Getting the silent treatment from dealer regarding Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 11:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S 450
Getting the silent treatment from dealer regarding Extended Warranty

Background...

When I purchased my car it was not a CPO and still had about 1500 miles of factory warranty on it. I asked if it would be possible to certify it, at a cost obviously. They did, and in addition to that I purchased another 2 years of MB Extended Warranty. A few months ago I realized I didn’t have a copy of my EW certificate so I e-mailed them and the very nice lady promptly sent it to me. When reviewing it I noticed there were discrepancies between the dates and the term.

If you guys look at the dates on the attached file (even though whoever filled this out apparently used different date formats throughout the certificate) you will see that roughly speaking the CPO would cover me through 2022 and the EW would cover me through 2024. E-mailed them a couple of times and asked for an updated copy. I was told it was forwarded to their diretor who sold me these products and then I never heard from him.

A couple of months later during a road trip I decided to take a 100 mile detour and stop by the dealership. Sat down with him, showed him the certificate and explained the issue and what I needed. I told him I had emailed him a couple of times and he straight up told me all his emails go to the assistant and he basically doesn’t read them. I expected that he would simply open his computer, print and email me a new certificate right there and send me on my way. He instead looked at the screen, said the price seemed like it would be for a one year coverage but wasn’t sure. Made now mention of the dates which by the way were all highlighted. Blew me off and told him to text him a copy of the certificate because, again, he doesn’t really read his emails. So I texted him the certificate and nothing. 2 months went by and I e-mailed him and his assistant asking if there were any updates. This time not even his assistant replied. She usually replied saying that the email had been forwarded to him.

I called MBFS, even though I know they don’t handle this, but I wanted to try. They informed me that They have no access to that system and Only the dealer could fix the issue. Som y 2 questions are:

1) Is this a universal system integrated between all dealers? If I go to the dealership that services my car (not the one I purchased the car from) would They be able to access this contract and clear things up?
2) If not, what would be your suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thanks in advance for any help
Attached Thumbnails Getting the silent treatment from dealer regarding Extended Warranty-img_5338.jpg  
Old 04-17-2023, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Looks like they made a mistake on the dates of coverage as this would appear to be a 1 year ELW. They will not give you an extra year of coverage if they simply made a typo on the coverage dates.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 06:21 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
I don't have an answer to your question, but as clarification, you should have two separate warranty certificates: (1) Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty, and (2) Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty. I purchased the two year additional warranty for my 20 GLS 450 CPO purchased in November 2022.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:19 PM

2018 S 450

Last edited by BeanBR; 04-17-2023 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Failed to quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:21 PM

2018 S 450
Originally Posted by superpop
Looks like they made a mistake on the dates of coverage as this would appear to be a 1 year ELW. They will not give you an extra year of coverage if they simply made a typo on the coverage dates.
Though so based, on the price.

I would just like them to give me a certificate with the correct dates because I'm looking to sell the car with a couple of months of warranty and as a buyer I would ask for the paperwork with the correct dates.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 07:26 PM

2018 S 450
Originally Posted by TNS550
I don't have an answer to your question, but as clarification, you should have two separate warranty certificates: (1) Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty, and (2) Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty. I purchased the two year additional warranty for my 20 GLS 450 CPO purchased in November 2022.
Yeah. I never got the CPO certificate itself (but they did put it in the contract and the price charged) and since that has expired anyway it's all good. But the ELW certificate would be helpful when selling the car.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:47 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Is there any detail description of the extended warranty terms on the Buyer's Order that you initially signed that would support the two year extended warranty? It should be a separate line item and hopefully there is a description.

As to the comment re pricing sounds like one year, there is a ton of profit built into transaction and plenty of room for negotiation, so someone could have paid that price for one year. As an example, at my GLS450 purchase the first offer for two years $4,500, but we settled on $2,900+.

My suggestion is to send a certified letter to the dealership's general manager (at my dealership the title is Dealer Operator) laying out the details of the two year warranty you purchased that expires in December 2024, and say you are simply requesting a copy of the two year Mercedes Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty that you failed to receive when you purchased the vehicle. However, you have encountered a lack of cooperation over the past several months from the dealership staff in your attempt. It may not do any good, but sending the certified letter should let them know you are serious in your attempt.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:28 AM

2018 S 450
Originally Posted by TNS550
Is there any detail description of the extended warranty terms on the Buyer's Order that you initially signed that would support the two year extended warranty? It should be a separate line item and hopefully there is a description.

As to the comment re pricing sounds like one year, there is a ton of profit built into transaction and plenty of room for negotiation, so someone could have paid that price for one year. As an example, at my GLS450 purchase the first offer for two years $4,500, but we settled on $2,900+.

My suggestion is to send a certified letter to the dealership's general manager (at my dealership the title is Dealer Operator) laying out the details of the two year warranty you purchased that expires in December 2024, and say you are simply requesting a copy of the two year Mercedes Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty that you failed to receive when you purchased the vehicle. However, you have encountered a lack of cooperation over the past several months from the dealership staff in your attempt. It may not do any good, but sending the certified letter should let them know you are serious in your attempt.

I'm sitting down this week to go over all the paperwork I have here and look for any info that I might have missed on the Buyer's Order.

I requested the same information from the company that handles the Road Hazard protection and it was so easy. They replied to my email in 24hs with all the info and then some.

Guess I'm just kind of frustraded that it's been this complicated to get the same from the dealer. I just need this in writing to help me decide when to sell the car. But I would be ok selling it this year if the warranty expires in 23 or holding on to it untill 24. I'm even quoting third party warranty just in case I want to keep it longer because the car has been nothing but excellent... But boy am I curious about owning a GLS 😂
Old 04-20-2023, 09:00 AM

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 S450 4Matic, 2022 GLS450 4Matic, 2015 C300
The GLS is a great car, we have a 450, we’re keeping an eye out for a 580, they have a few more toys on them (leather, multi contour massaging seats mainly).

As for the ELW, any dealer can look it up and see what the dates are, it’s a MB centralized system. I bought mine out of state and it’s right there at my local dealer. Call the service department and ask them to take a look and tell you the dates. I got mine at the end of last year, and I didn’t receive any paperwork on it, when I asked for something, I got a cell phone picture of the screen, showing the details of my car.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:00 PM

2018 S 450
Originally Posted by will_atl
As for the ELW, any dealer can look it up and see what the dates are, it’s a MB centralized system. I bought mine out of state and it’s right there at my local dealer. Call the service department and ask them to take a look and tell you the dates. I got mine at the end of last year, and I didn’t receive any paperwork on it, when I asked for something, I got a cell phone picture of the screen, showing the details of my car.
Cool! Thanks for the tip! Will get on it