S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Pre vs Post Facelist w222 and other questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 404 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by Wolfman
That's very interesting.
I assume that the change works due to the fact that the W213 E-Class was available first with Comand and then with MBUX so that the head unit and dual screen could be swapped/coded. That wasn't the case with the W222. The E-Class Dual screen is different and MBUX requires a touch screen. Then there is the coding.

But if possible, it could be interesting even if expensive. MBUX is great now that it uses Chat GPT for conversational voice recognition...
I recall asking Max that question when I had my W222. I just searched “MBUX” on the WhatsApp chat and am quoting the following few as-is answers from him on May 6 2023:
“Yes . Possible” … “relative big work but works” … “too expensive” … “around 3.6K for W222 with Burmester and 5K with Burmester 3D”. “MBUX also needs touchpad retrofit” “can also add AR Navigation” only one drawback is the car image in MBUX won’t be S-class, it’ll be facelift E class”

Speaking about touchpads, I recall seeing on this forum someone posting a video for the production line of a W222 with a short-chassis W222 in europe or elsewhere with the touchpad. Am still puzzled to date about the touchpad.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:31 AM

Received 200 Likes on 131 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Alcyone
What tires do you have on yours now? I will check the tires on the one I am looking to get.. Not sure I can get additional warranty; it's a private salve and he is transferring the remaining CPO to me. Is there any 3rd party warranty's worth looking at?
I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and they're really good. I would have preferred Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS (AS= all season) since I drive to Montana a few times per year during the winter months. The all season tires are made with a compound that still provides decent traction, not good or great traction, in light to moderate snow. Tires for the S63 are very limited and super expensive, so keep that in mind. If I had realized how limited the tires options were, I probably would have gone for the S560 a friend was selling. We all have different priorities and preferences regarding tires, and yours might be different than mine. My favorite tires are the Continental DWS06+, second fav is the Bridgestone RE 980AS, neither of which are can be purchased in a set of 4 for the S63, but both are available for the S560. I wouldn't call either of those tires "better", both are generall less expensive than the Michelins without sacrificing too much in the rain, and better light snow traction, better options for Seattle weather. Superpop has the Pilot Sport 4 AS tires on his car and he's more than satisfied.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 11-17-2023 at 01:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Alcyone (11-18-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Alcyone
Coming from BMW, I am looking to get my first S class. Primarily focusing on the face lifted 2018-2021 s560. Not having as much experience with Mercedes, I am hoping I can get some opinions on the differences in the refresh, and if they are worth the extra money, some common issues to look out for, and what service to prepare for at 50k and 100k miles.

I do a lot of work myself, so I have some understanding of vehicles, but that knowledge is primarily BMW, so I understand there will be a learning curve. That being said, what are the main weak points of the s550 and s560 (if any)? What major service is expected at 50k and 100k miles, engine and transmissions wise, besides the regular oil and filter change? Any suspension work? Noticeable differences in infotainment systems?

What sort of reliability can be expected? Coming from BMW, I have never been stranded and had to get towed, I never experienced major issues with my cars; I do take care of them and perform all regular maintenance. Can this level of reliability be expected from a Mercedes v8? Is there a free online WIS?

What is the general opinion on the HUD, is it useful or useless? On my current 7, it's incredibly useful. Does the Mercedes HUD display address book, tracks info, etc..

Appreciate all comments and thoughts. Thanks!
I need help… I bought an AMG GLS 63 2018 AND WANT TO KNOW what is
Old 11-25-2023, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Mr4matic
I need help… I bought an AMG GLS 63 2018 AND WANT TO KNOW what is
Please post any questions for your car in their respective forums.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl63-amg-...x166-x167-188/
Likely more views in the non-AMG forums: https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x166-207/