S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Digital Light RetroFit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 11:20 AM

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Digital Light RetroFit

Has anyone in the US attempted to retrofit the Digital Light lamps yet? I've seen them for sale and was wondering if anyone had did this already and if there was any benefit.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
It recognizes national borders and changes its capabilities on the fly; you'd have to nerf the GPS link in the programming so it wouldn't just be a mechanical change. Would be a great add though...
The following users liked this post:
TSA (02-02-2023)
Old 05-30-2022, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by crabman
It recognizes national borders and changes its capabilities on the fly; you'd have to nerf the GPS link in the programming so it wouldn't just be a mechanical change. Would be a great add though...
Really, thats super interesting. So depending on the locality different functions will work/not work. Huh.. It's strange though if you goto configure the new C class within the MBUSA website you can now add digital light. So apparently there offering it on the C class builds but not s class. Very dissapointing.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Yeah, I was hoping it would show up on 23 but if it's there neither I not the dealership could prove it. Going back to the location aware angle; our Canadian friends will see their lights gimped as soon as they cross the border. Brave new world and all that...
Old 05-30-2022, 12:49 PM

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
S450 4Matic
Oh yes, digital lights can be retrofitted, its a very simple surgery and very commonly done here in Mainland China.

Expensive yes - I was quoted around USD 7,500 for an OEM set (with professional installation included). But the functions were all there, and the installation process was quite straight forward.

Digital lights on the W223 are usually known as 'Meteor Shower Headlamps' among Chinese consumers, named after the light show they give when you wake the car honestly, most of the guys who got it retrofitted was just after this visual show off, rather than the functional aspects.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rw594
Oh yes, digital lights can be retrofitted, its a very simple surgery and very commonly done here in Mainland China.

Expensive yes - I was quoted around USD 7,500 for an OEM set (with professional installation included). But the functions were all there, and the installation process was quite straight forward.

Digital lights on the W223 are usually known as 'Meteor Shower Headlamps' among Chinese consumers, named after the light show they give when you wake the car honestly, most of the guys who got it retrofitted was just after this visual show off, rather than the functional aspects.
I'm thinking with Vediamo or something similar the GPS requirements can be turned off, just like my developer friends do with VIM, Carplay, etc. I will speak to my friend this week and ask him about this possibility, if possible I will get a set and test for the US market. Does anyone know if the road projections work in any country like they display on the video?

Old 06-01-2022, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
The Maybach has the digital lights standard in the US. As does the EQS. Are they functional at all in the US over the regular matrix headlights?
Old 06-01-2022, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
The Maybach has the digital lights standard in the US. As does the EQS. Are they functional at all in the US over the regular matrix headlights?
This was my exact thought especially when I saw them available for new C class and EQS. Im super surpised that they are not offering for the S class being that its the flahship

Old 06-01-2022, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
The fancy stuff isn't working on a 22 EQS; I tried this morning. Or at least neither I nor the salesman could figure out how to make it work. That was the lower model, didn't have a 580, perhaps part of a package or only on the 580? Or disabled...
Old 06-01-2022, 05:14 PM

The fancy stuff isn't working on a 22 EQS; I tried this morning. Or at least neither I nor the salesman could figure out how to make it work. That was the lower model, didn't have a 580, perhaps part of a package or only on the 580? Or disabled...
Is any of the fancy stuff working anywhere? The highlighting of people, the displaying of pictures or highlighting road signs?
Old 06-01-2022, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Not that we could see; it was however a quick spin around the block: I was in trying to finalize my build, asked about it, the salesman didn't know, that precipitated a brief investigation.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:13 PM

Not that we could see; it was however a quick spin around the block: I was in trying to finalize my build, asked about it, the salesman didn't know, that precipitated a brief investigation.
You know I think we all saw the videos MB put out and it really looked bananas. However, Im not so sure that alot of that stuff works, capable yes, actually functioning I dunno. I do feel if the coding is there more then likely it can just be enabled, this isnt very hard to do with Mercedes if you have the right tool
Old 06-01-2022, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I know the Audi guys have been getting these turned on with some models. Porsche also; mine has the matrix lights and I'm about to trade it in without having ever seen them. It would certainly be nice to get whatever capability we do have; getting tired of lagging behind our more, ahem, enlightened friends, from across the pond.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
Is any of the fancy stuff working anywhere? The highlighting of people, the displaying of pictures or highlighting road signs?
Not sure if it is any fancy stuff but all of the Digital light features do work for us in Europe. The real problem currently is that in the North we have no night driving, lights do not turn on before going to bead.

The Digital lights are a bit over-advertised as multi-beam leds already give the most important features with the same resolution! The megapixel resolution only covers projections. Partial high beams already have sufficient (angular) resolution with multi-beam leds.

I have no idea if projections and other Digital light features have been activated for the US.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
This has been covered before, but lower resolution enhanced Multi-beam headlight feature for the S223 will be available in the US when MBUSA and US DOT get there act together. When it's finally approved you will be able enable it ($$$.$$) thru the Mercedes Connect App Store on your phone.

Should be a free upgrade as it's a safety related feature were as all the hardware & software is already present on the vehicle and will be able to be activated directly over the air. Maybe that's why they are dragging their feet with the US release, MB bean counters want to charge for it plain & simple and MB lawyers are awaiting outcomes of similar safety related vehicle lawsuits claiming existing safety related equipment already installed on a vehicle should be enabled and was indeed payed for with the original purchase price.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz
This has been covered before, but lower resolution enhanced Multi-beam headlight feature for the S223 will be available in the US when MBUSA and US DOT get there act together. When it's finally approved you will be able enable it ($$$.$$) thru the Mercedes Connect App Store on your phone.

Should be a free upgrade as it's a safety related feature were as all the hardware & software is already present on the vehicle and will be able to be activated directly over the air. Maybe that's why they are dragging their feet with the US release, MB bean counters want to charge for it plain & simple and MB lawyers are awaiting outcomes of similar safety related vehicle lawsuits claiming existing safety related equipment already installed on a vehicle should be enabled and was indeed payed for with the original purchase price.
In my Mercedes Connect Services it shows "Adaptive Highbeam Assist" <Available until further notice> which is super odd to me, is this some special function that they would charge for? I could see charging for the Digital Light if they had to pull down the data for the signs and whatnot OTA as there would need to be data transfer but why would adaptive highbeam assist be classified as a ME feature lol
Old 06-14-2022, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Sounds like that guy from AJ services might be getting close to cracking the EQS and the S; once that happens we should be able to get most of the stuff. At least that's what I'm taking away from having made it to the headlights section of the owners manual. It differentiate between what you get with and without the digital lights.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:54 AM

Sounds like that guy from AJ services might be getting close to cracking the EQS and the S; once that happens we should be able to get most of the stuff. At least that's what I'm taking away from having made it to the headlights section of the owners manual. It differentiate between what you get with and without the digital lights.
Please keep us informed, I'm definitely looking to have this retrofitted if they can crack the functionality

Old 06-14-2022, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Will do; assuming MB wanting to charge us an annual fee to use the hardware we already bought and paid for I'd be inclined to go that way just to give it to the man.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:39 PM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Originally Posted by rw594

if one could retrofit the hardware, how would one hack the MBUX system??? For what I understand, it’s not simple as with BMW systems that are easily jacked and reconfigured.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:48 PM

I have Digital Lights on my W223 but some (many?) of the features are disabled such as the projections on the road. The attached pic is from an MB promotional video. Some the features are missing such as “Supporting Projections” and “Projections when opening/closing” (even though I do get some sort ight show when I approach/start the car.

BTW the promo vid, among others, can be found at the link https://moba.i.mercedes-benz.com/bai...highlight.html

Old 06-14-2022, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
RJ Automotive, I was confusing a couple different outfits. I'm in contact with them now via email. I'll report back anything I learn. You sure you have the digital lights Sonic? They say digital light right on them, you would be the first I've heard of with them fitted on their car.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:08 PM

RJ Automotive, I was confusing a couple different outfits. I'm in contact with them now via email. I'll report back anything I learn. You sure you have the digital lights Sonic? They say digital light right on them, you would be the first I've heard of with them fitted on their car.
I would be interested to see how they hack MBUX, not because of DL but possibly other features. I’ve searched the net tirelessly and yet to find ANYONE who can (publicly anyhow) hack MB system.
And yes, I’m certain I have DL (option code 318), note I’m not in US.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Ok, didn't realize you weren't in the US. Would have been great news for me if you had them and were in the US because it would imply I'm getting them on my car. Dealer tells me there is no word as to whether 23s will receive them. I'd still like to get what I can with the ghetto lights so I've been searching around.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:22 PM

Ok, didn't realize you weren't in the US. Would have been great news for me if you had them and were in the US because it would imply I'm getting them on my car. Dealer tells me there is no word as to whether 23s will receive them. I'd still like to get what I can with the ghetto lights so I've been searching around.
From what I understand (from this great forum!) is that’s it’s not a MB issue but rather Dept of Transportation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Digital Light RetroFit