S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

AC smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 645 Likes on 422 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
AC smell

Now with temperature warming up, I feel a a smell from the AC during the first 5-10 seconds when the AC kicks in. It is not a moldy smell, and not that bad, but it does not smell fresh like I assume it should. I assume it is not a hard to track type of problem and kind of common; or is that even normal when temps are still in the 60-65F range with AC working? I don't recall that in my former W222 but now I am in a different climate zone and state anyway. The smell disappears 100% after the first 5-10 seconds. AC filter was installed in Dec 2022.

What are the different things I should look at?

Last edited by S_W222; 04-29-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:25 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Well, I guess it is mold in the AC system, there are sprays to get rid of it.....
Old 04-29-2023, 02:30 PM

Received 146 Likes on 103 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
The only solution I found for this (with all cars, not just the S) was when I would be parking overnight or a few hours, 5-10 min before arrival at destination. Turn off the Air Con and leave the fan on (I turn it on higher). It reduces condensation inside of the vent tubes which breeds the moldy/mildew odor source. Once or twice a month or so (during A/C use months) when the car is at operating temp, I turn on the heat full blast for about 10 min to fully dry out whatever is in the vent system.

in the same regard, in the winter I kick on the A/C for 10 min or so once of twice a month to circulate freon (not sure if its an old wives tale that the system needs to circulate periodically to stay lubricated internally)

edit to add: I'm in NYC where humidity and heat gets nasty, condensation on cooled venting builds up quickly once the car is shut down. I just remembered my previous cars had the "rest" button available where when the car was off, the climate control system continued to circulate air for a little while. This eliminated or reduced condensation buildup. I dont recall seeing that on the w222 (i don't look at the console buttons often), maybe someone knows and can chime in.

Last edited by vincheung; 04-29-2023 at 02:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vincheung:
MercedesBenzers (04-30-2023), Nice Ride (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 08:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Golf 7R
What the person above me said. If you leave the AC on all the time, moist will stay in the system and attract bacteria. This can turn in to mold, doesn't have to, but bacteria will smell aswel. Make sure to turn the AC off at least 5 minutes before parking, but keep the ventilation going so the filters can dry.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by vincheung
The only solution I found for this (with all cars, not just the S) was when I would be parking overnight or a few hours, 5-10 min before arrival at destination. Turn off the Air Con and leave the fan on (I turn it on higher). It reduces condensation inside of the vent tubes which breeds the moldy/mildew odor source. Once or twice a month or so (during A/C use months) when the car is at operating temp, I turn on the heat full blast for about 10 min to fully dry out whatever is in the vent system.

in the same regard, in the winter I kick on the A/C for 10 min or so once of twice a month to circulate freon (not sure if its an old wives tale that the system needs to circulate periodically to stay lubricated internally)

edit to add: I'm in NYC where humidity and heat gets nasty, condensation on cooled venting builds up quickly once the car is shut down. I just remembered my previous cars had the "rest" button available where when the car was off, the climate control system continued to circulate air for a little while. This eliminated or reduced condensation buildup. I dont recall seeing that on the w222 (i don't look at the console buttons often), maybe someone knows and can chime in.
Great Suggestion!! Rest Button does exist on W222, Also, I believe Benz Ninja can Increase the Run Time...
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Thanks everyone, problem solved. I should have checked the cabin air filter, but because car history shows it was replaced just less than a year ago, I did not think it could be it. I pulled the air filter and really looked not that bad. I replaced the filter as I have an extra one already, problem solved 100%. Like I said, the smell was NOT like (mold) but it was somewhat not up to W222 spec in my view. Listen learned, from now on, I'll have FCPeuro filter replaced every 12-months utilizing the lifetime warranty replacement.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,749 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
FCP Euro lifetime replacement is not what it once was...

It could be the filter that was used. Some filters have an odd smell
Old 04-30-2023, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
FCP Euro lifetime replacement is not what it once was...

It could be the filter that was used. Some filters have an odd smell
It was actually the factory filter, but my guess is that they forgot to change it (but I also doubt that). Whatever the reason is, replacing the filter fixed the problem completely. The older filter seemed clogged anyway and needed to be cleaned or replaced despite.
Agree that FCPeuro warranty in the past used to be better, but for my typical use, I am yet to have any issues with them. They have honored refunding me on most items like wiper blades and filters. I paid them more for OEM wiper blades when I had my older W222, and I got them again for my current W222 but it will pay for itself after the 2nd replacement. Most forum members here replace them for free after 1-year based on what I read on the other thread about wiper blades from FCP with no issues. They are still my preferred vendor after the dealer on a few items.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 535 Likes on 399 Posts
222 S-65
Seems like FCP Euro’s business model could only result in failure.

Hmmmm.... Perhaps I purchase my next set of 24 spark plugs from them. I get to replace them every 18 months.

Last edited by JohnLane; 04-30-2023 at 12:55 PM.
BenzNinja SII (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JohnLane
Seems like FCP Euro’s business model could only result in failure.

Hmmmm.... Perhaps I purchase my next set of 24 spark plugs from them. I get to replace them every 18 months.
At first glance, It seems like a unsustainable business practice for them, but hey, if that is what the are offering us as clients, why not use it? They have been following this for years and years (in fact since 2012 exactly) and they seem to be even expanding (they opened a new large facility in mid east I think in Utah or somewhere around, so it is certainly working for them). I think they count on the fact that most if the high-ticket items (like spark plugs and brake pads, etc) would expire "after" the average consumer trade in his car, while those who keep their cars well beyond the reasonable useful lifetime of these wearable items form a small %s of their overall purchases. Keep in mind that it is only for you (the person who purchased the item, not the next owner). Am not sure about 18 months for spark plugs though, I think you can get free replacement after the typical reasonable lifetime has passed (Like 1 year for filters, 1 year for oil change, and maybe 30-40K miles or 3-4 years for spark plugs). If MB recommends replacing them every 18 months as the typical useful life, then u should be good. For brakes, I think it does not matter as long as you show them that the brake pads are already done. I never kept any of my cars long enough to need brake pads or spark plugs replaced lol.

From their website:
"How can FCP Euro afford to offer this? We only offer high-quality parts and reputable brands. This makes warrantying everything for life a little easier, but we also consider replacements the cost of business for keeping our customers happy and coming back for life."

As you can tell, they markup their products just a little over OEM prices, so that it is just enough that the additional markup from most buyers who do not send the parts for replacement, would cover the cost of replacing parts for the smaller % of customers who would send their parts for a replacement. In many cases, they still sell items below dealer's asking price for the same item. By offering such replacement warranty on most items, they can lock in customers for life (as in my case for instance, I even buy some* of the fluids from them such aswindshield fluids that are of course not covered by replacement). Engine oil by the way are also covered under lifetime replacement if you flush the oil and send it back to them in the original container. Check their YouTube there is a video on how many oil containers they receive per day for replacement and how they deal with the returned oil. I never bothered about engine oil as I do my oil change at the dealer rather than doing it myself, but I get wiper blades, OEM engine filters, OEM cabin filter, OEM spark plugs, brake pads and windshield fluid always from them.

Last edited by S_W222; 04-30-2023 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:38 PM

Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts
Various
Originally Posted by S_W222
Thanks everyone, problem solved. I should have checked the cabin air filter, but because car history shows it was replaced just less than a year ago, I did not think it could be it. I pulled the air filter and really looked not that bad. I replaced the filter as I have an extra one already, problem solved 100%. Like I said, the smell was NOT like (mold) but it was somewhat not up to W222 spec in my view. Listen learned, from now on, I'll have FCPeuro filter replaced every 12-months utilizing the lifetime warranty replacement.
I can google it, but I’ll ask here, where is the cabin air filter? I replaced the cabin filter in my past 19 E class and won’t do that again, what a PITA. Getting the bottom cover back on was a job. The one in the engine bay is a piece of cake, but when needed I may let the dealer change the cabin one based on your comments.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,560 Likes on 2,176 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by NbyNW
I can google it, but I’ll ask here, where is the cabin air filter? I replaced the cabin filter in my past 19 E class and won’t do that again, what a PITA. Getting the bottom cover back on was a job. The one in the engine bay is a piece of cake, but when needed I may let the dealer change the cabin one based on your comments.
There are two filters I think the cabin air filter is the one where the battery is under the hood, the activated charcoal or the fine particulate filter is the one that gives our backs a workout.
NbyNW (04-30-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
My bet was on the cabin filter as well but I should confess I didn't expect it to go bad in just 12 months either
Anyway, now you have more comfortable car to drive which is important
Old 05-01-2023, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzV12
My bet was on the cabin filter as well but I should confess I didn't expect it to go bad in just 12 months either
Anyway, now you have more comfortable car to drive which is important
@BenzV12 , I think I came to a conclusion the air filter that the service history was referring to in Dec is actually the engine air filter not the cabin filter. The service history records did not elaborate, which is stupid, and I previously assumed that it was the cabin air filter that was replaced last year by the dealer. Looking over the service history records I have from the 1st owner, it says "Air Filter Replaced", so you can't really tell for sure if it was the cabin or engine air filter, and there are no part numbers recorded. I don't have a reason as to why I always assumed it was the cabin other than the fact the cost to replace it was closer to cabin air filter than engine air filter when I cross-link the estimated price of both filters, but clearly that is not a definitive way to tell. Based on how dirty the cabin air filter was, I am convinced that the service records were referring to the engine air filter. When I replaced the engine air filter a couple weeks ago, I remember the old one actually looked pretty good, which also leads to the same conclusion. I already threw away that engine air filter, which apparently was only 6-months old if my conclusion is accurate. Regardless, I have a piece of mind now that both filters are new and clean.

Last edited by S_W222; 05-01-2023 at 01:24 PM.
BenzV12 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 07:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by S_W222
@BenzV12 , I think I came to a conclusion the air filter that the service history was referring to in Dec is actually the engine air filter not the cabin filter. The service history records did not elaborate, which is stupid, and I previously assumed that it was the cabin air filter that was replaced last year by the dealer. Looking over the service history records I have from the 1st owner, it says "Air Filter Replaced", so you can't really tell for sure if it was the cabin or engine air filter, and there are no part numbers recorded. I don't have a reason as to why I always assumed it was the cabin other than the fact the cost to replace it was closer to cabin air filter than engine air filter when I cross-link the estimated price of both filters, but clearly that is not a definitive way to tell. Based on how dirty the cabin air filter was, I am convinced that the service records were referring to the engine air filter. When I replaced the engine air filter a couple weeks ago, I remember the old one actually looked pretty good, which also leads to the same conclusion. I already threw away that engine air filter, which apparently was only 6-months old if my conclusion is accurate. Regardless, I have a piece of mind now that both filters are new and clean.
Great job on the DIY, now enjoy the fresh air
Old 07-20-2023, 06:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE53 Coupe
My dealer just recall my car in for ac drain line . Maybe this is the issue
Old 07-20-2023, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
This is what car dealers use. I've used it in my home a/c and it cleaned up the musty odor. Great stuff. Spray it into air drawing vents with a/c on.

http://aircare.niteoproducts.com/ozium-2/

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 07-20-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63
Apart from a clogged drain and an old cabin filter, make sure you leave your AC on AUTO at all times. I used to get stank vents in my W204 until I started doing that. I was manually setting the climate control options, turning it off, etc. If you do not leave the AC in Auto all the time, the car will not dry the vents out after you park. I never had stinky vents ever again.
Old 07-22-2023, 06:02 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 CL550
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Great Suggestion!! Rest Button does exist on W222, Also, I believe Benz Ninja can Increase the Run Time...
Yes I had Benz Ninja do some stuff on my 2016 GLE400, including the A/C mod and it's dramatically improved my A/C smell upon initial crank and sniff. I still run a can of KoolIt through the pipe under the passenger dash every few months..., nothing I've had my dealer perform came close to how much better it is now that the Benz Ninja coding made the fan run longer (I assume comes on earlier and stays on later, maybe even blows a little harder... I can't really tell - but it's working great). While you're having their A/C mod done, I also consider having them turn off your stupid ECO button, seatbelt warning bing, update your navigation maps, and override the navigation block to allow you to type in addresses while driving. I believe they can also make it so you can watch DVDs driving and even have some fancy headlight mods to make your beams to intelligent things. For me, the whole reason I ordered their kit was for the ECO to be turn off and all the other stuff was a bonus.. like the A/C fix that was a huge bonus.

Happy to answer any questions with photos for anyone who has been thinking about it. They were good dudes and helped me a lot.

Thanks
Joel
Old 07-24-2023, 07:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
This is what car dealers use. I've used it in my home a/c and it cleaned up the musty odor. Great stuff. Spray it into air drawing vents with a/c on.

http://aircare.niteoproducts.com/ozium-2/
Thanks for the link.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Tehvine
Apart from a clogged drain and an old cabin filter, make sure you leave your AC on AUTO at all times. I used to get stank vents in my W204 until I started doing that. I was manually setting the climate control options, turning it off, etc. If you do not leave the AC in Auto all the time, the car will not dry the vents out after you park. I never had stinky vents ever again.
It also helps if you turn on residual heating (A/C rest) at the end of the trip.