Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S580
Starter Battery Critical

Hello,
for the second time I received a message from Mercedes Me:
Starter Battery Critical. S580: The state of charge of your vehicles starter battery is critical
And I have similar message on the dashboard.
The car is brand new and of course I have a question - someone also has such a problem? Any ideas?

I'll show it to dealership service department in few day and will post an update.
P.S. I also have message on dashboard:
Ambient Lighting Warning Support Inoperative
But the problem is that no one knows how to fix it now.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,931 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sorry to hear of the incident. Please report back on the dealer's findings. Do you think it is related to the 48V system?
Old 09-06-2021, 04:38 PM

S580
Originally Posted by chassis
Sorry to hear of the incident. Please report back on the dealer's findings. Do you think it is related to the 48V system?
Well, I hope not! I had a problem with 48V battery on my GLE580. It was terrible experience. It looks more like a problem with 12V battery. But why?
Old 09-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Do you drive your vehicle frequently and for every drive, are the trips short or long? (Just wondering if the vehicle had a chance to charge the 12V battery) Mercedes Me drains the battery fast because it constantly pings your vehicle's state and location to the MB servers for remote start and other related functions.
I also hope W223 don't have this 48V battery issue as well.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:47 PM

S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Do you drive your vehicle frequently and for every drive, are the trips short or long? (Just wondering if the vehicle had a chance to charge the 12V battery) Mercedes Me drains the battery fast because it constantly pings your vehicle's state and location to the MB servers for remote start and other related functions.
I also hope W223 don't have this 48V battery issue as well.
I drive a lot. Some trips are long, some short. Well, 1200 miles in 2 weeks.

Last edited by demeterum; 09-06-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:31 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
S580
I don't know if you saw my thread but my w223 is having trouble starting. After it sits for several minutes, it starts and runs for a few seconds then dies and won't start unless i iet it for several minutes. But I don't have the battery critical warning. I'm starting to think maybe some of us have a faulty battery?
Old 09-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by demeterum
I see, definitely not because it wasn't charged properly.
Originally Posted by ColeBlooded
I don't know if you saw my thread but my w223 is having trouble starting. After it sits for several minutes, it starts and runs for a few seconds then dies and won't start unless i iet it for several minutes. But I don't have the battery critical warning. I'm starting to think maybe some of us have a faulty battery?
This is concerning, I just remembered you posted about it earlier today, hopefully it is really just something simple like a software update and calibration will fix and not again a hardware issue.
The following users liked this post:
NCRTX (12-09-2022)
Old 09-06-2021, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Hello,

The car is brand new and of course I have a question - someone also has such a problem? Any ideas?
I got my S580 Thursday afternoon (about 4 days ago). I just returned from about a 20 mile drive and just received the same message from Mercedes ME just as I sat down. Yesterday I drove about 60 highway miles. This is not acceptable. The '21 GLE450 I traded in (had about 7 months) never had this issue, and the 2016 Jaguar I had previous for four years prior never had battery issues with the same driving habits.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:20 PM

S580
Originally Posted by Vegas Benz
I got my S580 Thursday afternoon (about 4 days ago). I just returned from about a 20 mile drive and just received the same message from Mercedes ME just as I sat down. Yesterday I drove about 60 highway miles. This is not acceptable. The '21 GLE450 I traded in (had about 7 months) never had this issue, and the 2016 Jaguar I had previous for four years prior never had battery issues with the same driving habits.
My GLE580 got problem with 48V battery after 1.5 month (2500 miles). Our problem exact with 12V battery. But it’s not cool anyway.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:22 PM

S580
My GLE580 got problem with 48V battery after 1.5 month (2500 miles). Our problem exact with 12V battery. But it’s not cool anyway.
What did the dealer have to fix?
Old 09-06-2021, 08:35 PM

S580
What did the dealer have to fix?
The dealer fixed it in 3 days. Some dealers doesn’t have this battery. There were no loaner cars. Other side of the problem - car stuck on Parking Mode. Well, Roadside Assistance (Urgently, not MBUSA) doesn’t found tow-truck with correct equipment. Service provider was awful! I fixed that situation but spent a lot of time and nerves and I hope we never get this problem on S-Class.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 S400d / 2018 Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid
Hello,

I'll show it to dealership service department in few day and will post an update.
P.S. I also have message on dashboard:

But the problem is that no one knows how to fix it now.
Hi guys,
i had the same problem with my s400d. Went to the dealer and they changed the battery. A few weeks later it started again.
Then I noticed a pattern…. It only gives the battery error if I leave the car unlocked. I can leave it locked for 2 weeks and there is no error. If I leave it unlocked for 30-40 mins then I get the battery error.

yesterday I went to the dealer again and there was an update for the 12/24 volt starter/battery computer. It was a 5 min job. I will let you know if it fixed the problem.
Talking to the technician yesterday, the told me
that from 5 2021 S classes sold by them in the last 5-6 months……. 4 came back with this problem. So far they changed batteries in all
of them. Mine is the first with the update…… fingers crossed.
SilberGrau57 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
MercedesMe needs to get messages: "Monthly Payment Failure. Buyer's Remorse is Critical"
onebigfamily53 (12-27-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 08:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Andi C
Hi guys,
i had the same problem with my s400d. Went to the dealer and they changed the battery. A few weeks later it started again.
Then I noticed a pattern…. It only gives the battery error if I leave the car unlocked. I can leave it locked for 2 weeks and there is no error. If I leave it unlocked for 30-40 mins then I get the battery error.

yesterday I went to the dealer again and there was an update for the 12/24 volt starter/battery computer. It was a 5 min job. I will let you know if it fixed the problem.
that from 5 2021 S classes sold by them in the last 5-6 months……. 4 came back with this problem. So far they changed batteries in all
So sorry to hear that all of you are (or were) facing these issues, for those who are still dealing with it, I wish you all good luck and the dealership to respond accordingly to have it all fixed and returned back to you, this is certainly ridiculous for a new car (especially at this calibre) and for a technology (12V battery, not talking about the 48V battery) that is beyond mature to be failing left and right in 2021.

Andi, hopefully that replacement lasts and it fixed it for you. Good luck as well.
demeterum, sorry to hear that you are again dealing with this after the GLE, hopefully this time the fix is done fast and the vehicle is returned back to you, Good luck.
Vegas Benz, were you able to start the car afterwards? Good luck.
ColeBlooded, I still too hope your problem gets solved soon by the dealership. Good luck.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 09-07-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:18 AM
Banned

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Andi C

After my post, I went to check on the car. I keep it in the closed garage unlocked. When I went out later, the Ambient lights were on inside the car at about 1/2 brightness. I restarted the car and shut it off again and exited. About a half hour later, same thing, so I locked the car and the lighting went off. I can't imaging the car must remain locked? While testing, I placed my key fob in the furthest location in my house to be sure I wasn't activating something before I walked through the door from the house to the garage.

Yes, but Andi above may be on to something. I think you should be able to leave the car unlocked if you want, and I think you should be able to disable the proximity mode if you want too.

SilberGrau57 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

After my post, I went to check on the car. I keep it in the closed garage unlocked. When I went out later, the Ambient lights were on inside the car at about 1/2 brightness. I restarted the car and shut it off again and exited. About a half hour later, same thing, so I locked the car and the lighting went off. I can't imaging the car must remain locked? While testing, I placed my key fob in the furthest location in my house to be sure I wasn't activating something before I walked through the door from the house to the garage.

Yes, but Andi above may be on to something. I think you should be able to leave the car unlocked if you want, and I think you should be able to disable the proximity mode if you want too.
I see, perhaps try putting the vehicle in standby mode (but not sure if it actually activates unless the vehicle is locked. Not sure if the vehicle is performing all sorts of functions like software updates while the vehicle electronics is idling (not the engine) when the vehicle is left unlocked for an extended period of time.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:19 AM

S580
So sorry to hear that all of you are (or were) facing these issues, for those who are still dealing with it, I wish you all good luck and the dealership to respond accordingly to have it all fixed and returned back to you, this is certainly ridiculous for a new car (especially at this calibre) and for a technology (12V battery, not talking about the 48V battery) that is beyond mature to be failing left and right in 2021.

Andi, hopefully that replacement lasts and it fixed it for you. Good luck as well.
demeterum, sorry to hear that you are again dealing with this after the GLE, hopefully this time the fix is done fast and the vehicle is returned back to you, Good luck.
ColeBlooded, I still too hope your problem gets solved soon by the dealership. Good luck.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:59 AM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
I think you should be able to disable the proximity mode if you want too.
You can’t. There is no setting for it.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry if this question I am about to ask seem dumb (because it is), for the proximity mode you guys are referring to, is it the keyless go and keyless start or are we talking about something completely different? If keyless go doesn't double pressing the lock key disable it?
Old 09-08-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Sorry if this question I am about to ask seem dumb (because it is), for the proximity mode you guys are referring to, is it the keyless go and keyless start or are we talking about something completely different? If keyless go doesn't double pressing the lock key disable it?
It’s not a dumb question especially of unaware if the context.
Yes, it’s regarding free key fob. When you are within approximate 10ft/3m the door handles will pop out. If door isn’t opened they’ll recede after a certain time.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
It’s not a dumb question especially of unaware if the context.
Yes, it’s regarding free key fob. When you are within approximate 10ft/3m the door handles will pop out. If door isn’t opened they’ll recede after a certain time.
Oh ya true, I forgot about the pop out handles. So that is what you guys are talking about. My bad thanks for explaining it to me.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Banned

2021 GLE 450
It’s not a dumb question. On standard style handles, you can be near the car and it will unlock when you put your hand behind the handle, and you can lock it by touching the outside of the handle. On the new S-Class, the handles are flush, so they have to pop out to open them. They also operate like the old handles in that you can touch the outside to lock or swipe across the outside to have them pop out. I *think* if there is no activity they automatically retract after about 30 seconds. I'm not sure if it automatically locks when it retracts?

Most of us keep the key in our pocket, so to test any of this requires regular tries, then storing the keyfob away from the car to test without the key. In my case, when I work in the garage, I see the handles open and retract at random because I am moving about near the car. Also, my home office is in the room directly above the garage where I leave my wallet and keys which is in range.

I get that the car needs to know when you are near by, but I would rather just swipe the handle to extend the handle rather then it doing it whenever I am near by.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

It’s not a dumb question. On standard style handles, you can be near the car and it will unlock when you put your hand behind the handle, and you can lock it by touching the outside of the handle. On the new S-Class, the handles are flush, so they have to pop out to open them. They also operate like the old handles in that you can touch the outside to lock or swipe across the outside to have them pop out. I *think* if there is no activity they automatically retract after about 30 seconds. I'm not sure if it automatically locks when it retracts?

Most of us keep the key in our pocket, so to test any of this requires regular tries, then storing the keyfob away from the car to test without the key. In my case, when I work in the garage, I see the handles open and retract at random because I am moving about near the car. Also, my home office is in the room directly above the garage where I leave my wallet and keys which is in range.

I get that the car needs to know when you are near by, but I would rather just swipe the handle to extend the handle rather then it doing it whenever I am near by.
Thanks so much for your detailed explanation! I remember forum member Sonic Boom (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8392527) explaining that the door handles will pop out with the swipe gesture even if key is not in pocket as long as the vehicle is unlocked.
As for the automatic retract I believe you are right because from the videos I seen they even retract the moment the car reviewer was about to open it after explaining the feature, one instance it even retract while the reviewer's hand is inside and once he pulled out his hand the handle retract immediately with force.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Found the video (same video) but I was mistaken, it was on an EQE:
This is the part that the handle retracted the moment the reviewer wanted to open the door (Jump to 8:36)
This is the part the the handle retracted while the reviewer's hand is inside the handle (Jump to 19:58)
Old 09-08-2021, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Look at your door jamb vin sticker for a 4 digit production date xx/xx. Many 223's were sitting for months before transport to the dealership. The resulting lot rot includes batteries and rusted brakes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starter Battery Critical