S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

How do I LOVE my MB? Let me count the ways….

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
How do I LOVE my MB? Let me count the ways….

Today, I took my MB out for a drive here, along the “Gold Coast” in South Orange County, California where I live. The car drives like an absolute dream! The ride is simply amazing, but of course, this is in part due to the non-run flat tires I installed shortly after I got the car and the 19” wheels. I ordered the car new, with Exclusive Nappa Leather and the upgraded suspension, Driver’s Assistance, Premium Package, etc. I cruised along the coast with the windows down and the roof open and was just happy as a clam. It is truly amazing at how little wind turbulence enters the cabin. The folks who designed this car were brilliant—well, mostly brilliant.

I absolutely love the smoothness of the way the engine & transmission work together seamlessly. Honestly, there is never a “hiccup” with upshifts or downshifts and I just love the way the downshifts sort of “blip” the throttle as you slow down. The driveline is so smooth and pleasing to experience, that I just wonder why it is that other, newer MB’s don’t seem to have the same qualities. Why can some, much more expensive MB’s feel like absolute slush buckets?

I got the wood/leather steering wheel and the controls are simply wonderful, with the audio volume control right there and easy to use without having to glance at it. I will say that I’m not happy with the audio system, but with everything else about the car being so truly fabulous, I can live with it. Actually, the sound of the engine is so pleasing, I find that I don’t really miss using the audio all that much. I must also mention how much I truly love the simple but perfect, exterior door handles. For some reason, I seem to love them more each day!

I got mine in Polar White. I wanted a red one, but in their infinite wisdom, MB has not offered a pure, solid color RED since 2017 or so. Perhaps Ferrari will follow their lead. Yeah, right!

The very best thing about my MB is the retractable hardtop. What an absolute joy to push a button and have the sleek roadster transform itself into a coupe! There used to be several manufacturers who offered retractable hardtop models, but I believe only Ferrari still does. All the other makers have shunned the retractable hardtop saying they have done so to make the car lighter, so it handles better. Yet another “yeah, right!” They did it to add to their bottom line, period!

So, by now, I hope you have all figured out that I am NOT talking about my 2022 S580, but about what is turning out to be my all time favorite car I have ever owned—and I’ve owned 60 brand new ones. I’ve been describing my wonderful 2019 SL450. My S580 is quieter and the audio is infinitely better, but that’s it. EVERYTHING else is better in my relatively inexpensive, relatively simple SL450, everything. As a matter of fact, virtually everything I’ve praised here about my SL is pretty much the exact OPPOSITE in my S580.

Mercedes-Benz has made some truly remarkable cars over the years. I’m very pleased to feel that I own at least one of them.

Just having a little fun on Father’s Day guys. Hope you are all having a great one. Cheers!
The following 7 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Bahnstormer (06-18-2023), Drone_S213 (06-18-2023), MBNUT1 (06-18-2023), Spicy (06-20-2023), Sunbeltgolfer11 (06-18-2023), S_W222 (06-20-2023), tx170754 (06-18-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-18-2023, 06:22 PM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
My wife has a 2014 SL550 and it is indeed a great vehicle. We drove it down to Charlotte on Thursday and Friday to tour the Rick Hendrick private car collection. It is a three hour drive each way. We live in a mountain community so there is a mix of curvy steep up and down roads that the car really excels at handling on. It was comfortable for me and I have lower back issues. It was cool enough Friday to drop the top while we were sitting at a traffic light and enjoy a nice morning drive. There really isn't anything we don't like about it. She smiles every time she gets behind the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sunbeltgolfer11:
MBS63AMG (06-20-2023), Streamliner (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Sunbeltgolfer11
My wife has a 2014 SL550 and it is indeed a great vehicle. We drove it down to Charlotte on Thursday and Friday to tour the Rick Hendrick private car collection. It is a three hour drive each way. We live in a mountain community so there is a mix of curvy steep up and down roads that the car really excels at handling on. It was comfortable for me and I have lower back issues. It was cool enough Friday to drop the top while we were sitting at a traffic light and enjoy a nice morning drive. There really isn't anything we don't like about it. She smiles every time she gets behind the wheel.
Yes, as crazy as it sounds, driving my SL always puts a smile on my face.
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 05:49 AM

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
S450 4Matic
Respect to Mr. Streamliner. It is now two years since this car's release, and most of us have long lost any feeling of passion and novelty.

But Streamliner. He still manages to come up with new ways to bash the car, every single week
Bubba1 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rw594
Respect to Mr. Streamliner. It is now two years since this car's release, and most of us have long lost any feeling of passion and novelty.

But Streamliner. He still manages to come up with new ways to bash the car, every single week
I would ask that you simply change the word “the” to the word “his.” And, isn’t it amazing the “passion & novelty” I still feel for my now four old SL450? The car simply amazes me every time I drive it.
MBS63AMG (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 06:31 PM

Received 349 Likes on 190 Posts
2022 S580
Stream, while I appreciate your creativity, You are like the boy who cried wolf too many times. You’re losing credibility quickly.

I look forward to your postings, but recently, I must admit you’re coming across as awfully bitter and somewhat exhausting. Reading your entire postings at times is trying and the same old same old.

For those of us who love our S580 and have had a terrific experience overall please try and maintain some dignity in your future postings.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bubba1:
Baloo588 (06-19-2023), BenjaminKohl (06-20-2023), declo2000 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bubba1
Stream, while I appreciate your creativity, You are like the boy who cried wolf too many times. You’re losing credibility quickly.

I look forward to your postings, but recently, I must admit you’re coming across as awfully bitter and somewhat exhausting. Reading your entire postings at times is trying and the same old same old.

For those of us who love our S580 and have had a terrific experience overall please try and maintain some dignity in your future postings.
I’m so sorry to have disappointed you and others with my fanciful musings. I shall strive to “maintain some dignity” in my future postings, as I know what a very serious and important venue this is. Thank you so much for caring and taking time out of your busy day to respond. What on earth would I do without your sage mentoring? I know that I shall be up all night, unable to sleep, as I dwell on ways to bolster my credibility. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go “cry wolf.”
Old 06-19-2023, 08:16 PM

Received 349 Likes on 190 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’m so sorry to have disappointed you and others with my fanciful musings. I shall strive to “maintain some dignity” in my future postings, as I know what a very serious and important venue this is. Thank you so much for caring and taking time out of your busy day to respond. What on earth would I do without your sage mentoring? I know that I shall be up all night, unable to sleep, as I dwell on ways to bolster my credibility. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go “cry wolf.”
LOL! We finally have a positive post from the Stream 😂. Thank you!!
Old 06-20-2023, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 790 Likes on 514 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
I have found the Streamliner posts:reviews, to be a valuable source of information about the W223. While I don't base my final decisions solely on others' opinions, these posts/reviews will at least play some role in my decision to upgrade from my current vehicle to the next one in the future when I decide to trade in.

Some individuals join forums with the expectation of reading strictly biased positive language that aligns with their own preferences for their car or services/products/businesses. Even worse, they feel offended when others opinions doesn’t match theirs and can reply with toxic responses. However, if that's what they seek “positive car stories only”, they should turn to magazines written by journalists rather than forums where real customers, users, and people provide feedback. Personally, I appreciate criticism posts a great deal because they are usually written by individuals who have conducted thorough research on a specific product or service. This still holds true even when the criticism targets a product or vehicle that I currently own or have purchased. Acceptance and freedom of speech is what we need to appreciate regardless of alignment with our views. No body was hired as a Mayor to judge other’s opinions here, to my knowledge.

Last edited by S_W222; 06-20-2023 at 09:53 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by S_W222:
MBNUT1 (06-20-2023), Quietride (06-20-2023), Streamliner (06-20-2023), Sunbeltgolfer11 (06-20-2023), tx170754 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:15 AM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Originally Posted by S_W222
I have found the Streamliner posts:reviews, to be a valuable source of information about the W223. While I don't base my final decisions solely on others' opinions, these posts/reviews will at least play some role in my decision to upgrade from my current vehicle to the next one in the future when I decide to trade in.

Some individuals join forums with the expectation of reading strictly biased positive language that aligns with their own preferences for their car or services/products/businesses. Even worse, they feel offended when others opinions doesn’t match theirs and can reply with toxic responses. However, if that's what they seek “positive car stories only”, they should turn to magazines written by journalists rather than forums where real customers, users, and people provide feedback. Personally, I appreciate criticism posts a great deal because they are usually written by individuals who have conducted thorough research on a specific product or service. This still holds true even when the criticism targets a product or vehicle that I currently own or have purchased. Acceptance and freedom of speech is what we need to appreciate regardless of alignment with our views. No body was hired as a Mayor to judge other’s opinions here, to my knowledge.
Well stated, and I agree with you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sunbeltgolfer11:
MBNUT1 (06-20-2023), S_W222 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I agree with you completely but sometimes even the best of men need to be slapped upside the head and told to walk it off.
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
Bubba1 (06-20-2023), S_W222 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by crabman
I agree with you completely but sometimes even the best of men need to be slapped upside the head and told to walk it off.
You know, in my original post here, I said I was just having a bit of fun on Father's Day. I even posted a . You know, this forum isn't a discussion of child molestation, we talk about pieces of machinery, which in the greater scheme of things are close to meaningless. Folks here need to lighten up a bit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
MBNUT1 (06-20-2023), MBS63AMG (06-20-2023), Sunbeltgolfer11 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 765 Likes on 478 Posts
2023 S500
Steam should be entitled to post whatever he wants provided it doesn’t break any guidelines. If he wants to be ultra critical of MB or his car, that’s his right. No one is forcing people to read his complaints, and if they do become tiresome, I wouldn’t even bother to click on any thread created by him. I appreciate candid thoughts and opinions as well. If I think something is a POS, I’m going to just straight up call it a POS. No need to sugar coat it.

I’ve been through what Steam is going through, although he’s certainly a lot more patient than me, granted he’s going for a buyback. Any car that inconveniences me with multiple trips to the dealer within the first few months and less than 2k miles with still unresolved issues has entered junk status for me. I just don’t have the patience to endure a buyback assuming there is another way out.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frenetic:
MBNUT1 (06-20-2023), Streamliner (06-20-2023), Sunbeltgolfer11 (06-20-2023), tx170754 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Frenetic
Steam should be entitled to post whatever he wants provided it doesn’t break any guidelines. If he wants to be ultra critical of MB or his car, that’s his right. No one is forcing people to read his complaints, and if they do become tiresome, I wouldn’t even bother to click on any thread created by him. I appreciate candid thoughts and opinions as well. If I think something is a POS, I’m going to just straight up call it a POS. No need to sugar coat it.

I’ve been through what Steam is going through, although he’s certainly a lot more patient than me, granted he’s going for a buyback. Any car that inconveniences me with multiple trips to the dealer within the first few months and less than 2k miles with still unresolved issues has entered junk status for me. I just don’t have the patience to endure a buyback assuming there is another way out.
Thanks. Yes, it is a chore going for a buy-back, but I come from a very humble background and the idea of leaving maybe $30K on the table is a non-starter for me, IF I have the possibility to walk away whole. In addition, I am basically retired and it's not like I have a tight schedule or anything. If I was still running my business, I'm sure I would have looked for a quicker fix.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
MBNUT1 (06-20-2023), tx170754 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I'm not worried, weighed down, whatever you want to call it, we can carry you. However... Sometimes a good friend listens, sometimes he gives you a kick in the butt when you need it. Sometimes we all need it. Not talking about you specifically or the situation here, that's just life and I know you know it.

You get to talk, I agree completely on the concept that an open forum where all views are considered is the ideal. That sword cuts both ways. You've aired your situation out at length on many threads for months. Your dissatisfaction for more than a year. At some point you have to expect that someone is going to tell you it's time to walk it off.

The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
BenjaminKohl (06-21-2023), Bubba1 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I actually seek critical reviews to help head off mistaken purchases. What I do with those reviews is I compare them with my value system. For example if somebody is complaining that his S500 isn't nearly as quick as his S63 was I could care less and dismiss that complaint. On the other hand as I am interested in ride quality I think that Stream has done the board a solid by saying that the eABC is a downgrade from prior S-Class suspension in that department.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
True story that, I completely agree, but you knew that yesterday, the day before, the day before that, etc. I knew before I ordered my car more than a year ago, this thanks to these posts, and yeah, it was going on back then.

I lifetime ago I was divorced. I complained, a lot. Came a day I saw a friend and when he saw me he immediately looked at his watch. I think that was my first clue. His first words were that he only had a minute before he had to go. That would be the second clue. Truth was he didn't want to hear it, he had enough by then. It didn't happen that second but I realized it had been happening a lot. I had become that guy, the one that was divorced, didn't talk about anything else. You've probably met that guy in your life.

I had to figure it out myself. I didn't have a good enough friend to tell me, like my family I hadn't had time for friends up to that point, I was growing a business and had my head up my you know what.

That isn't Stream. He hasn't worn out his welcome for my part. He isn't that guy. Yet. Not to me. But I do think it's time to let go. It's disingenuous to say you were just having a little fun when you cap your post with jabs at the same car you've been slamming across most of the threads in this section.

It's my opinion Stream, it's time to ease up on it. If I didn't like you I wouldn't say it; I'd just skim by your posts without bothering to respond at all. I do like you though so I read your stuff; you're a good man to hang with when you can set the divorce aside.
The following 4 users liked this post by crabman:
BenjaminKohl (06-21-2023), Bubba1 (06-20-2023), MBNUT1 (06-20-2023), MBS63AMG (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 06:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2022 S580 Executive trim
Today, I took my MB out for a drive here, along the “Gold Coast” in South Orange County, California where I live. The car drives like an absolute dream! The ride is simply amazing, but of course, this is in part due to the non-run flat tires I installed shortly after I got the car and the 19” wheels. I ordered the car new, with Exclusive Nappa Leather and the upgraded suspension, Driver’s Assistance, Premium Package, etc. I cruised along the coast with the windows down and the roof open and was just happy as a clam. It is truly amazing at how little wind turbulence enters the cabin. The folks who designed this car were brilliant—well, mostly brilliant.

I absolutely love the smoothness of the way the engine & transmission work together seamlessly. Honestly, there is never a “hiccup” with upshifts or downshifts and I just love the way the downshifts sort of “blip” the throttle as you slow down. The driveline is so smooth and pleasing to experience, that I just wonder why it is that other, newer MB’s don’t seem to have the same qualities. Why can some, much more expensive MB’s feel like absolute slush buckets?

I got the wood/leather steering wheel and the controls are simply wonderful, with the audio volume control right there and easy to use without having to glance at it. I will say that I’m not happy with the audio system, but with everything else about the car being so truly fabulous, I can live with it. Actually, the sound of the engine is so pleasing, I find that I don’t really miss using the audio all that much. I must also mention how much I truly love the simple but perfect, exterior door handles. For some reason, I seem to love them more each day!

I got mine in Polar White. I wanted a red one, but in their infinite wisdom, MB has not offered a pure, solid color RED since 2017 or so. Perhaps Ferrari will follow their lead. Yeah, right!

The very best thing about my MB is the retractable hardtop. What an absolute joy to push a button and have the sleek roadster transform itself into a coupe! There used to be several manufacturers who offered retractable hardtop models, but I believe only Ferrari still does. All the other makers have shunned the retractable hardtop saying they have done so to make the car lighter, so it handles better. Yet another “yeah, right!” They did it to add to their bottom line, period!

So, by now, I hope you have all figured out that I am NOT talking about my 2022 S580, but about what is turning out to be my all time favorite car I have ever owned—and I’ve owned 60 brand new ones. I’ve been describing my wonderful 2019 SL450. My S580 is quieter and the audio is infinitely better, but that’s it. EVERYTHING else is better in my relatively inexpensive, relatively simple SL450, everything. As a matter of fact, virtually everything I’ve praised here about my SL is pretty much the exact OPPOSITE in my S580.

Mercedes-Benz has made some truly remarkable cars over the years. I’m very pleased to feel that I own at least one of them.

Just having a little fun on Father’s Day guys. Hope you are all having a great one. Cheers!
LOL! Now that was funny. You had me going WTF for a while, until I read the whole comment.
Streamliner (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 341 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

Yea, for a minute there I was beginning to think you were bipolar so I kept reading and then I got the "completion' of your assessment. You are right. MB has goofed up on the W223 but I hope they get it fixed with the facelift.
Streamliner (06-20-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 05:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,814 Likes on 2,396 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Thanks. Yes, it is a chore going for a buy-back, but I come from a very humble background and the idea of leaving maybe $30K on the table is a non-starter for me, IF I have the possibility to walk away whole. In addition, I am basically retired and it's not like I have a tight schedule or anything. If I was still running my business, I'm sure I would have looked for a quicker fix.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Glad it is over with this lemon as I read from your other thread the buy-back is approved. That is some sweet sweet lemonade.
Streamliner (06-24-2023)