W222 "Must Have" options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 BMW M3
W222 "Must Have" options

Hi All,

I am interested in getting a W222 and am looking into what options packages were available so I can get a car with some nice options.

The few im aware of:
Burmester 3D Audio
Rear seat climate controls
Rear seat screens/monitors
4 seat configuration/"executive" rear seating (seems super hard to find but I am trying so hard to find them)
Seems like diamond stitching on seats/dash is an add-on package as well

Does anyone have a list of all available options/packages on these cars? Or any recommendaitions for "must haves"
Old 11-19-2022, 09:39 PM

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by chris01
Hi All, I am interested in getting a W222 and am looking into what options packages were available so I can get a car with some nice options. The few im aware of:Burmester 3D AudioRear seat climate controlsRear seat screens/monitors4 seat configuration/"executive" rear seating (seems super hard to find but I am trying so hard to find them)Seems like diamond stitching on seats/dash is an add-on package as well Does anyone have a list of all available options/packages on these cars? Or any recommendations for "must haves"
Get all of those you listed lol. I was stuck on the 3d, executive rear seat package with entertainment, magic sky, magic body, and the exclusive nappa (diamond). Took me 6 months to find and ended up not getting the exclusive nappa. I heard the dash starts to get damaged by the sun bc its all leather. Take your time if your not in a rush it will eventually pop up. I am in FL and bought mine from CA so look statewide. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Robb92914:
chris01 (11-20-2022), declo2000 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
Besides those cool features, 360 camera. You may also need a refrigetator but I don't classify this item as must have option list
Old 11-20-2022, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 334 Likes on 248 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
My thoughts:

One way to get a high spec car is to look for an S600 as many of these features were standard.

To add to others' comments above:

Surround View Camera ... essential for close maneuvering
Heads-up Display ... only way I can tell how fast I'm going b/c the steering wheel blocks the top half of the speedometer
Warmth and Comfort ... adds rapid heating to armrests and steering wheel, wonderful on chilly days
AMG Styling ... specific bumper covers, side skirts and AMG wheels
Additional Trim ... wood trim for lower part of the doors, rear A/C vents and front seat backs

Two other things to consider ... rear A/C takes up most of the center console and some people would rather have that storage space. Refrigerator takes up a lot of trunk space, same issue
The following users liked this post:
brl12 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 351 Likes on 214 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
For me...

Premium Package
360 Camera
Distronic Plus
Sport Package
DO NOT go for the 20" wheels (19" max)

Can't really comment on the things I don't have.

Last edited by cfmistry; 11-20-2022 at 08:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cfmistry:
badq45t (11-21-2022), declo2000 (11-23-2022), will_atl (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 09:51 AM

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2020 S450 4Matic, 2022 GLS450 4Matic, 2015 C300
Originally Posted by cfmistry
For me...

Premium Package
360 Camera
Distronic Plus
Sport Package
DO NOT go for the 20" wheels (19" max)

Can't really commend on the things I don't have.
I don’t have the sport package, so I’m not sure what it adds, but I agree with all of your list. I have 20” wheels, they look great, but coupled with RF tires, I think that 19s would ride better.
I have a 450, so only have entry level leather, the 560 gets Nappa leather as standard, and it did feel nicer while test driving.
I did look at a 560 with the executive rear seat package, but decided that as I am in the car on my own 90% of the time, the kids can deal the the indignity of sitting in the back of an S Class without that package!
declo2000 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:02 PM

2011 BMW M3
Wow great input everyone, thanks so much! The above comment mentioning the S600, they are awesome cars but I'd prefer not to have the V12 just for reliability's sake, and the absurd MPG of anything with more than 8 cylinders lol. Reliability is really my main squeeze though, and I know the 4.7 V8 is pretty well regarded. So I have to stick with an S550 probably between 2014-2016. I will keep an eye out for all the options mentioned here. I also agree with the one comment saying to stick with 19s - the roads by me are awful I definitely don't intend to do big wheels or anything beyond the standard wheels it comes with.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550

Here are the goodies i have in my car. The ones i like the most are the nightvision, hud heated/cooled seats, & drive assist. Kids LOVE the rear executive and comfort packages.
chris01 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 12:32 AM

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic, 2014 ML550
Hi All, I am interested in getting a W222 and am looking into what options packages were available so I can get a car with some nice options.
Does anyone have a list of all available options/packages on these cars? Or any recommendaitions for "must haves"
This might be fun to look at:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY15_S_DOG_Mar262014.pdf (893.5 KB, 146 views)
roviw1 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 11:08 PM

2011 BMW M3
@Danielsan wow that is a nice options list! That is a high sticker price from what I've seen for an S550!

@C Swenson ty for the pdf!
Danielsan (07-06-2023)
Old 11-22-2022, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
@Danielsan wow that is a nice options list! That is a high sticker price from what I've seen for an S550!

@C Swenson ty for the pdf!
thx dude. I got lucky. Took a good while to find one like this.
chris01 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 12:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none yet
As @C-Swenson's PDF shows, you start by looking at the packages, which is how lots of options got added, then look at the additional options. In particular regarding the rear seats, note that the Warmth and Comfort package gets you the powered/heated/memory rear seats, which is really all the passengers should want (unless they really need tray tables and screens that are less useful than modern iPads?).

When I was looking, here's what I wanted:
Premium 1 Package (didn't all the US cars came with that one?)
Sport Package (looks nice, deletes some chrome trim, AMG wheels)
Driver Assistance Package (yes, you want Disctronic+ for long drives)
Warmth and Comfort Package (gets you powered/heated/memory rear seats)

Plus:
Burmester 3D Surround
Surround View Camera (useful for parking this giant car!)

Mine has all those (see PDF), plus a few others that I'd have skipped if I were buying new. It's hard to find cars with the right paint color (white!) and the right mix of options. :-)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2015SclassOptionsSticker.pdf (6.4 KB, 40 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by flohmann1:
chris01 (11-25-2022), Danielsan (07-06-2023)
Old 11-26-2022, 04:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes S550
We really lucked out last year, and found a 2015 S550, low mileage, black on black, loaded. Came with 19" wheels, I put on new Michelin SS NRF tires, with a trunk kit for flats. My priority was Magic Body Control (ABC), so that was the main item on my list, except the color was a #1 as well. I looked for almost 2 years, before I found this one. It came from Florida, which was a plus. It has Sport Package, Exclusive Nappa (diamond)(Looks great, btw), Distronic Plus with steering assist, Night View Assist Plus, Head Up Display, Rear Seat Package (not Executive, I believe, but footrest for the right seat), Rear and back Window shades, Warmth and Comfort Package, Surround View Camera, Headliner upgrade. I think that that is all. I am planning to put a kit in for using ApplePlay, which I bought from Joyeauto Technology.
Had Benz Ninja do a few mods, and his ILS+ headlight system is KILLER !!!
Man, is it loaded. Only problem, if anything malfunctions, my dealer is always starting at 4 figures to fix it.
The Magic Body Control is a dream.
This car amazes me, every time that I drive it.
C Swenson (11-26-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 502 Likes on 375 Posts
222 S-65
OP Get yourself an S65 with Carbon ceramic brakes. No brake dust and no wear!

Soooo much more to life then good gas mileage!

My Designo car has the refrigerator that seemingly takes up 30% of the trunk but is removed in five minutes.
Danielsan (07-06-2023)
Old 11-28-2022, 12:18 PM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
I would say if your getting 4matic the must have options are
-Premium package
-Sports package with AMG styling
-Drivers assistance package
-Nappa Leather (at the very minimum a DEFINITE MUST the difference in seating/feel is huge vs standard leather)
-360 Camera
-20" Wheels
-Magic Body Control (would be a MUST but unfortunately not available for 4matic)

These options/package are nice but not needed
-3D Surround Sound System
-Warmth/Comfort Package
-Executive Seating Package

Last edited by simandang; 11-28-2022 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by simandang:
BenzV12 (11-29-2022), chris01 (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 01:04 PM

2011 BMW M3
Lol, I would love a 63 and especially a 65. I rented a 63 recently and it was a blast. We'll see what happens, if a nice 65 came along for a deal I'd probably go for it. @JohnLane
Old 12-01-2022, 01:59 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Originally Posted by simandang
I would say if your getting 4matic the must have options are
-Premium package
-Sports package with AMG styling
-Drivers assistance package
-Nappa Leather (at the very minimum a DEFINITE MUST the difference in seating/feel is huge vs standard leather)
-360 Camera
-20" Wheels
-Magic Body Control (would be a MUST but unfortunately not available for 4matic)

These options/package are nice but not needed
-3D Surround Sound System
-Warmth/Comfort Package
-Executive Seating Package
Agree on the 1st level Premium Package, Nappa, Distronic Plus and the 360 camera. The rest? It's a toss really.

Many people hate 20" wheels and I only tolerate the added noise and discomfort because my winter 18" look too small.
MBC can be a host of (expensive) problems which not everyone would be willing to get into (or sacrifice for the safer AWD). It's impressive, but personally, the rougher AWD wins.
Sports package for me is... eh. I wouldn't complain if I had it, but I believe it should belong only on the AMG cars. Little differences otherwise.
I don't think Burmester 3D is worth the money. I mean, it's obviously going to sound better than the stock one, but 6K for the option? It's no surprise it's a rare option.
Heated seats are so nice. I wish I had the heated steering wheel though; if you drive in the winter, it makes a difference.

What *is* a must-have for me, is the heads-up display. It helps not having to shift one's focus when driving (especially in places like Switzerland).
What has been surprisingly nice (but definitely not justifying is cost) is the magic sky control. The blue tint is exactly as translucent as it must be to both make the cabin appear lighter & less cramped and at the same time block the sun well enough to not become a bother in the summer.

I think I hate the 4-seat arrangement, makes the car way less practical (but since you cannot fold the rear seats, it doesn't really matter). The rear displays however are a complete waste of money. Cumbersome UI and none of my friends ever managed to use them properly; an add-on tablet that supports Bluetooth would be 10 times better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quenthel:
aypues (12-01-2022), BenzV12 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 502 Likes on 375 Posts
222 S-65
I hate the 20” wheels but they are required for the monster size Carbon Ceramic brakes. First world problems.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:25 PM

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by Quenthel
Agree on the 1st level Premium Package, Nappa, Distronic Plus and the 360 camera. The rest? It's a toss really. Many people hate 20" wheels and I only tolerate the added noise and discomfort because my winter 18" look too small.MBC can be a host of (expensive) problems which not everyone would be willing to get into (or sacrifice for the safer AWD). It's impressive, but personally, the rougher AWD wins.Sports package for me is... eh. I wouldn't complain if I had it, but I believe it should belong only on the AMG cars. Little differences otherwise.I don't think Burmester 3D is worth the money. I mean, it's obviously going to sound better than the stock one, but 6K for the option? It's no surprise it's a rare option.Heated seats are so nice. I wish I had the heated steering wheel though; if you drive in the winter, it makes a difference. What *is* a must-have for me, is the heads-up display. It helps not having to shift one's focus when driving (especially in places like Switzerland).What has been surprisingly nice (but definitely not justifying is cost) is the magic sky control. The blue tint is exactly as translucent as it must be to both make the cabin appear lighter & less cramped and at the same time block the sun well enough to not become a bother in the summer. I think I hate the 4-seat arrangement, makes the car way less practical (but since you cannot fold the rear seats, it doesn't really matter). The rear displays however are a complete waste of money. Cumbersome UI and none of my friends ever managed to use them properly; an add-on tablet that supports Bluetooth would be 10 times better.
Lol I didnt think they would get much use but my kids use the rear displays all the time. They watch movies on a USB drive or hotspot and watch YouTube or Netflix
Old 12-03-2022, 05:19 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Originally Posted by Robb92914
Lol I didnt think they would get much use but my kids use the rear displays all the time. They watch movies on a USB drive or hotspot and watch YouTube or Netflix
I don't have children, but the one time I had a friend in the car with his son, it was the only time I actually used the rear screens as intended. Had some kid movies along with some others in a USB stick in the rear console, permanently plugged in. Oh, right, one other time, I was driving with two friends while the Eurobasket tournament was going on, and the person sitting in the rear seat did use the TV tuner to watch the match live. The tuner was unreliable, but he managed to watch about 70% of it.

I've added a Fire TV Stick, but operating it is so cumbersome, that none of my guests really bother with it. First, I need to turn on my phone's hotspot; whilst I COULD use the car's 4G connection, it's stupidly expensive (something like USD 25 for 2GB). Then, whoever sits in the rear needs to change the input device plus change to the full screen mode, which is much less intuitive to someone not used to the sluggish COMAND interface; especially if you have one remote and you have to drive whilst explaining to them they need to change which screen the remote points to. Finally, and assuming there's reliable 4G (and no unexpected firmware updates for the firestick), one needs to use the other remote.

Contrast this to a tablet that a) has a touchscreen, b) probably supports streaming by other devices, c) can have its own networking, d) can connect to any BT or even wired headset, unlike MB's. To be fair, this was probably amazing technology 10 years ago, but if I could save some money and get the car without the screens, I'd do it without thinking twice.