young as possible.
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by superswiss
That's a bit sad honestly...haha. I was born in 73 and I don't feel at all old. Perhaps it's because I never wore myself out with trying to raise children. We are what's known as Generation X (1965-1980) and the Millennials are the generation that came after us. Gen X grew up with technology entering our lives. We still learned how to do things the old fashioned way, but over time adopted technology as a tool. The Millennials on the other hand grew up with technology in the first place. I agree with some of the things said in this thread that to some extent things are done for the sake of change, but don't necessarily improve the experience. I still think touchscreens are a bad idea in cars, but they are getting better in terms of ergonomics. I don't see the fuss about the new S Class. Maybe I'm thinking more like a Millennial, because I am in technology, but then again, one of my business partners is age 65 and still codes and keeps up with modern technology. He drives a Tesla and has no issues with the touchscreen. "Old" is a state of mind, mind over body and all, but yes eventually our biology gives in, so there isn't much we can do about physical aging other than regular exercise to keep our bodies as young as possible.
It's a lighthearted internet forum post, not a manifesto...
Old 01-11-2021, 02:10 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I don't spend much time on the couch, BUT I have been going to bed sooner than I used too! I do have kids too Three of 'em and have been raising them as my full time job! And yes, the pandamnit does NOT help to motivate me.
I am recovering from lung cancer plus surgery and that is part of my problem.....feeling old in a sense...been walking miles per day and do feel 100 times better after quitting the cigarettes too! I never did really take to tech in the sense that I still don't have a cell phone, participate in SM, unless you count the MB forums and don't spend a lot of time on my computer. I was recently talking with a friend about how we've been half in,half out when it comes to computer/internet usage over our lifetime......I was never into video games, although I do play some with my kids, on borrowed systems from 'said friend'.
I spent all of my formative years out in the streets with my friends on our skateboards. Not only that but also grew up playing music and playing in bands which was always much better than the whole gaming/technology scene. I am honestly not interested in touch screen cars but will probably end up in one in the near future And yes I have three children!
Old 01-11-2021, 02:16 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
What you find is that as millennials get older, their buying behavior looks a lot more like older generations.
That 'may' be from figuring out the value of their dollar.....in a sense
Old 01-11-2021, 02:19 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 S560 4matic Sedan. Official member of the 18" RIM CREW.
Hyperion, wishing you the very best of health and a smooth recovery!!
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
It's a lighthearted internet forum post, not a manifesto...
Didn't think it was. The real funny thing is that growing up in the old country I was never much interested in Mercedes-Benz. MB long had a reputation as being the cars for retired people and where I'm from E and S Classes are the yellow cabs, literally, the cab fleets are mostly high end MB cars, so they were never particularly aspirational. They eventually changed their image and rejuvenated the brand and they are going through a similar transition now. They are investing billions into digitalization to stay with the times.

I am recovering from lung cancer plus surgery and that is part of my problem.....feeling old in a sense...been walking miles per day and do feel 100 times better after quitting the cigarettes too! I never did really take to tech in the sense that I still don't have a cell phone, participate in SM, unless you count the MB forums and don't spend a lot of time on my computer. I was recently talking with a friend about how we've been half in,half out when it comes to computer/internet usage over our lifetime......I was never into video games, although I do play some with my kids, on borrowed systems from 'said friend'.
I spent all of my formative years out in the streets with my friends on our skateboards. Not only that but also grew up playing music and playing in bands which was always much better than the whole gaming/technology scene. I am honestly not interested in touch screen cars but will probably end up in one in the near future And yes I have three children!
Sorry to hear that. All the best for your health.
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,454 Likes on 960 Posts
No more MB:(
I don't spend much time on the couch, BUT I have been going to bed sooner than I used too! I do have kids too Three of 'em and have been raising them as my full time job! And yes, the pandamnit does NOT help to motivate me.

Hyper, had no idea. Wishing you all the best in the recovery. Sounds like you're on the way, keep up the healthy stuff!
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by places
Hyper, had no idea. Wishing you all the best in the recovery. Sounds like you're on the way, keep up the healthy stuff!
Same here! Wishing you the best and a quick recovery!
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:31 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by PatentLawyer
Hyperion, wishing you the very best of health and a smooth recovery!!
Didn't think it was. The real funny thing is that growing up in the old country I was never much interested in Mercedes-Benz. MB long had a reputation as being the cars for retired people and where I'm from E and S Classes are the yellow cabs, literally, the cab fleets are mostly high end MB cars, so they were never particularly aspirational. They eventually changed their image and rejuvenated the brand and they are going through a similar transition now. They are investing billions into digitalization to stay with the times.

Sorry to hear that. All the best for your health.
Originally Posted by places
VERY kind of you gents! I only shared that to support my 'I'm getting old' sentiment. In reality: I gave the cancer to MYSELF by smoking for many years! I haven't had a pity party for myself
because I earned it.......STILL......very kind of you guys to wish me luck.....FWIW, smoking was my only vice, never been into drinking or drugs, or even over eating! I'll never know what it was about the cigarettes either.........I just really enjoyed having a smoke!

Respect guys!
The following 4 users liked this post by hyperion667:
PatentLawyer (01-11-2021), places (01-11-2021), UrBusted (01-12-2021), Wolfman (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:33 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Same here! Wishing you the best and a quick recovery!
Thanks you kindly wolfman
Old 01-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Speednet
The problem with your argument is that the buttons did not go away. They were converted into capacitive touch "pretend" buttons that offer no improvement over hard buttons. They make everything about using them worse. Or can you provide an argument for how the capacitive buttons are better?
No problem with my argument at all. We are talking primarily about screen vs buttons. If you talk about the steering wheel & seat buttons becoming capacitive I have no opinion thus far and neither can you, given that neither of us have tried them. We'll just have to see.
I personally like the tactile experience of a physical button but a capacitive button will be more reliable over time. I am personally not bothered by the capacitive buttons we have on our steering wheels already (2 trackpads).
Old 01-11-2021, 06:08 PM

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
I was born in '75........1975 that is I am now considered old; how did this happen?!
Hyper, I was born in 1939 and I don't consider myself "old."
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
VERY kind of you gents! I only shared that to support my 'I'm getting old' sentiment. In reality: I gave the cancer to MYSELF by smoking for many years! I haven't had a pity party for myself
because I earned it.......STILL......very kind of you guys to wish me luck.....FWIW, smoking was my only vice, never been into drinking or drugs, or even over eating! I'll never know what it was about the cigarettes either.........I just really enjoyed having a smoke!

Respect guys!
All the best for a quick recovery!
hyperion667 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 06:21 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by as.thompson
Hyper, I was born in 1939 and I don't consider myself "old."
I certainly understand.....I don't feel old mentally though
All the best for a quick recovery!
The surgery was last year in mid November, but I'm still lagging and have numb ribs from the lobectomy incision!

THANK YOU kindly!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did MB so obviously ruin the new S Class? After watching this review, NEVER!