MB apps and internet no longer available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Unhappy MB apps and internet no longer available

Perhaps this has been discussed before and I missed it, but I've found out that it is no longer possible for any MB cars to connect to the internet to give access to the car's built-in apps, HD radio, or any of the other over-the-air WIFI functions that the cars used to have available. Yesterday I contacted mbrace to find out about getting these to work and they told me that MB shut down the internet connection early last year (supposedly had something to do with Microsoft) and that it is no longer possible to use these items. Sure, you can still use your phone to connect to WIFI in the car, but the WIFI is now going to a dead source.

I asked them about being able to use the car as a mobile hotspot. They said they recently changed from ATT to T-Mobile for the mobile hotspot, for which a 1 gig subscription is $15 per month and unlimited is $25/mo. But that is only good for people to hook their devices to the car for internet service if their device somehow doesn't have that available. It cannot be used as a source for the WIFI connection since that ran on its own separate now dead source.

It would be nice if the built-in WIFI in the car was a 2-way communication source since we'd then be able to use our phones as a mobile hotspot to share data availability with the car. Unfortunately the MB WIFI only communicates one way, which is now into an abyss.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:27 AM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Perhaps this has been discussed before and I missed it, but I've found out that it is no longer possible for any MB cars to connect to the internet to give access to the car's built-in apps, HD radio, or any of the other over-the-air WIFI functions that the cars used to have available. Yesterday I contacted mbrace to find out about getting these to work and they told me that MB shut down the internet connection early last year (supposedly had something to do with Microsoft) and that it is no longer possible to use these items. Sure, you can still use your phone to connect to WIFI in the car, but the WIFI is now going to a dead source.

I asked them about being able to use the car as a mobile hotspot. They said they recently changed from ATT to T-Mobile for the mobile hotspot, for which a 1 gig subscription is $15 per month and unlimited is $25/mo. But that is only good for people to hook their devices to the car for internet service if their device somehow doesn't have that available. It cannot be used as a source for the WIFI connection since that ran on its own separate now dead source.

It would be nice if the built-in WIFI in the car was a 2-way communication source since we'd then be able to use our phones as a mobile hotspot to share data availability with the car. Unfortunately the MB WIFI only communicates one way, which is now into an abyss.
Are these for model specific cars? My phone connects the the cars WIFI when I get into the car.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Phillyfinest
Are these for model specific cars? My phone connects the the cars WIFI when I get into the car.
Do you mean bluetooth? Because if you connect to the car's WIFI (unless it's the mobile hotspot), then your phone won't have any internet service.

Try logging onto any of the MB built-in apps and let me know how that goes.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:55 AM

2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
Do you mean bluetooth? Because if you connect to the car's WIFI (unless it's the mobile hotspot), then your phone won't have any internet service.

Try logging onto any of the MB built-in apps and let me know how that goes.
its the WiFi hotspot. I will try the apps and advise. I only use the internet radio in the car, like Tune In and I heart radio.

inwill try the apps and see.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Perhaps this has been discussed before and I missed it, but I've found out that it is no longer possible for any MB cars to connect to the internet to give access to the car's built-in apps, HD radio, or any of the other over-the-air WIFI functions that the cars used to have available.
I haven't used Wi Fi hot spot but my HD radio still works fine.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
FWIW, mBrace is effectively end of life. MB replaced it with a new online platform called Mercedes me connect for 2019+ models. New website, new phone app (has already received a major update and we are the second version now) and new services such as OTA software and map updates. It's been reported earlier that mBrace customers have found they can no longer renew the live traffic subscription, because TomTom has terminated the relationship. The newer models are now using HERE Traffic.

Last I heard is that they are exploring what to do with the existing mBrace cars. There might eventually be an update to get them migrated to Mercedes me connect.

Using your phone's mobile hotspot to provide data service to the car is unfortunately a sore point in the USA. Our wireless market is controlled by the carriers and is anything but consumer friendly. It's riddled with exclusive agreements and the carriers dictating what is and is not allowed. That's what you get if the market isn't regulated. In Europe you can use your phone's hotspot for this or chose your own carrier for the Internet access in the car, because the market is regulated and choice is given to the customers. In the USA we are stuck with the Hermes communication module and the carrier that MB has an agreement with. Usiing your phone's hotspot is disabled in US cars.
The following users liked this post:
DaveW68 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by superswiss
FWIW, mBrace is effectively end of life. MB replaced it with a new online platform called Mercedes me connect for 2019+ models. New website, new phone app (has already received a major update and we are the second version now) and new services such as OTA software and map updates. It's been reported earlier that mBrace customers have found they can no longer renew the live traffic subscription, because TomTom has terminated the relationship. The newer models are now using HERE Traffic.

Last I heard is that they are exploring what to do with the existing mBrace cars. There might eventually be an update to get them migrated to Mercedes me connect.

Using your phone's mobile hotspot to provide data service to the car is unfortunately a sore point in the USA. Our wireless market is controlled by the carriers and is anything but consumer friendly. It's riddled with exclusive agreements and the carriers dictating what is and is not allowed. That's what you get if the market isn't regulated. In Europe you can use your phone's hotspot for this or chose your own carrier for the Internet access in the car, because the market is regulated and choice is given to the customers. In the USA we are stuck with the Hermes communication module and the carrier that MB has an agreement with. Using your phone's hotspot is disabled in US cars.
I do have the latest version of the Mercedes ME app. On my car, it's really only good for locking and unlocking the doors, locating the vehicle, and also sending addresses to the nav system. Otherwise, it's totally worthless and not worth anywhere near the $280/year they want after the 3 month trial ends.

Any idea if there is some sort of workaround for using your phone's mobile hotspot to send data to the car or if that feature can be turned on via STAR?
Quenthel (01-31-2022)
Old 05-18-2021, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
I do have the latest version of the Mercedes ME app. On my car, it's really only good for locking and unlocking the doors, locating the vehicle, and also sending addresses to the nav system. Otherwise, it's totally worthless and not worth anywhere near the $280/year they want after the 3 month trial ends.

Any idea if there is some sort of workaround for using your phone's mobile hotspot to send data to the car or if that feature can be turned on via STAR?
Actually your Mercedes me app is very old technically. It's version 1. Below is a screenshot of what the latest app looks like. Already a bit dated as new services have been added in the meantime. The new app is also called Mercedes me connect and no longer just Mercedes me, but the new app does not work with the older cars.

To my knowledge there is no workaround to use your phone's hotspot.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:39 PM

its the WiFi hotspot. I will try the apps and advise. I only use the internet radio in the car, like Tune In and I heart radio.

inwill try the apps and see.
Went into the MB apps. All that was there was Iheart radio, tune in, POI, traffic cameras, local weather, and internet browser. I have used all of them except the browser. Never tried it…..
Old 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Went into the MB apps. All that was there was Iheart radio, tune in, POI, traffic cameras, local weather, and internet browser. I have used all of them except the browser. Never tried it…..
The Internet Browser was deleted early 2020 (without any announcement, just gone). You can see it is still there, but disable (and it goes to a proxy in Stuttgart, at least here in EU, and that proxy is down, so it will not work).

Unbelievable how the online and nav functions of my pre-facelift A217 were much better then in the new one....... (bluetooth tethering: gone, web browsing: gone, more then 2 nav route options: gone, TuneIN app: more buggy, etc).

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 05-31-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 4matic
I'm having the same issue with mine. I can't get connected to anything, including any of the apps, internet radio, internet browser, etc. It just goes into this loop saying "Establishing Internet Connection...." and it stays there until it times out. I had contacted MBrace and they said that the apps are still active and should still work, but MB has shut down the internet browser permanently. The car is supposed to connect to the apps through the Verizon network, of which I have very strong coverage in my area, but nada. They want me to go to my local dealership and see if there is some sort of programming update for my car, but is it really worth spending $190/hour in labor just to see if a possible software update would get my car to connect to the network? Is there anything of any value in any of those apps or internet radio?

My main reason for wanting to get this working was to see if it is possible to enable screen mirroring on my car without purchasing a 3rd party device by following the steps laid out it this video. Perhaps some of you guys with working internet radio and Android phones can try this and see if it works?

Old 01-31-2022, 05:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S213
Cool

It is possible to code so that you can share your phones internet with the cars comand.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Like superswiss indicated, the US W222 models use different hardware that can't access mobile phone service for in-car services. There is no SIM card slot. The W223 S-Class is the first car is the first MB in the US with a SIM card for data but I believe even that is not enabled right now.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 S450 4Matic
My dealership at Mercedes-Benz of Burlington was able perform a software update to enable Hermes communication module to switch from AT&T to T-mobile after 2 days of back and forth with MB engineers. Live Traffic and other internet required services are now online and working.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr_Sheen:
Diesel Benz (02-01-2022), MB221 (02-03-2022), Robb92914 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W222 400D 4-matic
Originally Posted by Mr_Sheen
My dealership at Mercedes-Benz of Burlington was able perform a software update to enable Hermes communication module to switch from AT&T to T-mobile after 2 days of back and forth with MB engineers. Live Traffic and other internet required services are now online and working.
Do you have any details how they managed that?
Old 02-04-2022, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Cars
Originally Posted by Mr_Sheen
what year is your car? How much did it cost to do the update and how long did it take them?
Old 02-04-2022, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by 2014CL600
what year is your car? How much did it cost to do the update and how long did it take them?
It's a 2019 S450. The dealership performed the software update under existing warranty. No charge. It took them 2 days because they needed engineers in Germany to unlock Hermes comm module once it's reset and updated.
Initially they told me that MB engineers in Germany could not reset module, but when I picked up the car, Mercedes me Connect was in fact online and active. Live Traffic and other MB Apps were working perfectly.

Last edited by Mr_Sheen; 02-04-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
On my S63, I just wanted the hotspot and also paid the 280.00 per year for the Embrace subscription but they say my WiFi is connected and getting a signal but it won’t connect and send a signal to my phone. Yes, it is Verizon but what I’m wondering is, when Dec 2022 roles around will it all stop working? I’m sure the hotspot will end but I’m wondering will my Embrace system just stop working as well???? A friend took in his 2015 Lincoln to the dealership and they changed his 3G module out and converted it to a 4G for free. I wonder if Mercedes will be as honorable, any thoughts or news on this?

Last edited by 2014CL600; 02-26-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes Benz E350, 2007 Toyota Tundra, 2007 Honda CBR 1000 RR, 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Anyone else have any more information or updates on this? I'm potentially looking at 2018 / 2019 MY S-Class cars - and this could be a big factor in which one I choose...
Old 02-22-2022, 07:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 S560; 2019 Range Rover Supercharged; 1985 European model 280SL, Navigator Black Label, Lexus LX
I’m tagging along too as I’m currently in market and thought all the tech was the same from My18 on but apparently not
Old 02-25-2022, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 522 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
My 2019 E450 wagon uses ATT and works fine with everything although the ATT Data services are kinda expensive @250 dollars per year.t

I just did this post in another thread about mercedes me with my 2018 S class vs my 2019 E class MB connect. https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-thoughts.html

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 02-25-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars

I wanted the same thing as you. MB said the signal was good but it won’t connect to my phone, it says, “weak security” and then has goes to a “! not connected” over the internet bars , on my phone. I had an extra iPhone that I got a SIM card for and I keep it in my center console plugged in at all times. I have a 5G monthly plan on it for $15 a month and use it to cast a hotspot to my phone, so I can watch TV, movies, Netflix and watch YouTube videos through my Apple Car play unit. Works great but honestly, I’d rather go just through the car. I’m hoping that I can keep my MBrace working after Verizon turns off the 3G in Dec 2022. Does anyone have a update?
Old 01-21-2024, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 S560 4matic
Originally Posted by theJoke
It is possible to code so that you can share your phones internet with the cars comand.

how can you do that please share?
Nice Ride (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Jac0bkaan
how can you do that please share?
benz ninja, can you do this?