S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

How Long Are You Planning To Keep Your SW223 and what will you replace it with??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 02:28 PM

Received 320 Likes on 175 Posts
2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)
Question How Long Are You Planning To Keep Your SW223 and what will you replace it with??

I change my cars often, I will keep it for 3 years...give or take.

Owned it for just over a year now and overall am happy with it but not sure if I will buy another S class or switch to something else.

Probable options are
Another S,
BMW 760 (if I can get over the looks and the positioning of the B pillar...highly unlikely),
Audi A8...too dull IMHO,
Bentley Flying Spur...is it worth the $$??,
maybe an SUV Porsche Cayenne Turbo has always intrigued me.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Bubba1

Owned it for just over a year now and overall am happy with it but not sure if I will buy another S class or switch to something else.

Probable options are
Another S,
BMW 760 (if I can get over the looks and the positioning of the B pillar...highly unlikely),
Audi A8...too dull IMHO,
The BMW doesn't look too bad if the color scheme is right. Finally went by the dealership on a Sunday so that I could gaze at it without the pressures of a salesman. The interior is the finest of all of the cars IMO.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Honestly not sure. I will probably keep the car until my retirement in a few years. I will probably go back to a smaller car then. Maybe the next E-Class? It looks to have all the things I love about my S in a smaller package and new designs/tech in certain areas.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
Right now, I will probably just lease another S class. Or maybe I’ll go electric at lease end. I’m definitely not spending more than an S class or something equivalent. Normally, I’m too cheap to spend this much, even though cars are a guilty pleasure of mine. I thought I was bonkers for buying that $102k+ GLE, which, at the time, was the most I’ve ever spent on a car. I should downsize and get something cheaper but…
Old 03-28-2023, 07:06 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Plan to keep this 223 (my DD) and will replace it with the 224. This 'move-forward-when-the-next-generation-arrives' has been so for 4 decades. No current plan to shake off this tradition or habit.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...

Probable options are
Another S,
Audi A8...too dull IMHO,
Your list is pretty much all that is out there, but I’d throw in the new G90 at the low end and possibly a used Ghost at the high end.

I read an auto news story somewhere recently that said Porsche is supposedly really working over the Cayenne for 2024, giving it, among other things, a much better ride. I’ve always liked the Cayenne, but have been turned off by the relatively harsh ride. If they fix that, I will certainly look at it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
aypues (04-02-2023), Bubba1 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 09:07 PM

2021 S450 4Matic

Probable options are
Another S,
Audi A8...too dull IMHO,
Looks like an all-German list (Bentley owned by VW...:-D).
If you wish trying some Italian taste, maybe Maserati Quattroporte? Haven't driven one but it does look nice. Exclusivity is right there.
If you do test drive one, pls report and share experience.
The following users liked this post:
Bubba1 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 09:45 PM

2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)
Originally Posted by bishop64
Plan to keep this 223 (my DD) and will replace it with the 224. This 'move-forward-when-the-next-generation-arrives' has been so for 4 decades. No current plan to shake off this tradition or habit.
Bishop, I wish I could be that disciplined…your approach makes a ton of sense!!
Old 03-29-2023, 03:18 PM

If you wish trying some Italian taste, maybe Maserati Quattroporte? Haven't driven one but it does look nice. Exclusivity is right there.
I’ve driven the Quattroporte…not nearly as luxurious as the S. Ride is a bit harsh. Nice lines though. Dealership experience as I’ve dealt with them in the past is mixed. Reliability is also an issue from the reviews I’ve read.

As a daily driver I want minimal drama, supreme comfort and luxury.
Ormond2004 (04-01-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
…………..As a daily driver I want minimal drama, supreme comfort and luxury.
Agree 100%!
Bubba1 (03-29-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
The Maserati Q is one of the most depreciating cars in automotive history. Do not buy one! I've seen where they drop 50% in value immediately.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
The Maserati Q is one of the most depreciating cars in automotive history. Do not buy one! I've seen where they drop 50% in value immediately.
My opinion about Maserati is that the brand name was resurrected a few decades ago, as it conjured up memories of famous racing cars from a bygone era. The fact that it was a legendary Italian marque, seemed to suggest that it was somehow similar to Ferrari, which it certainly isn’t. The modern day Maserati offerings do nothing great. They have a bit of that sensual Italian styling, but that’s about it. I feel that they are purchased 100% by folks who know pretty much nothing about vehicles and don’t really care. I also believe that you only see them in large markets and that they pretty much don’t exist in most of the USA. I would so much prefer a Genesis over any current Maserati.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I can't remember where I saw the review but the reviewer was claiming he could feel wind coming in through the door seal. Then he said he had figured out a way to show that: He put the car in a dark garage, had someone holding a flashlight outside the car, and sure enough you could see the light inside the car.

There were many more quality issues but you get the idea. This probably has a lot to do with the cliff they fall off at resale.

They way I read it this car isn't much better if you take the pandemic out of the equation so I'm not sure if we get to throw stones.

As to the topic. I hold onto my cars longer now so I'll probably hang for the full 3 years.

I do like the comfort and luxury aspect of this car. I've never owned a straight up luxury car until now and I see the attraction. I'm not impressed with the engineering in many ways: Everything from the wipers to the transmission is weaker than what you get over at Porsche. The quality is lower. This car looks like 100 dollar bills when you get in it; Motormouth said that in his review. He then went on to say after a little time you come to understand you've really got 50 dollar bills. I see this in my own experience. It looks nicer when you get in but you start noticing little things you don't see over at Porsche and you end up understanding the quality is more skin than deep.

I'm conflicted with this car. I do like it and have considered this question myself. I would really like this done Porsche style where everything works better but I don't see them building that car anytime soon. I love the Panamera but it does not do luxury as well; it isn't uncomfortable but it doesnt coddle the way this car does. In fact, I'd say it's not close.

While we're talking about about Porsche I have a hard time imagining the Cayenne becoming soft and comfortable. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my guess.

The Spur I haven't driven but suspect it's going to lean more toward the Porsche. I'm currently in the process of selling my company and I'll work for the new owners for a few years. My income will be down quite a bit at that point and the Spur isn't cheap. Not sure if I can afford it in retirement even if I wanted it.

The Rolls, uh uh. To my eye it's a vulgar display of wealth and I even if i imagine myself fabulously wealthy I have a hard time imagining myself in that. The A8 needs a refresh, it already felt old to me and the new 7 along with this one make it feel older. The 7 is hideous, can't get past it.

I really don't have any idea of what's next. I'm interested in sampling an EV and that might be a possibility.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:10 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
S580
I get the new car itch almost every year. I went with an Escalade. As another year approaches, there's nothing else that catches my eye at the moment.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Streamliner
My opinion about Maserati is that the brand name was resurrected a few decades ago, as it conjured up memories of famous racing cars from a bygone era. The fact that it was a legendary Italian marque, seemed to suggest that it was somehow similar to Ferrari, which it certainly isn’t. The modern day Maserati offerings do nothing great. They have a bit of that sensual Italian styling, but that’s about it. I feel that they are purchased 100% by folks who know pretty much nothing about vehicles and don’t really care. I also believe that you only see them in large markets and that they pretty much don’t exist in most of the USA. I would so much prefer a Genesis over any current Maserati.
I agree. As far as Genesis goes, I wouldn't hesitate at all about picking one up but I don't have a dealership in my city that has much at all in stock. I'm no where ready for a new car but Genesis is a great contender both in the sedan and SUV market. I do have a nearby Maserati dealership near me along with all other brands in a very large car super-center owned mostly by Sonic. The Jaguars and Maseratis take huge depreciation hits.
Old 04-04-2023, 12:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 53 2023 GLA 252021 S580 2023 MB GLA 250, previous 2015 Porsche Turbo S 2014 Cayenne Diesel
Traded in my 2021 S580 this morning. Ordered, well not quite yet since MSRP and build slot is not available, a 2024 GLE 53.
I drove a 2023 S53 very nice car. We bought a 2023 GLA 250 about 6 months ago, love it. Back into SUVs and out of sedans.
This is the fifth new car we have bought in 6 years from Mercedes. Bought the 2021 S580 new, off the showroom, just time for
a new car.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
Just curious but any particular reason you chose to get the GLE? I went the opposite way and couldn’t get rid of my 2022 GLE fast enough. That thing was littered with problems.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:23 PM

2021 S450 4Matic
I suppose, going from an S-Class sedan to an SUV, the logical equivalent is the GLS rather than the GLE. I wonder why chose the GLE as well?
Old 04-04-2023, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by mbsl550.19
Traded in my 2021 S580 this morning. Ordered, well not quite yet since MSRP and build slot is not available, a 2024 GLE 53.
I drove a 2023 S53 very nice car. We bought a 2023 GLA 250 about 6 months ago, love it. Back into SUVs and out of sedans.
This is the fifth new car we have bought in 6 years from Mercedes. Bought the 2021 S580 new, off the showroom, just time for
a new car.
Curious, what made you decide to go back to SUVs? The higher view? More headroom or none of the above?
Old 04-05-2023, 05:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 53 2023 GLA 252021 S580 2023 MB GLA 250, previous 2015 Porsche Turbo S 2014 Cayenne Diesel
I drove a GLS 500 just too big as an SUV, not sure why they don't have rear wheel steering on those cars. The GLE was slightly
smallerfelt more nimble. Also the ingress egress is easier. I had a Cayenne before and I liked it. Also just wanted something
different. Will I regret it? I might, I regretted trading in my 2015 Porsche Turbo S, but just no place to really drive in since I
moved to Florida. I used to live in Bostonand loved driving thru NH, Maine and Vermont.

I traded in the S580 because I had a myriad of little problems. Second day I had the car, I had a battery problem, message was
low battery do not drivethe car etc. It took me 3 trips to the dealer before they replaced the battery. The voltage at the
battery terminals in the trunk was 12.3 volts. A lithuim battery should be 13.0 to 13.2 volts. Maybe it was not charged
properly at the port before delivery. I had the car in to reflash the ECU at least 4 times. And it took 2-3 hours before a
refalsh was complete. Ok I understand new software new releases, I was software for 40 years I understand. But a
corporation like MB should have emulated this software much better before release. I also had an occasional errors,
like back camera doesn't workalthough it was working. Had a rear flat tire. Took it to the dealer they replaced it,
BTW my dealer had a cheaper price than TireRack by $30 amazing. Brought the car home, went to check the
air pressure, they broke the valve. Ok people make mistakes, although the tech had to know that. Brought
it back in they replaced the valve put a chip in the wheel. Back to the dealer. At this point I almost felt the car
was jinxed. Also the car had some sensorproblem which required the dealer remove the headliner...eeks.
Got to admit the dealer did an awesome job.

Also look at the GLE forum, they SEEM to have a lot less problems in general. Although I read a lot forums
and lets face it, mostly are complaints against the car, here and there a positive review. I think out of the thousands
of cars sold there are going to be some issues.

So based on all the above, we decided to order a 2024 GLE 53. Wish me luck!! If the GLE doesn't work
out we'll buy another car.

Last edited by mbsl550.19; 04-05-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I drove a GLS 500 just too big as an SUV, not sure why they don't have rear wheel steering on those cars. The GLE was slightly smaller
felt more nimble. Also the ingress egress is easier. I had a Cayenne before and I liked it. Also just wanted something different. Will I regret
it? I might, I regretted trading in my 2015 Porsche Turbo S, but just no place to really drive in since I moved to Florida. I used to live in Boston
and loved driving thru NH, Maine and Vermont.

I traded in the S580 because I had a myriad of little problems. Second day I had the car, I had a battery problem, message was low battery do not drive
the car etc. It took me 3 trips to the dealer before they replaced the battery. The voltage at the battery terminals in the trunk was 12.3 volts. A lithuim
battery should be 13.0 to 13.2 volts. Maybe it was not charged properly at the port before delivery. I had the car in to reflash the ECU at least 4 times.
And it took 2-3 hours before a refalsh was complete. Ok I understand new software new releases, I was software for 40 years I understand. But a
corporation like MB should have emulated this software much better before release. I also had an occasional errors, like back camera doesn't work
although it was working. Had a rear flat tire. Took it to the dealer they replaced it, BTW my dealer had a cheaper price than TireRack by $30 amazing.
Brought the car home, went to check the air pressure, they broke the valve. Ok people make mistakes, although the tech had to know that. Brought
it back in they replaced the valve put a chip in the wheel. Back to the dealer. At this point I almost felt the car was jinxed. Also the car had some sensor
problem which required the dealer remove the headliner...eeks. Got to admit the dealer did an awesome job.

Also look at the GLE forum, they SEEM to have a lot less problems in general. Although I read a lot forums and lets face it, mostly are complaints against
the car, here and there a positive review. I think out of the thousands of car sold there are going to be some issues.

So based on all the above, we decided to order a 2024 GLE 53. Wish me luck!! If the GLE doesn't work out we'll buy another car.
I wonder if the facelift GLS got rear wheel steering, the facelift was announced today. I believe the reason why it never got rear wheel steering because the W223 was the first non amg MB model to get rear wheel steering if I recalled correctly, then the W206 C-Class got it too, the GLS came way before both of those.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:00 PM

I drove a GLS 500 just too big as an SUV, not sure why they don't have rear wheel steering on those cars. The GLE was slightly
smallerfelt more nimble. Also the ingress egress is easier. I had a Cayenne before and I liked it. Also just wanted something
different. Will I regret it? I might, I regretted trading in my 2015 Porsche Turbo S, but just no place to really drive in since I
moved to Florida. I used to live in Bostonand loved driving thru NH, Maine and Vermont.

I traded in the S580 because I had a myriad of little problems. Second day I had the car, I had a battery problem, message was
low battery do not drivethe car etc. It took me 3 trips to the dealer before they replaced the battery. The voltage at the
battery terminals in the trunk was 12.3 volts. A lithuim battery should be 13.0 to 13.2 volts. Maybe it was not charged
properly at the port before delivery. I had the car in to reflash the ECU at least 4 times. And it took 2-3 hours before a
refalsh was complete. Ok I understand new software new releases, I was software for 40 years I understand. But a
corporation like MB should have emulated this software much better before release. I also had an occasional errors,
like back camera doesn't workalthough it was working. Had a rear flat tire. Took it to the dealer they replaced it,
BTW my dealer had a cheaper price than TireRack by $30 amazing. Brought the car home, went to check the
air pressure, they broke the valve. Ok people make mistakes, although the tech had to know that. Brought
it back in they replaced the valve put a chip in the wheel. Back to the dealer. At this point I almost felt the car
was jinxed. Also the car had some sensorproblem which required the dealer remove the headliner...eeks.
Got to admit the dealer did an awesome job.

Also look at the GLE forum, they SEEM to have a lot less problems in general. Although I read a lot forums
and lets face it, mostly are complaints against the car, here and there a positive review. I think out of the thousands
of cars sold there are going to be some issues.

So based on all the above, we decided to order a 2024 GLE 53. Wish me luck!! If the GLE doesn't work
out we'll buy another car.
I can totally understand the appeal of an SUV. Sometimes in my S Class I feel claustrophobic being surrounded by SUVs and pickups.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the GLE. Would be curious why you didn’t go the Cayenne Turbo route as you appear to be a Porsche fan?

BTW, I totally understand you missing your Turbo S. Over the years having had my fair share of sports cars, I find now that the discomfort of ingress/egress, noise, how low they are, the tightness inside outweighs any “fun factor”. I’m actually surprised to be saying that but that’s how I feel these days.

I keep looking at adding a sports car but after the initial thrill, the inconvenience factor steps in and I’d rather be in one of my other comfortable cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bubba1:
bishop64 (04-06-2023), crabman (04-06-2023), martinlarose (04-07-2023), Streamliner (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
We'll see how much it changes with 24 but I'm skeptical of Porsche getting too far away from doing Porsche with the Cayenne. I'm not trying to beat them up, I'm a fanboy, but not mindless. If you want the Porsche thing no one does it better; but if you're talking about a replacement for this car with a similar comfort quotient it's hard for me to imagine it comparing favorably.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I can totally understand the appeal of an SUV. Sometimes in my S Class I feel claustrophobic being surrounded by SUVs and pickups.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the GLE. Would be curious why you didn’t go the Cayenne Turbo route as you appear to be a Porsche fan?

BTW, I totally understand you missing your Turbo S. Over the years having had my fair share of sports cars, I find now that the discomfort of ingress/egress, noise, how low they are, the tightness inside outweighs any “fun factor”. I’m actually surprised to be saying that but that’s how I feel these days.

I keep looking at adding a sports car but after the initial thrill, the inconvenience factor steps in and I’d rather be in one of my other comfortable cars.
This is funny. I just went to the local car show and texted my friend "How do you know when you are old? Answer: When you no longer want to get into and out of sports cars." By the time I left I dreaded the thought of getting in and out of and sitting in low slung cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
bishop64 (04-06-2023), Bubba1 (04-07-2023), newmanium (04-25-2023), Streamliner (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
This is funny. I just went to the local car show and texted my friend "How do you know when you are old? Answer: When you no longer want to get into and out of sports cars." By the time I left I dreaded the thought of getting in and out of and sitting in low slung cars.
Good to hear MBNut…I’m not alone and am not losing my mind!!
Sometimes when I see a sports car on the road I go oh wow look at that beautiful creature. Then I go into the showroom sit inside one and go how am I gonna get out? Recently with a 911 I grabbed the outside mirror (attached to the body) to help me out. It was rather undignified. Lol!!
hyperion667 (04-12-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Long Are You Planning To Keep Your SW223 and what will you replace it with??