S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

mercedes rain sensor code b221d49 code after windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 804 Likes on 524 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
Really curious to see what that signature looks like.
I wonder which glass you will get. The SA at the dealership told me there was a change in the glass and showed me a newer E63s that had glass with this same signature as on my new windshield. I wonder if "change" meant a change from MB or a change in the supplier/manufacturer. If your new glass has the old "Carl Benz" signature I'm going to go back and demand that I get the "real" glass.
I think you should Carlos, however, the issue is that most dealers will deny that the glass is any different, and #2 most of them actually don't know the difference (they only know that they are pulling OEM replacement, and that's true). But surely it is not (production) or factory-line glass. You'll need someone who is committed to pull something for you that is from the same supplier that fees production lines (the only time I was able to do that is with my first X7 in 2021 - but BMW folks have always went above and beyond... they got parts for me from the factory in SC where all BMW SUVs are actually made (but frankly I wasn't sure if OEM replacement in the case of BMW is the same as factory-part windshield, but given my bad W222 experience, I asked my PoC at BMW to do me a favor and pull something from where cars are manufactures, which he first said is a tough ask and against the standard rules, but it worked in the end and he did for me as a recurring client (without personal relationship with someone at the dealer it is a tough ask frankly)...... . It was the same exact reason I decided to live with my chipped glass in my 2nd W222 after the horrible IR and UV readings and also glare I noticed in my 1st W222 after windshield replacement. Sad thing is that there is one supplier in Asia who actually supplies nearly 80% of the windshields for all brands worldwide (glass business isn't an easy one)... and Mbenz decided to only invest in higher end glass, specifically made for factory lines, from another one and obviously with different specs. That's just what I concluded in the end ...

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 02:50 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

Received 318 Likes on 222 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by S_W222
I think you should Carlos, however, the issue is that most dealers will deny that the glass is any different, and #2 most of them actually don't know the difference (they only know that they are pulling OEM replacement, and that's true). But surely it is not (production) or factory-line glass. You'll need someone who is committed to pull something for you that is from the same supplier that fees production lines (the only time I was able to do that is with my first X7 in 2021 - but BMW folks have always went above and beyond... they got parts for me from the factory in SC where all BMW SUVs are actually made (but frankly I wasn't sure if OEM replacement in the case of BMW is the same as factory-part windshield, but given my bad W222 experience, I asked my PoC at BMW to do me a favor and pull something from where cars are manufactures, which he first said is a tough ask and against the standard rules, but it worked in the end and he did for me as a recurring client (without personal relationship with someone at the dealer it is a tough ask frankly)...... . It was the same exact reason I decided to live with my chipped glass in my 2nd W222 after the horrible IR and UV readings and also glare I noticed in my 1st W222 after windshield replacement. Sad thing is that there is one supplier in Asia who actually supplies nearly 80% of the windshields for all brands worldwide (glass business isn't an easy one)... and Mbenz decided to only invest in higher end glass, specifically made for factory lines, from another one and obviously with different specs. That's just what I concluded in the end ...
Thanks Rami!
I called a different MB dealer in the city and asked them about the glass. She was super nice about everyting! She explained that they only use OEM glass, but like you said, they get what MB says is factory glass. She went through all the windshields she has in stock and most of them had the same signature as the one I have. She said they also have some windshields that say "Daimler" instead of "Carl Benz". And she hasn;t seen a "Carl Benz" windshield in her shop in more than a couple years. So I guess with that I'll take her word for it and enjoy. What I've noticed is that my car no longer squeaks when I leave my driveway. Theres a sharp point between level gorund and the incline from my driveway; it puts a fairly strong torsional load on the car at that point. But since I got the new windshield installed, the car no longer squeaks at that juncture.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; Yesterday at 06:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 804 Likes on 524 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
..//.. I guess with that I'll take her word for it and enjoy...//..
You're right... Just enjoy it regardless - It's just a windshield after-all
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
2016 S550
Really curious to see what that signature looks like.

I wonder which glass you will get. The SA at the dealership told me there was a change in the glass and showed me a newer E63s that had glass with this same signature as on my new windshield. I wonder if "change" meant a change from MB or a change in the supplier/manufacturer. If your new glass has the old "Carl Benz" signature I'm going to go back and demand that I get the "real" glass.
Here it is: