Thoughts on my 2021 S580

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
I just signed on to the MercedesME app as I remember being able to see the tire pressure there. It said Unknown for the tire pressure. Something else not working like it should.
It measures the pressure once the car is underway. Try checking the pressures in the screen (should be the drivers IP screen in the service menu) once you've been driving for a mile or so.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
According to the German market configurator, you could fit 18s on the 223 if you car didn't have the AMG Line. If the US car's the same, 18s and non RFTs would help the ride plus the wheels kind of look like the S680 Guard's

Old 10-24-2021, 01:26 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by Holson
According to the German market configurator, you could fit 18s on the 223 if you car didn't have the AMG Line. If the US car's the same, 18s and non RFTs would help the ride plus the wheels kind of look like the S680 Guard's
That's the first 223 I seen with normal door handles. They look fine, but Mercedes could have designed there own handles that are flush (and work per door) instead of copying Tesla. As far as the tires, I don't have room for a spare, so I think I need run flats. Also the 20 inch AMG wheels do look nice. When I have a chance I need to check the pressure and maybe after these wear down there might be some better options for other brand run flats.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I actually think those handles look better than the flush handles!
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (05-18-2022)
Old 10-26-2021, 03:17 PM

S580
A few more gripes...
Back to the door handles, if you exit and touch the handle to lock the car, it locks like it should. If you walk away to drop something off on one side away from the car and then walk back by your car to walk to go to another location on the other side, the proximity unlocks your car even though you are not going to the car, but just walking past it to another location. Now your car is unlocked just because you walked past it.

When you are driving very slow approaching a light, stop sign, or driveway, if there is even the slightest grade, when you take your foot off of the gas, the car starts to roll back. Most cars (even my previous 2021 GLE450) would not roll back unless there was a noticeable grade. I know when you take your foot off of the gas you expect you might need to put your foot on the brake to stop it from going forward because it is in drive, but you don't expect it to roll backwards. This is in scenarios where I am used to driving three other cars.

I've had backup cameras in my cars since my 2006 Lexus. This one is hard to see. I have the center screen brightness to max, but I think it tries to see too far away and nothing is real clear (compared to other cars, including a 2021 GLE). It may be acceptable, but is not as good as any other car I've driven.

This is a very expensive car and should not have these, and the issues in the original post above. It is still one of the nicest luxury cars available today and the quality seems fine, but most of my issues are operational and I don't think any of them are unwarranted gripes.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
A few more gripes...
Back to the door handles, if you exit and touch the handle to lock the car, it locks like it should. If you walk away to drop something off on one side away from the car and then walk back by your car to walk to go to another location on the other side, the proximity unlocks your car even though you are not going to the car, but just walking past it to another location. Now your car is unlocked just because you walked past it.

When you are driving very slow approaching a light, stop sign, or driveway, if there is even the slightest grade, when you take your foot off of the gas, the car starts to roll back. Most cars (even my previous 2021 GLE450) would not roll back unless there was a noticeable grade. I know when you take your foot off of the gas you expect you might need to put your foot on the brake to stop it from going forward because it is in drive, but you don't expect it to roll backwards. This is in scenarios where I am used to driving three other cars.
What would you expect the car to do if you approach it with no intention to get in? How should the car know that you are not going in? No real safety issue if that is what your were after, all Mercedes cars lock doors automatically after a while (was it 30 seconds or a minute) if doors are unlocked but not opened.

The second one must be from optimised fuel consumption. Why not activate brake hold in that scenario or actually at any scenario when stopping the car? Would be a huge waste to heat up the transmission oil with the torque converter. The car does not roll back if you start driving after stopping with brake hold.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:23 AM

S580
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
What would you expect the car to do if you approach it with no intention to get in? How should the car know that you are not going in? No real safety issue if that is what your were after, all Mercedes cars lock doors automatically after a while (was it 30 seconds or a minute) if doors are unlocked but not opened.

The second one must be from optimised fuel consumption. Why not activate brake hold in that scenario or actually at any scenario when stopping the car? Would be a huge waste to heat up the transmission oil with the torque converter. The car does not roll back if you start driving after stopping with brake hold.
The car does NOT lock after 30 seconds. The handles retract making you think it's locked, but you can swipe on the handle, they come out and you can get into the car (with our without the key fob). I often leave my key in the house if I don't intend to drive, but if I am in the garage and need to get something out of the car it opens with a swipe or the trunk opens if I pull on the release under the lid or switch inside. I would bet some owners think that when the handles retract that their car is locked.

When I am in drive I don't usually expect the car to roll back unless there is a noticeable grade. Steep grades yes, but I am stating my experience compared to other cars I've driven on the same roads and driveways.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
When it rolls back, is the engine start/stop on? My W222 doesnt do that but I have defeated the engine start stop. With the engine start/stop on I could see it would always roll back unless the brake hold were activated.

As for the door handles. I think it goes back to technology existing for technology's sake. These door handles are a great example of something designed to be cool over functional. The simplest, most elegant, safest and most secure method for opening a door is with an always available handle attached to a latch. That isn't something that technology is going to change. Personally I'm disappointed that Mercedes, a company that has never been this form over function way, would implement something like that that simply makes a car worse for the sake of making it look cool. Its like the stupid yoke steering wheel on the new Tesla Model S. It "looks cool", but everything else about it is a negative.

After the "wow thats cool" wears off, you're left with a feature that no longer impresses you but actually makes interfacing with your vehicle MORE difficult and less reliable. Great move.
Benz3928 (11-08-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The car does NOT lock after 30 seconds. The handles retract making you think it's locked, but you can swipe on the handle, they come out and you can get into the car (with our without the key fob). I often leave my key in the house if I don't intend to drive, but if I am in the garage and need to get something out of the car it opens with a swipe or the trunk opens if I pull on the release under the lid or switch inside. I would bet some owners think that when the handles retract that their car is locked.
I guess you need to have the car fixed unless you mean literally 30 seconds. I mentioned 30 or 60 seconds, reading the manual I realise it actually is 40 seconds.

My comment is only about doors remaining unlocked unintentionally, not promoting the new door handles in any way.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:22 PM

S580
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I guess you need to have the car fixed unless you mean literally 30 seconds. I mentioned 30 or 60 seconds, reading the manual I realise it actually is 40 seconds.

My comment is only about doors remaining unlocked unintentionally, not promoting the new door handles in any way.
Interesting. In my "garage" case, I never locked the door, so with the key it opens (handles extend) when nearby, or without the key, you can also use the swipe method. BUT IF you actually locked the door and happened to be near later it will extend the handles, but then relock if you never touched the handle. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-27-2021, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
We have proximity-based locking/unlocking with our BMW and the behavior is similar (minus the door handles). Personally one of my most liked convenience features. But in the event of working in the garage or the area with the key, the constant unlocking/locking/mirror folding/lights on/off is a minor nuisance. But I understand that this is how it has to work. Something I miss on our MB's...
Old 10-27-2021, 04:23 PM

S580
Originally Posted by Wolfman
But in the event of working in the garage or the area with the key, the constant unlocking/locking/mirror folding/lights on/off is a minor nuisance. But I understand that this is how it has to work.
I bought a 2-pack of these. They work perfect. There is a sleeve that isolates the key RF, and one in front that allows it to transmit.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-28-2021, 09:57 AM

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 Tesla S
Over the air corrections for two problems?

Loving my new S580 but I wish 2 things could be fixed with an update.
1. Traffic light view: I know how to turn this annoying, to me, feature off. But you have to go through the process each time you start the car.
This was confirmed when I called Customer Care.
2. Dash Cam: This very important feature must be reactivated each time you start the car.

I would think most owners agree that if you do or don’t want a feature activated, you shouldn’t have to go through a process every time you start the car to make that happen.
It’d be nice if MBZ corporate reads sites such as this to get customer feedback, or is there another way to give them feedback?
Old Rocker (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by sjdille
Loving my new S580 but I wish 2 things could be fixed with an update.
1. Traffic light view: I know how to turn this annoying, to me, feature off. But you have to go through the process each time you start the car.
This was confirmed when I called Customer Care.
Did you turn it off through the assistance menu in settings, or when the camera appeared on the screen?
Old 10-28-2021, 03:23 PM

S580
Originally Posted by js_cls
Did you turn it off through the assistance menu in settings, or when the camera appeared on the screen?
your reply was to sjdille, but I just went to the store, and before I left I went into the settings as in your post#2 in this thread. I turned Traffic Light View in the settings that you posted. The screen did not appear during the trip TO the store, but there was a red light count down on the Heads Up Display when that info was available (which was fine). After shopping, at the first intersection the Traffic Light View appeared again. As sjdille stated and confirmed, it is not a setting, but a way to turn it off for that trip, but turns itself back on the next time you start your car.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
your reply was to sjdille, but I just went to the store, and before I left I went into the settings as in your post#2 in this thread. I turned Traffic Light View in the settings that you posted. The screen did not appear during the trip TO the store, but there was a red light count down on the Heads Up Display when that info was available (which was fine). After shopping, at the first intersection the Traffic Light View appeared again. As sjdille stated and confirmed, it is not a setting, but a way to turn it off for that trip, but turns itself back on the next time you start your car.
Interesting, maybe try turning it on to "on request" versus automatic.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:07 PM

S580
Originally Posted by js_cls
Interesting, maybe try turning it on to "on request" versus automatic.
I tried both ways. Both turned off the options when you turned the first switch off.
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:37 PM

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 Tesla S
Iturned it off through the Assistance menu both changing the on off to off And from Automatic to On Request. It goes back to on and automatic when the car starts again.
Any ideas on the Dash Cam problem?
I turned it off both ways, but the traffic light pic still comes on after restart
Old 10-29-2021, 06:34 PM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
My pet peeves/first world problems:
-Latency of Apple CarPlay from when pressing a button until it actually changes (i.e. change track)
-Need gorilla arms to close door if it’s all the way swung out
-Reflection of center vents on windshield. And sometimes the reflection even appears on the traffic light view in center display!!
-Need to be at a complete standstill to activate trunk lock. So if pulling up to valet, can’t activate it as I’m driving up.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I think they made the right call on your last issue.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I think they made the right call on your last issue.
May I ask why?
Old 10-30-2021, 06:52 PM

S580
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
-Need gorilla arms to close door if it’s all the way swung out
There is a detent about 1/2 open. If you rest the door there, does it hold? Mine does sometimes, but barely. All open is a very long reach! Maybe after a year we will grow those gorilla arms!
Old 10-30-2021, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
May I ask why?
I just think that it is was a good idea to lock out the trunk opening if the car is moving. If not what speed is ok? What is the accuracy of that speed?
Old 10-31-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I just think that it is was a good idea to lock out the trunk opening if the car is moving. If not what speed is ok? What is the accuracy of that speed?
I would prefer as I’m pulling up the the valet parking, at very low speed of course, to be able to lock the boot by entering the password and re-entering it.
Currently, I have to pull up to the valet and when the car is at a standstill I can proceed with entering g password. The valet person has to wait a few seconds while I’m doing this and holding him up and any car behind me.
Yes, yes, I know, total first world problem
Old 11-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 s580, 2019 s63, 2022 genesis gv70
I have a question for the s580 owners:

What are these buttons in glove box

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my 2021 S580