S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Centre Tunnel Wrap in leather + MB Leather Supplier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 07:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Centre Tunnel Wrap in leather + MB Leather Supplier

My mom is thinking of replacing both her FL W222 and C217 with a W223 (and something else) but the exposed carpeting in the centre transmission really bothers her (and me)

Has anyone considered finding a custom upholstery shop to manufacture stitched leather fascia panels that sit where the arrows are in the pic below (X223 interior shown just for reference); it should end where the yellow arrow is.

Would it be better to have the panel sit on top of the existing panel is or remove the existing panel and wrap that piece in leather; would it also be too thick and affect the ambient lighting strip and what would be a good mounting option or would it even be possible?

Also, does anyone know what leather supplier or tannery MB sources their nappa leather from in order to have the closest match.

I think this is a make or break thing for her as minor as it sounds but essentially a 30% price increase over a loaded 222 plus 25% tax for vehicles over 150k in BC, Canada and the new luxury tax from Trudeau, the final cost all said and done excluding discounts is around 290k CAD, so around 223k USD so she's expecting more for the price, not less; she's currently on vacation in Malaysia now and was invited to the BMW i7 launch, mentioning it looks slightly better in person with the interior quality and touch points much better than the 223 but still aesthetically worse.

She also doesn't mind paying a bit more for a Continental or Flying Spur and to have an upgrade but prefers the way the 223 drives even though a S Class essentially is like the Camry of Vancouver (unfortunate but true, but doesn't detract from the vehicle it is).

Last edited by 5634MG; 08-21-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:12 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
'the Camry of Vancouver'

That had me rolling hahaha!

MB's take it or leave attitude can be annoying. Imagine if MB had extras/options liker Porsche! You could have the leather where you want it and more
Old 08-29-2022, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,845 Posts
2024 S580
Any good upholstery shop should be able to do this for you and match the leather well. I would live with it a while though and see if it still bugs you after a time.
The following users liked this post:
martinlarose (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by SW20S
Any good upholstery shop should be able to do this for you and match the leather well. I would live with it a while though and see if it still bugs you after a time.
Thanks; do you happen to know if it could just sit on top easily or even if the existing trim is to be removed, it can be easily done without dismantling the majority of the interior on the 223 (which would not be desirable on a new vehicle)?
Old 08-31-2022, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
'the Camry of Vancouver'

That had me rolling hahaha!
lol but yeah, essentially every fifth person here has an S Class and the same people usually get their nannies a C or E / equivalent SUV.

Compared to the 7, the S Class sells in a 10:1 ratio; BMW Canada was offering a 20k corporate incentive in the last two years exclusive of any further dealer discounts, on a newly facelifted vehicle. Our dealer over there offered us a SWB 750i at 52k off sticker last year; keep in mind this was a fully loaded vehicle with both individual paint and leather (Nardo Grey on Fiona Red), B&W, dynamic handling package, etc. She passed on it. The A8 is essentially sells at a 50:1 ratio; I've only seen 3 in the past 7 years.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
MB's take it or leave attitude can be annoying. Imagine if MB had extras/options liker Porsche! You could have the leather where you want it and more
Yes, I wish there were more a la carte options like Porsche (I really like the stitched steering column but all my friends find it to be frivolous and insist it's never a touch point for them) or at least make it available through their Manufaktur program. In the past, when there was actual Designo, they also had another tier above called the AMG Performance Studio which basically let you customize anything; I remember there was this older ML63 with the entire interior trimmed in nappa leather.

Last edited by 5634MG; 08-31-2022 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:47 AM

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
S450 4Matic
Not sure if this helps, but I found this badge in one of the cusions that came with my car, which is made of the same nappa leather as the rest of my interior.

The badge shows Ukrainian origin. Which explains the recent availability problem with the exclusive nappa option.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,845 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by 5634MG
Thanks; do you happen to know if it could just sit on top easily or even if the existing trim is to be removed, it can be easily done without dismantling the majority of the interior on the 223 (which would not be desirable on a new vehicle)?
To do it right most upholstery shops are going to want to remove the piece and remove the carpet if possible...
Old 09-07-2022, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
W221 & W124
Originally Posted by rw594
Not sure if this helps, but I found this badge in one of the cusions that came with my car, which is made of the same nappa leather as the rest of my interior.

The badge shows Ukrainian origin. Which explains the recent availability problem with the exclusive nappa option.

I'd be able to coat that piece with Napa leather without issue, if you want to remove it and send it to me. I could also source a new part from the dealer as I have a great relationship with my local Indy, and can likely even get it at cost. It's also a great opportunity to throw in the possibility of adding some contrast. I'd stray away from the majority of automotive leather companies, as I have had horrible experiences with them myself. The majority of them don't use approved automotive heat and humidity grade adhesive which is a huge issue, and they love to get adhesive all over the pieces and then say "it's apart of the process". I mainly craft small leather goods for people: wallets, key holders, clutches, etc. So I have no choice to pay attention to detail! I've also upholstered my previous 740iL BMW with a suede headliner and had a long and tedious learning process when it comes to adhesives!