W223 news, rumors, articles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by bkdc
Competition is good but the interior still looks pretty spartan. Definitely not luxurious.
I'm gonna respectfully disagree. The interior is minimalist but still looks very modern and attractive, and if the prototype materials make it to production, the interior will look and feel much better than any Tesla and should be pretty on par with most luxury brands with its use of LED lighting, leather, alcantara, aluminum and open-pore/natural woods. Even the toggle switches and scroll knobs on the steering wheel have serious thought into the look and feel of operating them, and they even included a physical volume knob and toggles for temp and fan controls, as well as the steering wheel controls because they know that tactile feel is important in a luxury vehicle.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by js_cls
I'm gonna respectfully disagree. The interior is minimalist but still looks very modern and attractive, and if the prototype materials make it to production, the interior will look and feel much better than any Tesla and should be pretty on par with most luxury brands with its use of LED lighting, leather, alcantara, aluminum and open-pore/natural woods. Even the toggle switches and scroll knobs on the steering wheel have serious thought into the look and feel of operating them, and they even included a physical volume knob and toggles for temp and fan controls, as well as the steering wheel controls because they know that tactile feel is important in a luxury vehicle.
The interior is much better than a Tesla, but nowhere near S-Class quality. To me it is not good enough for me to want to give up my Panamera Turbo S for one of these. I'll wait for the EQS.

There are several things which look cheap to me:
1) Door Panels. No stitching on the top part, too many materials. Large flat expanses which remind me of econobox cars. Lots of cloth. Doesn't look premium at all. Compare it to the Taycan door panel with the leather and wood trim.
2) Ambient lighting seems minimal compared with Mercedes, Audi or BMW.
3) Lack of stitching. Mentioned this already - but the extension of deviated contrast stitching on leather throughout the cabin - dash, seats, doors, is important. The level at which they have done it here is like a Base model E-class without the leather upgrade options.
4) No vegan leather option which is important in this segment
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (11-12-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
The interior is much better than a Tesla, but nowhere near S-Class quality. To me it is not good enough for me to want to give up my Panamera Turbo S for one of these. I'll wait for the EQS.

There are several things which look cheap to me:
1) Door Panels. No stitching on the top part, too many materials. Large flat expanses which remind me of econobox cars. Lots of cloth. Doesn't look premium at all. Compare it to the Taycan door panel with the leather and wood trim.
2) Ambient lighting seems minimal compared with Mercedes, Audi or BMW.
3) Lack of stitching. Mentioned this already - but the extension of deviated contrast stitching on leather throughout the cabin - dash, seats, doors, is important. The level at which they have done it here is like a Base model E-class without the leather upgrade options.
4) No vegan leather option which is important in this segment
I'm surprised you like the Taycan interior, I found it to be very cheap, especially the thorough use of plastic in the cabin, the Panny interior is much better (although there are still some areas which could improve in my opinion). I personally love the use of Alcantara (cloth) as it breaks up the materials and adds to the variety in design, and the wood and fabrics are gorgeous. Its clean and minimalist and matches the exterior nicely, it doesn't need extra details added. I never claimed it to be better than the S-Class, but to be a luxurious interior which I would definitely say it is, much more interesting than anything BMW or Audi is doing. As for stitching I believe they didn't put it on the top of the door panel as the aluminum piece used across the dash that extends to the door panel is used to divide/break up the use of alcantara and leather, and would look cluttered having stitching on top of the design lines, it is still full leather on the top of the door panel. Also there is a Vegan leather option as the website lists "PureLux" as a leather alternative.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The numbers that Lucid is putting up are very impressive to say the least and the interior design is well above any Tesla. I do like the display configuration and the seating appears quite nice (on pics) especially the upcoming rear seat config (see pic).

The interior has an Architectural feel to it both from the design and material selection. Love the glass roof but don't like the alternating seat colors or any fabric in the car. That reminds me of those cheap Google home devices. The rest appears fine but anything from a new company is a bit suspect.
Safety, reliability, quality, fit and finish, service, support and spare part availability in case of accidents.
But I am happy to finally see some movement on non-Chinese EV's and a sedan nonetheless. Was tempted yesterday to place a deposit and still may...

Old 11-10-2020, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
new Maybach spy pics:

https://www.motor1.com/news/453418/2...s-class-spied/
Old 12-01-2020, 12:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Prince Badr Bin Saud of Saudi Arabia got his 223 S500 a few days ago. I wasn't planning on getting a black S Class again but after seeing his with 21" wheels I'm quite sure I know how I'm going to spec mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by UrBusted:
declo2000 (10-15-2021), MBNUT1 (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 02:03 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Prince Badr Bin Saud of Saudi Arabia got his 223 S500 a few days ago. I wasn't planning on getting a black S Class again but after seeing his with 21" wheels I'm quite sure I know how I'm going to spec mine.

That petrol station is probably his too
The following 2 users liked this post by hyperion667:
declo2000 (12-03-2020), UrBusted (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 02:16 PM

Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S
MBZ likes to give the "First" car to someone of importance. In this case, Prince Badr Bin Saud of Saudi Arabia. Back in 2014, the first W222 S65 sedan that arrived in the U.S. was sold to Kobe Bryant. I happened to see it at Fletcher Jones. (It was delivered to him the same day or next day after it arrived). It was a beautiful, fully loaded specimen. I wonder who in the U.S. will be the first to receive the W223 Sedan?
Old 12-01-2020, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,747 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Now we know it has model and 4Matic badges lol
Old 12-01-2020, 03:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
S400
These are so expensive even prince could "only" get S500. I'd think Maybach special edition would be more appropriate.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by VKS400
These are so expensive even prince could "only" get S500. I'd think Maybach special edition would be more appropriate.
He's probably got several on order, look at his car collection
https://supercars.agent4stars.com/po...ar-collection/
Old 12-01-2020, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by UrBusted
He's probably got several on order, look at his car collection
https://supercars.agent4stars.com/po...ar-collection/
He will only use the S500 when one of the wives sends him out for a loaf of bread and quart of milk.......
Old 12-01-2020, 08:54 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
He will only use the S500 when one of the wives sends him out for a loaf of bread and quart of milk.......
.....and a stick of butter
Old 10-10-2021, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
W223 S-Class Lands on Wards Auto's 10 Best Interiors for 2021

Multi-Sensory S-Class Lands Again on 10 Best List
Originally Posted by Wards Auto
The 2021 Wards 10 Best Interiors are being revealed in random, non-alphabetical order one per day until Oct. 15. This is the third winner profile. Winners will receive their trophies Nov. 16 during Automotive TechWeek in Novi, MI.

Until Mercedes-Benz develops a flavor profile for its vehicle interiors, we’ll have to settle for experiencing its all-new ’21 S-Class sedan by touch, sight, sound and smell.

Even without tasting it, the S580 sedan (pictured below, left) is a multi-sensory feast, right down to the Air Balance cabin fragrance spritzer, the Burmester 4D surround-sound system and the custom massage to sooth one’s troubles away.

And, of course, visually the S-Class interior is stunning, whether captivated by the pinstriped instrument panel, the swirling rainbow of ambient lighting, the augmented-reality head-up display, the hot red leather (pictured below) used for the first time in an S-Class or the vertically oriented central display screen that can be viewed in 3D.

These are just a few reasons justifying this year’s placement of the Mercedes S-Class on the 2021 Wards 10 Best Interiors list.

Our judges were duly impressed by the fully redesigned S-Class, the sixth Mercedes-Benz to earn a 10 Best Interiors trophy since 2014.

That was the same year the prior-generation S-Class made the cut, setting a successful template for just about every new Mercedes to come, with two wide horizontal display screens set edge to edge, extending from behind the steering wheel to above the center stack.

With the new S-Class, only the horizontal digital instrument cluster remains directly in front of the driver, while an all-new vertical 12.8-in. (33-cm) OLED touchscreen cascades from the center stack and is more ergonomically positioned as a touchscreen that controls all manner of comfort, performance, navigation and infotainment options.

One could spend a half-hour sitting still in the driveway, fully engaged, sorting through scads of menus without frustration.

But there’s so much more to experience beyond screens. During media test drives this past summer, we also got to drive the S-Class with an all-black leather interior, as well as a cabin trimmed in caramel leather with black edge piping.

All were equally alluring in their own way, with perforated and diamond-pattern seating surfaces that fit like a glove, topped off with head restraints with attached soft pillows (pictured below) for ultimate comfort.

Approaching the car and opening a second-row door is like arriving at a swanky restaurant you’ve always dreamed of trying.

Legroom is more than ample, and the eye wanders to the artistic, brushed-aluminum Burmester speaker grate overhead, the fastidiously machined window switches, the metallic-trimmed grab handles overhead and the beautifully trimmed microsuede headliner.

Yes, our test car was expensive: $143,240, including about $30,000 in options. But this is Mercedes’ longtime flagship sedan for the executive set, and the pricing is competitive with rivals.

There are so many details that deserve a closer look, particularly the black-and-white pinstriping that is both modern and retro at the same time.

On the vehicle sticker, the feature is listed as a “Piano Lacquer Flowing Lines” option priced at $1,300. It’s a high-gloss surface that some might mistake for plastic, but it’s actually walnut veneer that has been precision cut or drilled so the underlying metal carrier shows through in horizontal lines before being filled with clear coat.

To watch these lines sweep across the instrument panel, then align perfectly as they make a make a gradual 90-degree turn down the door panel (pictured below) and armrest, is nothing short of remarkable.

Throughout the interior, metallic trim is warm and matte-finish, stitching is impeccably applied and high-grade carpet extends upward to door sills.

The overall design minimizes hard buttons for a visually soothing cabin while still creating an ideal user experience with touchscreen and steering-wheel controls that are intuitive and user-friendly.

We’ve soundly praised Mercedes over the years for its groundbreaking ambient lighting, pioneered in the last-generation S-Class. But this new version takes the lightshow to a new level.

At night, thanks to a seemingly infinite array of ambient colors, the S-Class cabin can be as visually engaging as a fireworks show or as soothing as a sunset stroll.

And in swirl mode, the colors change as they flow across the instrument panel, along the door trim and along the second-row door panel, too, enveloping every occupant (pictured below).

Judge Drew Winter was dazzled by the S-Class. “Mercedes is the benchmark for seamlessly blending luxury with the latest technologies,” he writes on his scoresheet.

Judge Bob Gritzinger admits the S580 4Matic we tested is expensive “but worth every penny.”

And Judge Christie Schweinsberg has the final word on her scoresheet: “I do think this raises the bar in the ultra-luxury sector.”

The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
ColeBlooded (10-10-2021), drose224 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
The W223 S-Class Wins Best Luxury Vehicle for Motor1's 2021 Star Awards

2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Wins Motor1 Star Award For Best Luxury Vehicle
Originally Posted by Motor1
Mercedes proves, yet again, the S-Class is at the top of its class.

Luxury is hard to define, especially in the automotive space. It takes more than soft leather and a stylish exterior to meet the mark. In our case, we looked at a number of different factors when deciding on the best all-around luxury vehicle as part of our first-ever Motor1.com Star Awards.

Comfort played a big role in that decision, naturally, but beyond that, the winner of this prestigious honor needed to have the proper equipment, offer sublime ride quality, and pack loads of style with equal amounts of tech. We should note that we limited our finalists this year to vehicles under $150,000 – so no Rolls-Royce, no Bentley, etc. Although most everyone associates luxury with the best of the best, it still needs to be somewhat attainable, at least for our purposes. Maybe we'll have a "Best Uber Luxury Vehicle" category next year… we'll see.

With that in mind, we narrowed down the category to the two highest-scoring luxury vehicles we drove this past year: The 2021 Genesis G80 and the 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Both of these cars meet our definition of luxury and offer style, technology, and comfort in spades. But after vigorous testing in the hills of Santa Clarita, California, we editors gave the S-Class the Motor1.com 2021 Star Award for Best Luxury Vehicle in a near-runaway victory. Here’s why.

The Contenders
The 2021 Genesis G80 ascended in epic fashion into the luxury space. The slinky design is nearly perfect to our eye, the cabin is luxurious, and with a bevy of beautiful and functional technology inside, the G80 scored 9.7 out of 10 possible points in our review.

While you can get the G80 with a base turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, good for a modest 300 horsepower, we opted for the more powerful twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 for our test. That engine offers a robust 375 hp and 391 pound-feet, which propels the G80 to 60 miles per hour in about 5.6 seconds. But the G80 isn't a performance car – it's all about the experience, with a fully independent suspension delivering a sublime ride and excellent stability.

The latest Mercedes-Benz S-Class, unlike the Genesis, builds upon years of luxury dominance with a new user interface, an elegant exterior design, and inarguably the most upscale cabin outside of a Bentley or Rolls-Royce. The high-end sedan also scored 9.7 out of 10 points in our review, meaning this would be an interesting rivalry.

The new MBUX infotainment setup features a 12.8-inch display that projects beautifully out of the center console. Things like "Hey, Mercedes" voice functionality and augmented-reality navigation carry over from previous Benzes, and the new rear-wheel steering gives the S-Class an impressive turning radius and strong performance in the mountains. So while it may be the "old-school" option of the two – by name only – the S-Class still wows us after all these years.

How We Tested
Our testing took us to the mountainous roads of Santa Clarita, California, where each editor spent four days driving the Genesis G80 and Mercedes-Benz S-Class back-to-back. During that time, we monitored things like ride quality, comfort, and performance, while taking styling and technology into account at the same time.

The driving route itself spanned several varied 25-mile loops starting at our base of operations. The path included plenty of twists, different types of pavement, and even a few dirt pullovers (you know, for due diligence). Both cars also served as popular support vehicles while testing other vehicles, ushering editors to and fro shooting locations or serving as shuttles for dinner runs.

Although these two cars are priced far apart – the Mercedes costs double the Genesis – we looked at the options sheet and determined which one offered the best value for its asking price. And while both the G80 and S-Class delivered on their promise of features, comfort, and performance, the Mercedes stood out as the winner after a number of days driving it.

Why The S-Class Is This Year's Luxury Vehicle
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class takes the iconic luxury formula and ups the ante. During our test, the one thing we noted immediately was the difference in ride quality between the two cars. The G80 has a slightly rougher but more responsive suspension, while the S-Class soaks up the pavement with cloud-like cushiness. Point to Mercedes.

The two cars drew relatively evenly in the seating department up front, both featuring high-quality leather on nearly every inch and ample support. But the S-Class has freaking pillows for headrests and a world-class massage system, while its ultra-comfy second row makes it the more luxurious option of the two, thanks to its ultra-supple leather and adjustable outboard seating positions, including a passenger-side seat that hides an available ottoman on certain trims. Although it still has a bench in the back, the folks sitting in the window seats are even more spoiled than those up front.

In terms of technology, the S-Class and its updated MBUX display proved nearly unbeatable – even as good as the tech inside the G80 was. Perched atop a gorgeous 12.8-inch central touchscreen, MBUX is even cleaner and easier to use for 2021, with a more streamlined home screen and better features. The screens responsiveness made navigation easier and faster, even if we liked the iPod-style clickwheel in the Genesis. Things like augmented-reality for the navigation and head-up display, the “Hey, Mercedes” voice command system, a bevy of ambient lighting options, and a truly stellar Burmeister audio system make the S-Class the easy choice.

And finally, performance. The Mercedes-Benz S580’s twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 makes 496 horsepower and 516 pound-feet, while the G80’s twin-turbo 3.5-liter engine only produces 375 hp and 391 lb-ft – there’s a 300-pound difference between the two, but at 4.4 seconds to 60, the Merc is half a second quicker than the G80. But power wasn’t the only thing that put the S-Class on top; with rear-wheel steering and a highly adaptive suspension, the S-Class felt more composed in the turns. Most importantly, the S-Class’ V8 is a paragon of refinement and smoothness while the G80’s V6 makes its presence more obvious in most situations.

All in all, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Genesis G80 are two of the best options in the luxury segment. These two sedans offer style, luxury, and performance in spades. But if you want the best of the best, Mercedes-Benz still does it better than anyone else.
drose224 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Why do you suppose that they compared the G80 instead of the G90? The S580 costs nearly twice as much.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 10-14-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Streamliner (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Why do you suppose that they compared the G80 instead of the G90?
I assume the awards are only comparing new for 2021 models. The Genesis G80 was new for 2021, the G90 had its facelift in 2019, and has an all new generation that should premiere next year.

Last edited by js_cls; 10-14-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I assume the awards are only comparing new for 2021 models. The Genesis G80 was new for 2021, the G90 had its facelift in 2019, and has an all new generation that should premiere next year.
Whatever, it was a ridiculous comparison. It should not be new models only. If one model kicks butt year in and year out, it should win.
MBNUT1 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Streamliner
If one model kicks butt year in and year out, it should win.
These models did kick butt, that was the point, they narrowed down to these two because they scored the highest in the luxury category for reviews. The G90 on the other hand only scored a 7.6 in its review in 2020.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
These models did kick butt, that was the point, they narrowed down to these two because they scored the highest in the luxury category for reviews. The G90 on the other hand only scored a 7.6 in its review in 2020.
And the BMW 7, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera??? The G80 compares favorably to them and to the W223? I think it was a ridiculous comparison. The G80 is not in the same league.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Streamliner
And the BMW 7, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera??? The G80 compares favorably to them and to the W223? I think it was a ridiculous comparison. The G80 is not in the same league.
Its like any other Car of the Year Awards, the vehicles will not always be of the same category, who knows what other vehicles were runner ups before it was narrowed down to these two. Even if was MB versus BMW or Audi, the S would’ve taken it as the last 750i scored 7/10, and the A8 had an abysmal 5.9/10, the Panamera has not been scored with Motor1.

The article already addresses the difference in classes:
Originally Posted by Motor1
Although these two cars are priced far apart – the Mercedes costs double the Genesis – we looked at the options sheet and determined which one offered the best value for its asking price. And while both the G80 and S-Class delivered on their promise of features, comfort, and performance, the Mercedes stood out as winner after a number of days driving it.

Last edited by js_cls; 10-15-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
It would have been pretty sad if the S class didn't beat the G80 for best luxury car title.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Mercedes to Launch Level 3 "Drive Pilot" Autonomous System in Germany Early 2022

Mercedes Drive Pilot Level 3 Autonomous System to Launch in Germany
Originally Posted by Mercedes Media
Mercedes-Benz is the first automotive company in the world to meet the demanding legal requirements of UN-R157 for a Level 3 system1. The German Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) has granted system approval for this on the basis of the technical approval regulation UN-R157, thus paving the way for offering such a system internationally2, provided that national legislation allows it. Germany has taken a pioneering role in this with the opening of the Road Traffic Act (StVG) for Level 3 systems in 2017. As a result, the first customers will be able to buy an S-Class with DRIVE PILOT the first half of 2022, enabling them to drive in conditionally automated mode at speeds of up to 60 km/h (37 mph) in heavy traffic or congested situations on suitable stretches of highway in Germany. The special DRIVE PILOT equipment takes the strain off the driver and allows them to perform ancillary tasks3 on the central display such as online shopping or sending e-mails in their in-car office. The system approval also applies to the EQS."For many years, we have been working to realize our vision of automated driving. With this LiDAR based system, we have developed an innovative technology for our vehicles that offers customers a unique, luxurious driving experience and gives them what matters most: time. With the approval of the authorities, we have now achieved a breakthrough: We are the first manufacturer to put conditionally automated driving into series production in Germany," says Markus Schäfer, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG, Chief Technology Officer responsible for Development and Purchasing. "With this milestone, we are once again proving our pioneering work in automated driving and also initiating a radical paradigm shift. For the first time in 136 years of automotive history, the vehicle takes over the dynamic driving task under certain conditions. At the same time, we are pleased that Germany is continuing its pioneering role in automated driving with this approval."

The technical approval regulation with which such a system can be certified did not come into force until the beginning of 2021. Since then, it can be implemented in Europe - an opportunity that Mercedes-Benz was quick and the first manufacturer to seize. With the opening of the Road Traffic Act (StVG) for Level 3 systems in 2017, Germany was the first country to create a legal basis for the intended use of these systems.

Mercedes-Benz is initially offering DRIVE PILOT on 8,197 miles of highway in Germany. Extensive test drives for this systems are already underway, for example in the USA and China. As soon as there is a national legal framework for conditionally automated operation in additional markets, the technology will be rolled out step by step.

DRIVE PILOT also has to cope with surprising traffic situations

On suitable highway sections and where traffic density is high, DRIVE PILOT can offer to take over the driving, initially up to the legally permitted speed of 37 mph. The controls needed for this are located in the steering wheel rim, on the left and right above the thumb recesses. When the driver activates DRIVE PILOT, the system controls the speed and distance, and effortlessly guides the vehicle within its lane. The route profile, events occurring on the route and traffic signs are correspondingly taken into consideration. The system also reacts to unexpected traffic situations and handles them independently, i.e. by evasive maneuvers within the lane or by braking maneuvers.

With LiDAR sensor and supplemental systems

DRIVE PILOT builds on the surround sensors of the Driving Assistance Package and comprises additional sensors that Mercedes-Benz considers indispensable for safe conditionally automated driving. These include LiDAR, as well as a camera in the rear window and microphones, particularly for detecting blue lights and other signals from emergency vehicles, as well as a moisture sensor in the wheel well. In addition to the sensor data, the DRIVE PILOT receives information about the road geometry, route profile, traffic signs and unusual traffic events (i.e. accidents or roadworks) from a digital HD map. This is made available and updated via a backend connection. The S-Class with the optional DRIVE PILOT also has supplemental steering and braking systems and a supplemental on-board electrical system, so that it remains maneuverable even if one of these systems fails and the safe handover to the driver can be ensured.

If the driver fails to take back control even after increasingly urgent prompting and expiry of the takeover time, i.e. due to a severe health problem, the system brakes the vehicle to a standstill in a controlled manner and with suitable deceleration. At the same time the hazard warning lights and, once the vehicle has come to a standstill, the Mercedes-Benz emergency call system is activated and the doors and windows are unlocked, to make access to the interior easier for any first responders.

High-precision positioning system

The top priority for Mercedes-Benz when introducing such a system is safety, which includes high demands on operational reliability. The exact location of the S-Class is determined using a highly accurate positioning system. This is much more powerful than conventional GPS systems. In addition, data obtained from satellite navigation are matched with sensor data and data from an HD map. Sensor data collected by LiDAR, camera, radar and ultrasonic sensors can be, for example, information on road geometry, route characteristics, landmarks or traffic signs.

The HD map provides a three-dimensional street and environment image. The map data is stored in back-end data centers and updated constantly. Each vehicle also stores an image of this map information on board, constantly compares it with the backend data and updates the local data set if necessary. The HD map thus offers stable positioning through a representation of the surroundings independent of i.e. shadowing effects or a soiled sensor. It also provides information on road geometry or special traffic events such as roadwork. This high-precision map differs from maps for navigation devices by, among other things, its meticulous focus on the inch by inch range and its detailed intersection and track model.

A powerful central control unit provides the necessary sophisticated software functions for conditionally automated driving. Within the framework of modern security architecture, important algorithms are calculated additionally.

Conditionally automated driving on suitable motorway sections where traffic density is high

During the conditionally automated journey, DRIVE PILOT allows the driver to take their mind off the traffic and focus on certain secondary activities, be it communicating with colleagues via In-Car Office, surfing the internet or relaxing while watching a film. In DRIVE PILOT mode, applications can be enabled on the vehicle's integrated central display that are otherwise blocked while driving.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 257 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Interesting product decision ... offer Drive Pilot only on BEV models or ICE also?

BTW, making the service only available on 8,197 mapped routes is pretty much an admission that full Level 3 autonomy will never be universal. To truly have Level 3 the car needs to interact with a known and approved roadway ... there isn't enough on-board logic and sensing capability to figure out every road under every condition, only the human mind has that much processing power. I've always thought the ideal Level 3 application would be something like an HOV lane where the car handshakes with a traffic manager of some kind and then truly takes over. You could get over into the "Level 3 lane" in LA and go all the way to San Diego while you nap, read, exercise or whatever.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The article says the demonstration was for an S-class and that the feature will be available also for the EQS. Would cover all S-class models, hybrid or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W223 news, rumors, articles