Active steering assist not working on S560

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63
Active steering assist not working on S560

Hey guys.

I've got an issue with my 2018 Mercedes S560 Sedan.

As per the picture shown below, my active steering assist isnt working and i cant seem to understand why. In addition my active brake assist also has limited functionality.

I'd also like to point out that when reversing, sometimes the side mirror cameras arent working and are just showing all black on both the left and right sides of the 360 view. Not sure if that might be a reason of the above issues. Any idea why the cameras arent both working properly?

Any suggestions on what might be the issue before I take it to a garage? Thank you.

Last edited by baderocks2; 04-04-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 231 Posts
S600
Sounds electrical.

One night I turned off the HUD because it was too bright even on its dimmest setting.
I had to answer some stupid question for the system to turn it actually off.
I could not find out how to turn it back on.................
Then a couple of years later, it popped back on.

I suspect that a bit in FLASH memory got flipped.
I wonder what else got flipped............
Old 04-04-2023, 09:52 PM

Received 208 Likes on 161 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by baderocks2
Hey guys.

I've got an issue with my 2018 Mercedes S560 Sedan.

As per the picture shown below, my active steering assist isnt working and i cant seem to understand why. In addition my active brake assist also has limited functionality.

I'd also like to point out that when reversing, sometimes the side mirror cameras arent working and are just showing all black on both the left and right sides of the 360 view. Not sure if that might be a reason of the above issues. Any idea why the cameras arent both working properly?

Any suggestions on what might be the issue before I take it to a garage? Thank you.

Good Luck. On my 2021 AMG E63s Wagon Dealership finally got mine working again after a couple months. Put 3000-miles on brand new loaner GLC SUV...lol

After pretty much replacing my Steering Wheel, all internal modules, and wiring harness the trick was replacing all the external switches on the steering wheel.

Glad my car is still under warranty. Hopefully yours is a simple fix. @bishop64 is the S-Class Guru...

Edit:
Maybe simple fix is replacing batteries...

Last edited by Drone_S213; 04-04-2023 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:31 AM

G63
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Sounds electrical.

One night I turned off the HUD because it was too bright even on its dimmest setting.
I had to answer some stupid question for the system to turn it actually off.
I could not find out how to turn it back on.................
Then a couple of years later, it popped back on.

I suspect that a bit in FLASH memory got flipped.
I wonder what else got flipped............
Thanks i hope its just a simple electric job and not some major parts or sensors requiring to be swapped
Old 04-05-2023, 03:33 AM

G63
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
Good Luck. On my 2021 AMG E63s Wagon Dealership finally got mine working again after a couple months. Put 3000-miles on brand new loaner GLC SUV...lol

After pretty much replacing my Steering Wheel, all internal modules, and wiring harness the trick was replacing all the external switches on the steering wheel.

Glad my car is still under warranty. Hopefully yours is a simple fix. @bishop64 is the S-Class Guru...

Edit:
Maybe simple fix is replacing batteries...
That's really strange, what does the external switches have to do with the functionality of the active steering assist which isnt even on the steering wheel?

Also I doubt its the battery as I've just replaced it with a brand new Varta AGM 95 few days ago.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Best to have someone pull codes using Xentry (MB diagnostics). Attached bulletin concerning steering wheel switch panels note affected production range. Only DIY would be to check steering shaft boot per recall MBUSA released.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI46.10-P-067558_Ver_1.pdf (40.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf
2019040025.pdf (273.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:57 PM

G63
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Best to have someone pull codes using Xentry (MB diagnostics). Attached bulletin concerning steering wheel switch panels note affected production range. Only DIY would be to check steering shaft boot per recall MBUSA released.
Hey quick update, I went to a garage today where they used an AUTEL obd scanner which showed that there was a malfunction on both side cameras/radars, upon checking for the diagnosis we found out that it was supposedly due to a low power supply. I was told that my auxiliary battery isn't delivering enough power and hence we went ahead and swapped the battery with a brand new one. However after installation and clearing the codes we still couldn't get the active steering to work. The active steering malfunction error is still popping up.

Garage asked me to keep my car with them for a few days to further dig into the issue and see what could be the reason. Hope it's a quick fix ...
Old 04-05-2023, 06:17 PM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Hey quick update, I went to a garage today where they used an AUTEL obd scanner which showed that there was a malfunction on both side cameras/radars, upon checking for the diagnosis we found out that it was supposedly due to a low power supply. I was told that my auxiliary battery isn't delivering enough power and hence we went ahead and swapped the battery with a brand new one. However after installation and clearing the codes we still couldn't get the active steering to work. The active steering malfunction error is still popping up.

Garage asked me to keep my car with them for a few days to further dig into the issue and see what could be the reason. Hope it's a quick fix ...
Like I said in earlier post replace batterieS...garage might need to reload software. That was the "quick fix" that other forum members posted on Forum last year. Unfortunately my AMG Wagon needed hardware as well...

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
baderocks2 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 06:25 PM

G63
Like I said in earlier post replace batterieS...garage might need to reload software. That was the "quick fix" that other forum members posted on Forum last year. Unfortunately my AMG Wagon needed hardware as well...

Good Luck
You mentioned that you had to get your steering wheel switches swapped right? Could you clarify more on that? Why do the switches have an effect on the active steering function whose switch isn't on the steering wheel?
Old 04-05-2023, 07:09 PM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
You mentioned that you had to get your steering wheel switches swapped right? Could you clarify more on that? Why do the switches have an effect on the active steering function whose switch isn't on the steering wheel?
You have to ask Mercedes Tech Center or a Master Tech at a larger MB/AMG Dealership Service Center. 2021 AMG E63s steering wheel and switches different from your W222 steering wheel and switches. After nearly 3-months and replacing hardware sometimes twice the last ditch effort was the replacement of the switches. Shop Forum at ABQ NM Dealership was the sole technician who worked on my Wagon and took DIRECTION from Experts in Germany. He was surprised that the switches fixed the problem! I'm just glad I got my AMG E63s wagon back...driving a brand new GLC loaner was painful. MBUSA gave me a $5K check for my inconvenience since had an East Coast trip planned before Thanksgiving 2022. Could not drive loaner out of state but put on 3K miles anyways since NM cities are 250 miles apart. Also kept mileage off my 2015 SS. Used the money to buy wifey a diamond wedding band since we all gained weight over last 26-years; now she's my friend again...lol

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:27 PM

G63
You have to ask Mercedes Tech Center or a Master Tech at a larger MB/AMG Dealership Service Center. 2021 AMG E63s steering wheel and switches different from your W222 steering wheel and switches. After nearly 3-months and replacing hardware sometimes twice the last ditch effort was the replacement of the switches. Shop Forum at ABQ NM Dealership was the sole technician who worked on my Wagon and took DIRECTION from Experts in Germany. He was surprised that the switches fixed the problem! I'm just glad I got my AMG E63s wagon back...driving a brand new GLC loaner was painful. MBUSA gave me a $5K check for my inconvenience since had an East Coast trip planned before Thanksgiving 2022. Could not drive loaner out of state but put on 3K miles anyways since NM cities are 250 miles apart. Also kept mileage off my 2015 SS. Used the money to buy wifey a diamond wedding band since we all gained weight over last 26-years; now she's my friend again...lol

Good luck.

Wise decision youve done with your money there. Will keep the idea of replacing the switches as a potential solution. Thanks a lot for the input.