W223 S-Class chosen for HIDDEN TRAILS EXPEDITION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 08:22 AM

Received 75 Likes on 25 Posts
S580 4matic 2023
W223 S-Class chosen for HIDDEN TRAILS EXPEDITION

Friends,
I have embarked on a 10,000 mile trek across rural USA and CANADA, exploring hidden trails and places with charm and beaty, that are off the beaten paths.

The S-Class has not disappointed thus far, and it's performance on all the various terrains from smooth concrete highways to rugged loose gravel trails is exceptional.
There are days I am in the car for as long as 14 hours, but try to average 6 hours driving per day. There have been few times where we had to raise the vehicle and make use of the "4 by 4" capabilities, but what a magnificently designed vehicle.

My mileage per gallon is off the charts!!! Canada speed limit of 80KM per hour ( I am driving the smaller rural highways) is translating to about 35 MPG.
Last leg of 300KM gulped just under 1/4 tank. Guess thats the benefit of driving under 55mph

ALSO - the self driving on the W223 is great !! It has managed to maintain autonomoy even on small roads with only a middle line between the lanes.

Check out the blog for some real cool places and trails the S580 has navigated like a champ!! USACANADATRIP.COM

Join me, as I trek "to places where no car has gone before" ;-)

USACANADATRIP.COM

one of the beautiful places

The following 4 users liked this post by zukiper:
aypues (06-02-2023), crabman (06-02-2023), Frenetic (06-02-2023), js_cls (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Looks awesome! I'm curious - did you get the black accents done aftermarket?

Todah rabah!
Old 06-02-2023, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 S500
Cool, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by zukiper
Friends,
I have embarked on a 10,000 mile trek across rural USA and CANADA, exploring hidden trails and places with charm and beaty, that are off the beaten paths.

The S-Class has not disappointed thus far, and it's performance on all the various terrains from smooth concrete highways to rugged loose gravel trails is exceptional.
There are days I am in the car for as long as 14 hours, but try to average 6 hours driving per day. There have been few times where we had to raise the vehicle and make use of the "4 by 4" capabilities, but what a magnificently designed vehicle.

My mileage per gallon is off the charts!!! Canada speed limit of 80KM per hour ( I am driving the smaller rural highways) is translating to about 35 MPG.
Last leg of 300KM gulped just under 1/4 tank. Guess thats the benefit of driving under 55mph

ALSO - the self driving on the W223 is great !! It has managed to maintain autonomoy even on small roads with only a middle line between the lanes.

Check out the blog for some real cool places and trails the S580 has navigated like a champ!! USACANADATRIP.COM

Join me, as I trek "to places where no car has gone before" ;-)

USACANADATRIP.COM

one of the beautiful places
Looks like a fun trip. Keep us updated on your journey!

I just got back from months abroad in the EU and one drive in my S-Class allowed me to remember what I love most about the vehicle. My two hour drive from the airport was smooth and seamless, the massage seats helped my back after my long flight, and it was great to drive with the windows down and have the music on again. Even with my lead foot I can also get close to 30MPG despite having a powerful V8 under the hood. It definitely is one of my favorite cars I've owned, even if it doesn't follow my usual route of being on the sportier side.
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
Looks awesome! I'm curious - did you get the black accents done aftermarket?
The Night Package on 23's finally blacks out the window trim so I imagine his is stock.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by js_cls

I just got back from months abroad in the EU and one drive in my S-Class allowed me to remember what I love most about the vehicle. My two hour drive from the airport was smooth and seamless, the massage seats helped my back after my long flight, and it was great to drive with the windows down and have the music on again. Even with my lead foot I can also get close to 30MPG despite having a powerful V8 under the hood. It definitely is one of my favorite cars I've owned, even if it doesn't follow my usual route of being on the sportier side.

The Night Package on 23's finally blacks out the window trim so I imagine his is stock.
Yes but you can’t get the night package with the 19 inch wheels so I’m wondering if the black accents were done aftermarket or if the wheels were added after the fact
Old 06-02-2023, 04:06 PM

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
Totally cool! Super jealous of your journey. You definitely picked the right car though. No better car for a 10k mile road trip than an S class!
Old 06-03-2023, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by AzurSL
……………You definitely picked the right car though………….!
I think a white or silver car might have been a better choice.
The following users liked this post:
AzurSL (06-04-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2023, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by js_cls

The mileage you are getting is a direct result of the decades of R&D that all car makers have worked hard towards to achieve and now the tree huggers are wanting all that effort to be thrown into the trashcan because they want to shove EVs in our face. I totally oppose EVs because in the long run this idea will hurt our environment more than ICE engines. Our electric grids can't support it now nor in the future. When was the last time you saw smog in the air above large cities? You don't. The carbon footprint simply cannot be any less than it is now with modern gas/diesel burning engines. Think of all the time, money, and energy it is going to take to swap out gasoline pumps across the nation/country into charging stations. Is the government going to stop issuing permits to those who want to build and own gas stations and their pumps? Buc-cees gas stations have over 100 pumps at each store!!! Can you imagine seeing how upset they will be when they hear the news they have to swap out their pumps to charging stations? Completely ridiculous idea.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:17 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I think a white or silver car might have been a better choice.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:21 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wow the website and details of the day by day activities are awesome man. You really packed a lot of stuff into the car as well as the trip. I'm still going through it all but wow!
Are those butter sandwiches??