S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Bought CPO with different tire, what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S
Angry Bought CPO with different tire, what to do?

I bought a CPO W222 recently. But I just found one tire is a non-MO tire, which is not compliant with the CPO standards. I talked with the previous dealer and they say they would change it for me. Problem is the dealership is about 4hrs driving distance. I don't feel like I'm gonna drive there for this thing. I even feel that I should get some compensation, because they handed over something that doesn't meet that the contract says.

Btw they were not able to give me two keys at the time of purchase and are ordering one for me. They also asked me to go there and get it "programmed" somehow. I now have the same feeling for this thing: it's their fault not able to meet the CPO standard. Why should I drive 8hrs to get their fault fixed? Shouldn't I on the contrary get compensated?

What are your opinions? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2023, 07:16 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 s560v4
Originally Posted by Colliot
I bought a CPO W222 recently. But I just found one tire is a non-MO tire, which is not compliant with the CPO standards. I talked with the previous dealer and they say they would change it for me. Problem is the dealership is about 4hrs driving distance. I don't feel like I'm gonna drive there for this thing. I even feel that I should get some compensation, because they handed over something that doesn't meet that the contract says.

Btw they were not able to give me two keys at the time of purchase and are ordering one for me. They also asked me to go there and get it "programmed" somehow. I now have the same feeling for this thing: it's their fault not able to meet the CPO standard. Why should I drive 8hrs to get their fault fixed? Shouldn't I on the contrary get compensated?

Thats the risk you take for not buying a car locally.
I too bought from a dealer 3 hours away and had to deal with a few issues on my own- rims and Brakes.

But you got a car you that you’ll enjoy.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:30 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
I ridded myself of the MO tires and bought non-MO tires. The car is tons quieter. Yes, I know this does not directly address your question.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (09-30-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 07:50 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 206 Likes on 169 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Colliot
As far is the tire, perhaps they will agree to allow you to buy it locally and reimburse you. As far as the key, perhaps you could request that, if it needs to be programmed, that it be done at any local MBZ dealer
Old 09-27-2023, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 392 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Do they have a sister dealer closer to you? If not you are out of luck.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:17 AM

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic, 2014 ML550
Originally Posted by as.thompson
As far is the tire, perhaps they will agree to allow you to buy it locally and reimburse you. As far as the key, perhaps you could request that, if it needs to be programmed, that it be done at any local MBZ dealer
I like both of these suggestions very much.
If the dealer balks, you might get MB USA involved to strengthen your hand.
Their customer service number: 1 (800) 367-6372

Old 09-28-2023, 12:39 AM

Received 316 Likes on 221 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
I bought a CPO a year ago from a car in Oregon, and I live in Washington state. The car clearly did not meet the standards of the CPO, and I later found out that it wasn't even registered as a CPO car. Luckily my local dealer did everything that was necessary to bring it up to CPO standards, at no charge to me. Your choice on what to do but if you can have your local dealer advocate for you it's a huge win.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:20 PM

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I bought a car in LA and I live in SF Bay area, they tried to send me on my way with several missing parts from CPO and I pretty much dug in and told them I will wait for them to find everything (mats, 2nd key, and charging kit). They were offering to mail me the key when they found it or order a new one and let a local dealership do the programming, but I knew that they had to have a key in the parts department if they couldn't find the 2nd key. Same with the floor mats, so drove away with everything and the *******s told me I wasn't getting a manual it was "built into the car" . I bougtht the manual for $100 and then BANG found it in teh charging bag (I have a S550e) so wasted $100 on that.

I would try to push them to let you get wrok done at local dealer, they should be able to do that, if not you want gas money and of course you will never go back. Mercedes Benz of Callabasis where I bought mine was worst dealer ever, I would never go back there.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:59 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 206 Likes on 169 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by badq45t
I bought a car in LA and I live in SF Bay area, they tried to send me on my way with several missing parts from CPO and I pretty much dug in and told them I will wait for them to find everything (mats, 2nd key, and charging kit). They were offering to mail me the key when they found it or order a new one and let a local dealership do the programming,
About 15 years ago I bought a CPO CL500 from a different So Cal dealer that had been traded in after 3 weeks and 2000 miles. They didn't have the second key and told me that they'd mail it to me. About 3 weeks later I received a the key in the mail that was an upgraded one from the original and was programed for my car. So different results from different sale people I guess.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
With these MO or “run flat” tires, it is highly recommended that they be replaced in pairs, so I would push for TWO new ones. That said, personally, I would try to get them to reimburse you for getting the tires locally and THEN, I’d buy four new non-run flats. The transformation in how the car will ride is truly amazing. Good luck to you!