S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Rear mirror and side mirrors never dim other car headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 10:18 PM

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts
W222, Porsche 958
Rear mirror and side mirrors never dim other car headlights

I have a question I’ve noticed since the day I got my 2015 - When it’s dark outside and you’re driving - most cars have auto dimming side mirrors but I notice mine never work and very rare if it works or I even notice and at night when cars are next to you or behind you - my rear view mirror doesn’t dim headlights so I keep the shade up and my side mirrors don’t do anything either.

am I doing something wrong?

thanks
Old 01-14-2024, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,786 Posts
2024 S580
Mine dim, the passenger one doesn’t dim the way it did on my Lexus vehicles which is annoying but the rear view mirror and drivers mirror dim.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:11 AM

W222, Porsche 958
Is there something I’m missing in settings or where the window controls are - since the day I’ve owned it very rare does anything dim I don’t even think I’m the year of ownership the rear view mirror has ever dimmed
Old 01-15-2024, 12:01 PM

Received 224 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
No, I don't think there's anything for you to miss. Rather, I believe the auto-dimming is always enabled; there's not way to switch it on/off.

Old 01-15-2024, 04:30 PM

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts
2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Found this in the 2019 S560 owners manual.
The inside rearview mirror and the outside mirror
on the driver's side automatically go into
anti-glare mode if light from a headlamp hits the
sensor on the inside rearview mirror.
System limitations
The system does NOT go into anti-glare mode in
the following situations:
* the engine is switched off
* reverse gear is engaged
* the interior lighting is switched on
You can check the function at night or during the day with a windshield sunshade like I did for the pictures. Use a flashlight and shine it at the center of the inside mirror. (mirror side). Watch the 2 mirrors change. The headlamps do NOT have to be on. Start the car and leave it in Park. The trick was to use a full size sunshade if checking during the day. It will not work without it during the day.

I can also add that if you have your rear window shade up it will affect the dimming operation. It will block some of the light from behind you shining into the mirror.

Outside mirror normal

Outside mirror dimmed

Inside mirror normal

Inside mirror dimmed

Last edited by MBGuy2022; 01-15-2024 at 05:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MayorMcCheese (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 06:42 PM

W222, Porsche 958
That is excellent help thanks so much! - And with pictures thanks so much - Gonna pay attention now and with the sunshade now im curious.

I also notice it doesn't mention anything about the passenger side
Old 01-15-2024, 06:59 PM

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts
2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
That is excellent help thanks so much! - And with pictures thanks so much - Gonna pay attention now and with the sunshade now im curious.

I also notice it doesn't mention anything about the passenger side
No dimming function for the passenger outside mirror.
Need to add:
The doors have to be closed so the interior light is not on when checking operation of the dimming function.
Now that it's dark outside take a flashlight to the inside mirror glass. You will see the light sensor in the glass. There are 2 circles in the center line of the mirror glass (one high up and one low). I believe the upper circle is the sensor. It can only be seen with the flashlight shinning on it. The mirrors will quickly change when the sensor is exposed to a bright flashlight.
The REAR window power sunshade can cause the system not to dim properly because it will block the headlamps from behind.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:30 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 GL420 CDi and 2015 S500
Originally Posted by MBGuy2022
Found this in the 2019 S560 owners manual.
The inside rearview mirror and the outside mirror
on the driver's side automatically go into
anti-glare mode if light from a headlamp hits the
sensor on the inside rearview mirror.
System limitations
The system does NOT go into anti-glare mode in
the following situations:
* the engine is switched off
* reverse gear is engaged
* the interior lighting is switched on
You can check the function at night or during the day with a windshield sunshade like I did for the pictures. Use a flashlight and shine it at the center of the inside mirror. (mirror side). Watch the 2 mirrors change. The headlamps do NOT have to be on. Start the car and leave it in Park. The trick was to use a full size sunshade if checking during the day. It will not work without it during the day.

I can also add that if you have your rear window shade up it will affect the dimming operation. It will block some of the light from behind you shining into the mirror.

Outside mirror normal

Outside mirror dimmed

Inside mirror normal

Inside mirror dimmed
Ah that answers a question I have never got round to asking, my passenger side mirror never darkens and I did wonder if the glass had been changed at some point or something had broken, you have just informed me that it was never supposed to darken at all, thanks very much
Old 01-30-2024, 06:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
S500 4M L
Originally Posted by MBGuy2022
No dimming function for the passenger outside mirror.
Need to add:
The doors have to be closed so the interior light is not on when checking operation of the dimming function.
Now that it's dark outside take a flashlight to the inside mirror glass. You will see the light sensor in the glass. There are 2 circles in the center line of the mirror glass (one high up and one low). I believe the upper circle is the sensor. It can only be seen with the flashlight shinning on it. The mirrors will quickly change when the sensor is exposed to a bright flashlight.
The REAR window power sunshade can cause the system not to dim properly because it will block the headlamps from behind.
In the past (on W221) LHD I had also no passenger dimming, but got idea ! I bought mirror glass of RHD and door computer from RHD car. Installed and got dimming on all mirrors .
===================================
Action steps:
1. glass down
2. Remove tweeter
3. unscrew the two screws from the door armrest (behind the caps) holding the upholstery in place
4. gently (by hand without tools) support the door panel from underneath and, pulling back sensitively, unhook all the pins
5. support the panel on a cardboard box (there was no point in unhooking the cables from the lock etc.)
6. Unplug the cubes from the door computer (all different no chance of confusion)
7. Remove the mirror (three screws under the foam)
8. Remove mirror glass and disassemble donor into one piece
9. re-mount the wiring harness from the donor mirror to my own (I have a black car)
10. I additionally moved the motor left/right/up/down - it sometimes failed
11. put the mirror back in place, route the harness to the door ECU
12. unscrew (one screw and dowel pin) the door computer EU version
Fix EN door computer - same fasteners
14. fasten all connectors
15. connect SD (thanks Friend ! ) and check all mirror functions
16. fix door panel, tweeter housing

Done.
No computer coding from angol required just plug & play.
Fun time 2h.
Satisfaction 5+
=========================================

I have no time to repeat this in W222, but project is on the table
Old 01-30-2024, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,786 Posts
2024 S580
Issue there is the drivers side mirror is not convex. The optics of the driver and passenger mirrors are different.