S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

iCarsoft MB II Scanner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 11:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
iCarsoft MB II Scanner

Hello all- anyone know if the iCarsoft MB II scans for "non-check engine light codes"- i.e. a systems scan? For example, will it list faults related to suspension/airmatic system, steering, braking, drivetrain codes etc... that would normally not trip a check engine light? When I first purchased my 2015 S550, my indy ran STAR and was able to pull down a few internally stored fault codes. I'm looking for this same ability and was wondering if this more basic scanner has this capability.

I recently came across a post that this scanner was able to identify air conditioning vent faults, so I'm assuming the answer to my question is a yes. Was just curious from some folks with hands-on experience with this scanner.

I'm not looking for programming options. Just want to be able to diagnose, read run stats (i.e. transmission temp for service etc) so was looking at a more basic scanner, albeit a scanner that is more tailored to MB.

My second question- anyone know if additional software needs to be purchased for this scanner that is vehicle specific? I'd love if it worked for both my SL500 (R230) and W222.

--Thanks--
Old 04-10-2023, 12:45 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 GL420 CDi and 2015 S500
Originally Posted by Jay04SL
Hello all- anyone know if the iCarsoft MB II scans for "non-check engine light codes"- i.e. a systems scan? For example, will it list faults related to suspension/airmatic system, steering, braking, drivetrain codes etc... that would normally not trip a check engine light? When I first purchased my 2015 S550, my indy ran STAR and was able to pull down a few internally stored fault codes. I'm looking for this same ability and was wondering if this more basic scanner has this capability.

I recently came across a post that this scanner was able to identify air conditioning vent faults, so I'm assuming the answer to my question is a yes. Was just curious from some folks with hands-on experience with this scanner.

I'm not looking for programming options. Just want to be able to diagnose, read run stats (i.e. transmission temp for service etc) so was looking at a more basic scanner, albeit a scanner that is more tailored to MB.

My second question- anyone know if additional software needs to be purchased for this scanner that is vehicle specific? I'd love if it worked for both my SL500 (R230) and W222.

--Thanks--
Early this year I bought the following unit

iCarsoft CR PRO + Professional Diagnostic Package - ALL System, Coding, Calibration, Programming & More at £295.00

I got this one as it does lots of different models, I have Mercedes S class, Mercedes GL, a couple of Jaguars and a Ford van. This unit will work on all of them and loads more as well.
So in answer to a unit that will cover both your Mercedes then this one will do it.

I got mine in the UK from
diagnostic-world.com

If you look at their website I think it will show all the systems the units will check on.
If I go to "scan system" it runs through about 25 pages of scanning lots of systems in the car , there are some great you tube channels reporting on the units and these will show you probably what you are looking to find as well.
Hopefully the website and you tube will give you all the answers you need. I think this unit is probably a bit more expensive than a dedicated Mercedes one but may be more value overall if you ever need to help out friends and family with their cars as well.

Last edited by roviw1; 04-10-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:54 PM

From their website

iCarsoft CR PRO + Professional Diagnostic Package - ALL System, Coding, Calibration, Programming & More (diagnostic-world.com)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:39 PM

2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
Thanks for sharing. Also welcome any direct experience w this scanner, suggestions etc.
The following users liked this post:
roviw1 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:18 PM

Thanks for sharing. Also welcome any direct experience w this scanner, suggestions etc.
I have only used it a couple of times so far, on my 2015 XJL I read a few codes and then googled them , they mentioned a few historic codes for various minor things like electric seat issues or door locking issues and also a couple of minor things, none of which i was ever aware of and were obviously random one offs I guess.
It also showed an issue with something to do with a transmission control module, again this did not materialise into anything as when the car went into the dealer for a service they checked over the car and no issues were found.

Moving on to 2 weeks ago I had a fault on the tailgate of my GL , after googling it and searching the GL forum and you tube I found it may be to do with a sensor strip , someone on the forum said by using a code reader it would confirm this and give me a particular code. Straight away I went out and plugged it in and scrolled through the long list of modules it was checking until I came to one , called rear door or something similar, and lo and behold " fault on left hand sensor strip " and the code showed the same as the other chap had mentioned .
I then sorted the issue with a bypass and fitted a resistor as a temporary fix after unplugging the sensor strip, apparently these sensor strips are difficult and expensive to get if you can find one.

So far this is my only uses and I am still looking to learn a lot more about the unit, as I mentioned you tube really shows a lot of testing and reviews of this particular model , hence me choosing it. I certainly did not have money to waste so wanted to get a sensible unit that would work with all my vehicles ( and my brothers cars ( VW's and Audi ) if he ever needed to borrow it )

The unit does allow you to scan a lot of items in the car and you can then look at any current codes / faults and any historic ones, it also allows you to delete codes. It seems to be able to do a lot of other things including resetting certain things, at the moment I do not feel I know enough to delve too deeply as I do not want to give myself any bad problems by " messing about " with not enough knowledge.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:29 PM

2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
Originally Posted by roviw1
I have only used it a couple of times so far, on my 2015 XJL I read a few codes and then googled them , they mentioned a few historic codes for various minor things like electric seat issues or door locking issues and also a couple of minor things, none of which i was ever aware of and were obviously random one offs I guess.
It also showed an issue with something to do with a transmission control module, again this did not materialise into anything as when the car went into the dealer for a service they checked over the car and no issues were found.

Moving on to 2 weeks ago I had a fault on the tailgate of my GL , after googling it and searching the GL forum and you tube I found it may be to do with a sensor strip , someone on the forum said by using a code reader it would confirm this and give me a particular code. Straight away I went out and plugged it in and scrolled through the long list of modules it was checking until I came to one , called rear door or something similar, and lo and behold " fault on left hand sensor strip " and the code showed the same as the other chap had mentioned .
I then sorted the issue with a bypass and fitted a resistor as a temporary fix after unplugging the sensor strip, apparently these sensor strips are difficult and expensive to get if you can find one.

So far this is my only uses and I am still looking to learn a lot more about the unit, as I mentioned you tube really shows a lot of testing and reviews of this particular model , hence me choosing it. I certainly did not have money to waste so wanted to get a sensible unit that would work with all my vehicles ( and my brothers cars ( VW's and Audi ) if he ever needed to borrow it )

The unit does allow you to scan a lot of items in the car and you can then look at any current codes / faults and any historic ones, it also allows you to delete codes. It seems to be able to do a lot of other things including resetting certain things, at the moment I do not feel I know enough to delve too deeply as I do not want to give myself any bad problems by " messing about " with not enough knowledge.
Appreciate you sharing your experience. Did it work "out-of-the-box" with your car? Or did you need to purchase additional software etc.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:45 PM

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Did it work "out-of-the-box" with your car? Or did you need to purchase additional software etc.
Worked straight out of the box, the beauty of these units is they come with free updates through the internet so you can always run on the latest software.
I read a lot about them and was warned by numerous people to be aware there are fake units offered for sale online and they should be purchased from a proper licenced icarsoft seller , hence me going to the company I mentioned in the earlier link.
I am pretty sure there must be a similar seller / website in the US .
Just had a quick look and this UK seller does ship overseas at a charge of £25.

Looked online and icarsoft have agents in 120 countries
iCarsoft Technology Inc.

I suggest maybe emailing them directly, I would not suggest buying from Amazon or Ebay just incase they are clone copies.

The following users liked this post:
Jay04SL (04-10-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W222
Originally Posted by roviw1
Early this year I bought the following unit

iCarsoft CR PRO + Professional Diagnostic Package - ALL System, Coding, Calibration, Programming & More at £295.00

I got this one as it does lots of different models, I have Mercedes S class, Mercedes GL, a couple of Jaguars and a Ford van. This unit will work on all of them and loads more as well.
So in answer to a unit that will cover both your Mercedes then this one will do it.

I got mine in the UK from
diagnostic-world.com

If you look at their website I think it will show all the systems the units will check on.
If I go to "scan system" it runs through about 25 pages of scanning lots of systems in the car , there are some great you tube channels reporting on the units and these will show you probably what you are looking to find as well.
Hopefully the website and you tube will give you all the answers you need. I think this unit is probably a bit more expensive than a dedicated Mercedes one but may be more value overall if you ever need to help out friends and family with their cars as well.
Thank you for sharing. I have a question, I’m planning to change transmission fluid. Do I need to go for this device or I can get the temperature from the service menu directly? My car is s560 2018
Old 04-15-2023, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Naserals
Thank you for sharing. I have a question, I’m planning to change transmission fluid. Do I need to go for this device or I can get the temperature from the service menu directly? My car is s560 2018
I am sorry i cannot answer that question, I had the dealer do my transmission fluid on the service they did as part of when i bought mine as a used car. I have not learned enough yet with the icarsoft unit to know this, maybe someone else will know the answer, or maybe the company icarsoft can tell you possibly via email.
best of luck
Old 04-18-2023, 10:31 AM

2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
Originally Posted by Naserals
I've been searching for the same thing via the service menu on my '15 550, but am not having any luck. Nearly every trans service I've seen, the tech uses a scanner for the temp, so that may be the only way.