S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Please review my build order / S580 (US)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2021 | 12:45 PM

GLS, 535
Please review my build order / S580 (US)

Hi,
Ordering a new S580 and since we don’t have an online configurator yet in US, could please review / scrutinize my order? :-)
Goal is to have a car with all must have options :-)

P.S. I haven’t seen this Nautical Blue color in person but love the pictures. Taking a gamble there.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S580.pdf (3.4 KB, 289 views)
Old 04-08-2021 | 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Great build. Just my two cents, there's only two options I would personally change out, although you may prefer.

1) Piano Black Flowing Lines - This trim is beautiful, but will pick up a lot of dirt and marks easily. I noticed you also did the wood steering wheel. I would personally go with a more typical gloss burl walnut or gloss polar looking wood if you keep the wood steering, otherwise you get a piano black steering wheel pretty much which won't be as pretty in my opinion as a normal wheel or wheel with a normal looking wood trim. If you stick with flowing lines, its probably best without the wood steering wheel.

2) Night Package - I think the blacked out bottom pieces don't look as good as the normal chrome pieces. Almost a bit "aftermarket" in its looks, it just contrasts too much with the other chrome accents. Its an S-Class so chrome fits the body better in my opinion, especially with the gorgeous blue exterior color you're going for chrome will work better than black in my opinion.

Other than that looks good.
The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
declo2000 (04-13-2021), Streamliner (04-11-2021)
Old 04-08-2021 | 04:10 PM
Banned

2021 GLE 450
Congratulations! My only must haves would be Rear Wheel Steering (I see you got that) and no rear seat screens. I like the NOT all black interior too. In the pictures I haven't seen a new S-Class color that didn't look great.

I see the order lists it as a 2022. Since there does not seem to be any 2021's yet, are they skipping that year? The other quetions might be personal, but I'll ask anyway... How long before you can expect delivery, was there any negotiating available, and f you don't mind, what was the sticker price.

My wish is to get a new S500 when they become available. I hope it is EVERYTHING you expect it to be and more!
The following users liked this post:
declo2000 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-08-2021 | 08:39 PM

GLS, 535
Thanks a lot.
We are still pondering over the color. Only issue is that we haven't seen Nautical Blue. Other choice is Emerald Green. That we have seen and it's a beauty!
Do we really need E-Active Body in an S class? I mean in SUV, it does make sense but in a Sedan?

I do agree with you on Night package, Just don't wanna regret anything later. Most probably will remove that.

Agreed with the Wood Steering wheel. That AMG steering wheel is absolutely amazing! But I love those flowing lines. I can't seem to like anything else other than that trim.
What do you think about 20'' wheel? I really like the 21'' one but I am sucker for cushy and luxurious ride. Would 21'' make it more stiff?

It'd be a 2022 because Nautical Blue and E-Active Body control don't come in 2021.

The expected delivery is in July/August. There was no negotiation. Price is coming at: $142,000 for that build (I know, WTF, right? :-D)

Last edited by Stephane S; 04-08-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2021 | 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Stephane S
Thanks a lot.
We are still pondering over the color. Only issue is that we haven't seen Nautical Blue. Other choice is Emerald Green. That we have seen and it's a beauty!
Do we really need E-Active Body in an S class? I mean in SUV, it does make sense but in a Sedan?

I do agree with you on Night package, Just don't wanna regret anything later. Most probably will remove that.

Agreed with the Wood Steering wheel. That AMG steering wheel is absolutely amazing! But I love those flowing lines. I can't seem to like anything else other than that trim.
What do you think about 20'' wheel? I really like the 21'' one but I am sucker for cushy and luxurious ride. Would 21'' make it more stiff?

It'd be a 2022 because Nautical Blue and E-Active Body control don't come in 2021.

The expected delivery is in July/August. There was no negotiation. Price is coming at: $142,000 for that build (I know, WTF, right? :-D)
From photos of Nautical Blue, it looks very similar to that of Lunar Blue but maybe a tad darker in its hue. Can't go wrong with either but of course it'll be a guessing game to see what it looks like in person.

E-ABC is nice but I'm not sure how noticeable it is in such a big and heavy sedan, plus may not be the most reliable system, and is likely a very costly system to repair.

If you keep the flowing lines I just wouldn't option the wood steering wheel, as the steering wheel doesn't get the lines painted on it, it just gets gloss black which will be covered in your fingerprints.

20's will have a softer ride, but 21's should be fine, being that this is an S-Class and MB has tuned it purely for comfort in all forms. I think 21's will look better on a car of this size.
The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
declo2000 (04-13-2021), Stephane S (04-09-2021)
Old 04-08-2021 | 09:12 PM
Banned

2021 GLE 450

Thanks. Yes it is a LOT of money so you have to either wrap your head around it (if you can afford it) or not. I set a financial goal and exceeded it, so I want to do it, but there are so many other factors like color (for you), will it be dependable and how long before electric cars are mainstream. I stressed on my GLE450 until I received it, and it is fine, but I want luxury and think the S-Class will be great for many years. Waiting is a drag, but at least you wont get a 2021 at the end of the model year.

When I had my windows tinted, I got a GLE loaner that was Emerald Green. It was mostly dark, but sparkled in the daylight (very nice). Like I said, most colors I seen looked great on the S in pictures, but although my car and one before it are grey, I think I would look at white or silver for myself, but the blue and (I think) burgundy look nice too. Nice wheels will also set off the color.
Stephane S (04-09-2021)
Old 04-08-2021 | 10:20 PM

GLS, 535
Originally Posted by js_cls
From photos of Nautical Blue, it looks very similar to that of Lunar Blue but maybe a tad darker in its hue. Can't go wrong with either but of course it'll be a guessing game to see what it looks like in person.

E-ABC is nice but I'm not sure how noticeable it is in such a big and heavy sedan, plus may not be the most reliable system, and is likely a very costly system to repair.

If you keep the flowing lines I just wouldn't option the wood steering wheel, as the steering wheel doesn't get the lines painted on it, it just gets gloss black which will be covered in your fingerprints.

20's will have a softer ride, but 21's should be fine, being that this is an S-Class and MB has tuned it purely for comfort in all forms. I think 21's will look better on a car of this size.
I appreciate your comments, but just take a look at these pictures. I think this looks quite alright

declo2000 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-08-2021 | 10:31 PM

GLS, 535
Wow man, you went deep with your comments :-). This is such a bad financial decision :-/
But I do really want it !!!
Vegas Benz (04-08-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I appreciate your comments, but just take a look at these pictures. I think this looks quite alright
It is beautiful, I'd just not get it on the steering wheel. The dash isn't a problem, as you won't be touching it, but your hands will always be on that steering wheel which is just covered in gloss black. I also just prefer to grip leather over gloss plastic though, and like the design of the AMG wheel over the Luxury wheel. If you do keep it, just have a microfiber cloth always handy as your steering wheel will always be filthy and the gloss black tends to show micro-scratches and marks easily even shortly after ownership.
Stephane S (04-09-2021)
Old 04-13-2021 | 02:28 PM

GLS, 535
Originally Posted by js_cls
It is beautiful, I'd just not get it on the steering wheel. The dash isn't a problem, as you won't be touching it, but your hands will always be on that steering wheel which is just covered in gloss black. I also just prefer to grip leather over gloss plastic though, and like the design of the AMG wheel over the Luxury wheel. If you do keep it, just have a microfiber cloth always handy as your steering wheel will always be filthy and the gloss black tends to show micro-scratches and marks easily even shortly after ownership.
Just ordered.
This is the submitted Build.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S580.pdf (41.3 KB, 333 views)
Bossanov (05-10-2021)
Old 04-13-2021 | 03:34 PM

SL63
Just ordered.
that’s a great spec. Congrats!
Old 04-13-2021 | 04:44 PM
Banned

2021 GLE 450
Just ordered.
Congratulation! I hope it arrives on time and that you love it.

I went to the dealer last Monday and the agent said she couldn't order a 2021 or 2022 S500 at that time. Supposedly the dealer is getting a 2021 S-Class on Thursday for the day for training and I was told I can check it out. Hopefully I can order an S500 soon. I like your build except I want the 500 would probably go for White or Silver, but with the interior colors in the photos you posted.
Old 04-13-2021 | 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
Very nice build, can't wait to see the pictures when it gets here.
Old 04-13-2021 | 05:44 PM

GLS, 535
That's the first time I am buying an S (or a brand new car) so hopefully it will blow me away when it arrives

Still can't believe that MSRP has hit $142,000 but I couldn't fathom leaving any package when I am paying a base price of $116,000 on a new car. If I am spending, I better go whole nine yards!