S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

mercedes rain sensor code b221d49 code after windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2024, 07:34 PM

Received 318 Likes on 222 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
mercedes rain sensor code b221d49 code after windshield replacement

My windshield was replaced by a company that works in concert with the local MB dealer. I just got a call saying the car is back together but the rain sensor for the windshield wipers is throwing a code: rain sensor code B221d49. I know they replaced the windshield outside, I tracked my car several times during the day. They didn't have an open bay so they did it on the street outside the dealership. After replacing it, they took it back in for calibration, but that's when the code appeared. Is there a way to know if the car had this code prior to today or not? I haven;t had a chance to use the wipers much, but they worked fine yesterday.
Old 09-26-2024, 07:42 PM

Received 259 Likes on 194 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
OEM glass?
Old 09-26-2024, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
OEM glass?
Yes, OEM glass at the MB dealership. just got a follow up text. I told him that if the windshield was replaced outside it could potentially cause a problem. He told me it was done in his shop...BIG LIE! I tracked my car on the app and it was done at one of their side lots, around the corner from the service department. I'm trying not to get pissed.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:07 PM

Should they be able to find a stored code if there was a problem prior to today? I literally never touch the windshield wiper switch, it has always worked flawlessly, as far as I can remember.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:33 PM

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
I learned that when installing one of these sensors that if it comes uncalibrated, you can do it once in xentry because it will give an error code. No error code and you can’t reprogram it. Don’t get it wrong because as soon as the calibration error leaves it is locked until you can scn code it.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
I learned that when installing one of these sensors that if it comes uncalibrated, you can do it once in xentry because it will give an error code. No error code and you can’t reprogram it. Don’t get it wrong because as soon as the calibration error leaves it is locked until you can scn code it.
Thanks!! Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Unfortunaely I don't. I'm going to try, let me know if I'm close. sounds like you're saying that when they replaced the windshield it cause the rain sensor to "become uncalibrated". Then the tech tried to clear the code in Xentry. But because it threw a code it can't be simplay calibrated. At this point, he needs to SCN code it and that will fix it? Then after SCN coding, he needs to calibrate the rain sensor to the car. Is that even close to what you're saying? Please lay it out for me step by step..so I can tell the dealer how to do their job...
Old 09-27-2024, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
Thanks!! Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Unfortunaely I don't. I'm going to try, let me know if I'm close. sounds like you're saying that when they replaced the windshield it cause the rain sensor to "become uncalibrated". Then the tech tried to clear the code in Xentry. But because it threw a code it can't be simplay calibrated. At this point, he needs to SCN code it and that will fix it? Then after SCN coding, he needs to calibrate the rain sensor to the car. Is that even close to what you're saying? Please lay it out for me step by step..so I can tell the dealer how to do their job...
The way it worked for me was that I bought a sensor that listed the options that my car had. I think that is so that the sensor has the right amount of sensors in it. When I installed the sensor, it said it was uncalibrated. It allowed me to calibrate the sensor without scn online because it showed that fault code of uncalibrated. It is a rain and light sensor, and only the light sensor was uncalibrated for me.

The only option it allowed me to choose was the color of the glass.

After choosing the color of the glass, it was calibrated and working, still working a year later.

A few weeks later, when I was thinking about if I chose the right color of the glass, I went back into xentry to look around, but at that point, because there was no fault code I could not do any further calibration.

In order to do RE-calibration I would need to have had the ability to do SCN coding online.

I am by no means an expert, but always willing to try if the computer will allow it.

As a sidenote, I was looking into changing the color of the glass to see if the illuminated radio buttons would come on at a different outside light intensity than what I had chosen. On the 13 w212 63 the ambient lights can not just be set to on and rely on that sensor. I wanted them to illuminate earlier.

Hope that is clearer

Last edited by Baltistyle; 09-27-2024 at 07:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (09-27-2024)
Old 09-27-2024, 08:05 AM

We had the windshield replaced on our GLS about four or five months ago. The was a process to get OEM glass (that you have). With our car they brought it to some wall to calibrate the system (window place had the computer tools to do it). But, the car had to be indoors and at what ever wall with some pattern on it to set the system.
carlosinseattle (09-27-2024)
Old 09-27-2024, 08:48 AM

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
If they replaced the sensor with the glass it will have to be coded to the car and calibrated (I did this with @BenzNinja a few months back). If they reused the sensor then it could have been damaged during glass replacement. Either way it's their problem to fix!!
The following 3 users liked this post by dlafever:
BenzNinja (09-27-2024), OldManAndHisCar (09-27-2024), will_atl (09-27-2024)
Old 09-27-2024, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
The way it worked for me was that I bought a sensor that listed the options that my car had. I think that is so that the sensor has the right amount of sensors in it. When I installed the sensor, it said it was uncalibrated. It allowed me to calibrate the sensor without scn online because it showed that fault code of uncalibrated. It is a rain and light sensor, and only the light sensor was uncalibrated for me.

The only option it allowed me to choose was the color of the glass.

After choosing the color of the glass, it was calibrated and working, still working a year later.

A few weeks later, when I was thinking about if I chose the right color of the glass, I went back into xentry to look around, but at that point, because there was no fault code I could not do any further calibration.

In order to do RE-calibration I would need to have had the ability to do SCN coding online.

I am by no means an expert, but always willing to try if the computer will allow it.

As a sidenote, I was looking into changing the color of the glass to see if the illuminated radio buttons would come on at a different outside light intensity than what I had chosen. On the 13 w212 63 the ambient lights can not just be set to on and rely on that sensor. I wanted them to illuminate earlier.

Hope that is clearer
Thanks, I understand better now. I was told by somenoe, I can't remember who it was but I think it was the auto glass company I chose, that as long as the car is not turned on while changing the windshield that the sensors won't need recalibration. But even if the ignition is in the ACC position during that process the sensors would need to be recalibrated. I think somewhere in the process something went wrong. Never heard about different colored glass. I'm also wondering if the glass might be different. Also, I know my car had original glass up to this point, but I wonder if they ordered the right windshield. I have every option but I don;t have a heated windshield. I wonder if they put a windshield with the heating elements in my car.

Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
We had the windshield replaced on our GLS about four or five months ago. The was a process to get OEM glass (that you have). With our car they brought it to some wall to calibrate the system (window place had the computer tools to do it). But, the car had to be indoors and at what ever wall with some pattern on it to set the system.
I know the car was outside for several hours. I asked the SA if the windshield replacement was done outside or inside. He said he didn't know. But later he said it was inside, but only after I told him that if the car was driven in between, that could be the problem.
Old 09-27-2024, 08:25 PM

FYI, picked up my car from the dealership. They told me the auto glass company didn't re-install the rain sensor properly after exchanging the windshield. They went ahead and corrected it, and will deal with the auto glass company about the problem. I should have poured water on the windshield to test it, but I was in a rush to return home. I'll double check tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by carlosinseattle:
Baltistyle (09-27-2024), will_atl (09-29-2024)
Old 09-27-2024, 09:54 PM

Sounds like the right resolution!
Old 09-29-2024, 12:21 PM

Yes, however when picking up the car I noticed the glass looks different. It no longer has the old "Carl Benz" signature like the old windshield. It says "Mercedes" in a completely different font from before, thicker lettering. I asked the SA if this is in fact OEM glass and he assured me it is. I looked at an E63 that was parked in the service bay and it had the newer looking insignia on the glass. I'm surprised I haven't heard about this prior to now on this forum.
Old 09-29-2024, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 804 Likes on 524 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Yes, however when picking up the car I noticed the glass looks different. It no longer has the old "Carl Benz" signature like the old windshield. It says "Mercedes" in a completely different font from before, thicker lettering. I asked the SA if this is in fact OEM glass and he assured me it is. I looked at an E63 that was parked in the service bay and it had the newer looking insignia on the glass. I'm surprised I haven't heard about this prior to now on this forum.
Only factory glass has that Carl Benz signature. Replacement glass, even if bought from Mbenz directly, won’t have that same signature. I went through this same process myself with my 1st W222. I never believed that the replacement OEM glass was as good as the windshield that came with the car. I have a very high-end IR and UV glass meter; the readings were so inferior with the OEM glass replacement, compared to the original once came from factory. I tried to debate all of that with my SA at that time, there was nothing they can do cause the glass that Mbenz offers for replacement was only the one they gave me but they did admit that it’s not by the same manufacturer that provides parts for new cars assembly. The signature was not my only baseline, it was actually the IR and UV readings that first triggered my investigation. The new glass also was not as clear as the factory one at night (there was more hue or glare from inside at night) and same under some light conditions during the day. The glass no longer feels like a naked area as with the original one. The only thing I made sure to keep when I got my 2nd W222 was the windshield despite the rock chips. Just my observation.

Luckily it was Mbenz dealer that handles my windshield replacement so I didn’t have any errors after service was done. Some dealers have their own service tech/team to replace windshields.

Last edited by S_W222; 09-29-2024 at 05:37 PM.
carlosinseattle (09-29-2024)
Old 09-29-2024, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by S_W222
Only factory glass has that Carl Benz signature. Replacement glass, even if bought from Mbenz directly, won’t have that same signature. I went through this same process myself with my 1st W222. I never believed that the replacement OEM glass was as good as the windshield that came with the car. I have a very high-end IR and UV glass meter; the readings were so inferior with the OEM glass replacement, compared to the original once came from factory. I tried to debate all of that with my SA at that time, there was nothing they can do cause the glass that Mbenz offers for replacement was only the one they gave me but they did admit that it’s not by the same manufacturer that provides parts for new cars assembly. The signature was not my only baseline, it was actually the IR and UV readings that first triggered my investigation. The new glass also was not as clear as the factory one at night (there was more hue or glare from inside at night) and same under some light conditions during the day. The glass no longer feels like a naked area as with the original one. The only thing I made sure to keep when I got my 2nd W222 was the windshield despite the rock chips. Just my observation.

Luckily it was Mbenz dealer that handles my windshield replacement so I didn’t have any errors after service was done. Some dealers have their own service tech/team to replace windshields.
Had I known, I would have driven with the old glass even longer. I didn't have any visibility or sensor problems, just an ugly crack along 60% of the width of the windshield.
S_W222 (09-29-2024)
Old 09-30-2024, 09:36 AM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
If you have an S Class, do NOT use Safelite. There are 9 different OEM windshields for the S Class (depending on the number of options installed at the factory). Your insurance company will try to force a 3rd party windshield to be used. The Safelite replacement @$1,800 and the OEM installation of the correct MB new windshield @$4,700. Part of this $3,000 is the usual MB higher price for everything MB does. Your dealer will use a genuine "Carl Benz" windshield specifically manufactured for the VIN of your S Class. You need to demand OEM replacement from your insurance company. Your insurance company will contest your initial attempt for the OEM replacement. They will make it sound like you can't use anyone except Safelite. Demand to speak to a supervisor and then their supervisor and probably a third supervisor. Persist. Your Insurance provider will eventually agree to the OEM replacement but they will do everything imaginable to wear you down.
Old 09-30-2024, 09:53 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Unless you have Amica ( like me) They're not the least expensive but they do what you're asking them to do, no comments ! It is everything OEM !
I had to deal with them and I would never go to a different insurance company !
Old 09-30-2024, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Originally Posted by fun33
If you have an S Class, do NOT use Safelite. There are 9 different OEM windshields for the S Class (depending on the number of options installed at the factory). Your insurance company will try to force a 3rd party windshield to be used. The Safelite replacement @$1,800 and the OEM installation of the correct MB new windshield @$4,700. Part of this $3,000 is the usual MB higher price for everything MB does. Your dealer will use a genuine "Carl Benz" windshield specifically manufactured for the VIN of your S Class. You need to demand OEM replacement from your insurance company. Your insurance company will contest your initial attempt for the OEM replacement. They will make it sound like you can't use anyone except Safelite. Demand to speak to a supervisor and then their supervisor and probably a third supervisor. Persist. Your Insurance provider will eventually agree to the OEM replacement but they will do everything imaginable to wear you down.
While everything you say may be true, the suggestion that Safelite will not supply the correct glass for your car is not correct.

My windshield was replaced by Safelight. I had to supply my VIN so that they could source the correct windshield. It does have the IR-rejecting coating, has the same bronzy color in the sun, is dual-pane (noise reduction), has the cut-outs for toll transponders top & bottom of windshield center, and the required camera points for the Driver's Assist package. They recalibrated everything, and all functions work as before (auto wipers, ILS+ headlights, Distronic, emergency braking, etc. I'm a pretty picky person, and I was completely satisfied with the product and their service. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Old 10-01-2024, 04:22 PM

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
2016 S550
Originally Posted by S_W222

I had my windshield replaced about two months ago, through a third party windshield replacement company. They said they had to order the OEM windshield from the dealer, it came with the same Carl Benz signature. The only difference was that it wasn’t the same company that manufactured the glass than the one from factory.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
I had my windshield replaced about two months ago, through a third party windshield replacement company. They said they had to order the OEM windshield from the dealer, it came with the same Carl Benz signature. The only difference was that it wasn’t the same company that manufactured the glass than the one from factory.
I have new OE glass in the GLS...it has the exact t same signature insignias as the original windshield
Old 10-02-2024, 01:01 AM

Insignias on my new windshield

Can you take a picture of your new windshield and post it. I've attached pics of what the name and the information looks like on my new windshield. I won't be happy if this is in fact an aftermarket windshield.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 10-02-2024 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 10-04-2024, 03:55 AM

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
2016 S550
Can you take a picture of your new windshield and post it. I've attached pics of what the name and the information looks like on my new windshield. I won't be happy if this is in fact an aftermarket windshield.

Looks like same manufacturer as yours. If it has the Mercedes star, it’s genuine glass (oem). I’m not sure why yours had the Mercedes script but mine is Carl Benz, I’ll take a pic of the signature tomorrow. I thought I took a pic but must’ve forgotten.
Old 10-04-2024, 07:57 AM

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320

Looks like same manufacturer as yours. If it has the Mercedes star, it’s genuine glass (oem). I’m not sure why yours had the Mercedes script but mine is Carl Benz, I’ll take a pic of the signature tomorrow. I thought I took a pic but must’ve forgotten.
I have the exact same as yours, with the sassy Carl Benz signature. Just replaced in May of 2023, about to be replaced again due to a crack cause by flying rocks on the freeway.

Old 10-04-2024, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 759 Likes on 564 Posts
GLE 580
Here's a great video explaining how rain sensors work. It's worth watching.

Old 10-04-2024, 01:58 PM

Really curious to see what that signature looks like.

Originally Posted by dlafever
I have the exact same as yours, with the sassy Carl Benz signature. Just replaced in May of 2023, about to be replaced again due to a crack cause by flying rocks on the freeway.
I wonder which glass you will get. The SA at the dealership told me there was a change in the glass and showed me a newer E63s that had glass with this same signature as on my new windshield. I wonder if "change" meant a change from MB or a change in the supplier/manufacturer. If your new glass has the old "Carl Benz" signature I'm going to go back and demand that I get the "real" glass.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: mercedes rain sensor code b221d49 code after windshield replacement