S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

2023 Genesis G90 MT Car Of The Year!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 08:12 AM

Received 167 Likes on 138 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
A couple of months ago I took my 2016 LS 460 for an oil change, after a couple of hours my service advisor is calling me saying "your car is out of warranty but it has low miles, the clock is defective but Lexus will replace it free of charge " and they did !
A month ago my wife takes the same car for an oil change too and she tells them she will expect there in the lounge ( good coffee, etc). After an hour the car is ready and guess what, they're telling them it is free because the time taken to have it done.....
Mercedes somebody ?
Old 01-12-2023, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,845 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
No way!

With MB, if you have an issue that did not “throw a code,” at the dealership, a big, tall, blonde guy in a white shop coat comes out to talk to you. He says “Vee fine nossing vrong mit dis very fine Medcedes, YOU mus be doing somsing vrong!” If you question this, even a tad, the blonde guy nods to the two big guys who have appeared out of nowhere and are now standing behind you. They are wearing full length, black, leather trench coats. The blonde guy says “take him, take him” and you are disappeared into the MBUSA never-never land, never to be heard from again.

With Lexus, if you complain about a sound that is about as loud as a butterfly flapping it’s wings, the service advisor will bow to you and say “We are so very sorry to have disappointed you. Your salesman will be committing Hara Kiri shortly. We are sending your car by 747 airfreight, back to Japan, where it will be completely disassembled and each part will be blueprinted. In the meantime, here are the keys to a brand new LS for you to drive, until your car is ready. Is there anything else we can do for you?” He bows three more times and invites you to have a cappuccino, hand made by a Geisha Girl in the guest lounge and she asks if there is ANYTHING else she can do for you.

I realize that I have gone overboard here, but honestly, my service experiences with Lexus and MB have been somewhat proportional to my pageant noted above.
I think a lot of this depends on the dealer. I have never found Lexus overly accommodating when it comes to trying to solve warranty issues, I have found that they react largely like you describe the Mercedes people reacting, they love to say something is "operating as designed" and send you on your way. I even had a Lexus dealer damage a car once, and I had an open and hostile argument with the service manager in the open service lane trying to get them to repair it, and this is a dealer where I had been a customer for 16, 17 years. I have tried 4 or 5 different dealers and some are better than others, but I always found Lexus unwilling to deal with troubleshooting issues under warranty.

Mercedes is also difficult in that regard...oddly enough the most accommodating for me has been Chrysler.

Last edited by SW20S; 01-12-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
In the PNW the dealers are mostly OK but none are great; I say that based on things others say they get with dealership X from brand Y that I don't. I think it's the lack of competition, you don't have many choices in the area and that's never good.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:54 PM

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 S560 4Matic Anth Blue
When I bought my first Lexus in 2001 (the year of the big refresh), I got home (after the gourmet smorgasbord) and realized that the seat belt fabric was twisted. The buckles were very tight and near impossible to allow me to un-twist the material. Next time I was near the dealer, I stopped and explained the (minor) issue. They fell all over themselves with apologies and whisked the car away to the shop for immediate repair. I ate free Dove bars and gourmet snacks in the waiting area while this catastrophe was resolved. I thought that was the end of it, until a few weeks later I received a thick letter from corporate Lexus. Inside, I read the additional apologies and was directed to the cardboard insert contained within. That was a $50 gift card from American Express to further ease my pain of the awful seat belt fiasco. That was my first experience with Lexus Customer Service and it continued.

My wife actually volunteered to take the car in for service in the future because of the treatment she always received. She really enjoyed the amenities and the joy only a female gets out of picking out the color of the loaner vehicle she was going to drive. I don't know if it's still like that, but my Mercedes service experience, while decent, has never risen to that level.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by flint350
When I bought my first Lexus in 2001 (the year of the big refresh), I got home (after the gourmet smorgasbord) and realized that the seat belt fabric was twisted. The buckles were very tight and near impossible to allow me to un-twist the material. Next time I was near the dealer, I stopped and explained the (minor) issue. They fell all over themselves with apologies and whisked the car away to the shop for immediate repair. I ate free Dove bars and gourmet snacks in the waiting area while this catastrophe was resolved. I thought that was the end of it, until a few weeks later I received a thick letter from corporate Lexus. Inside, I read the additional apologies and was directed to the cardboard insert contained within. That was a $50 gift card from American Express to further ease my pain of the awful seat belt fiasco. That was my first experience with Lexus Customer Service and it continued.

My wife actually volunteered to take the car in for service in the future because of the treatment she always received. She really enjoyed the amenities and the joy only a female gets out of picking out the color of the loaner vehicle she was going to drive. I don't know if it's still like that, but my Mercedes service experience, while decent, has never risen to that level.
Yeah, I was a Lexus customer between 1998-2020, and I never experienced that level of service at all. The service was very good, but very similar to Mercedes. No gift cards or people falling all over themselves, I even had an LS that was in the shop for the first 2 weeks I had it for an infotainment issue, they delivered it back to me, damaged, with the issue unsolved after 2 weeks. I suggested a simple SD card replacement might solve it and it did, making all of that unnecessary. I received nothing for that experience, zero. I even asked, and they never even followed up. I paid $250 a week in lease payments to drive an ES loaner. Then there was the time they damaged the car when it was in for service, tried to fix it and damaged it further and we had to have a shouting match to get them to refund me the $200 service cost and just let me fix the car myself.

Nothing special at all, in my experience.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
When Lexus of Westminster, here in Orange County built their new service facility, back around 2001 or so, they built a lounge that was the best I had ever seen. They had a uniformed young lady attending it and she would make the coffee drinks, toast your bagel, etc. Brand new RX350 loan cars were always in abundance and I was never asked to put gas in before I returned the loaner. I always got my cars serviced there and I always looked forward to it. Taking my MB’s in for service is pretty much like going to the dentist for me.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:08 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
Please forgive/excuse my retardation....but how can that be the 2023 car of the year? It's only day 12 of 2023.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,816 Likes on 2,398 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Please forgive/excuse my retardation....but how can that be the 2023 car of the year? It's only day 12 of 2023.
Good question, I guess they meant the 2023 model year G90 is MT car of the year of 2022 since it came out in 2022?
Old 01-13-2023, 12:57 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Good question, I guess they meant the 2023 model year G90 is MT car of the year of 2022 since it came out in 2022?
Looking back, MotorTrend named Lucid Air as Car of the Year 2022, back in Nov 2021.
Well, it seems Lucid Air did not really 'make it' last year and is, kind of, still struggling with sales.
Anyway, I guess MotorTrend seems to like make 'prediction' and look into the future. Maybe this is why they call themselves the trend of motor?
Old 01-13-2023, 08:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by bishop64
Looking back, MotorTrend named Lucid Air as Car of the Year 2022, back in Nov 2021.
Well, it seems Lucid Air did not really 'make it' last year and is, kind of, still struggling with sales.
Anyway, I guess MotorTrend seems to like make 'prediction' and look into the future. Maybe this is why they call themselves the trend of motor?
Wait, so they actually mean 2023's car of the year and not just the model year being 2023 and car of the year of 2022 instead?
Old 01-13-2023, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
No guys lol, this is the 2023 model year, all the 2023s were out in the fall. Its the 2023 model year car of the year. Its not a prediction of sales success, its the car that they think is the most excellent, biggest improvement, etc. Sadly many great cars never sell very well and vmany mediocre cars sell a ton. Think Camry, the world's most mediocre car...and best selling car. I wouldn't drive a free Camry...
Old 01-13-2023, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
When Lexus of Westminster, here in Orange County built their new service facility, back around 2001 or so, they built a lounge that was the best I had ever seen. They had a uniformed young lady attending it and she would make the coffee drinks, toast your bagel, etc. Brand new RX350 loan cars were always in abundance and I was never asked to put gas in before I returned the loaner. I always got my cars serviced there and I always looked forward to it. Taking my MB’s in for service is pretty much like going to the dentist for me.
They used to have full service snack bars in Lexus dealers here too, fountain sodas, real coffee bars... they are gone and replaced with a countertop with stuff you can get yourself, a fridge with sodas, etc...same as Mercedes and all the other luxury dealers. My Mercedes dealer has tons of new GLA/GLB/GLE/C CLass/EClass loaners. I was there one time and they didn't have a loaner as I had requested, they pulled a new C Class off the lot, scraped the stickers off of it, put a loaner tag on it and gave it to me. Just added it to the fleet. Lexus when out of cars rents you a car from Enterprise.

Now with that said, there is a Mercedes dealer here that has NO loaners and directs people to rent cars from Enterprise. I don't use that dealer for that reason. Overall though, I have been treated like a "high roller" way more at Mercedes.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
It's not looking into the future. Using this car as an example they were making 23s in August; what you can get now is (for the most part) all the 23 you're going to get in 23. Although I don't know when production started on the G90 the same is true there, the 23s are out, there is nothing more. It's true with most cars/models/years outside of late availability here and there, such as may be the case with the S63 if it makes it over this spring as a 23 for a few months of production.

They're not predicting anything, in automotive terms 23 has been here since the fall of 22.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
2023 model year starts in August/September 2022.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:33 PM

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 S560 4Matic Anth Blue
Originally Posted by SW20S
Yeah, I was a Lexus customer between 1998-2020, and I never experienced that level of service at all. The service was very good, but very similar to Mercedes. No gift cards or people falling all over themselves, I even had an LS that was in the shop for the first 2 weeks I had it for an infotainment issue, they delivered it back to me, damaged, with the issue unsolved after 2 weeks. I suggested a simple SD card replacement might solve it and it did, making all of that unnecessary. I received nothing for that experience, zero. I even asked, and they never even followed up. I paid $250 a week in lease payments to drive an ES loaner. Then there was the time they damaged the car when it was in for service, tried to fix it and damaged it further and we had to have a shouting match to get them to refund me the $200 service cost and just let me fix the car myself.

Nothing special at all, in my experience.
Interesting, as I lived in MD (Baltimore/Annapolis area) during the period I mentioned (2001) when I received such service. You may be in a totally different area of course and used different dealers which could possibly explain the disparity in service. Now living in Pensacola, there is only 1 MB dealer (unless I want to drive an hour to Mobile) and the service dept is average at best. And of course, I left Lexus cars when I bought my 2015 S550 and current S560.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by flint350
Interesting, as I lived in MD (Baltimore/Annapolis area) during the period I mentioned (2001) when I received such service. You may be in a totally different area of course and used different dealers which could possibly explain the disparity in service. Now living in Pensacola, there is only 1 MB dealer (unless I want to drive an hour to Mobile) and the service dept is average at best. And of course, I left Lexus cars when I bought my 2015 S550 and current S560.
Which dealer did you use? Annapolis? Annapolis is a very good dealer, I'm in Montgomery County though, so too far for me to go for service. I bought my 2003 ES300 from Lexus of Annapolis. The Lexus service experience overall is just really different than it was back then.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

No guys lol, this is the 2023 model year, all the 2023s were out in the fall. Its the 2023 model year car of the year. Its not a prediction of sales success, its the car that they think is the most excellent, biggest improvement, etc. Sadly many great cars never sell very well and vmany mediocre cars sell a ton. Think Camry, the world's most mediocre car...and best selling car. I wouldn't drive a free Camry...
What about the new Crown, but ya I understand now thanks for explaining.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

They used to have full service snack bars in Lexus dealers here too, fountain sodas, real coffee bars... they are gone and replaced with a countertop with stuff you can get yourself, a fridge with sodas, etc...same as Mercedes and all the other luxury dealers. My Mercedes dealer has tons of new GLA/GLB/GLE/C CLass/EClass loaners. I was there one time and they didn't have a loaner as I had requested, they pulled a new C Class off the lot, scraped the stickers off of it, put a loaner tag on it and gave it to me. Just added it to the fleet. Lexus when out of cars rents you a car from Enterprise.

Now with that said, there is a Mercedes dealer here that has NO loaners and directs people to rent cars from Enterprise. I don't use that dealer for that reason. Overall though, I have been treated like a "high roller" way more at Mercedes.
Hmmm, at least in Canada all MB dealerships use Enterprise Rent-A-Car that is despite them being owned by different dealership groups, interesting to hear that MB dealerships in USA doesn't. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 216 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
Which dealer did you use? Annapolis? Annapolis is a very good dealer, I'm in Montgomery County though, so too far for me to go for service. I bought my 2003 ES300 from Lexus of Annapolis. The Lexus service experience overall is just really different than it was back then.
Pretty sure we use the same dealer in Germantown. The service is good but the prices are definitely high. I expect dealer prices to be 1.5x more than a good (reputable) independent, but they are more like 2.5x. I think their larger service ran me around $2k w/o sparkplugs.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by cfmistry
Pretty sure we use the same dealer in Germantown. The service is good but the prices are definitely high. I expect dealer prices to be 1.5x more than a good (reputable) independent, but they are more like 2.5x. I think their larger service ran me around $2k w/o sparkplugs.
Oh yeah, they are expensive. Oddly enough Euro Motorcars in Bethesda seems to be slightly cheaper...

Now that I have found the guy we talked about I won't use the dealer anymore for maintenance
Old 01-13-2023, 11:58 PM

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 s 500 swb
The only Benz dealer in Nova Scotia has mercedes vehicles for loaners. I have had more than a dozen various models and the dealer always provides me with a mercedes loaner.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by martinlarose
The only Benz dealer in Nova Scotia has mercedes vehicles for loaners. I have had more than a dozen various models and the dealer always provides me with a mercedes loaner.
I see, interesting to hear.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
The wife and I just signed for a Genesis GV70 last night. The experience was pretty decent. Nothing extraordinary, but not awful either. I guess we will see how servicing goes in the future, but for the first three years we have the “Genesis Concierge.”
The following users liked this post:
martinlarose (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by js_cls
The wife and I just signed for a Genesis GV70 last night.
My wife has me looking into GV70 for her. @ Scottsdale Hyundai Genesis is nothing more than a dedicated office within the dealership although reps are dressed better nothing to brag about.
The following users liked this post:
martinlarose (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by js_cls
The wife and I just signed for a Genesis GV70 last night. The experience was pretty decent. Nothing extraordinary, but not awful either. I guess we will see how servicing goes in the future, but for the first three years we have the “Genesis Concierge.”
Congrats! Are you replacing one of your cars with it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 MT Car Of The Year!