S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

D&@n you Mercedes and your stupid plastic rear license plate bracket.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,556 Likes on 1,653 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
D&@n you Mercedes and your stupid plastic rear license plate bracket.

So, I had to put my new plate sticker on. I have the MB plate frame with a clear plexiglas shield, so the frame has to come off to get the sticker on. Terrible cheap plastic bracket behind the rear plate. The nuts were all stripped out and I had no choice but to dremel the screw heads off to get the plate off. I ordered a metal replacement bracket like MB used to use, so cheap they replaced this with plastic. Total PITA to dremel it off, burned the **** out of one of my fingers. Destroyed the plate frame which I knew it would, ordered a new one of those.

Frame before:

The POS plastic bracket

You can see where the square nut just easily breaks out of the thin plastic cage its in, and then it spins and spins

How it should have come from the factory:

All the hardware that came with it worked great, plate finally doesnt rattle. If anybody wants to buy the same bracket here it is:

Amazon Amazon

The frame:

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
johnw5839 (05-14-2024)
Old 01-09-2023, 10:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,391 Likes on 2,039 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by SW20S
So, I had to put my new plate sticker on. I have the MB plate frame with a clear plexiglas shield, so the frame has to come off to get the sticker on. Terrible cheap plastic bracket behind the rear plate. The nuts were all stripped out and I had no choice but to dremel the screw heads off to get the plate off. I ordered a metal replacement bracket like MB used to use, so cheap they replaced this with plastic. Total PITA to dremel it off, burned the **** out of one of my fingers. Destroyed the plate frame which I knew it would, ordered a new one of those.

Frame before:

The POS plastic bracket

You can see where the square nut just easily breaks out of the thin plastic cage its in, and then it spins and spins

All the hardware that came with it worked great, plate finally doesnt rattle. If anybody wants to buy the same bracket here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XEEK1G...roduct_details

The frame:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P7NCJE...roduct_details
Now that chrome fits the S-Class much better imo, looks way better imo!
Old 01-09-2023, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Well it goes under the plate, so nobody will know but me but yeah, it should have come that way for sure.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 213 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I went through the same thing last year! Also used the metal bracket and haven’t looked back. No more rattle when I close the trunk.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Yeah it fits much tighter now
Old 05-14-2024, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
How’s the frame and bracket after more than a year?

Frame before:

The POS plastic bracket

The frame:

any signs of rust?
thanks!
Old 05-14-2024, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
MB
I agree it is a bad design with that square nut on a plastic frame. I knew it was weak so when I got my car, I immediately fortified the square nut in place with some epoxy. Definitely should not have to do that but it's holding up so far after 4yrs.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:09 AM

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes S560

Frame before:

The POS plastic bracket

The frame:

[QUOTE=SW20S;8700255]So, I had to put my new plate sticker on. I have the MB plate frame with a clear plexiglas shield, so the frame has to come off to get the sticker on. Terrible cheap plastic bracket behind the rear plate. The nuts were all stripped out and I had no choice but to dremel the screw heads off to get the plate off. I ordered a metal replacement bracket like MB used to use, so cheap they replaced this with plastic. Total PITA to dremel it off, burned the **** out of one of my fingers. Destroyed the plate frame which I knew it would, ordered a new one of those.]

Gee - and just because I didn't care about putting a shield over my license plate, I avoided all the frustration and bother. How dumb could I be?
Old 05-14-2024, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 952 Likes on 728 Posts
G550
"The best or nothing" -- guess which one you got.
The following 2 users liked this post by streborx:
PatPend (05-14-2024), SW20S (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
S63 AMG, GL63 AMG
Came here to post the same thing lol.

Last edited by PatPend; 05-14-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by johnw5839
any signs of rust?
thanks!
Working great, no issues. This is how it should have come from the factory.

Originally Posted by Lou B
Gee - and just because I didn't care about putting a shield over my license plate, I avoided all the frustration and bother. How dumb could I be?
But your car has an ugly unfinished looking plate on it. Life is about tradeoffs.

Seriously, you don't have to be rude and belittle people who do things differently than you. I like a nice license plate frame...your judgement isn't required.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-14-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:27 PM

Mercedes S560
Working great, no issues. This is how it should have come from the factory.

But your car has an ugly unfinished looking plate on it. Life is about tradeoffs.

Seriously, you don't have to be rude and belittle people who do things differently than you. I like a nice license plate frame...your judgement isn't required.
1. IT'S PLAIN YOU DON'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR, OR IT'S SEVERELY UNDEVELOPED. I'M SORRY YOU TOOK MY MSG AS YOU DID.
2. MY CAR HAS A LOVELY PERSONALIZED U S ARMY KOREAN VETERAN LICENSE PLATE, OF WHICH I AM VERY PROUD. IT LOOKS FINE AFTER A NUMBER OF YEARS WITH NO PROTECTIVE SHIELD, AND I CAN PUT THE NEW STICKER ON WITHOUT SCREWING AROUND WITH ANY FASTENERS, WHY YOU WOULD ASSUME IT'S UGLY AND/OR UNFINISHED IS BEYOND ME, OR, IS THAT YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR?
HAVE A LOVELY DAY!

Last edited by Lou B; 05-14-2024 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
1. IT'S PLAIN YOU DON'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR, OR IT'S SEVERELY UNDEVELOPED. I'M SORRY YOU TOOK MY MSG AS YOU DID.
2. MY CAR HAS A LOVELY PERSONALIZED U S ARMY KOREAN VETERAN LICENSE PLATE, OF WHICH I AM VERY PROUD. IT LOOKS FINE AFTER A NUMBER OF YEARS WITH NO PROTECTIVE SHIELD, AND I CAN PUT THE NEW STICKER ON WITHOUT SCREWING AROUND WITH ANY FASTENERS, WHY YOU WOULD ASSUME IT'S UGLY AND/OR UNFINISHED IS BEYOND ME, OR, IS THAT YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR?
HAVE A LOVELY DAY!
Did you know that the phrase “I was only joking” is usually an excuse for bad behavior?

The phrase “I was only joking” is usually an excuse for bad behavior because people usually use it as a cover for insults.

The Typical “I Was Only Joking” Pattern

Common usage of this phrase follows a pretty typical pattern:

Someone says something mean and insulting about someone else or about a whole group of people.

Then a person or a group of people gets upset about the comment.

The person who originally said the comment backpedals and says, “I was only joking.”

The implication of this statement is, “You shouldn’t be upset because I didn’t really mean what I was saying. I only meant it as a joke.”

An Analysis of “I was Only Joking”

I think that quite often when people say this common phrase, they use the phrase deceptively to smooth over behavior that they know is bad.

On other occasions, people may not have literally meant what they said in a bad way and, indeed, only meant it as a joke.

Either way, when people use this phrase after they have said something cruel, this excuse is never acceptable. It never legitimizes their behavior.

You weren't joking, you were being rude, then you doubled down and instead of just apologizing for being misunderstood you sought to insult me again. It takes more effort to post something rude than it does to just post nothing at all. You've lived a long time, you know that.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-14-2024 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 04:17 PM

Mercedes S560
Did you know that the phrase “I was only joking” is usually an excuse for bad behavior?

You weren't joking, you were being rude, then you doubled down and instead of just apologizing for being misunderstood you sought to insult me again. It takes more effort to post something rude than it does to just post nothing at all. You've lived a long time, you know that.
NOW, I'M GONNA BE BLUNT - STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE. OVER AND OUT.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Now now, I wAs OnLy JoKiNg lol

Last edited by SW20S; 05-14-2024 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:26 PM
SPONSOR

Received 233 Likes on 179 Posts
2001 E55AMG

Frame before:

The POS plastic bracket

The frame:

My '08 S550 has a plate like this from the factory... OEM back then? Plastic now? Come on Mercedes-Benz, you're supposed to be cutting corners on the "A"s and "C"s of the range, not the S!

Correction: It may have been my '01 E55 AMG

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 05-14-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
My '08 S550 has a plate like this from the factory... OEM back then? Plastic now? Come on Mercedes-Benz, you're supposed to be cutting corners on the "A"s and "C"s of the range, not the S!

Correction: It may have been my '01 E55 AMG
Yes, they used to be metal like the one I installed, they stopped doing that somewhere in the 2015 timeframe.

Next MB I get I will make that swap immediately.