S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Anyone else experiencing a harsh ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 S500
Anyone else experiencing a harsh ride?

Got my 2022 S500 just 16 days ago, car was smooth as butter on road. Went out of town for 4 days and received critical battery alerts and since then the car just seems out of wack. I went from not feeling anything on the road to feeling the tinniest thing I drive over, vehicle shifting also when from smooth to harsh (up and down) as well as the engine cranking hard when turning on. Car currently has 587 miles.

Am I going crazy here or is this normal??
Old 12-22-2022, 11:21 PM

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts
It can happen sometimes if I am gone for a week and if its cold outside. But if the car is new the battery needs to be charged and to do that you need to put more miles on it. Check the tire pressure and look at the inside of the gas flap to see the normal load tire pressure and remove some air from the tires. The tires are new and need to be broken into. Should smoothen out as you drive it more after its been parked for a while. The engine and transmission are also very new, Keep driving it and you will notice the difference.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Yeah, mine has been screwy since I had it in for ceramic coating and they ran the battery down. The dealership says faults are expected with a low battery but some owners continue experiencing them after the battery gets back to full charge. Said it can be fixed and mine goes in next week. Also said be very careful about not letting the battery go down; it seems the problem isn't uncommon.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:24 AM

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Funny you guys mention this. I've seen the same thing with my car and just attributed it to low battery and EABC system maybe not responding properly since it uses the 48V system. I can tell you I've noticed when the EABC is working the ride is much smoother, but lately all the speed bumps, etc that usually it counteracts it barely does it anymore. Also, I've been getting a crap ton of messages about safety systems not working or being disabled. End of next month was the earliest I could get in with a loaner so hopefully they can fix some of this stuff then, I had to fight with them to change my flat tire the same day and then forget about what a nightmare the warranty process was UGH
Old 12-23-2022, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
Funny you guys mention this. I've seen the same thing with my car and just attributed it to low battery and EABC system maybe not responding properly since it uses the 48V system. I can tell you I've noticed when the EABC is working the ride is much smoother, but lately all the speed bumps, etc that usually it counteracts it barely does it anymore. Also, I've been getting a crap ton of messages about safety systems not working or being disabled. End of next month was the earliest I could get in with a loaner so hopefully they can fix some of this stuff then, I had to fight with them to change my flat tire the same day and then forget about what a nightmare the warranty process was UGH
I’m right there with you. My EABC has not produced what I would call a truly comfortable ride since I got the car earlier this year. I have the 19” wheels which I have fitted with non-run flat tires and the ride quality over less than ribbon smooth city streets does not come anywhere close to the way my three, Magic Body Control equipped W222’s rode. At highway speeds it rides nice, but at speeds under 50mph, over bumps & typical city street imperfections, the car is not smooth and can be jarring.

NOW, with all that said, my EABC has stopped working over speed bumps & such. I get this message all the time:

Car goes in next week. Anyone know WHERE this “camera” is located? I’ll shout out to our wonderful KONIGSTIGER: Might you know where this camera is?

Last edited by Streamliner; 12-23-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:42 AM
TSA

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’m right there with you. My EABC has not produced what I would call a truly comfortable ride since I got the car earlier this year. I have the 19” wheels which I have fitted with non-run flat tires and the ride quality over less than ribbon smooth city streets does not come anywhere close to the way my three, Magic Body Control equipped W222’s rode. At highway speeds it rides nice, but at speeds under 50mph, over bumps & typical city street imperfections, the car is not smooth and can be jarring.

NOW, with all that said, my EABC has stopped working over speed bumps & such. I get this message all the time:

Car goes in next week. Anyone know WHERE this “camera” is located? I’ll shout out to our wonderful KONIGSTIGER: Might you know where this camera is?
top of the windshield , on the front grille. i also had that problem , just a little wipe fixed the problem.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by TSA
top of the windshield , on the front grille. i also had that problem , just a little wipe fixed the problem.
I know about that camera, but you are saying that this is the same camera that scans the road for the EABC system? I was under the impression that there was at least one other camera, either under the car or somewhere much lower to scan the road, no?
Old 12-23-2022, 01:23 PM

2022 S500
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
Keep us updated, I just picked up my car from service, there was a fault code in the battery but they did not replace just charged it back up but the car still drives bad. Seems now I have to give the car more throttle to get it to move and have to brake harder. Service technician said nothing out of the ordinary after going for a drive but thats total BS.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PlatinumEdition
Keep us updated, I just picked up my car from service, there was a fault code in the battery but they did not replace just charged it back up but the car still drives bad. Seems now I have to give the car more throttle to get it to move and have to brake harder. Service technician said nothing out of the ordinary after going for a drive but thats total BS.
Does your car have the EABC optional suspension? Just curious.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:40 PM

2022 S500
Does your car have the EABC optional suspension? Just curious.
It does not, its just strange that before the critical battery issue I was amazed at how smooth the car and now I dread driving it every day.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It does not, its just strange that before the critical battery issue I was amazed at how smooth the car and now I dread driving it every day.
This is of great interest to me, because I have been giving a lot of consideration to getting an S500 without EABC when I get rid of the 2022 S580 I have. If the standard AirMatic cars are prone to having ride quality issues as well,
that worries me. PLEASE let us all know how this matter ends up getting resolved and best of luck to you.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:38 AM

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Try this dynamic ride combination as your personal preference. Set all personal settings to Sport Plus+ (if equipped) or Sport mode except leave the ride quality (shock absorber icon) in Comfort Mode.

I like the snappier feel of the engine and transmission with stiffer steering & brakes all with a plush ride during normal driving. The vehicle seems to better sense if your heavy on the gas pedal, heavy on the brakes, hitting high speeds or maneuvering abruptly and stiffens up the suspension all by itself if needed.

The Airstruts & 20" Korean run flat tires on ours felt like they broke-in around 5K miles.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
For the suddenly lazy throttle and brakes it seems to reset everything if you drive in each mode a little bit and then go back to comfort. Not sure why it works but someone else recommended it and it works for me. Mine is back to normal after fixing the air pressure in my tires. It appears that Mrs Mercedes gets angry when you let her pressure get out of whack.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:33 AM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
I know about that camera, but you are saying that this is the same camera that scans the road for the EABC system? I was under the impression that there was at least one other camera, either under the car or somewhere much lower to scan the road, no?
the windshield camera is the thing which does the job. the front cam is for 360 degree view.
Old 12-25-2022, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TSA
the windshield camera is the thing which does the job. the front cam is for 360 degree view.
Well, I live in Southern California. No snow or mud to cover the camera and even on mornings with a heavy dew, I squeegee off the windshield. And THEN, I still get the warning. Are you absolutely sure the EABC is controlled by the windshield camera and if so, HOW do you know this?

Old 12-25-2022, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Are you showing any faults in the service menu? My tire pressures went down enough to set faults while I was overseas and the car disabled most of the tech, lane keeping, active braking, etc. Just wondering if you're being gimped due to an unrelated fault; my tire pressures were just one pound under and I lost most of the active stuff.
Old 12-25-2022, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
An extract from WIS, describing the multifunction camera (at the windshield) being used for road scanning for suspension purposes.

The following users liked this post:
TSA (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by crabman
Are you showing any faults in the service menu? My tire pressures went down enough to set faults while I was overseas and the car disabled most of the tech, lane keeping, active braking, etc. Just wondering if you're being gimped due to an unrelated fault; my tire pressures were just one pound under and I lost most of the active stuff.
Mercedes-Benz: The Best or Nothing!
Old 12-25-2022, 11:11 AM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
An extract from WIS, describing the multifunction camera (at the windshield) being used for road scanning for suspension purposes.

i remembered this now lol , one time my car was so dirty that the camera got covered in mud. the car was having a harsh like just like the guy did. the car was not performing a good performance on the bumps , feeling like im driving on sport + mode.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:13 AM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
Well, I live in Southern California. No snow or mud to cover the camera and even on mornings with a heavy dew, I squeegee off the windshield. And THEN, I still get the warning. Are you absolutely sure the EABC is controlled by the windshield camera and if so, HOW do you know this?

anything could make you give this error. even a small bug on the windshield. could you please clean the whole vehicle? or just wipe all the cameras on the vehicle also the front radars.
Old 12-25-2022, 12:02 PM

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Got my 2022 S500 just 16 days ago, car was smooth as butter on road. Went out of town for 4 days and received critical battery alerts and since then the car just seems out of wack. I went from not feeling anything on the road to feeling the tinniest thing I drive over, vehicle shifting also when from smooth to harsh (up and down) as well as the engine cranking hard when turning on. Car currently has 587 miles.

Am I going crazy here or is this normal??
Hi there, for future reference can you please name your location and temperatures you experienced this at. A new vehicle not driven in this extreme cold weather can sap the batteries and the majority of tires prefer above 40 degrees or are hard, chunky, and can rip apart.

Additionally, are you aware these high tech computer laden vehicles need full charge always and trickle chargers to keep them up when not in use especially when freezing and especially when new and not fully charged.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:03 PM

2022 S500
Originally Posted by Baltistyle
Hi there, for future reference can you please name your location and temperatures you experienced this at. A new vehicle not driven in this extreme cold weather can sap the batteries and the majority of tires prefer above 40 degrees or are hard, chunky, and can rip apart.

Additionally, are you aware these high tech computer laden vehicles need full charge always and trickle chargers to keep them up when not in use especially when freezing and especially when new and not fully charged.
Live in Los Angeles, CA, at the time when critical battery came up it was in 50s (F), no extreme weather out here.
The following users liked this post:
Baltistyle (12-30-2022)