S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Turn Signal Volume

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 05:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLS 580
Turn Signal Volume

I just traded my GLS580 for a 2022 S580V4. Anyone who tells you the GLS is the S Class of SUVs is not telling the truth. The S580 is a better car by orders of magnitude, but that is not why I am writing. In my few days of ownership, I have only found two issues to complain about. First, the S is more difficult to get into than the GLS. That's really not a problem, though, since the S is so nice once inside. The second problem is significant. Have you ever cussed those old guys driving down the road with their turn signal on? I have now become one of them. I just can't hear the blinker in the S580. I have looked in the manual and did my best to research this forum for the answer and have not found one. Is there any way to turn up the turn signal blinker volume?

My dad drove until his early 90s. I got worried about him and bought him a fedora and said "wear this and when other motorists see it and your turn signal on they will give you plenty of room." Do I just need to buy a fedora?
The following 2 users liked this post by MS580:
ANILRAS (08-18-2024), chassis (01-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:09 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
I think this 'too low turn signal volume' has been raised in this forum a few times before.
And I do not remember anyone finding a way to increase it.
Admittedly, I also find the volume a little too low, particularly when I first took delivery of the car. I could hear it but I still wish it to be louder.
Now, after 1.5 years of ownership, it seems my ears are now trained for this low volume and appear to hear the blinker alright.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I cant hear it either. Mrs Crab is my audible turn signal on alert. *facepalm*

As far as the GLS goes my neighbor has one and when I got the S580 he came over to scope it. His first words after a brief walk-round were to the effect that the S Class is much nicer. I tend to agree but it wouldn't be neighborly to do so and I settled for saying the GLS wasn't bad, it was set up for a different duty. Which is true, the GLS is a nice car and certainly a better dog hauler than the S class. But yeah, not as luxurious for sure.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:47 AM

Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
I’m one of those guys you see
if they can’t increase the volume it would be nice if it shows on the HUD !!! How hard would it be to include it with an MBUX update?
Maybe BenzNinja can come to the rescue?
I previously had a BMW 7 and BimmerTech hacked it into HUD, and that was an MY2012.
The following users liked this post:
crabman (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 01:01 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Maybe one can go into the Dealer Menu and see if there is a volume slider for the turn signal?
Even though one is likely unable to change much inside the Dealer Menu, the chance of having the dealer to increase the volume is higher if such a slider exists.

(https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...aler-menu.html)
The following 2 users liked this post by bishop64:
crabman (01-29-2023), Sonic Boom (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I have old ears too but a louder blinker signal in my opinion would just make the car too noisy. The blinker volume should compare to the basic noise level in the cabin.

I'm not suggesting hearing aid while driving but perhaps only a soft press on slight turns where the blinker auto-release may not work? Normal use at tight turns? Myself I most often use the short soft press with three blinks, perhaps not a good advice to do that.

I did not check but very likely that this volume can be adjusted with DTS Monaco but not at an MB garage with a standard Star diagnosis tool (the latter one I checked).
crabman (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 03:46 AM
TSA

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223
the door pockets are too big that i need to open my door extra wide to go inside my vehicle. agreed.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I have old ears too but a louder blinker signal in my opinion would just make the car too noisy. The blinker volume should compare to the basic noise level in the cabin.

I'm not suggesting hearing aid while driving but perhaps only a soft press on slight turns where the blinker auto-release may not work? Normal use at tight turns? Myself I most often use the short soft press with three blinks, perhaps not a good advice to do that.

I did not check but very likely that this volume can be adjusted with DTS Monaco but not at an MB garage with a standard Star diagnosis tool (the latter one I checked).
In the main I tend to agree but I think it's possible we may not be in a middle ground. I just did a search and couldn't find a single instance of an owner complaining about the turn signal being too loud in a Panamera: I could hear the signal in my Panamera's.

It wasn't but a few months ago I traded and since then the only loud noise I've been exposed to is Mrs Crab telling me my turn signal is on in this car. O_o
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
Diesel Benz (01-29-2023), Ormond2004 (01-29-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by MS580
I just traded my GLS580 for a 2022 S580V4. Anyone who tells you the GLS is the S Class of SUVs is not telling the truth. The S580 is a better car by orders of magnitude, but that is not why I am writing. In my few days of ownership, I have only found two issues to complain about. First, the S is more difficult to get into than the GLS. That's really not a problem, though, since the S is so nice once inside. The second problem is significant. Have you ever cussed those old guys driving down the road with their turn signal on? I have now become one of them. I just can't hear the blinker in the S580. I have looked in the manual and did my best to research this forum for the answer and have not found one. Is there any way to turn up the turn signal blinker volume?

My dad drove until his early 90s. I got worried about him and bought him a fedora and said "wear this and when other motorists see it and your turn signal on they will give you plenty of room." Do I just need to buy a fedora?
I have previously posted about both of your issues. For turn signals, I don't get it. Certainly the target demo skews older; I just can't hear the signal clicking. A year or so ago I remember driving a rental car (Ford?) that would sound a warning tone when the turn signal indicator had been left on too long.
Regarding getting in: For every other car I've driven, I can plant my left foot parallel to the vehicle and slide my butt into the seat. For my S580, I plant my foot and then need to twist my left knee to plop backwards into the seat. It's as if the B pillar (or maybe the whole door opening) is too far forward. I didn't notice this immediately but a few weeks after delivery I noticed that my left knee hurt and figured out that it was from twisting into the car. Almost traded it back to the dealer for this specific issue.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I can’t hear mine either, but I prefer it to the very loud clicking in the new Genesis G90 that I drove. The turn signal in that car is a bit much, but I guess if it really bothered someone, they could find the source and try to muffle it a bit. With all the unneeded technoCRAP they put in the W223’s, you would think that something useful, like a turn signal volume control would be in there, but no soap! But, as we all know, NOBODY cares about old folks. They don’t care how many new cars we have bought, they only care how many MORE we will buy and, unfortunately, that number is too small to interest them. Oh well.

Last edited by Streamliner; 02-13-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 341 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by bishop64
I think this 'too low turn signal volume' has been raised in this forum a few times before.
And I do not remember anyone finding a way to increase it.
Admittedly, I also find the volume a little too low, particularly when I first took delivery of the car. I could hear it but I still wish it to be louder.
Now, after 1.5 years of ownership, it seems my ears are now trained for this low volume and appear to hear the blinker alright.
I don't know why the automotive industry doesn't do what the touring motorcycle industry does. I've driven touring motorcycles for over 20 years and every one of them have self-cancelling turn signals after a few hundred feet of driving. Problem solved!
Old 02-13-2023, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 341 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I can’t hear mine either, but I prefer it to the very loud clicking in the new Genesis G90 that I drove. The turn signal in that car is a bit much, but I guess if it really bothered someone, they could find the source and try to muffle it a bit. With all the unneeded technoCRAP they put in the W223’s, you would think that something useful, like a turn signal volume control would be in there, but no soap! But, as we all know, NOBODY cares about old folks. They don’t care how many new cars we have bought, they only care how many MORE we will buy and, unfortunately, that number is too small to interest them. Oh well.
You should hear how loud a Ford Explorer turn signal is!!! Off the top loud! It's as loud as an old oil can clicking.
Old 08-18-2024, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S580 2024, GLE 2018 and GLE2020
Turn signal blinker volume inaudible.

Originally Posted by Portmanteau
I have previously posted about both of your issues. For turn signals, I don't get it. Certainly the target demo skews older; I just can't hear the signal clicking. A year or so ago I remember driving a rental car (Ford?) that would sound a warning tone when the turn signal indicator had been left on too long.
Regarding getting in: For every other car I've driven, I can plant my left foot parallel to the vehicle and slide my butt into the seat. For my S580, I plant my foot and then need to twist my left knee to plop backwards into the seat. It's as if the B pillar (or maybe the whole door opening) is too far forward. I didn't notice this immediately but a few weeks after delivery I noticed that my left knee hurt and figured out that it was from twisting into the car. Almost traded it back to the dealer for this specific issue.

:

I am driving 2024 S580 for 3 months now. The turn signal stays on without my knowledge as the blinker sound is very low. Additionally the right or left real view mirrors do not show blinking light as in many other vehicles . Very similar problem as you describe. Does any one know how to fix it ?
Old 08-18-2024, 11:44 PM

I have similar problem.
I am driving 2024 S580 for 3 months now. The turn signal stays on without my knowledge as the blinker sound is very low. Additionally the right or left real view mirrors do not show blinking light as in many other vehicles . Very similar problem as you describe. Does any one know how to fix it ?
Old 08-19-2024, 11:02 AM

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts
Mercedes S560
Unless there's a dealer fix, us with a low sound signal and, in my case, also along with many others, with weakened hearing, even with hearing aids, we're going to have to live with it.
Combining this with ingress/egress issues, I use two automatic seating positions. #3 raises the steering wheel to max to help me enter with my two canes. I back in and pivot, then place my canes beside my left leg.
Once I start my '18 S560, I press Seat button #1, set to lower the steering wheel enough so that the turn signal green blinkers are visible in the wheel gap and can be seen. This avoids blocking the green signal enough for me. For reference, the seat is all the way down, and all the way back. I'm a fraction over 6' and at 225#.
And, yes, occasionally, but not often, I do leave the green light blinking. But, generally, this works well for me.
Good luck!

ANILRAS (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,823 Likes on 2,404 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I forgot if the W223 had it but the X254 IIRC, has the turn signal flashing in the diagram of the vehicle when surround view camera is activated or (and?) in the 3D view, that might help to see if the turn signals are on.
​​​​​​
Old 08-19-2024, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,823 Likes on 2,404 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
IIRC, it might show in the DISTRONIC assist menu as well in the driver's display.
Old 08-19-2024, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lou B
Unless there's a dealer fix, us with a low sound signal and, in my case, also along with many others, with weakened hearing, even with hearing aids, we're going to have to live with it.
Combining this with ingress/egress issues, I use two automatic seating positions. #3 raises the steering wheel to max to help me enter with my two canes. I back in and pivot, then place my canes beside my left leg.
Once I start my '18 S560, I press Seat button #1, set to lower the steering wheel enough so that the turn signal green blinkers are visible in the wheel gap and can be seen. This avoids blocking the green signal enough for me. For reference, the seat is all the way down, and all the way back. I'm a fraction over 6' and at 225#.
And, yes, occasionally, but not often, I do leave the green light blinking. But, generally, this works well for me.
Good luck!
THANK UOU FOR YOUR INPUT