S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Any mechanical difference between Maybach and regular S-class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S
Any mechanical difference between Maybach and regular S-class?

This question can apply to all generations, but we will focus on the W222 here.

While I know that Maybach models come with many luxury features as standard (e.g., Burmester High-End 3D sound system, adjustable rear seat with leg rests), it seems that a fully-loaded regular S-Class can also include these features.

So, I'm wondering if there are any mechanical or design differences that set the two apart, aside from their dimensions and the IWC clock. For instance, does the Maybach S-Class have a better suspension system or improved sound insulation compared to a regular S-Class with similar features?

I'd appreciate any insights you can share, especially if you have firsthand experience with these vehicles. Are there any specific advantages to choosing a Maybach over a fully-loaded regular S-Class, or is it mostly a matter of brand prestige?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Old 04-23-2023, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 645 Likes on 422 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Beside the V12 engine, I highly doubt there are major mechanical improvements at the suspension or insulation level. I assume brakes probably would be larger to fit the higher weight.
My W222 S560 has the maybach leather interior (Semi-aniline) “maybe it’s not maybach, but at least the one seen on most maybachs”… When I saw the interior of Maybach, I don’t recall I spotted any differences in seats quality, leather or seating comfort. Dashboard and attention to detail seemed to be the same and most parts are shared with the exception of the longer rear door and tweeters. Glass appears to have the same thickness. Magic Sky Control functions the same way. I can’t say much about insulation but I doubt Mercedes are making anything special for Maybach; my assumption is that they have already invested their best tech in the S-class in general and there ins’t much better options but that is just my assumption. What I can tell you, seating and leather felt the same way when compared to fully loaded S560 with same highest tier leather and interior trim (Semi-aniline interior); which in view is a huge upgrade.

Interested to hear from others if they are aware of any “major” differences.

The attention to details in the W222 makes it really hard to build further on it. Premium material choices and design on every spot.

The following users liked this post:
QuadBenz (04-26-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Maybach's have additional insulation throughout the car and of course the longer body (rear cabin extension) exclusive to the brand. Leather headliners are not available on the regular S-Class (apart from the S65). I believe the leather quality semi aniline in the standard (like exclusive nappa) or tufted design. There is a more detailed selection on the leather and wood matching.
Otherwise there are some of the usual Maybach bits like the pillows etc.
By definition of a different body length and weight, the suspension will have been calibrated to the weight distribution and ride qualities of the car but I am not aware if different components have been used. That is easy to check with part numbers.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-23-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 645 Likes on 422 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Maybach's have additional insulation throughout the car and of course the longer body (rear cabin extension) exclusive to the brand. Leather headliners are not available on the regular S-Class (apart from the S65). I believe the leather quality semi aniline in the standard (like exclusive nappa) or tufted design. There is a more detailed selection on the leather and wood matching.
Otherwise there are some of the usual Maybach bits like the pillows etc.
By definition of a different body length and weight, the suspension will have been calibrated to the weight distribution and ride qualities of the car but I am not aware if different components have been used. That is easy to check with part numbers.
I found reliable info on the W223 Maybach design compared to S580, such as the addition firewall insulation and acoustic foam in certain sections of the bodyshell have also been adopted; however there isn’t any formal Mercedes articles or reputable sources I found about the adoption of similar improvements for the W222. The only documented difference I found was the availability of noise/foam insulation material in the tires (as an option) for the W222 Maybach which is not available on the S560 (same is true now for W223).

Last edited by S_W222; 04-23-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Colliot
This question can apply to all generations, but we will focus on the W222 here.

While I know that Maybach models come with many luxury features as standard (e.g., Burmester High-End 3D sound system, adjustable rear seat with leg rests), it seems that a fully-loaded regular S-Class can also include these features.

So, I'm wondering if there are any mechanical or design differences that set the two apart, aside from their dimensions and the IWC clock. For instance, does the Maybach S-Class have a better suspension system or improved sound insulation compared to a regular S-Class with similar features?

I'd appreciate any insights you can share, especially if you have firsthand experience with these vehicles. Are there any specific advantages to choosing a Maybach over a fully-loaded regular S-Class, or is it mostly a matter of brand prestige?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

@Katie22 will have input on this question.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 257 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
I read somewhere that Maybachs use steel springs ...
Old 04-26-2023, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 535 Likes on 399 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
I read somewhere that Maybachs use steel springs ...
With MBC? Hmmm
Old 04-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by JohnLane
With MBC? Hmmm
Yes. There have been over time on this site technical breakdowns of the several MB suspension systems.