Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 642 Likes on 481 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by Quenthel
Would it interfere with the cameras or the HUD? I have a wee little crack (like 1mm, not even close to serious) and I was considering applying a PPF to avoid worse cracks down the line.
I had it done in a BMW and it didn;t interfere with the cameras and HUD at all . My W212 lacked amenities of such systems so I can't speak for it but in my opinion it should have not cause any problems either
The following users liked this post:
Quenthel (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 04:43 PM

Received 210 Likes on 115 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
After doing a lot of research I have discovered that pretty much all windshield glass is made by 3 major companies, AP Technologies, Pilkington and PPG.
I was told that the only difference between the glass is the Mercedes sticker.
all other features work the same for aftermarket glass.
funny.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:56 PM
VII

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Yes Mercedes does not manufacture any glass it is all bought but there are a lot more suppliers than those listed. For vehicle models that are never assembled in North America the OE glass will likely not be available at safelite but rather an equivalent design glass.
An equivalent glass might not match in:
Tint color
IR reflecting coating
Built-in antennae
Electric heating
Camera cutouts
So special attention needs to be placed before agreeing to retain all original functionality.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,819 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by vinflouen
After doing a lot of research I have discovered that pretty much all windshield glass is made by 3 major companies, AP Technologies, Pilkington and PPG.
I was told that the only difference between the glass is the Mercedes sticker.
all other features work the same for aftermarket glass.
funny.
They say that, but its BS. Insurance companies tell you that to try and get you to accept aftermarket glass.

Yes there are only a few companies who make it, but its made by those companies to different specifications. Mercedes and other OEMs have very tight tolerances for what they will accept in terms of clarity, fit, tint, etc, and the glass manufacturer's tolerances are much looser for unbranded glass. It is also much harder to get the drive assist features that work through the windshield to work the same as they did before, and MB will not warranty the function of as an example, Distronic, if an aftermarket windshield is used.

I have had several unbranded replacement windshields over the years, and I have never had one that had the clarity, resistance to chipping and scratching, fit or tint that met the specs of the glass it replaced. Never one time. The only time I have ever had glass that truly was the same as what was replaced was when it was stamped with the OEM's logo.

Plus, a MB windshield is easily identifiable as OEM, and a buyer/dealer will deduct value for an aftermarket windshield. So, I would request a diminished value claim if the insurance company tries to force me to use a replacement windshield. When you press them, insurance companies always cave and give you OEM, why? because they know its not the same.

Last edited by SW20S; 02-09-2023 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:56 PM

Received 210 Likes on 115 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
Originally Posted by SW20S
They say that, but its BS. Insurance companies tell you that to try and get you to accept aftermarket glass.

Yes there are only a few companies who make it, but its made by those companies to different specifications. Mercedes and other OEMs have very tight tolerances for what they will accept in terms of clarity, fit, tint, etc, and the glass manufacturer's tolerances are much looser for unbranded glass. It is also much harder to get the drive assist features that work through the windshield to work the same as they did before, and MB will not warranty the function of as an example, Distronic, if an aftermarket windshield is used.

I have had several unbranded replacement windshields over the years, and I have never had one that had the clarity, resistance to chipping and scratching, fit or tint that met the specs of the glass it replaced. Never one time. The only time I have ever had glass that truly was the same as what was replaced was when it was stamped with the OEM's logo.

Plus, a MB windshield is easily identifiable as OEM, and a buyer/dealer will deduct value for an aftermarket windshield. So, I would request a diminished value claim if the insurance company tries to force me to use a replacement windshield. When you press them, insurance companies always cave and give you OEM, why? because they know its not the same.
As an insurance professional for the last 17 years, you are right, they always cave when pushed.
They wanted 750 for the oem windshield.
Denied the claim.
I made the claim agent verify that all functionality would be guaranteed under the replacement cost language of the policy.
long story short, they split it with me, so 300 and change for me.
As a rule, they will deny your oem windshield request if an aftermarket one is available.
The other thing is the pricing.
The insurance co says the windshield cost is 2700.
I can get it from any one of 6 mb dealers within 25 miles for 600 to 1200…..
This is why I love shaking underwriters down.
it’s pure profit.

The following users liked this post:
SW20S (02-09-2023)